Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 6,801 to 6,820 of 70,066

MumboJumbo

A crossover like this wouldn't have been possible 5 or 10 years ago, with Iwata's comments on the devaluing of their IPs. But Nintendo's overall approach has changed in the past couple of years. Kimishima now appears to be embracing the leveraging of IPs to increase their exposure and appeal.

How many Mario games there will be on launch day? As far as I am aware, Nintendo has never launched a system with more than 1 Mario game.

Edited on by MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo

Peek-a-boo

@Whitewatermoose Maybe the truth is is that there's (currently) very little third party support?

Just a wild guess.

Peek-a-boo

Shinion

@Whitewatermoose We're in "worse case scenario" territory already? What armour do I need to survive that kind of fallout?

Shinion

Luna_110

Or maybe Nintendo has terrible NDA on third parties?

I mean, we usually don't get leaks on any third party project for 3DS when they come - we didn't see, for example, SMTIV Final coming. Or TMS#FE on the Wii U.

Hell, nobody said a squeak about Bayonetta 2 coming to the Wii U - for everyone, it was dead!

We're not at a worst scenario yet guys, when we don't even know the official line up launch. It only means Laura's main informants are close to Nintendo, not other devs.

@Whitewatermoose

DQX and DQXI are confirmed to port to the Switch, by Square Enix.
I've heard rumors that both FFXV and FFVII Remake will also be ported.

Edited on by Luna_110

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Shinion

@Luna_110 well Laura's main sources are from Ubisoft and one of Nintendo's European branches, most likely UK, which is why Eurogamer are also ITK. For EA, Warner Bros, Bethesda and the like the Switch isn't likely to be high on their agenda ATM so any truly surprising leaks from them are unlikely. Ubisoft have been renowned for leaks for years now leading to them including a hacking mission in Watch Dogs 2 that ended up outing one of their projects. Seems they're content to let the leaks happen as they may.

So I don't think the writing is on the wall yet as to what 3rd party games will be on this system. But I doubt that Bethesda have anything other than Skyrim, or that EA are prepping all their upcoming games either. It is still way too early to judge.

Shinion

Buizel

@MarcelRguez A lot of those seem too good to be true...

As for Pokemon Stars...I'm having trouble believing that we'd get a cross-generational "third version" when Gamefreak are moving away from third versions in favour of more frequent new releases.

Then again it's probably the easiest way to get a proper Pokemon RPG in your console's first year so maybe there was some pressure from Nintendo.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Octane

Buizel wrote:

As for Pokemon Stars...I'm having trouble believing that we'd get a cross-generational "third version" when Gamefreak are moving away from third versions in favour of more frequent new releases.

Wait, so now that they skipped a third version once, it has become the norm?

Octane

Buizel

@Octane Twice, I'd say. Black2/White2 were very different from the first two.

My point is more-so: we've never seen a cross-generational Pokemon generation, and Game Freak usually aren't quick to jump onto the next Nintendo platform. So news of a Switch version would be surprising, and a first.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Octane

@Buizel Doesn't change the fact that those two games are essentially third versions, difference is that they came in pairs as well. X&Y were the exception, probably to get a new generation ready in time for the 20th anniversary. Third versions are cheap to make and they make a lot of money, I don't think they want to ditch that concept anytime soon.

Octane

Nicolai

The Switch already has Skyrim. Slap CoD and Minecraft on there, and you've got most of the mainstream 3rd party market covered. I'm not saying its ideal, but I'd say having Elder Scrolls in the ranks of Nintendo Switch has already pulled it out of "worst case scenario" land.

I kinda hope this Rabbids crossover isn't true... I find Rabbids very... hard to watch.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Joeynator3000

....I had a dream that I finally got my hands on the Switch...
...It was the ugliest, most poorly made system ever. It didn't work, and for some odd reason I was still amazed by it. lol

...Is it March yet? xD

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

shingi_70

@Buizel

It could be a sequel like Black and White 2 were

It sounds like a third version that's using HD assets and has added content.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Azooooz

All the information on the web so far are treated as rumours. I, for one, don't trust these kinds of information, because I want to find out from Nintendo themselves. I expect a huge surprise from them.

Can't January come any sooner?

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Shinion

One thing I am in agreement with that is floating around in regards to Pokémon Stars is that I doubt it will be shown in the January event. I think Nintendo will be confident enough in the lineup if games without it and considering this 'enhanced' version's original games will only be a couple of months old in January I think it would be bad form to announce it then, compared to Mario Kart 8 which came out in May 2014 and Splatoon May 2015.

I expect it will be at E3, or maybe announced by The Pokémon Company is another way a few months after the Switch is released.

Shinion

Buizel

Thinking about it, I'd honestly be very surprised if the Switch had little to no third party support.

Nintendo's handhelds have usually had a fair amount of support from third parties, and the disparity between home and handheld systems in these cases has been massive (such that third party support on handhelds has either been reworked versions of console games, rereleased of older console games, or completely original titles). If the Switch is capable of playing essentially the same games as the current generation of consoles, then there's a lot less work required in order to support the console, compared with previous generations. I guess a counterargument is that the gaming landscape has changed, with Western third parties going for large, triple-A titles, and smaller games shifting to mobile.

Again, it really comes down to how well the Switch sells. If it has a decent install base, I'm sure third parties will jump on it.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Nicolai

I don't know if this has been brought up here yet, but the Nvidia CEO seems to claim that despite the different architectures, porting from PS4/Xbox One to Switch will be easy compared to the Wii U. I mean, obviously it doesn't mean as much coming from the company itself, but do you think there's some truth to what he's saying? It's in line with what's been said in past rumors after all, with people apparently trying to get PS4 games to run on it.

Nvidia: Porting PS4, Xbox One, and PC games to Nintendo Switc...

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

IceClimbers

So let me get this straight. There's gonna be a 3D Mario, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Pokemon Stars, Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Pikmin 4, a new IP, whatever Retro's working on, and Mario RPG: Invasion of the Rabbids all in the first year?!

That's INSANE. If that's all true, that's one of the best 1st years for a platform ever. Nintendo would be firing on all cylinders. That's not even accounting for 3rd party titles like Skyrim.

That begs the question though: what would they have for year 2?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Buizel

IceClimbers wrote:

That begs the question though: what would they have for year 2?

Probably half of the games you listed, after delays

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic