Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Rumor and Speculation Thread

Posts 4,101 to 4,120 of 4,604

skywake

Just dropping this video here, I'm not much of a fan of a lot of "Nintendo Youtubers" but.... this guy's pretty good. Not the usual clickbait speculation trash you often see just clear-headed thoughtful analysis

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

NinChocolate

@skywake i guess it’s good he emphasizes the internal delay is rumored. I’m not yet convinced a leak of an internal delay came via that particular rumor/chatter at that period between major outlets and inside knowers. Not an impossible rumor, certainly, I just choose to lean into doubt at this juncture

NinChocolate

skywake

@NinChocolate
To be clear, the reason I like the video isn't because it's talking about the rumour. It's more that it's not presented as if it's some secret insight they've discovered. Instead they're a bit more "this is the best info we have, this is why that could make business sense". And not just that but it's also presented, rightly, as a push-pull where there is this tension between releasing earlier and the advantages/disadvantages that'd bring and releasing later for the same

An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

NinChocolate

@skywake i agree it was interesting to listen to, and rumors notwithstanding, I’m sure it was a good analysis of that type of corporate deliberation

NinChocolate

FishyS

I thought it would be amusing to group all the 'Switch 2' threads which have been created or active recently.

Main threads:

Switch 2-focused threads created since May 2023 (21 and counting):

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

skywake

@FishyS
We've definitely had more "Switch 2" threads than we had "NX" threads. I'm not sure if that's an achievement we should be proud of but it is interesting that it played out like this. I guess Switch 2/Pro has been floating around longer than NX did so it makes some sense

.... probably more people floating around than there was back then also

Edited on by skywake

skywake

There are murmurs that the Japan reserve is going to start increasing rates. For the first time in 17 years. If they do that it will effectively reduce the value of the yen meaning that Nintendo will be able to make more money on hardware sold overseas

I suspect this decision will have more impact on Nintendo's plans than anything else

Edited on by skywake

chiiizu

@Bolt_Strike I speak fairly standard American English and I think the main thing is that the sounds get kind of jumbled together, I think hearing it for the first time it'd sound something like "switchatash" possibly. It's not like the sounds would be hard to say but I think since Switch ends in a ch and all the sounds in Attach are near the same area the sounds aren't super audibly distinct.

Can I do a completionist run of video game history? (It's still being made so we'll see)
Currently Playing: Unicorn Overlord (Switch)
Next Up: Sand Land (PC)
Panic (Reality)

GrailUK

Have we had any morcels from GDC yet?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

SwitchForce

The part missing in this is all the Software Devs whom planned and had production for Switch 2 software in 2024 Hoiday sales. Waiting til 2025 march isn't going to bring returns in their investments. This is the part everyone missed Devs can't wait as they have production schedules and staff that needs to be paid for their work and Nintendo doesn't have to worry but small/Medium Devs do so those are the people whom is missing from this discussion here. Those are whom we haven't heard from that have timelines and waiting isn't something that is good for their future Game Devs and future productions plans and schedule that has to be met. Devs already have enough delays and don't follow the Nintendo Fiscal calendar as they aren't paid by Nintendo but Customers buying their games.

SwitchForce

GrailUK

@SwitchForce I'm sure companies can handle a 3 month delay. Remember, this is all rumour and speculation. It hasn't been announced yet. It's bad enough imagining what it is without imagining peoples livelyhoods at at risk over it! Come back to Earth.

skywake

@SwitchForce
I replied to your rant on this same topic in another thread and addressed some of this there. But for your very specific concern here I think we can say some things about a developer in that scenario

Firstly, they'd have to be Switch 2 only. If the game isn't Switch 2 only then.... what's the issue? They just release on other platforms first. All of which will, by definition, have a much larger install base than a console that doesn't exist yet. The delay would be immaterial for a developer who has other platforms. Especially if the game is also on Switch. So they're Switch 2 only

If their game is going to be Switch 2 only then they're already making the choice to take on some risk. They're choosing to forgo the existing Switch audience and to a lesser extent the audience on PC/XB/PS. All so they can hopefully capture some of the early Switch 2 audience. There might be hardware reasons for that, maybe Switch 2 has some unique feature they're building their game around. Maybe they have signed a deal to be or just want to be Nintendo only and the Switch doesn't over the power they want. But whatever it is the reason, they're taking a gamble on hardware that doesn't exist yet. A 3-6 month "delay" would be insignificant compared to the other risks they're taking on here

What if the Switch 2 doesn't come out of the gate swinging? What if there are supply issues? What if consumers decide that Switch 2 isn't worth upgrading to, yet, because all it has is backwards compatibility and Metroid Prime 4? Maybe a Switch 2 that launched this year would have had a 3DS style slow early launch. Maybe your launch game ends up being the Switch 2 equivalent of Steel Diver that's there from the start but forgotten by the time people actually start buying the hardware

Nintendo's interest and the interests of this developer are shared. If Nintendo, who has far more to lose here, thinks that an early 2025 launch is going to be better for them? If they think they need something like a new 3D Mario and new Mario Kart to get this thing booming out of the gates? If they're also right about that? Then that's also advantageous to developers/publishers who are aiming for Switch 2. A rising tide lifts all boats

Edited on by skywake

GrailUK

@skywake "A rising tide lifts all boats"

I'm going to remember that one. I like it

skywake

@GrailUK
It's certainly not mine. Googling it apparently it's a phrase that was invented by one of JFK's speech writers. He liked it and apparently then used it all the time. Pretty much entirely when talking about when the economy does well everyone does well

But yeah, if the Switch 2 does well? Games developed for Switch 2 will do well. A Switch flop generally did better than a Wii U hit. Game Builder Garage on Switch, I forgot that game even existed, fair to say the game was a swing and a miss. It's still a million seller Switch. It sold better than Paper Mario Color Splash, Pokken Tournament, Hyrule Warriors, Lego City Undercover and Twilight Princess HD on Wii U

So yeah, it's the perfect phrase to express that I think

FishyS

Game Builder Garage was a great concept. I hope they continue that franchise.

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

GrailUK

@FishyS I wonder how much of it was repurposed for Tears of the Kingdom.

SwitchForce

@GrailUK Then you don't work for those Devs or know they have timeline and need cash flow to keep them in business. Your speculating that they have funds but just look at the news of gaming company getting axed. Gaming software isn't in the business of speculations.

SwitchForce

GrailUK

@SwitchForce I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Your concern only really applies to some indie developer, who punted their life savings on making a game exclusively for a console that as yet has no release date. And I dare say Nintendo would be paying some sort of fee for that exclusivity. I dunno, I just don't see how a company is going to go bust from a 3 month delay. If they do, then those seeds were planted way before.

Grumblevolcano

@GrailUK 3rd parties would be harmed more by Nintendo rushing hardware out. 3rd parties want to release their games on Switch 2 because the current Switch is so popular but if Nintendo rushes out hardware you see fewer people picking up the system because the 1st party software lineup isn't ready.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic