Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 961 to 980 of 3,072

-Juice-

OBJECTION!!!!

Game Freak does not make the models, that task goes to Creatures Inc.
None of this is surprising though, because Game Freak's PR has been wiling to lie many times outside of just the modelling department. The animations are not new, Pokemon like Tyranitar still are not properly scaled in battle (but are properly scaled in the over-world), and the "balance" excuse went out the window the moment they made a battle feature that only select Pokemon can use.

I can handle losing the National Dex, but what I do not like is being lied to.

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

-Green-

Yeah I’m calling a lie there too. There’s no way they had to redo every model. Not to mention the amount of time it would take to make every model look as identical as they are now to the previous ones would be absurd

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

MsJubilee

@Tsurii Don't take everything at face value.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

-Green-

Tons of people reuse animations and models etc. the reason some people are upset with Gamefreak about it is that they don’t like that Gamefreak is using greater quality animations and such as a justification for the cutting of Pokémon. That and some are upset that they’re still reusing 3DS era animations.

Ralizah

What's the opposite of damage control? lol

Look, I think this is a stupid controversy in the first place (especially the thing where we ignore how pretty the rest of the game looks because one tree somewhere in an unfinished project looks bad), but this excuse making isn't a good look.

They have three options (that I can see):
1) Own the direction they're going and stop making excuses for their decisions.
2) Pull a Sonic the Hedgehog and delay the game so that they can make the necessary changes to please the fans (though I imagine Nintendo would not be enthusiastic about sinking their lucrative holiday season sales, especially after Animal Crossing was delayed into next year)
3) Release the game as it is, promise to patch in support for the rest of the Mons over time, and promise to "do better" in the future regarding the Pokemon animations

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Anti-Matter

@Ralizah
Pokemon Sword / Shield will features Zacian & Zamazenta as Wolf Pokemons.
I think Gamefreaks should learn from TECMO how to animate Wolf monster beautifully like Tiger from Monster Rancher 4 PS2.
Just my opinion.

Anti-Matter

Monkeido

@Ralizah You forgot number 4: Just keep doing what you're doing and still make tons of money.

Monkeido

iKhan

Ralizah wrote:

2) Pull a Sonic the Hedgehog and delay the game so that they can make the necessary changes to please the fans (though I imagine Nintendo would not be enthusiastic about sinking their lucrative holiday season sales, especially after Animal Crossing was delayed into next year)

This is why I have some sympathy for Game Freak here. They don't have the freedom every other developer under Nintendo has to delay when its necessary. They have effectively become slaves to the greater franchise at this point.

TPC is just such a monolith, and they need Game Freak to keep feeding it.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CanisWolfred

Octane wrote:

@Tsurii Check the second clip. I don't believe any of it.

It uses the same animation, but clearly has different models. The article itself said that the staff was split into two groups, so only half of their art team are working on Pokemon. They did indeed have to do some copy/paste with animations, but the models themselves had to be redone. The larger areas, more involved backrounds during gym battles, etc. likely required that more people than usual from modeling and animation had to be moved to this second group, leaving the guys at Gamefreak in charge of handling the Pokemon and their various attacks shorthanded.

-Juice- wrote:

OBJECTION!!!!

Game Freak does not make the models, that task goes to Creatures Inc.

No they don't. Not for the main games in the series, at least. Game Freak handles the models for the main games in-house. They did provide assistance on Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, looking at their official website, but Creature is mostly in charge of other aspects of the franchise.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

-Green-

We can’t say for sure atm, since we don’t have the game here to actually break down, but I do have a innate bias against Pokémon and their PR talk. They usually just come up with some half baked excuse instead of just saying the actual truth

-Juice-

Creatures Inc did the models in X and Y, Game Freak did the art:
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2013/10/23/5015194/how-g...
Creatures Inc does every 3D model:
https://cgworld.jp/interview/creatures-201707.html
Creatures Inc worked on the improved models for LGPE, as noted in the credits:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/switch/pokmon-lets-go-pikachu/...
Creatures Inc also did modeling for Sun and Moon:
https://cgworld.jp/feature/201707-cgw227GG-pokemon.html

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

Octane

@CanisWolfred But they talked about new high quality animations being the reason for the lack of national dex. Even the trainer animations are copy-pasted.

And all the 3D models for the Pokemon are made by Creatures; Pkmn GO, XY, Sun/Moon, and Sword/Shield all use the same Pokemon models and animations.

Octane

Zuljaras

@Octane So they lie about the reason the national dex is not happening for Sword and Shield?

I did not follow all the news about that because it is a ****storm in every thread about Sword and Shield.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Octane

@Zuljaras Yeah, that's the point. Not so much that they're cutting the dex, but that they're talking BS when it comes to explaining why. They said the reason is that they'rw working on high quality animations. Even though all of them are the same as XY and Sun/Moon. Even trainer animations are recycled, and animations in general look very low budget. Now they're talking about having to redo all the 3D models, even though it's Creatures that does the 3D modeling for the Pokemon, and they're pretty much the same as far as we can tell.

Just say it's too much work to implement/balance 1000 Pokemon. No need to lie about it.

Octane

Zuljaras

@Octane Damn I can already see them adding older Pokemon to the game with patches and NOT allowing players to battle because one of them do not have the same version as the other.

At least they can share patches without internet but that is not the point.

Is this the start of the Pokémon Company downfall?

Justifier

Game Freak should hire more people. Rockstar had about thousand people working on RDR2. Game Freak should be 500 strong at least.

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

Grumblevolcano

@Zuljaras They've already said Sword/Shield isn't getting more Pokemon post-launch. So then the 2020 Pokemon games have a different collection of Pokemon (some that weren't in Sword/Shield, some in Sword/Shield being cut) and the process repeats.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic