Forums

Topic: Pokemon Sword & Shield

Posts 561 to 580 of 3,072

SViper

@toiletduck from Direct we understood that Gym Leaders will have Dynamax Pokémon in party, so you will battle them in Gyms and maybe at E4/Champ battles too.

From what I saw in Direct it was great, but I still can't choose which copy I buy even after Legendaries reveal. From new revealed Pokémon I really liked it Wooloo and Drednaw, and I hope Drednaw atleast evolves once.
PS I want know if we able access Mega and Z-Moves in game at all. And if yes at which point of game we will be able access them.

http://twitch.tv/TheSViper
https://www.change.org/p/anmtvla-pokemonlatam-español-latino-en-los-juegos-de-pokémon - let's help this petition for Latin American Spanish be add to Pokémon games and with that may increase chance that in future Pokémon games adds more languages. :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-7289-6600-2802 | 3DS Friend Code: 4270-5974-5136 | My Nintendo: SViper | Nintendo Network ID: TheSViper | Twitter:

Late

@SViper I'd expect Mega Evolutions to stay in the game. While they drop mechanics, they don't drop Pokémon. Well, unless it's some one-off special Pokémon like Spiky-Eared Pichu. They've also been part of every Pokémon game since their introduction. I don't expect to see them until post-game though. Z-moves are something I hope they don't bring back since the Dynamax thing does mostly the same thing but slightly better.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Ralizah

It's about time they turned the Pokedex into a smartphone.

I liked Rotom, so no issues here.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Eel

It kinda looked like a porygon z to me.

Either way let's just hope it learned to shut up. Though I guess, with no bottom screen for it, they can't make it quite as annoying again, right?

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

-Green-

I wonder if they’re gonna bring back that camera thing from SM. It may work very well with the Wild area

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

-Green-

Btw, don’t look up Sword and Shield on YouTube for the trailer or anything. Stupid youtubers posting supposedly confirmed leaks with stuff in the thumbnails. So annoying

Grumblevolcano

Surely Rotom in past Pokemon games wasn't as annoying as Fi in Skyward Sword?

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

-Green-

Naw, Fi was worse. Rotor atleast gave you helpful stuff and smiled

Octane

I still remember when Rotom was just a Pokemon you used in battle.

Octane

-Green-

remember when rotom was kind of scary and found only in a haunted mansion inside a single tv. Then in that exact same Gen he went from kind of spooky to just mischievous

Edited on by -Green-

kkslider5552000

The Wild Area is a pretty good compromise for people wanting that open world Pokemon game. Because it would be a terrible, terrible idea if they did that, but adding more open areas is an actual good idea and likely adds a lot to the atmosphere of being IN the Pokemon world. I like it.

I mean I'm not sure I'm gonna get it, but that was true almost regardless of what they did so whatever.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Eel

I only know rotom preferred to mope in the touch screen instead of letting me look at the damn map.

He wasn’t that bad in sun and moon, but the ultra games over did it with the repetitive questions and desire for attention.

Fi reminded you to heal or save every now and then. Rotom -always- has something to say or is covering the map with a sad face after like, every single battle. (In ultra). And some of his interactions can’t be skipped if you happen to initiate them.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tyranexx

I like a lot of the new 'Mon that were shown. Corviknight is definitely my favorite design out of this batch. As for the legendary Pokemon, I'm leaning towards Shield now barring any exclusive Pokemon that'll attract me back to Sword; I much prefer Zamazenta's design over Zacian.

Dynamaxing is essentially Pokemon Kaiju IMO. It's an interesting idea, but it seems like a bit much at present. XD

kkslider5552000 wrote:

The Wild Area is a pretty good compromise for people wanting that open world Pokemon game. Because it would be a terrible, terrible idea if they did that, but adding more open areas is an actual good idea and likely adds a lot to the atmosphere of being IN the Pokemon world. I like it.

I agree, I think this was a perfect solution. I know a lot of people want games to go fully open world, but in some cases I don't think this is wise. A game that'll let you go off on your own for a little while before gently pulling you back on track is a worthy compromise IMO.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Heavyarms55

There was basically nothing in the Direct I didn't like! I am really looking forward to these games. I hope Mega evos and Z-moves come back in the post game for PvP! Having all 3 would make for a wild and exciting battles!

But I do hope we have the ability to play without them as well. I am really looking forward to getting back into competitive Pokemon again this winter. I had largely burned out around Sun and Moon because I had been going at it hard since gen 4, but now that I sat out most of USUM and the joke that was LGPE competitive battling, I am looking forward to getting back into it! All the more so, knowing that Pokemon Home should let us bring out collection to the new games in early 2020.

Movable camera is great and honestly long overdue and the wild area plus raid battles has me pretty excited.

I like the professor, and her assistant is a cutie and I bet already has all the fan art and smut, lol. The Champ gave me a "prince" vibe and I was surprised he was the champ instead.

I will probably preorder the double pack with the steel book.

Still hoping the villainous team is more like Team Rocket than Galactic or whatever the team in XY was called. I'd still prefer criminals to world ending maniacs!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

JaxonH

I never visit Pokémon threads.

And yet after seeing that Direct... here I am. In a Pokémon thread.

Not even sure why. I just feel compelled to be here after that incredible, amazing new Pokémon game they showcased. Full camera control, Pokémon visible in the Wild while also retaining random battles in the grassy areas. Shaking trees, fishing, camping, riding little bicycle paddle boats across the lake, with a sprawling world to explore and gorgeous... nay... immaculate artstyle.

This game just rocketed up to my most wanted game on the Nintendo Switch (right behind Fire Emblem, naturally 😁)

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Anti-Matter

After watching the Direct yesterday, i was thinking what Pokemon game for next year (2020) ?
Could it be Remake of Diamond / Pearl / Platinum with Sword/ Shield engine ??

Anti-Matter

iKhan

Did anyone notice a very subtle wording in Masuda's presentation?

"You can take on the role of the main character"
This pretty much confirms what I've thought for a while, that Game Freaks ideas about what the Pokemon series is fundamentally conflicts with what mine and many other player's experience is.

I've never "taken on the role of the main character" in a Pokemon game. I'm not playing as someone else, I'm playing as myself in a fantasy world. While this difference sounds trivial, it's a major factor in the difference between fantasy and narrative.

In the case of fantasy, think Monster Hunter. You create a character that you may or may not choose to represent yourself. Then the plot and progression are fairly non-invasive to the story you want your character to have. Dialogue and cutscenes mainly serve to set context for your character's experience. When there are characters and stories, they aren't ABOUT you, you are intervening in the world of others.

In the case of narrative, think about your traditional JRPG. I play lots of Tales, so I'll go with that. Yuri Lowell is a complete character before you turn on the game. You are controlling Yuri, but the story is about him (and the rest of the main cast). When something happens in the world to NPCs, it's always in the context of Yuri or the main cast.

What does this have to do with Pokemon? Well, games have progressively amped up elements of the latter rather than the former. Your rivals are your "friends", and they talk about their relationship with the main character. Cutscenes are common, in part to paint a story in the context of the main character (and handholding, but that's a story for another time). Rarely do you ever stumble upon someone else's story (I've recently been replaying Pokemon Crystal, the well in Azelea town is a perfect example of when you do see someone else's story)

In my opinion, that approach is fundamentally at odds with the structure and gameplay of the core games, given that the gameplay is all about you building your own team and taking on a test of your skill in the context of the Pokemon league. The only Pokemon game that has really pulled off an actual JRPG-like narrative is Colloseum, because there is no question that Wes is a unique character. Progression is guided by the story, and no other goal.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter I would be completely okay if they waited 2 years before another release this time. I think part of why this game looks good is that they have taken their time with it. I fully suspect they started working on it even before USUM since it was stated that USUM were being done by their younger, less experienced team members. I also suspect that the Let's Go titles were partly made so they could get practice working with the Switch and still make a profit before releasing the full meat game.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

-Green-

I’m just really glad wild Pokémon are visible in the overworld again, and that said area is more ‘organic’ in design. It’s been a dream of mine since like forever and this a good step in the right direction.

However if Gamefreak does go for a more present narrative this time around, hopefully they either make it less intrusive or actually decent. Sun and Moon was basically all about Lily, and while it was competently told it suffered from poor pacing and was fairly basic.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic