Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 3,341 to 3,360 of 4,508

Grumblevolcano

I'm predicting Dante, I thought maybe he'd be in wave 2 given the timing of the comments about DMC needing to be on the Switch first but the Resident Evil spirits event this week makes me think the 5th character is a Capcom rep and so that leaves Dante or Monster Hunter.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SKTTR

I hope it's not Dante, because --- well, why? It's another Playstation icon. And we have Bayonetta as a Hideki Kamiya-rep. She's from the same genre, but the better character, and from a better series.

If there's another fighter from Capcom it's either Monster Hunter or Phoenix Wright, and that's for the best.
Resident Evil fighters are now deconfirmed as the most popular four characters are coming as spirits this weekend.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

link3710

I mean, to be fair, Dante vs Bayonetta is an epic matchup.

I highly doubt the last character is going to be Capcom though. (Why wouldn't they wait to tip their hand for a few weeks in that case). For all we know, spirit board events for the first year could have been negotiated before launch anyways, meaning there'd be no connection between timing and characters.

I'm still of the idea that the final character will be Bandai-Namco (seriously, the company developing the game only has one rep). Hoping for Agumon, King or Nina, expecting Lloyd or Heihachi. I'd die if it was The Prince or KOS-MOS though, despite the sheer unlikelihood.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 The setup regarding the new spirits for spirit events are what seems odd, these are the games:

• Super Mario Party
  • Labo
  • NSMBU Deluxe
  • Link's Awakening
  • Daemon X Machina
  • Tetris 99
  • Pokemon Sword & Shield
  • Resident Evil (franchise)

All except Resident Evil are Nintendo published.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano Mhm, but the RE games, in general, are odd. For old ports, they've gotten a significant amount of air time and repeated mentions in Nintendo Directs over the past year or so. Far more than I'd expect. I feel like there's got to be some behind the scene deal going on regarding all that, even if we haven't seen enough to piece it together yet. This is yet another hint that they're promoting the ports for Capcom, even if we don't know what they got in return.

link3710

SKTTR

I'm all for Lloyd Irving (Tales of) and Monster Hunter as they mark the next biggest JRPG franchises that are not covered. Having them coming out would finally pave the way for Crono as a playable character and Randy from the Mana series.

I don't think the spirit setup is odd.
A Resident Evil fighter has been in the cards for a while but a true representation of those characters, even when toned down, would affect the age rating across several countries, I guess, and that is too much of a risk.
I kind of expect a DOOM Marine spirit in the future, for how iconic he is for an entire genre. A fighter would be a lot cooler, sure, but would affect the age rating just as much as a Resident Evil character.

At least all those icons are in one game, even though it is not possible for everyone to reach playable fighter status (I love how Tetris is now better represented than just a couple of music tracks thanks to the added spirits).

Edited on by SKTTR

SKTTR

Isn't Bayonetta the sneaky one that got in as last DLC fighter in Smash 4?
The rating boards didn't take notice, as they began to trust in Sakurai ^^ It's just another Lucas, just another Pokémon (Mewtwo), just another 08/15 Fire Emblem anime guy/gal. No one expected the game to stretch its restrictions with just a small piece of DLC. jk

So, what's the age rating of MvC3 Is it 12 like Smash or 16?

Edited on by SKTTR

rallydefault

I wouldn't really say the Bayonetta games were "gory." I mean... I guess there's gore. Maybe I'm just horribly desensitized, but I guess it didn't hit me because a lot of the action sequences are so over the top I can't even tell what's going on lol

rallydefault

link3710

Bayonetta has more 'cartoony' gore than anything, if that's a thing. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the guillotine at the end of one of the torture attacks. Angels will often die in a burst of red chunks that's probably supposed to be blood and guts, but they fade away almost instantly so it's a blink and you miss it sort of thing.

link3710

SKTTR

Danm, I missed the Pokémon event, so I'm 4 spirits short again.
I was completely unaware there was an event running with new Pokémon.
Why did no one tell me? I guess I just tend to ignore everything with Pokémon.
No, wait, I checked yesterday and the spirit catalog only went to 1367, with no space for new spirits. What a troll!

Anyway, I don't get why Wesker has 3 stars, and Jill has only 1 star, should be the other way around. Leon and Chris only 2 stars? No logic in this batch. Chris should get at least 3 stars instead of 2 for being the original main protagonist. Leon should get 3 or 4 stars instead of 2 for being the hero of the best games in the series.
Jill should get 3 or 4 stars instead of 1 star for being the most popular girl in the franchise, and being the main star of the movies. Wesker should get 1 or 2 stars instead of 3 stars for being an antagonist that is only playable in sidestories.

Edited on by SKTTR

gcunit

@Dogorilla Yep, you're right about the music track getting a brief credit when a fight starts, thanks. Played about 45hrs and never noticed that

@Chunkboi79 Thanks for all the tips, I'll be sure to give ol' Chunk a spin soon.

Can someone explain why the gore in a different game would affect the age rating of Smash, cos I'm pretty sure Smash only gets rated by what's in Smash, not by whatever else the characters in it might be associated with.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Grumblevolcano

@gcunit Think it's less about gore in a different game specifically but rather about making the character/stage represent the original franchise well may be more challenging if gore is a central concept of that franchise.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

@SKTTR Star ranking is just the difficulty of the spirit battle, nothing to do with how well known or popular a character is. Wesker is definitely the hardest battle of the 4.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

SKTTR

Yeah, but the other way round was true as well.

Highly requested, super-popular characters all had a 4-star ''legend'' spirit:

Skull Kid, Geno, Isaac, Dixie Kong, Krystal, Pauline, Dry Bowser, Midna, Toon Zelda, Dark Matter, Marx, Ninten, Paula, Jeff, Claus, Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, Black Knight, Medusa, Hades, Viridi, Ashley, Raiden, Dr. Eggman, Shadow the Hedgehog, Proto Man, Dr. Wily, Mega Man X, Zero, Super Macho Man, Fiora, Pyra, Mythra, Guile, M. Bison, Jeanne, Rodin, Alucard, Soma Cruz, Sheriff, Sukapon, Prince of Sablé, just to name a fe... lot.

Honorable 3-star-spirits: Chibi-Robo, Waluigi, Bomberman, Bandana Waddle Dee, Saki Amamiya, Spring Man, Ray Mk III, Takamaru, Rayman, Shovel Knight, Shantae, etc., etc., too many actually...

Two star and one star spirits are often not very popular. I found it a great design to tie popularity to a bigger challenge. You really had to fight for the cool spirits!

Anyway, I found out Wesker has a cult following.

Edited on by SKTTR

Dogorilla

@SKTTR I've noticed that generally seems to be the case too, but I wouldn't describe Sheriff or Super Macho Man (not even sure who that is) as super-popular

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Dogorilla

@DarthNocturnal Ah right, I thought it might be that wrestler guy from Rhythm Paradise.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Diddy64

Recent multiple leakers have been discarding characters here and there, as if they are badly searching for who the 5th fighter will be. Yeah I know that many could be wrong, but I now have this hunch that the 5th character could be either Agumon or Klonoa. I am hoping that if it is one of those two, that Klonoa be the one.

I have played neither franchises but I like him more due to him looking stylish and because he is of the platforming genre.

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

iKhan

@Diddy64

I have a reasonable amount of confidence that Klonoa won't make it in. He isn't even among Bandai-Namco's top 5 biggest franchises, and unlike Terry, he doesn't have any era or console distinctly associated with him.

Agumon is an interesting proposition, given that Digimon did start out as a Tamagotchi-like toy. Does that qualify as a video game in Sakurai's eyes? Given that Nintendo is fundamentally a toy company, would they be more amicable to including a toy character?

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Diddy64

@iKhan Fair point about Klonoa. About Agumon, it could happen something similar to R.O.B. who started as a toy and eventually make cameos appearances. Later he became a playable character in Mario Kart DS and a bit later entered Smash Brawl. Perhaps not the same way, but certainly coming from being a toy to reaching Smash just like R.O.B seems possible, though that depends on Nintendo and Sakurai.

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

iKhan

Also, for anyone wondering, this is what I believe @Diddy64 is referring to.

https://www.dexerto.com/smash/smash-ultimate-leaker-debunks-m...

I really hope it’s Lloyd. He’s yet to be deconfirmed, and he’s quite popular among the smash community. I’m not a big Amiibo person but you can bet I’d grab a Lloyd Amiibo.

Edit: well, RIP https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-...

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic