Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Haruki_NLI

So the full timeline for EA Switch stance is thus:

Early 2017: We want to see how FIFA 18 sells before supporting.

Late 2017: Frostbite wont run. Well I mean, we didn't try but...

• Early 2018 We want to see total demand for the system after a year before supporting further.

Mid 2018: FIFA 19 is coming, but we want to see demand after 2018 before deciding

Mid 2019: FIFA 20 is Legacy.

Now: EA games aren't played on Switch okay bye.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

FragRed

@Knuckles-Fajita I get the impression that EA really had no desire to support the Switch from day one but were forced to do something due to FIFA contractual obligations and to stop shareholders getting nasty, in the hopes that the console was going to bomb like the Wii U.

However, when the Switch started to sell incredible well and continue to do so year after year, it pretty much gave EA no real easy way to drop support..

And that is why they're coming out with "no one plays our games on the Switch even though we deliberately gave as little attention to the ports as possible".

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Haruki_NLI

@FragRed I mean, we all knew this was coming from day one. Literally everyone and their mother called it, its just the list of excuses before just flat out admitting "Screw it" is impressive.

I'm torn on if this is a more impressive way to drop support by saying "Our games aren't played on Switch because none are there" than "Well selling Mass Effect 3 for full price right after the trilogy launched for less didn't work. Why didn't you guys buy it?"

Therad

Don't forget that FIFA 18 and 19 was watered down versions as well.

And using FIFA sales is just a scapegoat. Just because a sports game doesn't work, it doesn't mean fps or open world adventure games will fail as well.

Therad

Magician

EvilLucario wrote:

Looks like Nintendo is...

Lite-ing up some wallets.

Yup. I was mildly interested the Pokémon Z/Z edition, but the first batch sold through on Amazon in a heartbeat, while the three other color options top the Amazon sales charts as well. There's little doubt that the Switch will hit that 18m sales goal by March 2020. Gonna sell like hot cakes come Holiday season.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

FragRed

@Knuckles-Fajita Yeah that is true, it is pretty telling especially as they never even bothered trying any other type of game, even Plants Vs Zombies didn't get a port which is just mind boggling especially as Activision seem to be able to do a better job with porting games over that actually make sense. But at some point I am sure EA will try and pull support from Xbox and PlayStation just as soon as they figure out how to force everyone onto whatever streaming service they launch.

And that meme is so perfect for EA, you could slap any of their studios in place for the Switch and it will still work.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Haruki_NLI

@FragRed Thing is, even bloody Microsoft is seeing "We have IP that fit this market, like Cuphead, like Hellblade, like Outer Worlds, like Lucky.... let's put it on Switch".

EA has IP that would work, like that Burnout remaster, but no.

FragRed

@Knuckles-Fajita And that is the thing I just cannot understand. For a company that had a pretty lackluster 2018 in terms of revenue, they sure don't seem bothered about leaving money on the table. It's almost like they have some bizarre other motives for not wanting to do it.

Haruki_NLI

@FragRed It's obvious.

Revenue falls. They blame consoles and license fees. Much like how they said games are too expensive and thus need in-app purchases.

Then they use this to justify a streaming only future, with no license fees, no physical costs.

JaxonH

EA wants Nintendo to go 3rd party so they have one less platform to worry about making games for.

Their egos convinced them THEY decide what platforms succeed or fail, and purposely withdrew support in hopes of Switch failing. Now they're upset because it's a roaring success in spite of them.

For a company as greedy as EA, only a grudge could keep them from cashing in even more. Regardless of how many people play their games elsewhere there's still plenty of additional money to be made (see Blizzard, Activision, Ubisoft, etc).

Think I'll just cancel my Star Wars preorder. It's the ONLY EA game I was gonna buy on other consoles (though I might buy more it they were actually on Switch), but at this point... I just dont need it. And have no desire to support them on other platforms after that statement. Bring games to Switch or find someone else to sell to. Sure, theyll still make money, but they'll be making much less.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@JaxonH Yeah, I'm dodging Star Wars as well. EA is just too much of a mess to support, as much as I'm interested in the game. Of course, if it ends up free on Playstation Plus I might get it, or used years down the road, but I refuse to buy any of their games new.

Probably the only thing that could convince me to spend money on them is an amazing Mass Effect game (not gonna happen), a proper well done sequel to Sonic: The Dark Brotherhood (not gonna happen) or the Mass Effect trilogy on a handheld with gyro (also not gonna happen, even on future systems, unless Microsoft or Sony dip back into the handheld market).

Unfortunately, we all know they killed Bioware, so hoping for anything good to happen with that company's games is pointless.

link3710

Ralizah

I don't doubt that the vast majority of their game sales are on other platforms. Even if they weren't poorly optimized for the platform, they've spent generations training their audience to buy Xbox and Playstation consoles to play their games. Most of their casual consumer base bought a PS4/Xbone years ago and just automatically picks up the newest sports game or multiplayer shooter whenever they release, and aren't even aware of the Nintendo versions. Bethesda at least had the right attitude about this issue: they realized they needed to cultivate a relationship with Nintendo gamers. EA doesn't want to bother with that.

I'd probably buy a Mass Effect Trilogy collection on Switch, but, otherwise, you couldn't pay me to play the majority of their games. So no huge loss for me.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

HobbitGamer

Only Mass Effect Trilogy on Switch would get me to dip. I actually enjoyed Andromeda, but that was the last EA game I bought. Even Unravel 2 doesn’t appeal to me.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

DenDen

Doesnt suprise me at all, EA is TOXIC .
Last game I enjoyed from them whas, Dante's Inferno, and mass effect (the time I still bought sometimes other consoles then Nintendo ones.
But serousley most of there games are one big glitchfest or easy money makers.

And no its not that strange FIFA doesnt sell well on the switch the versions we get are to keep it friendly not so good.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

EvilLucario

Bro, EA's reasoning for no support is hilariously out of touch. Like, what??????

Also, they've literally only put out like one absolutely amazing game this generation, and that's Titanfall 2. Everything else can be left behind. It's not like EA can make quality games anyways.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Banjo-

Is there an official list of games that support and not support cloud saves on Switch?

Banjo-

Ralizah

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda

Not only has BotW outsold every other game in the series (even adding subsequent re-releases to the total), but it has actually outsold Super Mario Odyssey as well. Which would be the first time a Zelda game has ever outsold a same-generation mainline Mario game.

That's... really impressive.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JoyBoy

^ And well-deserved!

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic