Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 27,601 to 27,620 of 70,082

TheTetrisGuy

I wonder if they put Tropical Freeze back on because of the “backlash” or if it was a honest mistake. We may never know...

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

EvilLucario

They didn't.

https://puu.sh/AdZxC.mp4

I just checked, they didn't put it back on yet.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

@EvilLucario
Might be cause he's in a different region. If it went back up in UK, it's only a matter of time before it does in the US

Also could just be web version

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

EvilLucario

@JaxonH I thought they only removed it for US.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH It was never removed from the European eshops.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

gcunit

This seems a reasonable 7/10 review of DKCTFS:

http://metro.co.uk/2018/05/01/donkey-kong-country-tropical-fr...

As with many games, if you invest a lot of time in it and begin to master it, you'll love it, but if you're Average Joe looking for something new in platforming for a single playthrough, it possibly won't wow you.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

JaxonH

Then that report is false. Old Irishman reported it being back. He's not in the US so, clearly he didn't know this was US only and wrongly reported it being back up.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@gcunit
Reasonable to me would be the consensus, and there are far more reviews giving it higher than 7/10. And too many people saying it's incredible to ignore.

You can cherry pick any review and cite it as reasonable. But imo, calling DKC average is the most unreasonable thing I've heard lately.

Even for a single playthrough, DKC is incredible. Not sure what "looking for something new" means. It's platforming. Not sure how new you can get. God of War doesn't do anything new. Dark Souls was doing that combat a decade earlier. But it's a solid game. Like DKC. It's a solid game.

But DKC is a very special game specifically because no other game feels like it does. Handles like it does. Has the sense of weight and momentum like it does. I could go on, but suffice it to say it's a very different experience than any other platformer offers. If someone wants something "new" that's probably the best place to start.

Edited on by JaxonH

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter I don't know, what region is your PS4.....did you notice it's the Golden Week sale on the US PSN store? That'll make my wallet cry. Always does.... There's definitely some good stuff there that doesn't come to Nintendo. No rhythm games though that I noticed....

@YummyHappyPills "This entire situation is Funky ridiculous." +1. (Though I do think ongoing support for a console to please owners doesn't cost them anything to keep selling the game for it....it's not like anybody bought a WiiU anyway. I mean even Slig moved on.... )

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

@NEStalgia
My PS4 is Region 3, Asia Region, considering i live in Indonesia.
But i will not looking any PSN games from PS Store.
Just only the DLC contents for my The Sims 4.
Even there are some a little bit interesting Indies, but i will never want to buy. I will consider the Switch indies games than the PSN version.

Anti-Matter

FragRed

@JaxonH Ideally I think review sites should split indie and triple A reviews into the 2 different categories because they are different types of games, and a 10/10 for an indie beside a 10/10 for a triple A title looks out of place to me.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter Ahh...a friend in Malaysia once pointed out that most of Asia actually buys US region (Nintendo) consoles because NCL doesn't handle Asia region (except Taiwan and occasionally S. Korea.) But I forgot that probably doesn't apply to Sony

But yeah, especially indies I prefer Switch.... Still there are some Japanese games that are just tied to Sony (I'm still mad that Dissidia FF NT isn't coming to Switch...it would be so perfect...one of the best local/net multiplayer games I've seen, built for arcade play.)

@JaxonH So true about platformers. The new ones may be cleaner, smoother, better than the 80's ones, but ultimately it's an 80's genre that can't evolve too far by nature. DKC (and Rayman Legends) perfect it more than any others.

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@NEStalgia
They really do.

DKC Tropical Freeze (specifically the Switch version) is like the Monster Hunter World of platformers. It's top of its class visually, mechanically, it's challenging yet accessible...

I honestly can't think of a single 2D platformer that's better. I really can't. Take all the best platformers of the modern era, stack em up against Tropical Freeze, and you'll find them... lacking.

The complaints I have with the game are so trivial. Like Dixie Kong typically being the better choice over Cranky or Diddie (but I'm kinda ok with that, since I like the option to go with who you like and adjust challenge to your preference).

Rayman Legends was good, but tbh I think I liked Origins slightly better.

Dogorilla

JaxonH wrote:

So...

Funky Mode playthrough first? Or normal playthrough first? Each one will unlock the associated time trials for that mode.

I was wondering the same thing. I never got round to buying this on Wii U so both modes will be new to me. I think I'm going to start with Classic mode because it's the way the game was originally meant to be played and it has more characters, then try out Funky mode when I'm done. On the other hand that seems a bit backwards because Funky mode is easier.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Octane

gcunit wrote:

This seems a reasonable 7/10 review of DKCTFS:

http://metro.co.uk/2018/05/01/donkey-kong-country-tropical-fr...

As with many games, if you invest a lot of time in it and begin to master it, you'll love it, but if you're Average Joe looking for something new in platforming for a single playthrough, it possibly won't wow you.

I dunno. I played it once and I love it. But people are allowed to have different opinions.

It can be a difficult game if you go for 100%, but it's also very forgiving. Level design is brilliant, there are no floating platforms in this game, everything is connected to the background, it's the kind of context I love. The levels in each world tell a little non-verbal story, kinda in the same way Super Mario Sunshine deals with the episodes in each level. And David Wise, what else do I need to say? Hah! One thing is sure, if you like 2D platformers, you should at least give this game a try sometime.

Octane

GrailUK

You know the PS4 advert we get on this site at the moment. All 3 game covers MH, Horizon and SotC have the same compositions! Small protagonist bottom left. Large monster centre. Oh dear. It's a tad 'flavour of the month'

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

NEStalgia

@JaxonH For me my absolute only complaint about WiiU DKC:TF was the obnoxious loading times forcing me to loose the rhythm and messing me up. Switch version supposedly helps with that, so it's as close to perfect as you get now.

Well, OK, I still hate the water levels with a burning passion. But I've always hated the water levels since DKC SNES. Loved the music though.

Origins was so long ago I almost don't remember it in detail. I remember some aspects of it...I remember it was great....I don't know, Legends has such interesting environments, while IIRC Origins was a little faster paced. My perception may be skewed though since I played Origins on Vita and Legends on Switch. Superior controls very likely skew my opinion toward Legends.

@gcunit I only played through it once on WiiU and liked it wonderfully, but then again, I was a platforming enthusiast back in the day and played virtually every platformer available back then (except Mega Man for some reason), so platforming muscle memory is as automatic has handing an acoustic guitar to an electric guitarist....some adjustment to the instrument but I can find my away around with some competence at first blush.

Kids today......

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

@GrailUK It's also a constant tease of how Switch has no Monster Hunter in English...

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@GrailUK I had a quick look through my collection, and coincidentally, those three are the only games that have a protagonist in the lower left corner and a big monster on the right! Coincidence? I think not!

Octane

GrailUK

@Octane As long as the covers don't get as bad as the PS2 era where 1 in 3 covers was just a close up of a face lol.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic