Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 37,121 to 37,140 of 69,997

WebHead

@JackEatsSparrows there'll be a die shrink for the soc to be more power efficient and a smaller switch would have a less power hungry screen. So no battwry life would not be a problem.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

WebHead

@Therad an HDS would be kinda dope. Regardless a proper replacement for 3DS has to come at some point.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

Toy_Link

MK8DX and SMO have outsold the Wii U:
Wii U: 13.56 million
SMO: 13.76 million
MK8DX: 15.02 million

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

cambotero

I can't really agree with you:
A supossed Tegra X1 chip built with 10 nm technology would in fact generate less heat and consume less power, but:
-The difference would not be enough for allowing to reduce the size of the batery in a noticeable amount. Remember that there are several other components consuming power, for example the screens are always responsable fro a high percentage of portable devices power consumption. Nintendo could look for a less power hungry screen, OLED technology for example, but it would be more expensive.
-The fan is already quite small, the limiting factor here is that you need to leave free space for the air to move out of the device.
-And last but not least: as far as I know, Tegra X1 is currently only available on 20 nm technology. It is a SOC that already is some years old, and I wouldn't expect Nvidia to do again all the layout and screening process and spend all the money that would be needed for manufacturing the SOC under a new technology. Even if they do, the result would be a more expensive SOC, as 10 nm manufactuing process is more expensive than 20 nm.

So, although I agree with you on the idea that Nintendo is going to release a new version of the Switch, that will be handheld only, I don't think that the main factor regarding size reduction of the device will be the manufacturing technology of the SOC.

Agriculture wrote:

WebHead wrote:

@JackEatsSparrows yes but still kinda bulky for one. Its beem successful but has not really caught on with kids. Plus 3ds is performing below projections as confirmed today. Nintendo had to slash thier 3ds forecast in half today. Its time for a proper replacement.

The Switch is actually built on 20 nm technology. The latest iPhone is on 7 nm. The latest iPhone to use 20 nm is the iPhone 6. In other words, there is a lot of room to make a smaller Switch. If they use a 10 nm process, then it would generate a significantly amount less heat, requiring a smaller fan. And the power consumption would be less, requiring a smaller battery. A Switch with the size and form factor of the PS Vita would probably be possible.

The only thing I would be concerned about is game compatibility if it doesn't have joycons.

cambotero

Toy_Link

Game copies sold between September 30th-December 31st:
Kirby Star Allies: .32 million (2.1 million →2.42 million)
Mario Tennis Aces: .37 million (2.16 million→2.53 million)
1 2 Switch: .22 million (2.64 million→2.86 million)
Super Mario Party: 5.30 million (0→5.30 million)
Splatoon 2: .80 million (7.47 million→ 8.27)
PLG: 10 million (0→10 million)
TLOZ: BOTW: 1.4 million (10.28 million →11.68 million)
Smash Ultimate: 12.08 million (0→12.08 million)
Super Mario Odyssey: 1.59 million (12.17 million→13.76 million)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 3.31 million (11.71 million→15.02 million)

Edited on by Toy_Link

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Therad

@cambotero this is my thinking. If they want to significantly reduce cost for an handheld, it should use another chipset. Which probably won't make it hardware compatible.

Therad

IceClimbers

Mobile is their entry point for young kids. Switch and Mobile are their two pillars.

Most likely scenario is that they release what's essentially their own version of an iPod Touch that will play microtransaction-free versions of their mobile titles. It will also have an app that plays GB/GBC games and that Game Boy grip that they patented will come with it. A Switch version of the GB/GBC app will launch later in the year for NSO subscribers.

They're not launching a completely new dedicated handheld.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Therad

@IceClimbers I thought so as well before, but I have changed my mind. I have nothing to back it up though.

Therad

TuVictus

I highly doubt Nintendo would release a handheld that isn't an actual handheld console. I see a 3DS successor or a Switch revision, but definitely not some Nintendo-app-only phone thing

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Aozz101x

Nintendo Switch Mini and another service for switch is coming mid 2019 according to Nikkei.
https://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-nikkei-claims-smaller-sw...

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@Aozz101x Forget Nikkei. We predicted that here in 2017!

Edit: Interesting about "service for those willing to pay more." Am I to assume this means SNES and above games will be a "premium" service? I can't imagine it's much more than that.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Therad

Aimed at gaming enthusiasts have me curious... It could mean a service like ea access. (Or a rebate system, which sounds more Nintendo)

Therad

Haruki_NLI

Youd say that paying more for more would be hated but...

Look at Xbox and PS. They have at least two subscription models per.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Buizel

Theoretically a vita form factor could retain compatibility with the joy con via Bluetooth.

That said, I think that messing with handheld or home only SKUs would muddle the Switch's messaging and I'm not in favour of it.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

TuVictus

@Buizel That's my view as well, but I expect it simply because that seems to be a very Nintendo thing to do, lol

TuVictus

WebHead

We had 2ds and 3ds. Most manufacturers in android release like 20 phones a year. We will be fine. Stop obssessing over it making sense with the name or not.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

HobbitGamer

Sorry, but comparing the cell phone market to the video game market isn't very well suited.
We had 2ds come about because 3ds sales kept lagging and 3d functionality wasn't well utilized overall. there simply wasnt enough of a price/value over the existing DSi/Lite for consumers. Considering that the Switch continues to move units and software, what really would be the point of a smaller unit with less features?

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Agriculture

cambotero wrote:

I can't really agree with you:
A supossed Tegra X1 chip built with 10 nm technology would in fact generate less heat and consume less power, but:
-The difference would not be enough for allowing to reduce the size of the batery in a noticeable amount. Remember that there are several other components consuming power, for example the screens are always responsable fro a high percentage of portable devices power consumption. Nintendo could look for a less power hungry screen, OLED technology for example, but it would be more expensive.
-The fan is already quite small, the limiting factor here is that you need to leave free space for the air to move out of the device.
-And last but not least: as far as I know, Tegra X1 is currently only available on 20 nm technology. It is a SOC that already is some years old, and I wouldn't expect Nvidia to do again all the layout and screening process and spend all the money that would be needed for manufacturing the SOC under a new technology. Even if they do, the result would be a more expensive SOC, as 10 nm manufactuing process is more expensive than 20 nm.

So, although I agree with you on the idea that Nintendo is going to release a new version of the Switch, that will be handheld only, I don't think that the main factor regarding size reduction of the device will be the manufacturing technology of the SOC.

1. Of course I also meant such a device would have a smaller screen, probably 5" like the PS Vita.

2. Nintendo is working closely with Nvidia now that the Switch is successful. You have to remember that the Tegra line of chips was a failure before the Switch. It was supposed to be used in higher performance tablets and set top boxes like the Shield, but it never took off. Now that the Nintendo Switch is successful, Nvidia will be very willing to either provide a shrunk down X1 chip for a Switch Slim, or a higher performing chip for a Switch Pro.

3. The 10 nm process if of course more expensive, but it also becomes cheaper with time. A reasonable time span might be that in late 2020 we will see either a Switch Slim or a Switch Pro. I'm guessing it will depend on what the competition is doing. If Sony release PS5 in 2020 Nintendo probably don't want to be left behind, and will release a next gen Switch Pro.

Agriculture

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic