Forums

Topic: What 5 games must Nintendo launch the NX with?

Posts 181 to 200 of 286

SCRAPPER392

@skywake
It still doesn't make sense why a new home console would happen, though, because Wii U could run CoD Black Ops III, if Activision actually cared. There is already proof that Wii U can run Kingdom Hearts III and Tekken 7; from games like Pokken Tournament and Mario 3D World, among other 1st party titles. Those 3rd party games are gonna be on Xbox One/PS4, and the reason why those games will be absent on Wii U isn't hardware, period.

@brooks83
There isn't hype, bro. All I think NX will do is QoL, VC, streaming, and some cross-play. They aren't going to abandon Wii U. As I already mentioned, Wii U is undeniably still current PowerPC hardware, and regardless of sales, they are going to support it. GCN was the biggest flop for Nintendo(besides VB), and they still walked away with cash, because 3rd parties supported them, 1st party games did well, and they recycled the hardware for Wii.
Nintendo's hardware ecosystem doesn't have to rely on what Wii U and 3DS are doing. That is why they going with mobile stuff in the first place. Besides, PS Vita isn't doing so hot, and with 3DS still doing well, we could just as easily say Nintendo will drag out New 3DS for as long as possible w/o a direct competitor = no successor anytime soon.
It's ultimately more reasonable to think Nintendo will keep their current machines for as long as possible, because they have for consoles like DS and Wii when the hardware was already considered outdated by everybody, and they were still successful. The same thing could just as easily be said about 3DS and Wii U, because otherwise Wii U would have already had the graphics power of PS4, and PS Vita graphics in New 3DS(which I would say both are close enough, anyway). That is why it won't be a home console or portable console.

@Therad
There was an article on NL that said signs point to it being a micro console(aka: console w/ portable based hardware).

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

skywake

@SCAR:
All of the speculation so far is precisely that. You can read ten opinion pieces and find ten different things the NX is, that's just the stage we're at. Frankly I don't think anyone really knows what it is, myself included. Ontop of that Nintendo isn't exactly the most predictable company so they could do something crazy. Which is why I'd say all of the theories are about equal as long as they're at least technically possible.

That said, I personally don't think it's a home console largely because of the reason you mentioned. Not necessarily that those games could exist on the Wii U more that the Wii U hardware isn't that bad. There's not much more they can do with the hardware unless they wait a bit longer. I also don't particularly like the "hybrid" and "micro-console" ideas, purely because I think the people speculating that are having a bet each way. I can't see it being a form factor that doesn't replace either the Wii U or the 3DS. It can't replace both and I can't see it replacing neither.

Which leaves my preferred theory that the NX is infact a handheld device. That said even if I am right... they will replace the Wii U eventually. And you'd assume that they'd do that within the next 3-4 years regardless of what the NX is. So with that in mind I think speculation about what Nintendo's next home console is still interesting.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SCRAPPER392

@skywake
Well, I'm still sticking to a Kindle Fire TV or PS Vita TV device. There just isn't any reason to think Wii U or New 3DS is out for the count already, especially if NX comes out next year, because Wii U already has the hardware to run everything out now and next year, and New 3DS just came out and hasn't even really had a games that actually take advantage of the small hardware advantage it has over the regular 3DS.

That is why I think NX will basically fill in all the hardware gaps that Wii U and 3DS haven't covered, yet, like QoL, more streaming stuff, cloud, mobile, etc. That's why it makes sense that they announced it along with DeNA and mobile stuff. Your tablet and smartphones will probably all connect to it, and then there is the Nintendo Account stuff, so now Nintendo can just rely on other companys' gadgets and hook them up to NX, because that s*** ain't gonna happen on Wii U or 3DS. Then, NX can connect to Wii U and 3DS.
There's also the fact that Miitomo is mobile, but that's why I think NX will connect to smartphones and tablets, which would mean NX could get Miitomo and keep that sort of connection there, while Wii U connects to 3DS, because Wii U and 3DS aren't designed to connect to other gadgets like that.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Octane

@SCAR: I think that's the reason why NX won't be out next year. It's too early to make a big difference, unless the (home/handheld) console is either very expensive or Nintendo isn't going to sell them with profit; Two things that Nintendo isn't likely to do. We'll see though. I personally don't think there's a sustainable market for a micro console, so I don't think the NX is going to be something like that. A new console in 2017 makes more sense to me, but nobody knows for sure.

Octane

Octane

@SCAR: I think that's the reason why NX won't be out next year. It's too early to make a big difference, unless the (home/handheld) console is either very expensive or Nintendo isn't going to sell them with profit; Two things that Nintendo isn't likely to do. We'll see though. I personally don't think there's a sustainable market for a micro console, so I don't think the NX is going to be something like that. A new console in 2017 makes more sense to me, but nobody knows for sure.

Octane

skywake

I was going to post a long response but I'll keep it short and to the point.

SCAR wrote:

New 3DS just came out

I don't think the New 3DS changes anything. It's the same GPU, same screen resolution, same architecture, same cartridges. There is so much more that could be done with a brand new portable. Stuff that they won't be able to do until they move on.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

brooks83

@Octane and @Scar

Nintendo isn't actively going out and hyping the NX up. But by mentioning it's existence and keeping details tight, they are absolutely creating hype from word of mouth buzz, and I'm sure that is part of Nintendo's strategy.

brooks83

DefHalan

brooks83 wrote:

Nintendo isn't actively going out and hyping the NX up. But by mentioning it's existence and keeping details tight, they are absolutely creating hype from word of mouth buzz, and I'm sure that is part of Nintendo's strategy.

it is a bad strategy. So many people are thinking so many things that whatever they announce will disappoint a large number of people. It would be best to give us information rather than letting our imaginations run wild. At this point, they will need to release earliest 2017 to rebuild all the hype they destroy when they announce it. Launching in 2016 will not give them time to recover from so many people not getting what they have been speculating that they will get. At least that is my opinion.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

IceClimbers

That's why they need to give info asap. February/March 2016 is when NX will be revealed, probably in March right after Nintendo Account/My Nintendo/Miitomo all launch. There's no way they wait until E3.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

@brooks83: It was a double edged sword. They mentioned the NX to reassure gamers that they weren't going third party or completely mobile. If they didn't mention the NX back in April(?), headlines would've been talking about Nintendo going out of bussiness. It's no different when the GameCube was ''mentioned'' as N2000 several years prior to its release, and when it was later known as Project Dolphin. I've said this before, but if Nintendo hadn't entered the mobile bussiness, I doubt we would've known about NX at this point (or at least back in April).

Octane

las_cadenas

Mario Kary 9
Fallout 4
Zelda U
something Metroid

las_cadenas

SCRAPPER392

brooks83 wrote:

@Octane and @Scar

Still no hype. This thread is about 5 games we think should it should launch with, and here we are discussing about what it even is.

That's why I'm sticking with smaller releases you would see on a Kindle Fire TV. A new Puzzle League, and maybe even getting Puzzles and Dragons with Mario on there will make it a nice little console for people to have along with their smartphones, tablets, and 3DS local multiplayer. That's how there is a market for it, especially when we already have Wii U for console gaming(which already has the GamePad), and it can in fact run games like KH III, Tekken 7, etc. games that are already out, or COULD come out. That's why ZombiU is still a current game, since they just ported it to PS4 and Xbox One. That's why a new home console isn't happening, and Nintendo said that about NX when they first announced it in the first place.

Qwest

las_cadenas

The WiiU killed the hype dont you see? All its fans are grown now and the young ones play the same games as the adults. Angry western culture killed cute sweet japanese nuntendo

las_cadenas

Therad

@SCAR: I have a hard time seeing any benefits from them doing a micro-console. A cheaper console than Wii U with worse graphics? How would this fabled console look like on a 50-60" screen? What kind of games would it run, 3ds, mobile? And what demographic are they targeting? Children, mobile users, retro-gamers, hard-core gamers? A micro-console seems like a niche product very few people would want.

And Wii U are nintendos worst selling console, it has consistently sold worse than gamecube. It might make a profit, but that doesn't mean it is a success. They haven't made that much, and they bled money in the beginning.

And why do people think it is far fetched that it is an home console? If it comes out in holiday 2016, Wii Us lifespan has been shortened one year from their normal schedule. If it is a 2017 release, it is a 5-year console cycle. So even if NX does turn out to be something else than an home console, they would have to release an home console relatively soon afterwards.

Therad

DefHalan

@Therad: Actually a Micro-Console makes a lot of sense as a companion console to the home console that Nintendo will eventually release. The Micro-Console would be a good introduction console for people interested in Nintendo but not willing to pay the big bucks for one of the main systems. It could give them a benchmark for cross-platform games, whatever releases on the Micro-Console would also release for both Home Console and Portable Console. The Virtual Console would basically just need to work on the Micro-Console and it could be released on all other Nintendo Systems. Add in some extra features like being able to stream your console games from another room and local multiplayer options and you have a nice companion console. Priced at $99 or $149 and it could do pretty well.

EDIT: The Micro-Console would also be home of entertainment apps such as Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll. And because those apps are on the Micro-Console, and everything on the micro-console is compatible with the next home and portable consoles, those apps would in turn be on their main consoles.

Edited on by DefHalan

Therad

@DefHalan: It sounds like you want it to be a companion piece for their nextgen consoles. What benefits would it give to this gen? Why release a companion piece before the main unit?

Also, at that price, why should someone not owning a nintendo console ever choose it over their portable line? Or a wii u basic for that matter? Or a google player/fire tv? Nintendo will never be able to beat google or amazon on the app front.

Therad

DefHalan

@Therad: Yes, it would be for next gen consoles. The price would be lower than the portable ($200-$250) and home ($350-$400) consoles.The difference between a google player/fire tv would be the software. The software would be Nintendo software and some 3rd Party/Indie. The goal isn't to beat google or amazon, the goal is to have a companion device to your other hardware lines that can also be a cheap entry point into the Nintendo Market.

briwipdx

Mario Moonshine
Amiibo RPG
Animal Crossing NXT leaf
Spla2oon
next-gen Pokemon

briwipdx

3DS Friend Code: 4398-9842-2514 | Nintendo Network ID: briwipdx

SCRAPPER392

@Therad
I already made it pretty clear in my other posts about what I meant.

Qwest

Whydoievenbother

Metroid HD Collection
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart 9
New IP showcasing the console's new features
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures 2
also honorable mention: Streets of Rage 4

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.