Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 581 to 600 of 3,072

Heavyarms55

@-Green- I enjoyed Lily's story, but it was her story, not yours. If they do the narrative route in this game, I hope they put the player is the main character.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

toiletduck

@Anti-Matter @Heavyarms55 I'd really like that, but I think 2020 is a year for a Let's Go title (Johto; Gold/Silver/Crystal based). 2021 could either be a new region/generation or a Sinnoh remake. Either way, if they keep Let's Go, they'd have to alter their heartbeat of new/remake games. I personally don't care about the Let's Go games, so I wouldn't mind to go back to the old rhythm

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Dezzy

So how is this open area working? Are they gonna have like towns and main locations with just a fixed camera but then in the open area you can control the camera?
That sounds kinda weird to me. Like I'll get used to controlling the camera and it'll feel annoying when I suddenly can't do it.
I would really prefer if they have a smaller segmented world but you can always control the camera. Camera control doesn't need to mean complete open-world. Look at something like Dark Souls 1.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

Dezzy wrote:

Camera control doesn't need to mean complete open-world. Look at something like Dark Souls 1.

Uncharted has camera control, so yeah..

Octane

darkfenrir

Dezzy wrote:

So how is this open area working? Are they gonna have like towns and main locations with just a fixed camera but then in the open area you can control the camera?
That sounds kinda weird to me. Like I'll get used to controlling the camera and it'll feel annoying when I suddenly can't do it.
I would really prefer if they have a smaller segmented world but you can always control the camera. Camera control doesn't need to mean complete open-world. Look at something like Dark Souls 1.

NieR: Automata has parts where you have free camera and fixed though, although that one really utilizing it well by making the camera style to harken back to other genres, which I doubt Pokemon will do.

darkfenrir

Octane

@darkfenrir I'd even argue that as long as you're not actively hunting Pokemon (looking for them in trees, having the ability to draw the attention of flying Pokemon by throwing a rock, or even using binoculars or something like that, etc.), you don't even need a free camera in Pokemon games. It doesn't really add anything meaningful to the gameplay when you're just walking around, running up to Pokemon, or finding a random encounter in the grass.

Octane

darkfenrir

@Octane That is true. But free camera is nice to use to look around though, can't deny that!

At least the free camera's at the important part, the Wild Area where Pokemons roam

darkfenrir

Octane

@darkfenrir I wonder what the draw distance will be in that case...

Untitled

Octane

darkfenrir

@Octane Man, I'm betting at most the pokemon we can see roaming is up to half of the lake xD

darkfenrir

Ralizah

The Switch is a tablet. There's a limit to what it can do in big, open games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

Dezzy wrote:

Camera control doesn't need to mean complete open-world. Look at something like Dark Souls 1.

Uncharted has camera control, so yeah..

Lol yeah I realise I worded that to make it sound rare when it's really not.

Although Dark Souls and Uncharted are both bad examples really because those games both need controllable camera for the gameplay. Whereas in this case, the gameplay of Pokemon doesn't really change with a fixed camera.

-Green-

fixed camera basically did nothing for Pokemons gameplay anyways. The most you’d get out of it was Gamefreak occasionally trying to hide items behind buildings or trees.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Heavyarms55

@toiletduck That would make since. If they decide to continue the Let's Go series on "off years" I wouldn't mind honestly.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

TOUGHDUDE94

i hope the rotom drome camera can be used in VR and you can take pics that way

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

Harmonie

@Heavyarms55 But they already have different titles to make in off-years, the "third versions" and the real remakes (like HG/SS and OR/AS). They're going through generations pretty quickly nowadays, so they don't really have room to fit all three of these into one generation.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

Ralizah

I was pretty disappointed in SuMo as well. They exerted way too much control over over the flow of the gameplay. At the time, the advances in character and environmental geometry were impressive, though. Sw/Sh blow them away with an orbital laser on that front, of course. These games look so good.

As to open worlds: the best ones, like BotW, allow the lay of the land and subtle design hints to guide the player naturally. Dark Souls does this as well with intelligent level design. Most open world games I've played aren't this elegant, though: they take a linear plot and a mess of side activities and puke them out over a large, largely non-interactive map. Then you spend the rest of the game chasing after icons on a map.

If a game doesn't allow the player to do their own thing at their own pace, like BotW, then it's usually better if they're linear and more tightly designed.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Anti-Matter

You know...
Open World or not, i still enjoy Classic style Pokemon games on 3DS.
Sun / Moon (Also with Ultra) were kinda odd one but i still want to play them.

Anti-Matter

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

It doesn't really add anything meaningful to the gameplay when you're just walking around, running up to Pokemon, or finding a random encounter in the grass.

I like it purely because it gives you more of a sense of immersion in the environments. It's nice to be able to look around and notice things.
It's also usually necessary so you can look far into the distance, to get a proper sense of scale of the world. Fixed cams are rarely positioned horizontal to the character so you can see into the distance. They're usually top-down in some way.

Eel

Dezzy wrote:

Fixed cams are rarely positioned horizontal to the character so you can see into the distance.

And when they are, people complain

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic