Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 701 to 720 of 2,230

HobbitGamer

I think the only DC I’ve had since February is Fortnite, and that was when everyone had some load issues.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Kimyonaakuma

To be honest I've found MK8D to be performing better online, and Splatoon 2 seems to slightly improved too (it used to take forever to find a match, now it's almost instant).

There was a moment either yesterday or the day before when my Switch just stopped working when it came to any online features, but I'm not sure if that's due to the NS Online Service or my internet. My internet has been unreliable at times since the big storm this week, but my Switch was the only device with problems during that moment...strange...

Kimyonaakuma

mowerdude

I am having this problem with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It's the only Switch game that I play online.

Untitled

mowerdude

Kimyonaakuma

@mowerdude Maybe try this? It's matches your error code anyway
fixed_error_code_26180516_by_changing_dns_settings

I find that Nintendo consoles can have weird online issues that don't affect anything else that I own, but it seems to return to normal after a while. I'm not sure if that's common though, and there's probably a better reason behind why it all happens

Kimyonaakuma

EvilLucario

I don't think I've EVER been disconnected from Mario Kart or Splatoon tbh...

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

skywake

JaxonH wrote:

It's not that Nintendo Online doesn't provide value. I think the value is there.

The issue is, some features that people expect are either incomplete or missing entirely, even for a $20 service. It's like... buying a car that has no AC, no heater, no radio or CD player, but comes with bucket seats and lane assist.

I don't think this is the right analogy because I don't think people are complaining about missing features. At least not as far as I'm aware. The people who are complaining are simply having a big whine about the way the standard features it has included are implemented. So it's not really like buying a car with no AC.

It's kinda more like buying a car that's half the price of the other model and complaining that there are only electric windows for the front seats. And you know what? The audio system has Bluetooth but no buttons on the steering wheel for answering a call, it's also not a digital radio. It gets worse, this large colour display up the front? It's just for album art! There is no reversing camera and there is no built in GPS.

Sure the other cars on the market are $50,000 and this is a $20,000 budget model new. But why are they so behind on these critical features? Surely it wouldn't have been that hard to implement AC in the glovebox!

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

HobbitGamer

@skywake I heart your face so much haha

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Therad

skywake wrote:

JaxonH wrote:

It's not that Nintendo Online doesn't provide value. I think the value is there.

The issue is, some features that people expect are either incomplete or missing entirely, even for a $20 service. It's like... buying a car that has no AC, no heater, no radio or CD player, but comes with bucket seats and lane assist.

I don't think this is the right analogy because I don't think people are complaining about missing features. At least not as far as I'm aware. The people who are complaining are simply having a big whine about the way the standard features it has included are implemented. So it's not really like buying a car with no AC.

It's kinda more like buying a car that's half the price of the other model and complaining that there are only electric windows for the front seats. And you know what? The audio system has Bluetooth but no buttons on the steering wheel for answering a call, it's also not a digital radio. It gets worse, this large colour display up the front? It's just for album art! There is no reversing camera and there is no built in GPS.

Sure the other cars on the market are $50,000 and this is a $20,000 budget model new. But why are they so behind on these critical features? Surely it wouldn't have been that hard to implement AC in the glovebox!

Personally I don't like that despite having bought a Nintendo car and paid all the road taxes, I can't have any passengers in the car without paying a monthly fee to the car maker. Sure, they also setup a Nes bobble head for that price, but I really didn't need that one.

Therad

Therad

ReaderRagfish wrote:

The only game I have connection issues with Street Fighter Collection and I'm pretty sure that's the fault of the game and not the Switch or my connection. Still annoying though, I want to play Third Strike online and I don't have a PS3 or 360.

Overall, smaller communities will die off faster and the big communities will survive. MK8 and Splatoon will still work mostly the same, you will see the same people more frequently and they will have a harder time matching the right level that matches you.

The smaller ones on the other hand might have trouble finding players for matches. Games that don't have cross play will be particularly vulnerable.

Therad

OorWullie

@Therad I don't see it that way. I think most of the folk you meet online in games, from smaller titles like ARMS and Mario Tennis to the bigger games like Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 are the very folk who will be subscribing to the service. The more casual gamer or those that have no interest in subscribing likely never played much online to begin with,so their presence won't be missed. It might take a few weeks to get back to normal as not everyone will subscribe Immediately but it will.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Moroboshi876

So, no special discounts for subscribers on the weekly eShop sales, huh?

I hope it changes after this first week that I guess everybody is using for the free trial. If special offers is the chance of buying those NES pads... we've been victims of a con.

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

gcunit

Probably my main interest will be whether my Splatoon 2 experience is going to improve.

I play mostly casual Turf War, and the amount of times a player will score 0p (or nearly as low) drives me nuts.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

electrolite77

EvilLucario wrote:

@JaxonH The thing about the online checks for NES games is that now Sony is doing the exact same thing with their upgraded PSNow service.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/20/playstation-now-ad...

But I don't see anywhere NEAR the amount of blowback against Sony for this. Why? Because it honestly does not matter in the slightest, but because it's Nintendo and online people want to latch onto ANYTHING to hate on the service. I think the service is not as good as it could be, but that specific complaint is just completely dumb, especially when a competitor is now doing the exact same thing.

Yeah i don’t think that complaint is a big deal. However PS Now is slightly different in being a totally optional subscription on top of the one that requires Online play, and actually the changes they are making now improve the service as it was previously streaming only. They’ve actually made the service much more functional for anyone who loses their internet for a while. No wonder nobody is complaining about that

Edited on by electrolite77

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Therad

ReaderRagfish wrote:

Therad wrote:

ReaderRagfish wrote:

The only game I have connection issues with Street Fighter Collection and I'm pretty sure that's the fault of the game and not the Switch or my connection. Still annoying though, I want to play Third Strike online and I don't have a PS3 or 360.

Overall, smaller communities will die off faster and the big communities will survive. MK8 and Splatoon will still work mostly the same, you will see the same people more frequently and they will have a harder time matching the right level that matches you.

The smaller ones on the other hand might have trouble finding players for matches. Games that don't have cross play will be particularly vulnerable.

You misunderstand. I don't have trouble finding players, I have trouble with lag and disconnections in this one game. And apparently this game's like this on other platforms too.

A smaller pool of players also makes it harder to connect to players with good internet. Remember, other players are the ones hosting games. If you don't have anyone near you, you will connect to someone further away. Less people = less good hosts.

Therad

Therad

Peer to peer isn't the problem, it is the paywall that is the problem. Why people have talked about peer to peer is because people have said they need a paywall because of the cost of the servers. Which is blatantly false.

The real problem is it makes the community smaller just to make a quick buck. I would not be against the service at all if they had left online out of it. The only reason they are locking online behind the sub is because they wouldn't get many people to sub otherwise.

I also think people will be disappointed if they think Nintendo will reinvest the money into the service. As long as people pay, they actually have no incentive to make it better. It is if people stop paying they need to do something.

It is pure greed and people try to make it sound like it is necessary.

Therad

-Green-

Nintendo probably just expects this to be something that blows over and people forget about. Basically becoming a 'normal' part of things, like how paid online for Sony and Microsoft is. It probably won't take long.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

HobbitGamer

The only reason they are locking online behind the sub is because they said they were going to.

#MudStrongs

EvilLucario

The ideal way to go about it imo would have been for PS3 PS+ where you got the free games and stuff, but online play was free. But that ship has long sailed by now unfortunately.

Unfortunately, dedicated servers has become yet another buzzword to throw around, just like the term "anti-consumer".

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

skywake

Therad wrote:

Personally I don't like that despite having bought a Nintendo car and paid all the road taxes, I can't have any passengers in the car without paying a monthly fee to the car maker. Sure, they also setup a Nes bobble head for that price, but I really didn't need that one.

If you want to bring up a comparison to what it was like before then it'd have to be a free option. So this whole "online services like car" analogy falls apart because there is no "free driving" alternative really. Probably the closest you could get would be to say that their previous option was like having your parents drive you everywhere. Free, serviceable, less bells and whistles but at this stage it isn't really an option anymore.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

HobbitGamer

@skywake Add to the parent lift analogy the fact that you didn’t own the car and they could stop giving you a lift whenever they want

The whole thing’s moot anyway. Online was free temporarily, with everyone’s knowledge. Nintendo didn’t pull a fast one on anybody. They even said at one point “Hey, were not ready yet, so enjoy some more free time”.

I’m enjoying my $20 spent, and will definitely be glad I have it when the Smashpocalypse occurs.

#MudStrongs

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic