Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 47,781 to 47,800 of 70,009

Haruki_NLI

@link3710 Terry was likely picked for the upcoming Samurai Showdown at the time, the recent SNK Heroines, the glut of retro SNK on Switch.

Joker....yeah you got me there.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 @Haruki_NLI About Terry, I think it was a case of Terry in Smash being a promotion for SNK as a whole. I'd guess King of Fighters XV will come to Switch too.

As for Joker, there were the teases for P5R and P5S around the time Joker was announcement for Smash. Guess you could also count Persona Q2 but releasing games for 3DS at that point was pretty much sending it out to die.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

Cotillion wrote:

I'd think Metroid Prime trilogy would have been delayed due to Prime 4 being restarted as it'd be a good appetizer releasing it a few months ahead of 4.

Few months? No adult with a busy life is gonna get anywhere finishing all 3 of those in a few months. I think they could do it a year ahead and it'll have the same effect

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy I think that would be the strategy, if Prime Trilogy Switch exists the plan before Prime 4 was restarted was probably:

Prime Trilogy - Early 2019
Prime 4 - Early 2020

Don't get the Bayonetta strategy though.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

sixrings

@Dezzy I agree. Four metroid games in a 6 month span is too much. I'd much rather them release the games one every 6 months over two years.

sixrings

JaxonH

@link3710
The leak says Galaxy 2 is not included. So just 3 games.

The leak doesn’t mention any VC games either. It simply states a 3-game collection (Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy) and a port of 3D World.

I’m not saying other stuff can’t happen but it wasn’t part of the leak.

edit
Now that I did a search I’m seeing all kinds of conflicting info. One site claims Galaxy 2 is included but Idk if that’s speculation. Or not. Also saying back catalog but doesn’t expound on what that means (assume the collection and 3D World would account for most of the back catalog).

Either way, we can guess at what’s included all day but none of us really know until they announce it. The point I was originally making is that I believe the leak is legitimate. Too many sites reported it and are extremely confident in. A collection of some kind is coming, and 3D World (and lets not forget Paper Mario). Wouldn’t surprise me if there were some other odds and ins, but given Mario 1, 2, 3 and World are already on Nintendo Online, not really sure what else there is to bring.

Fingers crossed Galaxy 2 in included. It would be odd to leave the game out. But this is Nintendo and Odd is their middle name.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

Star Fox Grand Prix comes to mind, remember how many reporters fell for that one. To me the most believable Nintendo rumours at the moment are 3D World and Pikmin 3 being ported to Switch (that was present before the 3D Mario collection rumour) and no June 2020 Direct (even Microsoft delayed their E3 plans to July).

Grumblevolcano

JaxonH

And Star Fox Grand Prix is the reason we don’t take it as 100% certainty.

But just because games have been rumored that didn’t come to fruition doesn’t mean we err on the side of gross negligence. Far more confident, widely reported leaks pan out than don’t.

Nobody is saying it is written in stone, but it is far more likely than not.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@Grumblevolcano @Haruki_NLI

Yes, but by that definition any character from an active franchise is a promo pick. I feel like there's a difference between a choice that's solely for promotion (DQ11 as the lead hero, Byleth being decided before they knew if they'd be well received), and a pick that vaguely promotes games solely because that franchise is always releasing new titles and that character is in all of them (Terry) or is a fan favorite (Joker)

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Well you've also got to think whether the rumour is Nintendo-like which the collection isn't. Nintendo hasn't released a collection in 8 years (Kirby), afterwards always deciding to release games individually because more profit. Regarding the games in question the most profit would be obtained in 1 of 2 ways:

1. The games being released individually so like 64 this year, Sunshine next year, etc.
or
2. Put the games on NSO and increase the price of NSO (e.g. $60 a year)

Grumblevolcano

Dezzy

JaxonH wrote:

@link3710
The leak says Galaxy 2 is not included. So just 3 games.

Which leak said this? It would be pretty bizarre if it included 64, Sunshine and Galaxy, but not Galaxy 2.

A lot of people would say Galaxy 2 is the best game Nintendo have ever made. It would made no sense to leave that out. The Galaxy games are the ones that need the least work too. Just a straight port to HD and some new controls and it's fine.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I would argue to the contrary. It seems very Nintendo-like.

Theyve released plenty of collections, especially Mario. And theres good reason as they specifically cited his anniversary being the motive.

They wont released individually. Either the collection comes or none come. The likelihood the leak was completely false despite multiple sites reporting it but they also just coincidentally release the same exact games separately is negligible at best. Certainly not on Nintendo Online. That's NES and SNES only.

@Dezzy
I said the exact same thing in my above post, that "it would be odd to leave that game out". But plenty of sites reported only 3 games in the collection. At least one reported 4 which others repeated, but not sure if it was speculation.

NintendoByNature

I've said this in a couple articles, but with Nintendo having to delay games due to the virus ( I believe they said games will be delayed if i read correctly), why not open the flood gates back up to vc and drop gb, gba, ds, n64, cube and Wii games. I think dropping a few of those systems heavy hitters on the eshop to buy would satiate some of the hunger for new stuff.

It would go against their switch online plan, but at this point, wouldn't having the majority of the year with nothing to drop or announce be worse?

Maybe it's me, but I'd be more than happy after xc:de ( which its looking like im grabbing), and clubhouse games, to have a boat load of old Nintendo classics dropped on us over the next 6 months to fill the dead space..

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

I think a lot of people would be game for a VC dump.

Unfortunately, Nintendo seems to want to ration their ammo for the service. And perhaps even ration it throughout the following generation as well.

I suspect we will just have NES and SNES for Switch, with N64 and GBA added during the Switch 2 lifespan. That way they are always adding a little more incentive, carefully rationed over time, for people to sign up.

I doubt we’ll ever get GameCube. I think those games, being 3D and somewhat modern enough, are just going to provide fodder for remakes and re-masters over the next 15 years. Especially because, at $19.99 a year, people could never buy a game again and just live off the service alone, if GameCube and Wii were included. I’m not expecting much for $20/yr. Even N64 seems fanciful to me at this point.

Not that I really care. I think I’m kind of over the Nintendo backlog thing. There’s only a select few games I really care about playing and I’ve got them all on dolphin, got most of em on Wii U (including GameCube since the vWii mode is modded). And while I would definitely take them on switch they just don’t have the appeal to me they once did.

Give me Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade Remake and the Mario Collection, and Im good. Aside from DKC Returns, Sin & Punishment 2 and F-Zero GX, Im just not sure how many games I’d actually care to play. Maybe the Zelda games from GC. Paper Mario Thousand Year Door... so ok, there’s a couple, but still doesn’t have that magical allure it once did.

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Nintendo's only done 1 Mario collection (Super Mario All Stars for SNES which the identical collection was ported to Wii in 2010). It's like how Prime Trilogy is more likely than the 3 Prime games separately because the collection already exists.

I think GBA and N64 are likely for NSO (1 system for September 2020, 1 system for September 2021) so Mario 64 would be in the N64 launch batch. Beyond that I think is unlikely given Nintendo's remade most of the big GB games, they constantly ignore the GC's existence, DS/3DS/Wii would have control issues and Nintendo ports Wii U games as standalone retail releases. So if the collection isn't real I think we'd get Mario 64 but not Sunshine or the Galaxy games on the Switch.

Grumblevolcano

JaxonH

I think the fact Nintendo went after the Mario 64 PC port so quickly is the final piece of evidence that really drives home that the Collection is coming. Just like Samus Returns and how they went after AM2R. They’ve got a release coming whose sales depend on it.

We’ll all be playing the 3D Mario games on Switch by November. Of that I am confident.

And honestly, I never played Sunshine, Galaxy or Galaxy 2 so they will be most welcome. Could definitely go for a Mario 64 playthrough though. Last time I played that game was on the DS in like... 2006? I’d much rather have a full remake in the Odyssey engine but, we all know that’s too much to ask from Nintendo. Just an HD port seems to be the limit of what they’re willing to offer.

Also, gotta say. Trials Rising is legitimately one of the best video games of all time. Very few games are as skill-based, or are as rewarding for time investment and skill progression (real skill progression, not increasing numbers in a stats list). I keep coming back to this game. And now I beat the final Extreme Track in the base game, Inferno V. There was a time I thought even the first jump in that course was impossible.

Just watch this, it’s mindblowing.

Edited on by JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I think the reason Nintendo went after Mario 64 PC so quickly is because it was reported on. Same thing happened to all those Nintendo creations in Dreams (PS4).

Grumblevolcano

Tyranexx

I'd be on board for a Super Mario 64 remaster. I played the DS version but just couldn't get into it, then played the N64 original on the Wii U VC at a later point. It's definitely a decent game for its time, but I found Mario to be a bit slippery. It could definitely use a modern tune-up.

I've never played Super Mario Sunshine, so that making the Switch would be an insta-buy.

Both Super Mario Galaxy games would be welcome as well, but I'd skip them; I still have both Wii titles and didn't play the second game too terribly long ago.

Super Mario 3D World seems almost a given, though I likewise wouldn't double-dip for the game.

I'd be interested in seeing what happens with the Paper Mario series on the Switch; I'd be fine with either a new entry or a port of at least one of the first two games. The only PM titles I've played are Super Paper Mario (amazing) and Color Splash (decent overall, but that battle system....).

@link3710 I figured at the time that if that image was referring to anything at all, it was likely in the DLC department as well. As usual, I treated it as a "Wait and see", not a "Nintendo is TOTALLY doing this!"

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Grumblevolcano

Decided to double dip (digital and physical) for both Wonderful 101 and Xenoblade. I'll delete the digital version when the physical version arrives but I really want to return back to playing a lot of Switch so I don't want to wait extra days (or 1.5 months in Wonderful 101's case) waiting for the physical version to arrive. My times mostly playing XB1 were still fun but to be honest I had more fun playing the big pile of Switch games I got in late December.

Grumblevolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Why not keep the digital installed for easy access? Unless you beat the games by then and need space.

I became accustomed to having instant access to my entire library, and keep everything installed digitally ready to go (at least, everything I can fit on a 1TB card... The games I feel less enthusiastic about overtime for whatever reason tend to get archived, until a 2TB card releases down the line).

But ya. As a backer, it was nice getting Wonderful 101 2 weeks early on Switch and Steam (free Steam code for physical backers). I’m playing now, actually. I remember loving this game so much, but it is a game where it takes at least a chapter or two to really click. It’s just so different. It’s why a lot of people were put off by the demo because it’s just not the type of game that conveys its appeal in 20 minutes. Takes getting used to the controls and learning the flow of the game before that moment hits you and you go into “the zone’ where everything is reflexive without even thinking about it

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic