Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 8,341 to 8,360 of 15,210

Tyranexx

I don't buy that rumor. Even in the unlikely event that it comes to pass, it'd be akin to Nintendo stabbing themselves in the foot.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

TuVictus

If it ends up being a launch game I'll be so ecstatic beyond words

TuVictus

Dezzy

Seems very unlikely they'll cancel the Wii U version at this point. They've been principally targeting that platform for a good 3 years of the game's development and shown large parts of the game running on it.

If they did cancel it, I do intend to throw my toys out of the pram and refuse to buy the Switch for at least 2 years. And then I'll buy a used console and used games. I'm a principled person Nintendo. Don't test me!

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haru17

Dezzy wrote:

If they did cancel it, I do intend to throw my toys out of the pram and refuse to buy the Switch for at least 2 years. And then I'll buy a used console and used games. I'm a principled person Nintendo. Don't test me!

Don't do that, Dezzy! Man! I know it would be kinda underhanded for Nintendo to cancel the Wii U version after teasing is since 2013 — two years before the NX was announced in a tweet — but you'll probably get a Switch eventually anyway, right? I'm just saying — we'll probably have spoiled it for you if you wait after release to play. And you've waited a painfully long time already! Hell, I remember quibbling with you back in 2014.

I'm hardly advocating against consumer advocacy, but there are bigger fish to fry. If you really want to take a stand, stop buying all consumer electronics because they are made by poverty-slave labor where worker and individual rights are suppressed by armed guards and people are paid mere pittances for their labour (Foxxcon). That is undeniably more of an issue than disappointments and broken promises.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haru17

Untitled

Zelda's Facebook: "Now until the launch of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, we’ll be exploring the Hyrulean landscape with new screenshots."

A couple of things.

Firstly, see how the green trees are all pines? And the red ones all deciduous? They seem to be teasing that seasons things REAL hard. Unlike in Fable 3, this seedling may yet grow into a grand tree of ambition.

Secondly — hype hype hype hype hyyype! I remember they did a "daily screenshot" for WoW: Cataclysm leading up to the 2010 launch and I was so into it. This isn't daily — and the game certainly isn't Blizzard's trash — but it could still be very, very exciting.

Finally, "until the launch." These pictures could become treacherous with environmental spoilers as they progress. But until then? Sooooo hype!

Edited on by Haru17

Luna_110

@Operative
If it happened, the meltdown at least on this site would be glorious... At least enough to read while eating popcorn.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

all consumer electronics because they are made by poverty-slave labor where worker and individual rights are suppressed by armed guards

Which companies are using actual slavery? I'm fairly sure that's illegal pretty much everywhere.

Haru17

I swear, people are allergic to talking about Zelda in this thread. I'd still like to talk about the photo, y'know, if anyone else does...

@Dezzy For the record, it does not matter. The people don't have a choice. They're in poverty without any other opportunities. You can't just go live off the land in urban SE Asia. So Foxconn is very much de facto slavery. Also, you did read the part about the armed guards right? Many of these people live at the factories they work at, called "Free Trade Zones."

Anyway, look it up — it's not something to be explained away or minimized.

Octane

Ah, yes, seasons! Would be neat, but the chances are slim. Probably just an autumn inspired forest.

Octane

kkslider5552000

Haru17 wrote:

Unlike in Fable 3, this seedling may yet grow into a grand tree of ambition.

"Unlike in Fable 3" should be the standard of how to make a video game in a fantasy setting tbh.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Tyranexx

Haru17 wrote:

Untitled

Oracle of Seasons subplot confirmed!

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Nicolai

I don't think it's too outlandish that at least a portion of Hyrule is affected by seasons. Places like the snowy mountains in the Northwest are obviously going keep snowing, but maybe there's a single region based around the changing seasons?

All they would have to do is have a few designs for their trees instead of the one. If they use similar tree designs across the map, it might not be as much work as we think.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Haru17

Nicolai wrote:

I don't think it's too outlandish that at least a portion of Hyrule is affected by seasons. Places like the snowy mountains in the Northwest are obviously going keep snowing, but maybe there's a single region based around the changing seasons?

All they would have to do is have a few designs for their trees instead of the one. If they use similar tree designs across the map, it might not be as much work as we think.

Basically just the standard deciduous and birch tree models would turn red before eventually losing their leaves over a course of in-game days. That could make it really impactful to return to previous areas after progressing further in the game. Anyway, to truly be a full-featured seasonal mechanic animal pathing and spawn patterns would have to change in a simulation of migration and snowfall would have to move across certain portions of the landscape during winter and into spring. Also autumn rains =)

What's more, I wouldn't expect this for the costal regions or the area with the giant mangrove trees (or whatever they were exactly) that we saw in the TGA demo to flag with winter. Only the temperate areas would do so. And do keep in mind, temperate doesn't necessarily equal north. The Zelda team may not be planning Hyrule with a latitude like that of NA or Japan IRL, and may not even be considering position in relation to the equator at all (the more likely option).

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

@Dezzy For the record, it does not matter. The people don't have a choice. They're in poverty without any other opportunities. You can't just go live off the land in urban SE Asia. So Foxconn is very much de facto slavery. Also, you did read the part about the armed guards right? Many of these people live at the factories they work at, called "Free Trade Zones."

That's no doubt true in certain situations but as a general trend in places like China, it's disastrously false. About 200 million people have gone from poor to middle class in China just since the year 2000. That's one of the greatest explosions in wealth and opportunity in all of human history. Using the fact that it hasn't happened for absolutely everyone to compare it to slavery, where it happens for no-one, is a really dangerous statistical confusion. It's a bit like pointing out that you know some smokers who didn't get cancer as evidence that smoking doesn't cause cancer. You really have to look at overall trends rather than individual anecdotes.

Edited on by Dezzy

Haru17

@Dezzy At the same time, you can't use unrelated statistics to explain away very real immoralities. Foxxcon does exist, it does operate in China in part, and it does make billions on people's backs. A rising tide lifts many boats, but not all. Anyway, just go watch the No Logo documentary — It's on YouTube. The author is very well-spoken and lays out the whole thing for you.

JoyBoy

Can we PLEASE stay on topic and continue talking about why having seasons is a pretty exciting idea after all. PLEASE.

Edited on by JoyBoy

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Monkey_Balls

Seasons were hinted at in 2014 when Miyamoto mentioned the growing apples. Maybe the seasons work in real-time based on the system clock? Time travel is always an option of course.

Haru17 wrote:

Zelda's Facebook: "Now until the launch of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, we’ll be exploring the Hyrulean landscape with new screenshots."

There's no way they can drag that out for another 6+ months. It will just irritate people after a while. A March launch on the other hand...

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Haru17

Monkey_Balls wrote:

There's no way they can drag that out for another 6+ months. It will just irritate people after a while. A March launch on the other hand...

That thought crossed my mind. I certainly hope the screenshots only cover three months as opposed to half a year's worth. Less spoilers and fewer long pauses that way, I figure.

Haru17

I just noticed something. There's a little chunk of the Great Plateau that is separated from the main section by a ravine to the north. It is also ringed by part of the ancient wall, so it likely plays some role later in the story after you can circumvent the sheer cliffs. Presumably a smallish dungeon or the resting place of the Master Sword or Triforce.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic