Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 7,401 to 7,420 of 15,210

Haru17

I don't think the mainline Zeldas up to this point have had the problem of clashing climates, but Breath may yet. The transition between climes in Ocarina and Majora's was actually pretty well done, passing through the temperate field areas first.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

@Haru17 Snowpeak and Gerudo Desert in TP come to mind, but there weren't directly connected, just located next to each other.

Octane

erv

The map in xenoblade is actually very well done. The oceans are crossable, the areas make sense and the transitions are believable. It fits into the whole "planet" concept, not just a world or area. Plus, those sections are so big that the non-equality in spread doesn't matter.

Also, I won't play zelda to be reminded of realism.

"I mean, ice next to a lava mountain seems so weird, I'm gonna protest it on the floating island in the sky."

...yeah right.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Haru17

Tsurii wrote:

there's no "impassable ocean" in Xenoblade either. You guys really need to actually play the games you're talking about.

Well, I'm guessing there's a run animation, and I bet there's a swim animation, and I have a hunch that the swim animation is—get this–slower than the run animation. So, it's a natural progression buffer, see? And I'm thinking you're not supposed to cross the narrow land bridge until you're high enough level to fight the enemies along it, but—follow me here—when you get over to the lava islands, you can get a mech that lets you cross the ocean whenever you want.

Edited on by Joeynator3000

skywake

In light of the newest rumours about the NX being a portable with 32GB cartridges

skywake wrote:

And for cartridges we're talking 32GB or so which could work.

drops mic

skywake wrote:

But I'm not particularly convinced that the NX will use cartridges.

picks up mic

skywake wrote:

We're a few years too early for the return of cartridges for home consoles IMO.

stands around with mic looking confused

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

skywake

@Octane
It was a post I made on that same page this morning. Was asked a question about whether BotW on NX would need "data packs" if it used cartridges and how big those cartridges would be. Looks as though we're getting a portable version of BotW.....

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

TuVictus

Haru17 wrote:

Tsurii wrote:

there's no "impassable ocean" in Xenoblade either. You guys really need to actually play the games you're talking about.

Well, I'm guessing there's a run animation, and I bet there's a swim animation, and I have a hunch that the swim animation is—get this–slower than the run animation. So, it's a natural progression buffer, see? And I'm thinking you're not supposed to cross the narrow land bridge until you're high enough level to fight the enemies along it, but—follow me here—when you get over to the lava islands, you can get a mech that lets you cross the ocean whenever you want.

Well "progression buffer" is a whole lot different from "impassable", which is what you asserted. Which is downright wrong. But surprisingly the swimming is actually around the same speed as sprinting. And you can cross it whenever you want. You can bypass the bridge entirely if you just swim out of its way. You are correct about the landbridge having stronger enemies to sort of funnel the player away until they're strong enough, but that's laughable if you don't think Zelda will use a similar system, where end-game areas have stronger/more difficult to beat enemies than beginning areas.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

EOTW

I personally think that it is bad design to actively halt progress with a tough enemy. When I find a tough enemy I never think about leaving and coming back when I'm stronger. No, all I see is a challenge. That ends up frustrating me sometimes, like, WHY does the Glavenus have ten times more health than usual the first time you encounter him!? It's like the devs are saying "Ha, you aren't strong enough!" even though I literally am I've been playing these games since Tri JEEZ. /irrelevant rant over/

3DS FC: 3222-5568-3578
NNID: EOTW93
NX HYPE

TuVictus

Since Zelda doesn't use level systems, I imagine your beginner weapons will barely make a dent in the end-game enemies. It's probably designed so that by the time you reach the end, naturally, you'll have a bunch of upgraded swords and armor to do appropriate damage

TuVictus

JoyBoy

So did Nintendo actually say the NX version would have better graphics? Or did they say the difference between the 2 version would be the graphics? Because that would change the whole viewpoint we previously had about this so called better running/looking Zelda NX. I might actually have to pick up Zelda for Wii U after all.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Grumblevolcano

@Spanjard Nope, they said nothing about graphics. Just that the content is the same.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

@Haru17 Zones are stupid anyway; why's there a lava filled island next to the arctic zone? Zelda is guilty of this as well though, but Xenoblade X's world looked too ''artificial''.

No Man's Sky is doing it with whole planets!

It's bizarre how so many people do this in sci-fi given that our own planet is the exact opposite of this.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

erv

Haru17 wrote:

Tsurii wrote:

Uhm, nope and nope. I actually walked to the other continents and took a swim and discovered some story missions along the way. The progression buffer is an illusion you play on yourself.

There is one place I couldn't go to, though...

... But that was when I had a mech and was able to ride into a level++ tyrant...

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

TuVictus

you guys are making me want to continue Xenoblade again. That really was a well designed game. I loved the world.

I did not love the tiny text that you could not change that gave me constant headaches

TuVictus

EOTW

@White_Rhino I'm not saying they should make enemies easier, I love challenging baddies. I just don't like enemies that are designed not to be beatable. I would much rather have an actual physical wall in my way than an unbeatable baddie, because then I at least know not to waste time and resources on it.
Example: the Gorons on Death Mountain in Twilight Princess. You need the iron boots to beat them, but the game doesn't initially tell you that, so you end up wasting a lot of time and hearts trying to beat the first one. Only after giving up in frustration will Renado speak to you and say something like "OH HAY YU GOTSA GO TALK AT DA MAYOR BO GUY DURR," basically.

Edited on by EOTW

NX HYPE

EOTW

^^^^ Yes

NX HYPE

-Green-

Hmm, I'm surprised Link doesn't roll in this game. Isn't like Link rolling a staple in Zelda.

In some of the footage I saw on the game, a player asked the assistance if Link could roll in this game and the assistant responded by saying "Not Yet". So maybe you can later on or something.

@Tsurii The game does seem to encourage Stealth. Being able to sneak up on enemies and picking them off individually seems helpful when trying to conserve materials. Not to mention, the game rewards you for hitting an unaware enemy by making the attack do more damage.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Grumblevolcano

@Tsurii Stealth elements would be cool, just not Forsaken Fortress style.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haru17

Operative wrote:

Well "progression buffer" is a whole lot different from "impassable", which is what you asserted. Which is downright wrong. But surprisingly the swimming is actually around the same speed as sprinting. And you can cross it whenever you want. You can bypass the bridge entirely if you just swim out of its way. You are correct about the landbridge having stronger enemies to sort of funnel the player away until they're strong enough, but that's laughable if you don't think Zelda will use a similar system, where end-game areas have stronger/more difficult to beat enemies than beginning areas.

Featureless water acts as its own progression buffer. It's the same concept, regardless of whether you admit it or not.

erv wrote:

The progression buffer is an illusion you play on yourself.

That's what I mean by "progression buffer." It's not always a hard requirement, but rather something that suggest to the player what to do, achieving the desired result with a majority of players. Game design. That's how that works.

Edited on by Haru17

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic