Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 3,361 to 3,380 of 4,508

Diddy64

@iKhan Thanks and sorry for not putting any source link. I was distracted doing multiple things during the day. Next time I'll put a source link so that others know from where I got my conclusions.

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

link3710

@Diddy64 @iKhan Agumon's probably my top pick for a B-N pick (though I wouldn't say no to Klonoa). To answer the 'toy' question, he started out as an LCD game like Mr. Game & Watch, so he'd probably more qualify as that. Despite not being on a console, arcade, or PC, the original Digimon toys were video games in their own right, (same goes for Tomogatchi).

As for all the deconfirmations, I'll believe it when I see it. I'd still love to see Doomguy, Ryu or Rayman off that list.

link3710

Diddy64

@link3710 Nice. I didn't know that part of Digimon's history. I did have a Digimon toy watch (don't know almost nothing about the franchise) that come with the kids meal of Burger King back in the day. I have to admit that thinking about seeing a Smash trailer with Pikachu vs Agumon feels epic.

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

TOUGHDUDE94

I think monster Hunter or a yokai watch character

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

TOUGHDUDE94

Also what about a xenosaga character in smash

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

SKTTR

Still believe in hierarchy theory.

• Square Enix - most iconic/popular/succesful franchises: Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.
    Next up: Chrono Trigger, Mana series, Super Mario RPG, Quintet trilogy, Bubble Bobble, Lara Croft.
  • Capcom - most iconic/popular/succesful franchises: Mega Man and Street Fighter.
    Next up: Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, Ghosts'n Goblins.
  • SNK - most iconic/popular/succesful franchises: Fatal Fury, The King of Fighters.
    Next up: Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug.
  • Rareware - most iconic/popular/succesful franchises: Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie.
    Next up: Killer Instinct, Conker, Perfect Dark, Battletoads.
  • etc.

On top of that I believe

• No spirits/AT/costume upgrades! The only exception that is acceptable is Rex because of known reasons, though it would forever suck to skip Elma.
  • Only one 3rd party character per company for one Fighters Pass! SEGA/ATLUS, SQUARE ENIX, Microsoft/Rare, and SNK are out of the race for DLC-Fighter #5.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

iKhan

I feel like Steve from Minecraft and Monster Hunter are probably the most likely now if we assume the deconfirmations are true (though you always have to be more careful with leakers who only have an online identity, because they can use earned trust to deceive later with no long term consequences)

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

BrintaPap

I just hope on someone from Sony: Sly or Ratchet and Clank.

BrintaPap

iKhan

KoekiieWoekiie wrote:

Sony characters don't meet Sakurai's two rules of

1. Must have originated in a video game
2. Must have been on a Nintendo console (Yes, Cloud and Joker have been on Nintendo consoles in spinoffs)

Not to mention the fact that Sony is unlikely to give Nintendo permission to use their IP. I can understand the hype, with Banjo in, it seems like the gates are completely down, but we do have to remember that these are rules Sakurai established in Smash 4, and they've yet to be broken.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

SKTTR

iKhan wrote:

I feel like Steve from Minecraft and Monster Hunter are probably the most likely now if we assume the deconfirmations are true (though you always have to be more careful with leakers who only have an online identity, because they can use earned trust to deceive later with no long term consequences)

Microsoft already has Banjo in. Two characters from the same company in the same fighters pass? I don't see it happening. Maybe next fighters pass? Steve/Minecraft is an icon after all, and therefore is a force to be reckoned with, at least in spirit or Mii costume format.

I feel Monster Hunter representation is already ticked off with Rathalos, though it would be nice to have an actual monster hunter in the roster. It's a huge series, and CAPCOM has no DLC fighter yet, so yeah, could happen if he wasn't too complicated... I mean, there's lots of fighting styles/weapons and armor sets. It would be very difficult to choose the right one, though I believe they have data on which are the most popular monster hunter skins and fighting styles. Phoenix Wright would be a lot simpler to create and has a tremendously loyal fanbase. He's such a charismatic character and would come with a freakishly good music selection. However, Sakurai and Kamiya know each other pretty well (Bayonetta is already a fighter and Resident Evil got spirits), so we also need to get used to the thought that Dante has a relatively good chance. Lately there's been an uproar of DMC fans wanting him in. I'm all for Monster Hunter and Phoenix Wright though, as Devil May Cry is kind of redundant because of Bayonetta who does everything better.

KoekiieWoekiie wrote:

You think just because Microsoft got a fighter, Sony also has to get someone in, for fairness maybe?

Doesn't work this way because

1. Banjo & Kazooie were Nintendo characters. The first 5 games with Banjo released exclusively on Nintendo systems. Sly and Ratchet are a completely different thing.

2. Banjo & Kazooie should have been in Smash 64(!) and they (along with Joanna Dark and probably Conker) would have been in Melee and Brawl and Smash 4 if Microsoft had not bought Rare! Sly and Ratchet just come out of nowhere to steal a spot or two? Yeah, never.

3. Banjo & Kazooie are high up in the Smash polls for at least 20 years. I don't see that with Sly or Ratchet. In comparison they are of no significance.

Maybe that's not your reasoning but I don't see why Playstation exclusive characters should appear in Smash. Is there a reason at all for this to happen?

iKhan wrote:

Sony characters don't meet Sakurai's two rules of
1. Must have originated in a video game (...)
Not to mention the fact that Sony is unlikely to give Nintendo permission to use their IP.

Sony makes videogames. As far as I know Sly and Ratchet originated in videogames.

Sony would give permission for free high-quality advertisement without second thoughts, especially when it's on a rival system, but why should Nintendo work on something that is seeimgly completely dumb and something only a handful of people ask for recently? Is there any evidence? Well yeah, maybe!

Playstation recently financed a Smash Bros. Ultimate tournament which was fairly odd, and under these circumstances Nintendo and Sony could collaborate for a Smash surprise, but is one tourney enough? Is there more to come? Did I miss something? If that's the case it could turn everything around.

There's also the fact that Sony published 9 Switch games, but these are all indie games that don't seem to have any kind of remarkable impact.

• 2017 [SWITCH] Tiny Metal (Sony / UNTIES / AREA 35 / HIROAKI YURA)
  • 2018 [SWITCH] TOUHOU Azure Reflections (Sony / UNTIES / Team Shanghai Alice / souvenir circ.)
  • 2018 [SWITCH] TOUHOU Gensokyo Defenders (Sony / UNTIES / Team Shanghai Alice / Neetpia)
  • 2018 [SWITCH] The Midnight Sanctuary (Sony / UNTIES / CAVYHOUSE / Carpe Fulgur)
  • 2018 [SWITCH] Chiki-Chiki Boxy Racers (Sony / UNTIES / Pocket)
  • 2019 [SWITCH] Necrosphere Deluxe (Sony / UNTIES / Cat Nigiri)
  • 2019 [SWITCH] Battlloon (Sony / UNTIES / noname studio)
  • 2019 [SWITCH] Tokyo Dark -Remembrance- (Sony / UNTIES / mebius. / GODOGAISHA CHERRYMOCHI)
  • 2019 [SWITCH] TOUHOU Gensou Skydrift (Sony / UNTIES / Team Shanghai Alice / illuCallab)

Edited on by SKTTR

Grumblevolcano

If a Sony character was to appear, it would be a 3rd party character that is from a game or franchise that for a long time has been associated with Sony exclusivity. We already have one of those in the fighters pass, Joker (Persona outside of a few spinoffs is Sony exclusive) and before that you had Cloud in Smash Wii U (Final Fantasy VII to Final Fantasy XII were Sony exclusive).

Notable not yet used "Sony" franchises that come to mind include Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Kingdom Hearts. All 3 franchises were originally Sony exclusive but in the recent years (less than a month ago for Kingdom Hearts) have had the Sony exclusive games announced to become no longer Sony exclusive.

Probably more likely to be round 2 if at all.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Toy_Link

It's not Ratchet and Clank or Sly, but now it seems that a Sony developed game on Switch is coming with MLB The Show.

Maybe we'll see the Yankees as a DLC character next LOL.

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

SKTTR

Who would have thought that?
Sony has already released 50 games on Nintendo's consoles so it was time for something huge.
Sony's 10th Switch game is going to be amazing - and I love baseball. Though it's a licensed game and nothing in it will be eligible for Smash.

link3710

Considering KH has had as many Nintendo exclusive games as Sony ones (Original CoM, Days, Re:Coded, and formerly DDD vs. 1, Re:CoM, 2 and BBS, all formerly) I wouldn't say it's time as a non exclusive is just beginning. The last new Sony exclusive was a decade ago after all (unless you could 0.2 but that wasn't a full title).

But yeah, all three series now do not have a single Sony exclusive (and all still have multiple Nintendo exclusives interestingly enough), so I could easily see any of them appearing. Personally I'd want Sora>Spyro>Crash but it feel like Crash is most likely at the moment. Then again, Sora + an announcement of 1.5 + 2.5 + 2.8 + 3 on Switch would be huge at TGA...

@SKTTR Why no costume/spirit upgrades? I mean not for the final fighter's pass fighter. That one won't be obviously. But for the newly announced DLC there's no reason to assume they'd arbitrarily limit their choices more than they'd have to, especially be saying no spirits. Obviously you pointed out Rex, but say we're going to get a new game like... idk, DKC Returns 3 next year, and they want to put in Dixie Kong since she'll have a major role to advertise. You think they'll just stop and say "No wait we can't, she's already a spirit?"

link3710

SKTTR

@link3710 We're on the same page. Not for the 5th fighter. Not for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th fighter. That's all I ever said from the very beginning, and so far it's been true.

link3710

@SKTTR Ah okay, I misunderstood. Yeah, that makes perfect sense then.

Well, with the announcement almost certainly tomorrow, I'm going to place my final guess for who fighters pass #5 is. Since Jill/Leon are out (I had been thinking for sure they'd be announced with the RE3make), I'm going to go with Travis Touchdown.

He's an odd choice, sure, but I'm going with my gut instead of my head given how off I've been analyzing the previous reveals (outside of Hero). I'm still hoping for Sora and think he's got a ton going for him, but I'm going with the longshot.

link3710

SKTTR

Final bets everyone!

@link3710

Travis Touchdown would be THE MAN, I mean, THE SH*T (if you get the reference). If he's fighter 5 I'll just be glad no one is going to see my reaction/dance/party around the house.

From all the things that made rounds, a seemingly super safe choice would be saying Lloyd Irving.
He's got so much going on for him - but because of that he might have been pushed back?!
For many he'd just be the next anime swordfighter representing another JRPG-series (the next really huge one in the queue that is still missing after all) but he just doesn't seem to be a good final pick for the Fighters Pass. He'd make a better fit if he'd be.. maybe fighter #2 or something, just like Hero.

On top of that, Lloyd Irving, Phoenix Wright, Ryu Hayabusa, they all had cameos in other fighting games already, and everyone wants someone shockingly new and unexpected, and an underdog like Travis would be perfect. (I'm well aware my avatar suggests bias.)

So it's either Travis, the coolest badass in videogames, or... * drumroll * ... Professor Layton, the greatest gentleman in videogames. He's also not often mentioned, and despite its excellent puzzle adventure roots (all his games are wonderful), he's also shown (in cutscenes and the movie) that he's a great fencer and has plenty of cool gadgets he could use. No other game has made him into a fighter yet, so it would be very respectable if Sakurai could make him work.

But I'm not betting. (I hate losing).
I'm only playing skill based games, not luck based, so...
One chip on Travis, one on Layton? ^^
Anyway, the excitement kills me!!

PS. What if this is going to be a combination like Isabelle? Showing the newest game (No More Heroes 3) and then his invitation!! HYPE!

Edited on by SKTTR

Grumblevolcano

Release date I think will be January 17th 2020 as that's when the Richter and Dark Samus amiibo come out. Character prediction, I'm going with either Dante or Monster Hunter because of the Resident Evil spirit event and 1 other factor with each.

Dante - The comment that DMC would need to be on Switch before Dante could appear in Smash

Monster Hunter - Persona 5 nominated for GotY in 2017 -> Joker announced in 2018. Monster Hunter World nominated for GotY in 2018 -> ?

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano Weren't the DLC choices for the Fighter's pass set before launch though? MH World wasn't nominated until after the fighter had been picked.

link3710

TOUGHDUDE94

1.Monster Hunter
2.Yo-kai watch charcter

TOUGHDUDE94

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic