Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 721 to 740 of 2,232

HobbitGamer

@ReaderRagfish Lavar Burton.
Related; I played some Smash 4 matches earlier and started coming in second place with Samus. Toon Link destroyed my soul, tho

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

DannyBoi

Didn't know Nintendo Switch originally was planned to run Android. I like the OS it uses.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

Eel

Going with the car analogy, you can definitely give other people a ride in your switch-car. Give them their joycon seat and ride into the sunset.

But depending on your destination you may need to pay for the toll road. Specially if you plan to form a caravan.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Therad

Yosheel wrote:

Going with the car analogy, you can definitely give other people a ride in your switch-car. Give them their joycon seat and ride into the sunset.

But depending on your destination you may need to pay for the toll road. Specially if you plan to form a caravan.

If we go with that analogy, I would say we can sit in the car and start it, but it must stay in the parking space. Even if you are just going to a friend's house to play.

Therad

SpaceMonkey86

It's actually kinda funny. I don't think I've ever seen people so upset over $1.67 a month.

SpaceMonkey86

skywake

DannyBoi wrote:

Didn't know Nintendo Switch originally was planned to run Android. I like the OS it uses.

It wasn't. It was just another swirling rumour based on partial information. People heard Tegra, assumed Android because they lacked any understanding of what options were available

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Therad

MilkBone wrote:

It's actually kinda funny. I don't think I've ever seen people so upset over $1.67 a month.

The money is not the issue, I pay a lot more for other internet services such as newspaper because they provide some kind of value. The only value in the online sub for me is the ability to play online. The cost for that is basically nothing for Nintendo when it comes to their games and they have no cost at all when it comes to games not made by Nintendo.

I personally believe it is a bad practice that a company force a customer to pay for something they don't even have any costs associated to, don't you agree?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was illegal under antitrust laws, the courts are always a bit behind when it comes to internet tech.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Eel

Therad wrote:

Yosheel wrote:

If we go with that analogy, I would say we can sit in the car and start it, but it must stay in the parking space. Even if you are just going to a friend's house to play.

It just wasn't much of a good analogy to begin with.

You can't compare online multiplayer to riding a car with other people, it simply doesn't make much sense.

It would be much more comparable to local multiplayer. Because being in a car together implies you're physically in the same place.

Now maybe it would make more sense if each person has a car, and you must pay if you wish to go in a convoy with them.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

gcunit

MilkBone wrote:

Why pay that when you can get it for £0.60 per month?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Therad

subpopz wrote:

Therad wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if this was illegal under antitrust laws, the courts are always a bit behind when it comes to internet tech.

They must be way behind, because Sony's been charging a paywall for years now. Many of their games are P2P as well and some of the few dedicated servers there actually are, are run by the third parties with no cost to Sony. And they charge a lot more for it.
I don't necessarily disagree with you ( I think the Online structure could be different), I just don't get why this a huge issue now that the last hold out starting charging when 2 others have been doing it for many years now.
There was initial outcry against them and it was long since forgotten. Same thing will happen to Nintendos.

Google quite recently got slapped with a (meager) antitrust fine because they have forced chrome and search onto android phones. These things can take time, and they might not be as clear to ordinary people. Consoles are much more niche than phones.

Personally, I feel forcing a customer to pay for a third-party service is worse ethically than pre-installing chrome on android phones. Now, that doesn't mean the sub is illegal nor that it is legal. But I would personally be interested to see it tried in court, antitrust laws are there to make sure competition is healthy.

Therad

shaneoh

Therad wrote:

These things can take time, and they might not be as clear to ordinary people. Consoles are much more niche than phones.

Just look at lootboxes and how long it has taken for them to be classed as gambling in some countries.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Therad

subpopz wrote:

@Therad The difference though, is that Google preinstalled Chrome when there's options for other services. Same thing happened to Microsoft, I believe, for their preinstalled apps on Windows. There's really no such stance on a console for online. You buy a Switch, you have to use Nintendos online service as there is no other option. Same for PS and XB, they all just charge for their own online access. There is no competition on each individual console, so I'm not sure how antitrust laws would come into it in that regard. Maybe in the cases of the few dedicated 3rd party servers, where that 3rd party could be charging a la subscription MMO's, instead of Sony getting the sub while not actually running the server.

If it came to it, thoughm I'd like to see them remove the fee for playing online, most of it's P2P anyway and not costing them anything. Instead have them just be services. Nintendo would have the NES/SNESFlix to fall back on, though they'd need to ramp up a much bigger selection a lot faster, cloud saves, sales and special offers. Sony could combine their sub with PS Now. I'm not as familiar with XBox Live with what they could do, but they'd have to add something.
Turn them into real subscription services, instead of a sub for basic online functionality.

And that is in essence what I would like to see. Nesflix should be able to stand on their own. Technically, I wouldn't care if they would still have their own games in the sub. If people wants to shoot themselves in the foot, they should be able to do so.

@shaneoh good point.

Therad

Alantor28

@gcunit Hey gcunit, I know I made a report about this, but Therad said the S word on post #825, so can you do something about it? I know I should file a report about things like this, but sometimes, I need to reach out to a moderator.

On topic, I strongly believe the Online Service will get better and like subpopz said, people will forget why they're angry at the Online Service in time.

Edit: Oh I noticed that the S word is removed. Sorry about that.

Edited on by Alantor28

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698

gcunit

@Alantor28 I'm not a moderator anymore, so you'll have to go elsewhere from now on. But if someone uses profanity on this site... nearly all the words you'd think of get automatically flagged for the mods. So just let it go and move would be my advice. That rock we're sitting on keeps on spinning...

Edited on by gcunit

toiletduck

gcunit wrote:

@Alantor28 I'm not a moderator anymore, so you'll have to go elsewhere from now on. But if someone uses profanity on this site... nearly all the words you'd think of get automatically flagged for the mods. So just let it go and move would be my advice. That rock we're sitting on keeps on spinning...

/offtopic: so it seems like I've missed something, but since when are you not a mod? Or have I assumed you are one wrongly all this time? Not that I've been around that long of course...

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

HobbitGamer

See @gcunit? It’s not just me that thought that!!

I had a realization today that since I end up doing around $2 worth of Google Rewards surveys a month, I could make a Paypal account and have my next sub paid for in 12 months! Yay money

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

gcunit

@toiletduck I made some comments recently that didn't align with the mainstream and thus proved controversial enough to warrant de-modding.

shaneoh

gcunit wrote:

I made some comments recently that didn't align with the mainstream and thus proved controversial enough to warrant de-modding.

That'll teach you not to spout your insane theories that the world is spherical. The earth is a disc resting on the backs of four elephants, who are themselves standing upon a turtle that is swimming through space.

(I suspected those comments, which I wholeheartedly agreed with, were the reason for your demodding.)

Edited on by shaneoh

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Therad

Sometimes I don't understand this forum. I have been called insane and others have been called autists on these very boards, but I can't use that word to describe a practice? How about some perspective?

O well. But I still believe it is a cow's excrement practice that a company force a customer to pay for something they didn't developed nor have any costs associated to.

Therad

Eel

If it comes up in the profanity detector I’ll censor it.

I honestly could care less about the context, meaning, intention, or any perceived justifications.

It’s simple like that.

However if you do find anyone using autist as an insult, please do report them.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic