Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 1,421 to 1,440 of 15,879

FragRed

@NotTelevision I wouldn’t personally count the indie Direct as a main Direct and the Game Awards didn’t really show much for the Nintendo Switch. This is why people are eager for a Direct because we know little of what’s coming in the form of first party games this year.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

MuhBael

And third party too. I'm thirsty for more ports

MuhBael

My Nintendo: Martin685

FragRed

@MuhBael Indeed. I’m curious to know what offerings we will be seeing this year, regardless of what rumours are saying. Though got to keep those expectations in check. Even with the huge success of the Switch in both terms of hardware sales and the evident success third parties are themselves seeing, they still seem to struggle with the idea of porting games to it - even with titles that you’d think would be a guaranteed success.

Edited on by FragRed

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

MuhBael

True, one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the PS5 and Xbox X release later this year is because I believe the Switch will start getting more ports from PS3/Xbox 360 and PS4/Xbox One due to not being able to play PS5/Xbox X third party games.

MuhBael

FragRed

@MuhBael I’m not sure if we will receive many last 360/PS3 era ports from third party developers/publishers. I’m kinda wondering if they’ll focus on the games that arrived during the cross generation period between last generation and current generation instead with the occasional more recent release. It’ll definitely become lesser as next generation starts to see games that only appear on that hardware in a year or two.

RR529

Some things I'd like to see:

• a port of Final Fantasy Type-0 HD. It goes on sale on PS4 pretty regularly, but as it has it's origins on Vita, Switch shouldn't have a problem running it, and with Switch getting a glut of other FF releases, I've been holding out.
  • Ace Combat. I'd rather play 7 on PS4, but I'd gladly take an HD remaster of one of the PS2, *PSP, or 3DS games. Of course, a brand new title for Switch would be good as well.
  • Dead or Alive. Preferrably 5 as it would probably run better on the system (or a new title made with Switch in mind). If 6, I'd probably just pick it up on PS4.
  • The modern Ninja Gaiden trilogy would be swell.
  • On the first party front I'd love to see either Wind Waker HD (which I've never played) or Twilight Princess HD make it over. A sequel to Kirby: Planet Robobot would be great as well, and of course Prime Trilogy HD.

Sorry there's a lot of HD remasters mixed in there, but it's easier to pick out things I know I missed out on, rather than new things I don't even know I want yet (like Astral Chain & Daemon X Machina were).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

NotTelevision

@MuhBael 3rd parties are not going to go through much effort porting old games over to Switch. The reason why Capcom is porting Devil May Cry 1-3 is because it is identical to the PS4 HD release. I doubt they’d go through the trouble with the RE2 Remake for example.

If the Switch does get the fabled Mass Effect Trilogy, Bioshock, or the old Fallout games, it would be the result of a simultaneous release on PS4/5. They wouldn’t go through the trouble just for Switch owners.

Too bad big third parties aren’t happy with moderate successes. Ubisoft’s Rabids game sold well enough on Switch, for other AAAs to look into the prospect of making exclusive games on Switch. Enough is not enough for them though, even for games made on a modest budget 😐

NotTelevision

MuhBael

@RR529 I like it, I would personally love a Twilight Princess port since I need a Zelda game to play and it Metroid Trilogy is a must if Nintendo wants new players to keep up to date for Prime 4

MuhBael

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed Now that Microsoft has shown their true intentions (no Series X games that aren't playable on XB1 for at least a year), I think Switch may get a longer period of being supported with current gen ports.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

the8thark

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@FragRed Now that Microsoft has shown their true intentions (no Series X games that aren't playable on XB1 for at least a year)

In my opinion that's a seriously bad mistake from Microsoft. Console launches always do better with a good exclusive. MS really need the XB1X crowd to be wanting to upgrade to a new Xbox. They now don't have any incentive to do so for at least a year.

I think they need to learn from Nintendo. Apart from BotW, the first year was mostly Switch only games. Year 2 and 3 had the ports. However they are not cross generational, they are enhanced versions with added content. After BotW was out, the WiiU was effectively abandoned by Nintendo. The correct move my Nintendo.

I feel Sony has the better method of dealing with with this for their PS5. Have exclusive games for the PS5 but also have (rumoured) native PS4 game support. Gives people a reason to move to the PS5 for the new games without feeling like they are tethered to keeping their PS4 hooked up as they will all play on the PS5.

the8thark

rallydefault

@the8thark
I think we live in a different time now, though. People go crazy for new console launches just because of the culture around gaming and a new tier of "gotta have it now" thinking spread ever quicker by social media that continues to balloon. You don't need a "must have" exclusive at launch: your console is guaranteed to sell out at launch no matter what. Just look at Wii U. Even THAT sold out during the immediate launch weeks, and that was years ago. PS4 launched with Knack and an extremely mediocre Killzone game. We all know how that went.

Series X will sell out at launch regardless of what games it offers. It may cool down right after the first months much like the Wii U did, but yea, I would wager everything I own that, like every modern console, it will have no issue selling out at launch even if its launch titles are Knack or nothing at all lol

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

the8thark

@rallydefault

The WiiU did sell out at launch but it's numbers were no where near Wii numbers. I'm a good example. I bought a Wii at launch but didn't get a WiiU till 2 years in because there was no games I wanted.

The PS4 was the rare case of the most powerful console selling the most. That rarely happens. The WiiU and XB1 launches both were flubbed so Sony only had to limp over the line to win. To Sony's credit they went for the kill and really drove home their advantage.

Also selling out, you can artifically limit supply and easily sell out.
I do agree with you that the Series X will sell out at launch. The sales trend months and years beyond that might be different though.

the8thark

sixrings

People upgrade their phones every year not because they need to but because they want the latest. No exclusives won't change sales for Xbox series x. I want one just so I can play F1 with Ray tracing.

sixrings

iKhan

the8thark wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@FragRed Now that Microsoft has shown their true intentions (no Series X games that aren't playable on XB1 for at least a year)

In my opinion that's a seriously bad mistake from Microsoft. Console launches always do better with a good exclusive. MS really need the XB1X crowd to be wanting to upgrade to a new Xbox. They now don't have any incentive to do so for at least a year.

I think they need to learn from Nintendo. Apart from BotW, the first year was mostly Switch only games. Year 2 and 3 had the ports. However they are not cross generational, they are enhanced versions with added content. After BotW was out, the WiiU was effectively abandoned by Nintendo. The correct move my Nintendo.

I feel Sony has the better method of dealing with with this for their PS5. Have exclusive games for the PS5 but also have (rumoured) native PS4 game support. Gives people a reason to move to the PS5 for the new games without feeling like they are tethered to keeping their PS4 hooked up as they will all play on the PS5.

The fact that most PS4 games in the first 2 years were either cross generational or just not good was a major reason I never ended up getting on that train. I just bought a PS3 and enjoyed its back catalog instead. The PS4 STARTED to have its own quality games in the middle of it's 2nd year, and the games that were more my style didn't start showing up until late 2016, a full 3 years in. By that point I just bought a Switch because it had Zelda.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Buizel

Although I quite like the PC-like model Microsoft is going with for the XBox moving forward, I do agree that lack of exclusives is a mistake. Sure, some people will buy it regardless - but the same could be said for any console. More than anything they want to compete with Sony - and this initial year is crucial if they're to avoid another XBO situation.

At least 2'8".

sixrings

I'd rather buy one version of the next cod then to have to buy a xbox one version and then later a xbox series x version. Same with F1 and all my other games I plan on purchasing. Previously you bought the current gen game like gta5 then a year later they released a better version and eventually you bought that as well. That's not consumer friendly.

sixrings

BruceCM

Except MS has more focus on other things, @Buizel .... I wasn't planning to get Series X on release, anyway & I'm never getting any Playstation, either

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

MuhBael

Im getting tired of waiting, Hopefully, the Direct happens this week

MuhBael

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic