Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,221 to 22,240 of 35,899

JaxonH

@Spoony_Tech
Good. It deserves it.

Saw they were at like 17 and 18 on that top 20 list released. So I knew they were close.

Too bad we didn't get a Jill amiibo, eh? Capcom said they were making amiibo for the game but bowed out for unknown reasons. Wasn't Jill anyways though. Still...

NOW PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna, Super Mario Party
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

electrolite77

My issue with Digital Distribution on Consoles is that it's a closed shop. It works on PC because theoretically anybody can set up competition to Steam, GOG and the like. I know in reality it's Steam and the others but another vendor with the right backing and business plan could set up shop. On Consoles it's not possible and without retail driving prices down, Nintendo (and Sony and MS) can charge what they want.

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

JaxonH

@electrolite77
Games drive prices down. Competition from new games. If they want to sell the older ones, they have to lower the price. That or watch the sales taper down to a whimper (disregarding evergreen titles which have indefinite sales curves- those will stay full price because of continued demand).

NOW PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna, Super Mario Party
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Most Nintendo games are evergreen though, that's why most eshop discounts are disappointing at best.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

RETRO_J

@JaxonH Most day one patches and updates are relatively minor, so I don't get the point that you're not getting the full game with retail. The vast majority can still be completed without any access to servers. Heck, even the Resident Evil example referenced in the video offered users a complete game out of the box for a reasonable price, even if we disregard the second game.

On top of this, the ability to sell the games you no longer want appears to have alluded your argument completely. As things currently stand, our money is pretty much lost forever the moment we click that download button, whether we like the game or not. It's simply too high risk for many people.

Edited on by RETRO_J

RETRO_J

JaxonH

@Ervex_109

the ability to sell the games you no longer want appears to have alluded your argument completely

I think my argument itself has alluded you completely.

I never claimed digital is better than physical in every way. I never claimed there aren't benefits to physical either. In fact, as I said previously, I am a physical gamer myself. Clearly there's a reason for that.

However, the point about games not being complete anymore is a fair argument. The percentage of games which run poorly or are missing content or need vital updates is growing by the day. No one can deny this. Even Zelda would have you dealing with an unruly framerate and lack of DLC if you played straight from cart. Splatoon 2 would be half the game it is now. As would ARMS. NBA 2K18 would be unplayable, whereas now it's an immaculate, pristine example of a game done right. RE Revelations would be playable, but the second wouldn't be.

The examples go on and on.

And the bottom line, is what's the difference between getting half of LA Noire on cart (which is still 100% playable without any download btw) and Splatoon 2, which is also half on the cart? What is the different between needing a download to fully experience DOOM features, and needing a download to fully experience ARMS features? You need a download to get a playable experience in NBA 2K18, but you need a download to play Zelda with a half decent framerate too. And if you bought the season pass, to access any of that content.

And that's the argument. Right there. Not that there aren't still benefits, not even that it's better. And it's only going to become even more true as time goes on.

The days of buying a SNES cart and having the entire game, complete and archivable, are over.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna, Super Mario Party
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

DarthNocturnal

Also...

Ervex_109 wrote:

On top of this, the ability to sell the games you no longer want appears to have alluded your argument completely. As things currently stand, our money is pretty much lost forever the moment we click that download button, whether we like the game or not. It's simply too high risk for many people.

Steam, GoG, and now XBL have refund options for digital titles. I'm willing to bet that others will be pressured into it in time.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

RETRO_J

JaxonH wrote:

Cost is the one prohibiting factor, for sure.

But one point he raises, that I agree with, is that even "complete" games aren't complete. If you don't have the day one patch, the update patch #2, the update patch #3... The DLC, etc. You're physical game won't be worth much anyways. You pretty much need to access the servers regardless. And that's a point I think alot of people are reluctant to accept.

And goodness knows I'm a HUGE physical gamer and collector. But even I'm coming around. At least with digital I can copy my SD onto my PC as a backup. Or keep a spare SD with games as backup (just got my 2nd 400gb micro SD yesterday, so my spare 256gb with digital retail games got backed up on PC and stashed in the closet).

Idk. I'm actually not that against a digital future anymore. I like my carts and I do hope they stick around a while, but there's so many drawbacks and digital is so convenient. I love not switching carts on a portable system now.

All of the above indicates you were making an argument for digital games over physical. I never said you didn't enjoy physical games, too. The video you referenced merely appeared a little biased and inaccurate when it stated nearly all games were unplayable out of the box. That's simply not true right now.

The pointed, defensive reply I received in response was a tad unjustified, don't you think?

Edit:

DarthNocturnal wrote:

Steam, GoG, and now XBL have refund options for digital titles. I'm willing to bet that others will be pressured into it in time.

Let's hope so.

Edited on by RETRO_J

RETRO_J

IceClimbers

Anyone think we might see a Nindies Showcase next week? We're due for one, and it would definitely help give a picture of what to expect for Q1.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

KryptoniteKrunch

It's a shame that Falcom is wary of the Switch. I can kinda see where they're coming from, but judging by the Switch's first 8 months, but their doubts should be nullified. I'm really hoping we get a Ys game on Switch eventually. Ys Memories of Celceta on Vita was great, and had a pretty big world. I can imagine what they could do on a much stronger handheld device.

Speaking of the Vita, since Falcom put quite a few games on Vita, why wouldn't they put a few on Switch? The Switch is already on pace to eclipse the Vita's sales within a fraction of the time.

[3DS Friend Code: 2793-1322-9869] Pokemon X/Y FS Type: Bug.
[NNID: KryptoniteKrunch]

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

Knuckles-Fajita

@KryptoKrunch Because ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

We don't want money.

@IceClimbers Maybe? Show off Yooka-Laylee, date Morphies Law and other things, entirely possible.

Sign up for the Rocket League of Legends Tournament (Sept 15th)!

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Website: https://bit.ly/2Ikg7U0

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

49/50 followers - Sep 2

SKTTR

Ys Book I & II is one of my favourite Wii VC downloads. I never played much of Nihon Falcom as they stay away from developing for Nintendo (and if they did it was mostly Japan only) most of the time, and it doesn't seem to change. Well, at least there is now an abundance of RPGs we can look forward too.

Skyrim and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 just came around.
Battle Chasers Nightwar and Lost Sphear are soon to follow.
And for 2018 we can look forward to at least Dragon Quest Builders, The Longest 5 Minutes, Project Octopath Traveler, Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei V, Pokémon, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Dragon Quest XI, a Tales of- game, not to mention the many indie RPGs, and what else Square Enix, NIS America, Koei Tecmo, Marvelous, Nintendo, Sega, and Bethesda have not announced yet. Nihon Falcom would make a good addition, but if they don't want it's not a huge loss, as we already have some of the best RPGs ever covered for 2017 and 2018 on the Switch.

backloggery.com/SKTTR

JaxonH

@Ervex_109
Apologies if it seemed overly defensive.

I'm not making an argument for digital over physical. But I am making an argument that the benefits of physical are rapidly eroding away. There are still games you can buy complete but the percentage of them that are 100% complete nowadays... is definitely a minority. The extent to which that affects the game varies from case to case but the point remains: buying physical games no longer guarantees you the full game and more often than not you aren't getting the full game. 50% of the time it might still be playable but... then again so is LA Noire... so is NBA 2K18..: so is DOOM.

Meaning: anyone who takes issue with a physical release that requires a download to the point they refuse to buy, maybe it's time for them to reevaluate, because the vast majority of the games they are buying already require downloads and a certain percentage of them are just as limited or crippled without those downloads as these recent "partial download" games on cart. And whether it be fortunately or unfortunately, that's only going to become more and more true over the next 5 years- certainly over the next 10.

We're all going to have to face the music soon enough (in fact we already are, to an extent).

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna, Super Mario Party
N3DS:
PS4pro/PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Anti-Matter

When will Earthlock Nintendo Switch version announced ?
I heard it will be Q4 2017, but still no info about that.

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (10 / 10)
2. The Sims series (9 / 10)
3. Portal Knights Switch (9 / 10)
4. Animal Crossing New Leaf 3DS (9 / 10)
5. ARMS (8 / 10)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

Octane

Not sure if this was already posted or not, but there's a rumour going around that Bandai Namco will have some sort of special event on the 15th, and Nintendo will have a big presence. According to Liam Robertson, from Unseen64, those games will be: a Dark Souls Collection (was rumoured before), One Piece Dawn, Soul Calibur 6 (was rumoured before), Xenosaga HD Collection, and My Hero Academy.

Octane

GrailUK

@Octane Whelp. Well, there goes the 2018 dream of saving up for that quaint little cottage in the countryside.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Octane

@GrailUK I can see the Dark Souls trilogy and Xenosaga trilogy coming to Switch. I assume My Hero Academy was already on Nintendo consoles before.

Octane

FragRed

@Octane I am curious to see how they get all three Dark Souls games ported onto the Switch, especially given how big these games are individually.

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

skywake

electrolite77 wrote:

My issue with Digital Distribution on Consoles is that it's a closed shop. On Consoles it's not possible and without retail driving prices down, Nintendo (and Sony and MS) can charge what they want.

To be fair there is still competition. If one of the big three went out on a limb by themselves and started charging obscene fees for their games? Third party publishers would start pulling the pin. Equally if one publisher started charging over and above the price that other publishers are charging? Consumers would buy something else.

Ervex_109 wrote:

On top of this, the ability to sell the games you no longer want appears to have alluded your argument completely. As things currently stand, our money is pretty much lost forever the moment we click that download button, whether we like the game or not. It's simply too high risk for many people.

The ability to sell games once you've played them isn't really a net-positive for consumers. To be blunt, someone is making most of the money in the used market. It's not the consumer and it's not the developer/publisher. The fact that Gamestop/EBGames makes money out of this should tell you something about what is actually happening here.

And in any case there's no technical reason why there couldn't be a trade-in system on digital purchases.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Octane

@FragRed DS3 was 18GB on PS4 or something like that, the first one is only 3 or 4GB. They all fit on a 32GB card.

Octane

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic