Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 37,101 to 37,120 of 69,983

Lemmy_the_Koopa

@IceClimbers This is great news, as this is an indicator that non-Nintendo titles can have success on the Nintendo Switch.

Lemmy_the_Koopa

electrolite77

That 20 million figure was always wildly optimistic. Made a rod for their own back there. In reality over 32 million sales in 22 months on the market is incredible, especially as it represents such a turnaround for Nintendo. Switch sold more than the Wii U’s lifetime sales in the last nine months alone.

It’s also impressive compared to the biggest sellers ever. PS4 has shipped 29.3 million by September 2015. PS2 has shipped 28.68 million at end of March 2002.

According to Eurogamer....“By comparison, the PS2 had sold 24.99m units after the same length of time on sale. The PS3 had sold 16.6m, and the Xbox 360 13.4m. (Microsoft doesn't report Xbox One sales.) The Wii, though, is the clear home console leader. It had sold 34.55m during the same time on sale.”

3DS was at 31.09 million at the end of March 2013.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-29-huge-ps4-sales-...

https://web.archive.org/web/20120609161654/scei.co.jp/corpora...

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Nintendo_3DS

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

electrolite77

The 13 games Nintendo list as having sold a million from April-December 2018 are....

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!/Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario Party
SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Tennis Aces
Splatoon 2
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Kirby Star Allies
OCTOPATH TRAVELER *
Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

*Octopath Traveler is over a million just from Western sales. Square Enix published it in Japan and those sales aren’t included.

Edited on by electrolite77

Playstation ID - GJB77

Agriculture

The Switch has outsold the PS4 almost a ridiculously high amount last quarter. Here are the figures:

PS4
This quarter 91.6
Last quarter 86.1 million
= 5.50 million sold in september 30th 2018 to december 31th 2018

Switch
This quarter 32,27
Last quarter 22.86 million
= 9.41 million sold in september 30th 2018 to december 31th 2018

Agriculture

electrolite77

@IceClimbers

That’s great news for third party support. My guesses would be FIFA, Crash Bandicoot, Diablo 3, Fortnite (the packaged retail release), Minecraft (sold out everywhere in the U.K. anyway), Mario v Rabbids (not 100% on this but it’s been heavily discounted and some retailers were bundling it), and I dunno....Monster Hunter, Paladins, Dead Cells?

Playstation ID - GJB77

Haruki_NLI

Well its outdone what EA said it would do by about 2m.

Also now within 10m of the Xbox One.

Cmon industry

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

Wow, pretty dang good. Shouldn't have said 20 mil though. Cause now, even though they're like, blowing PS4 away, its gonna seem like a disappointment.

@IceClimbers
I'm willing to bet Skyrim sold a million in 2018 as well.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

cambotero

Lemmy_the_Koopa wrote:

For those that want to take a look at the close numbers here are the Nintendo Co., Ltd.reports.

Earnings Release: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190131e.pdf
Supplemantary Information: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190131_2e.pdf

Interestingly enough nothing has changed and so far they did not add any new titles we had not been aware. I wonder why Nintendo is playing it that close to it's chest.

EDIT: Looking at the Switch unit sold 2018 vs 2017 reveals that the biggest growth in Switch sales was actually overseas, while Japan only had a slight increase in terms of sales.

Thank you for the links!

The one thing that concerns me is that Dragon Quest XI S only appears in the "upcoming software publishers' title lineup" for Japan, not USA nor Europe :S

cambotero

Lemmy_the_Koopa

@cambotero Maybe the plans are not set in stone, I don't think that Nintendo would commit a DLC character to a japanese only release, but I could be wrong.

I think they just did not want to reveal new information in the investor report.

Edited on by Lemmy_the_Koopa

Lemmy_the_Koopa

Therad

JaxonH wrote:

Wow, pretty dang good. Shouldn't have said 20 mil though. Cause now, even though they're like, blowing PS4 away, its gonna seem like a disappointment.

@IceClimbers
I'm willing to bet Skyrim sold a million in 2018 as well.

It was quite an ambitious goal, and the output of first party titles haven't really matched that. I wonder if they had games in the pipeline that either got removed or were pushed into later dates they thought would strengthen the sales.

The ones I can think of are three houses and yoshi. I also see Bayonetta 3 as suspicious, feels like it should be released closer to the re-release of the older titles.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Lemmy_the_Koopa

@Therad I think you might be right on this, especially with the Direct that came out at the second half of 2018 heavily relying on Smash & the Let's Go entries. Admittedly, that paid of handsomely, going by the incredible sales numbers, but I'd wager they could have done a bit more, if there would have been an additional title to bolster the range of available games.

I really hope they come out guns blazin' in the next direct and I wager that is the reason why they did not show one as of now, especially after the MP4 blunder they probably want to nail down some release dates.

Lemmy_the_Koopa

WebHead

Another pretty good reason that a switch handheld could happen: rumors and leaks going around that Apple will release both a new iPad Mini and a new iPod Touch this year.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

HobbitGamer

...Switch is already handheld.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

WebHead

@JackEatsSparrows yes but still kinda bulky for one. Its beem successful but has not really caught on with kids. Plus 3ds is performing below projections as confirmed today. Nintendo had to slash thier 3ds forecast in half today. Its time for a proper replacement.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

1UP_MARIO

@WebHead but without the joycons it’s still smaller than the iPad mini plus Its not really a dedicated games console it caters to different needs

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Agriculture

WebHead wrote:

@JackEatsSparrows yes but still kinda bulky for one. Its beem successful but has not really caught on with kids. Plus 3ds is performing below projections as confirmed today. Nintendo had to slash thier 3ds forecast in half today. Its time for a proper replacement.

The Switch is actually built on 20 nm technology. The latest iPhone is on 7 nm. The latest iPhone to use 20 nm is the iPhone 6. In other words, there is a lot of room to make a smaller Switch. If they use a 10 nm process, then it would generate a significantly amount less heat, requiring a smaller fan. And the power consumption would be less, requiring a smaller battery. A Switch with the size and form factor of the PS Vita would probably be possible.

The only thing I would be concerned about is game compatibility if it doesn't have joycons.

Agriculture

HobbitGamer

@WebHead So the proper replacement should be a unit that's smaller? That would mean less battery life, too. And it would have to have no additional or removed features in order to not fracture the install base and hurt sales of the current Switch.
Either way, an iPad and iPod wouldn't exactly warrant this because they're not competing on the same things or market share.
I think Switch is doing just fine the way it is, but that's my two cents

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Therad

I think a new handheld will happen. And I don't think it will be 100% compatible with switch. But I think it will be super-easy to port between them.

Therad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic