Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 42,241 to 42,260 of 69,964

JaxonH

@BlueOcean
Not 100% sure, but I think pretty much every game supports cloud saves except Dark Souls, Pokemon, Splatoon, Minecraft (has it's own cloud saves), Civilization VI (has it's own cloud saves), Fortnite (may have it's own cloud saves?) and a small handful of other competitive online only games (many of which have their own cloud save options). Animal Crossing may also not support cloud saves.

But ya, I think that's basically all the exceptions, or close to all of them anyways. Everything else should be supported. I may have forgotten a couple, naturally.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NEStalgia

Keep in mind EA was founded largely as an anti-Nintendo company. And back when they were founded they were actually in the right. Nintendo was a nasty, nasty monopoly who abused their position. EA was the counter to that. But then it went to their heads, they tried to take Sega for a ride, and then they got used to their sports dominance. Trip Hawkins wasn't the greatest guy in the industry, and he's still involved with EA, but he wasn't the kind of awful that EA is with it's current management. So "hate Nintendo" is part of their corporate mission statement, essentially, from the start. I wouldn't even mind if they were just holding true to hating Nintendo. The real problem is they just suck everywhere, and are downright abusive to their customers, and probably could be hauled in for false advertising more times than not.

Of course if EA really wants Nintendo to go 3rd party they're even more stupid than they are arrogant. At least now Nintendo is contained in their own bubble, and as one of the only 4 publishers that rivals or surpasses their own size and power over the industry, it keeps them entirely away from competing against them in their home turf. If Nintendo ever did get unleashed as direct competition on all their favored platforms, I imagine that would hurt them more than help them. Unlike EA, not only is Nintendo itself a huge content-factory, but they also remember how to publish third party games as an actual publisher as well.

NEStalgia

TuVictus

Ralizah wrote:

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda

Not only has BotW outsold every other game in the series (even adding subsequent re-releases to the total), but it has actually outsold Super Mario Odyssey as well. Which would be the first time a Zelda game has ever outsold a same-generation mainline Mario game.

That's... really impressive.

I'm super happy for Nintendo and all the fans of the game. Personally, though, it's hard not to be a bit bummed in the sense that BOTW isn't the direction I was hoping mainline Zeldas would go. Still, though, it's not just about me and if everyone else really loves that formula for the franchise, I can't say I blame them. I can't wait to see what they do with the sequel

TuVictus

Ralizah

@PikPi I could see them re-introducing somewhat more traditional Zelda-esque elements in the sequel. After all, they'll need to distinguish the gameplay from its predecessor, and it's set in the same version of Hyrule.

Actually, they'll kind of have to, I think. The shrines wouldn't make any sense in a post-BotW timeline.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Joeynator3000

.....So....I saw this Tweet.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

darkfenrir

It means Switch owners will get sick. Quarantining your Switch might work :^)

darkfenrir

Joeynator3000

Seriously though, I've been hoping for this during the Wii U days. xD

I wonder how it'll be controlled when docked.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Yeah, the shrines were kind of a cop out of "well we spent all our money on the overworld. so we don't have much underworld to explore." But in a full sequel, not just DLC, we need new things to explore...and we've already seen the overworld...so I suspect it'll need a lot of underworld content of some sort to have "new" while the overworld continues to connect it all.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I don't think they were a cop-out. They were a great way to both constantly encourage exploration and experiment with puzzle ideas related to the new physics engine.

The thing is that the sheikah created the shrines to test and strengthen the hero in preparation for his conflict with Calamity Ganon. But Calamity Ganon was defeated at the end of BotW, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense for more of these shrines to pop up when some probably unexpected threat appears in Hyrule.

DenDen

@Joeynator3000
Hmm I think the hype of this game is over now?whould try it though

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Magician

Ugh, I thought September was bad. October will cut me no slack. I count half a dozen rpg games that I'll be buying without question. And that doesn't include Baldur's Gate I & II and Planescape & Icewind Dale which were delayed into October.
Untitled

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

NEStalgia

@Ralizah They were something of a cop out, only a very few of them had really interconnected puzzles. The rest were just one-puzzle-per-room non-explorational tests. They felt like Portal test chambers. Yes, they gave more reason to explore, but they were also a compromise. Zelda 1 had a huge overworld to explore (for its era) like BOTW, and dungeons weren't much "puzzles" but they were large mazes with tons of hidden secrets "bomb all the walls, push all the blocks!" Zelda 2....was an RPG, that doesn't count. ALttP and onward followed the formula of "puzzle dungeons" the grew in complexity. BOTW turned back the clock to the first one, got rid of the puzzle dungeons, made a big overworld to explore, but stuck individual machine puzzles in the shrines as kind of a compromise. Exploring the overworld was the game this time.

But now we've already explored it, mapped it, and know where what is. So in order to re-use the same Hyrule that we already explored, exploring that world can't be the gameplay hook this time. So there either has to be a maze/puzzle/subterranean structure that becomes the hook, or a time/dimension traveling hook so it's actually a different hyrule (but that would cost too much time and money to do New Hyrule.) And as a full-on sequel we know it's not some cheezy DLC type "lets add some stuff to the world", it' has to re-use the same huge world yet be all new.

NEStalgia

gcunit

I'm holidaying on an island this week. Went for an exploratory run this evening, running up the hills, seeing landmarks in the distance and running to them. Felt so much connection with Breath of the Wild and exploring Hyrule as I was doing it, though had to contend with the some thicker vegetation at times, and couldn't find any horses to 'jack, so it was hard going doing multiple hill climbs. Would love the next Zelda game to throw in some thicker vegetation now.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Many Zelda games have had very rudimentary dungeons that weren't really interconnected, either. Aside from Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask (and maybe Skyward Sword; I haven't played it yet, so I don't know), Zelda dungeons tend to be themed nests of locks and keys interspersed with minigames (shoot an eyeball on a wall; push a block around; defeat an enemy). Despite how quickly they go by, the Divine Beasts are actually much more creative than the dungeons in many Zelda games I've played in terms of being big, interconnected puzzles.

Anyway, dividing the usual puzzles and fights into separate shrines allow the developers to often make them larger and more elaborate than the single-room puzzles you would have typically found in Zelda dungeons. They also served a narrative purpose and fed into the radically open game design of the experience.

The shrine approach was the right approach for BotW. I don't know that repeating the trick a second time would make a lot of sense, though. And given Nintendo's tendency to want to stuff new mechanics and whatnot into their games, I think BotW2 will likely end up being a very different experience from BotW1.

Edited on by Ralizah

EvilLucario

Holy **** it only took me until just now to realize the "BotW outselling Odyssey" statement took into account the Wii U version, and I was a guy who have both versions lmao. Oops.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

@RedderRugfish Wii U and Switch are same generation consoles. So it's like a multiplat release, just across Nintendo consoles.

Wii U copies account for less than 12% of total sales.

Anyway, BotW Switch seems to consistently sell more than SMO, so I'm guessing the Switch version will end up pulling ahead on its own within the year.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic