Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 4,781 to 4,800 of 70,025

skywake

Octane wrote:

HDR is a separate feature from 4K, HDR (high dynamic range) refers to the contrast, or a higher contrast of colours in this case. It's ''newer'' tech than 4K, so I've only seen it in 4K TVs yet. Technically 1080p HDR TVs could exist, but I don't think they currently do.

BTW, just to be clear. When they talk about HDR what they mean is this:
Untitled

Where the triangle represents the range of colours that can be displayed. As an improvement over this which is the standard for HDTV. Or whatever I guess we're calling "non-HDR" now. I believe the marketing term for it used to be "deep colour".... though maybe that referred to something else
Untitled

HDR is just a marketing term, the above improvement in colour space is what it actually means. Whether or not the TV you have can even display anywhere near that is a different question entirely. Forget 4K, how long until OLED becomes cheap enough to be mainstream?

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Therad

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

@skywake

Misunderstand what? The comments of a man who saw significant potential problems with the Wii U that his colleagues who foolishly thought the Wii U would sell like hotcakes refused to see?

You can even forget about the comments (which you're wrong about) and simply return to the mistakes that I and @Bolt_Strike already listed for you. Deny them all you want, but people aren't realizing those mistakes in hindsight. So far, you're literally the only one in this thread who will defend the absurd notion that Nintendo made no mistakes during this console generation. It's downright embarrassing.

Kimishima only said it wouldn't sell 100 million. Nothing about it would be their worst selling console.

And Skywake didn't say they didn't do any mistakes, he wanted you to list them. Since you say they have done sooo many mistakes, the burden of proof is on you, since it was your argument. And while you are at it, also give some proof that it is detrimental to nintendo that they are adapting their reveal time frame to suite the internet age, instead of using the old magasine age.

Stop shifting the goalposts all the time.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

skywake

That Kimishima quote wasn't:
"The Wii sold well but the Wii U is no Wii so this thing is going to be our worst selling console ever"

I think any sane reading of it would take it as:
"The Wii was the third best selling home console ever. We'd be very lucky to repeat that so I don't expect it"

Edited on by skywake

erv

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

@skywake

Misunderstand what? The comments of a man who saw significant potential problems with the Wii U that his colleagues who foolishly thought the Wii U would sell like hotcakes refused to see?

You can even forget about the comments (which you're wrong about) and simply return to the mistakes that I and @Bolt_Strike already listed for you. Deny them all you want, but people aren't realizing those mistakes in hindsight. So far, you're literally the only one in this thread who will defend the absurd notion that Nintendo made no mistakes during this console generation. It's downright embarrassing.

I can list one. Calling it wii U.

Everybody was already saying how that's a bad idea, it turned out to be just that. Not hindsight; we already knew before launch it was a bad idea.

It didn't help that nintendo did not invest in controlling the narrative on the internets too. That made it into a lame duck with a bad image. That's another.

And that's it to be honest. I'm playing the best console generation yet with my wii U and am still playing it daily. There's so many great games! It sold poorly and I don't care.

And that's it. I agree with @skywake here. Some of those mistakes really are to be celebrated because nintendo gave it a shot. Looking back they turned out badly, such is life. I'm looking forward to whatever that shot is next time with nx, while playing my non existing list of enormous mistakes.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

skywake

If taking risks and doing the opposite of what the focus groups is a bad decision? I want Nintendo to keep making bad decisions. I don't want Nintendo to be releasing hardware and content that's note for note what they "should be doing". Because as soon as they do? They'll have no reason to exist. They day they do that is the day I stop buying consoles and stick with PCs

Edited on by skywake

dtjive

Anyone else wonder whether Nintendo might use pokemon go data to help understand how to market this/where to market this thing. Pokemon Go has to have access to your location all the time when playing so Nintendo must get a load of information about the kind of consumer who plays it and would likely be the prime market they want to crack into...

Edit: I know Nintendo doesn't own pokemon go but they still make money off it so wouldn't surprise me if they get access to data from it as well

Edited on by gcunit

dtjive

gcunit

@dtjive Since mid-August 2016 you've used profanity on this site at least 5 times. Profanity is not allowed here, as per the Community Rules.

Please amend your approach to posting here so that it doesn't happen again, or we'll have to consider further action. Thanks.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

rallydefault

@BiasedSonyFan

You are arguing that forum users, gamers, like us, and the video game media make a substantial impact on the industry in the form of success/failure of games, hardware, etc. If you don't want to admit that a study of ACTUAL forum traffic, website traffic, etc. juxtaposed to actual software/hardware sales is warranted in that scenario to take a look at sample size percentage, then you're arguing your point with emotion only.

Your latest post shows me you are not willing to dig into the logical side of things, but instead just want to cross your arms like a 10 year-old and keep saying, "Nuh-uh! I do SO matter!"

Which, after reading your comments, seems pretty par for the course.

rallydefault

Grandpa_Pixel

skywake wrote:

If taking risks and doing the opposite of what the focus groups is a bad decision? I want Nintendo to keep making bad decisions. I don't want Nintendo to be releasing hardware and content that's note for note what they "should be doing". Because as soon as they do? They'll have no reason to exist. They day they do that is the day I stop buying consoles and stick with PCs

Exactly this! The problem with Xbox and Playstation is they share pretty much everything. Hardware power, games, etc. You never need to buy two to enjoy most of the games. As a result I never bought an Xbox.

But with Nintendo consoles, there are its quirks, its IPs, its family friendly approach. Everything about Nintendo screams unique. They ever look at multiplayer in a different approach. Nintendo makes it necessary to have a 2nd console to enjoy all the major hit titles each year. That's why I nowadays buy a Nintendo console day 1 and a Playstation console at the end of its cycle.

Grandpa_Pixel

Haru17

Aaaaaand It's October.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

MarcelRguez

@Grandpa_Pixel Might I suggest an alternative proposition? Mimic the business model of the fourth console generation and make consoles with dispair specs and libraries. Nintendo can still make a regular console without it needing to follow the PlayStation standard. The GameCube was a decent shot at that, at least conceptually. Having a regular console doesn't mean they have to abandon their design quirks.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Grandpa_Pixel

MarcelRguez wrote:

@Grandpa_Pixel Might I suggest an alternative proposition? Mimic the business model of the fourth console generation and make consoles with dispair specs and libraries. Nintendo can still make a regular console without it needing to follow the PlayStation standard. The GameCube was a decent shot at that, at least conceptually. Having a regular console doesn't mean they have to abandon their design quirks.

It might be possible. However Nintendo never perform as well when they try to butt heads with them as they do when they innovate. I would welcome the hybrid as it will be a step up for handhelds and allow Nintendo to innovate.

But I would not mind a normal console with the Nintendo brand. It has its perks

Grandpa_Pixel

Bluefiregamer

I really hope the NX is revealed this month though. Don't think waiting untill November or December is the best choice for them to make. Not solely because I want it but youve got Sony to worry about during the holidays.

Its dangerous to go alone take this.

MarcelRguez

@Grandpa_Pixel I don't think there's a correlation between innovation and success when it comes to Nintendo hardware. There's the Wii and DS, for sure, but their massive success didn't happen just because they were innovative devices. A lot of factors were involved, it was more of a "being in the right place at the right time" scenario.

We could even discuss how innovative the N64 was. The use of an analog joystick to control a character in a full 3D world was nothing short of innovative back then, and it didn't come at the cost of raw power. Despite that fact, it didn't do that great.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

The problem with the Wii U's core concept is that it just didn't provide a clear, easy to understand benefit. With Nintendo's other innovations you could eyeball their consoles or at least summarize them in one sentence to describe what's unique about them. N64 had 3D level design. DS had a touch screen. Wii had motion controls. But how do you describe what's different about the Wii U? Saying it's a tablet controller doesn't help demonstrate how the Wii U is different easily, a tablet isn't all that different from the DS and 3DS. And Off-TV play isn't something that provides a clear benefit to gameplay. The only thing that it can really do different from other consoles is that the second screen isn't fixed, but how do you explain or demonstrate that? Forget the bad marketing, the fact that they even had to explain what it was showed it was a bad idea. Nintendo's innovations are usually very simple and clear, something that a casual gamer could immediately understand. The Wii U wasn't simple by any means.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

skywake

The same was true for the DS early on. The touch screen was really just a fancy way to interact with a map or menu. Even if the biggest games on the system early on basically ignored the feature. Mini-games aside. Then they released games like Brain Training and it started to make a bit more sense. Literally a game about doing mental maths. It was a similar deal with the Wii U I'd argue. Though with the Wii U it also sold poorly so it'll always be looked at that through the lens of failure.

That's basically what I've been saying here. The big mistake Nintendo made was that they took a risk that didn't pay off. And because it didn't pay off we can all sit here in 2016 and talk about how bad a move it was. And in hindsight it obviously was. But I think you're full of crap if you think it was predictable. I also think it wouldn't be a good thing if Nintendo refused to take those sort of risks.

Edited on by skywake

LzWinky

3DS and DS had a slow start. The DS didn't explode until the Lite came out. The Wii U just never had a moment like that.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

erv

Plot twist: nintendo starts selling 30 million wii u's, decides to support the console for 2 more years delaying the nx.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic