Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

Posts 501 to 520 of 1,843

Reginald

Haru17 wrote:

If you want the mechanic-poor number garbage of traditional RPGs then why would you be posting in a Monster Hunter thread?

Isn't this being needlessly harsh?

Personally I'm glad that Capcom decided to try something different with Stories. It branches the series out to more people who otherwise wouldn't be interested in the core series, like myself. How is that a bad thing? I'd like it if Capcom could do a sequel to Stories, but that doesn't seem possible. At either rate, I'll still show my support for that.

But I digress. This is supposed to be about MHXX, not Stories. Staying on topic, I'm curious about something now. Was there this much demand for a localization when MHXX originally came out for 3DS? Or is it simply because that having MH on Switch makes it more of a novelty?

Edited on by Reginald

Reginald

Taya

I've been personally wishing for a console MH game since MH3U. MH4U and MHGen were great but I miss fighting big monsters on my big TV. The Switch not only lets me do that, but I can sneak in a quest or two or do grindy stuff when I'm away from home. I didn't really care about MHXX for the 3DS but I absolutely want it for the Switch.

Taya

Haru17

@Reginald It's definitely increased because the Switch version was announced in Japan, then World was announced not for Switch.

Anyway Stories isn't 'different' in actual terms, it's just another turn-based Pokemon clone. That's fine, but it's just a spinoff and probably won't get a sequel unless the western release blows up, which isn't likely. If your argument is that Stories should be the series' direction you should find a less ridiculous argument. Literally just go play Persona 5 if you want that kind of game, Monster Hunter proper is not going to tie itself into knots to be something else entirely.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Ralizah

Haru: If your argument is that Stories should be the series' direction you should find a less ridiculous argument.

In response to...

Reginald: Personally I'm glad that Capcom decided to try something different with Stories. It branches the series out to more people who otherwise wouldn't be interested in the core series, like myself.

It helps to actually read the post. Literally all he was saying is that diversifying the series is good as it expands its appeal to different demographics, all of which aren't necessarily interested in vanilla Monster Hunter.

Perfect example: my sister is interested in the world of Monster Hunter, but doesn't like the challenging combat and brutality of the hunting. A cutesy, turn-based spinoff where you bond with the monsters instead is perfect for her, and she's most likely purchasing it at launch. A successful example of diversification spreading the appeal of the Monster Hunter brand.

Also, from my experience with the game so far, calling it a "Pokemon clone" is being ridiculously closed-minded and ignorant. Aside from having turn-based combat and assembling monsters to fight for you, it's nothing like Pokemon. Might as well call the new Call of Duty a Wolfenstein clone because they both involve shooting Nazis in a first-person viewpoint.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haru17

@Ralizah Which of us isn't reading posts? Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I think Reginald's point was that they don't like or care about Monster Hunter games at all but is a fan of turn-based RPGs.

Reginald wrote:

Don't care. I'm not excited by XX, or World, or any main series MH game for that matter. Stories only appeals to me because it is closer to a traditional rpg, which I do enjoy.

You realize Pokemon clone is basically a genre, yes? I never said 'Pokemon clone' made something lesser, one of my favorite games is a Pokemon clone (the Tales of Symphonia one). I'm still going to call it what it is even if that's not all there is. And really, let's dial back on our presumption of knowledge about as-of-yet unreleased games. I even know there's all the open world and mounting and story stuff. Pokemon does that too, it's just worse.

Reginald

"Pokemon clone" is a valid genre. It is usually called a monster raising RPG, and there's plenty of them around. You could technically argue that Pokemon is a "Robotrek clone" since it wasn't the first game to introduce monster raising in RPGs.

At any rate. I never did say that Stories should be the direction that MH should go. I recognize that it is a spin-off. All I ever said was that it is not a bad thing for a series to branch off into spin-off games that appeal to different people. Ralizah got my point. Secondly, I do not appreciate having words put into my mouth.

Edited on by Reginald

Reginald

CrazedCavalier

@Reginald Ignore him. He's stuck up and impossible to argue with.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

Arcamenel

Brave Style charge blade is everything I've ever wanted and I didn't know I wanted it.

Derrick
3DS FC: 1693 - 1069 - 1732

JaxonH

MHXX is definitely the best looking Monster Hunter game ever released on console.

It's a noticeable step up from MH3U, which was already a small step up from MHP3rd (mainly the texture quality). This game though... it is comparable to MH3U but, the textures look a little better, the assets look better, the background like mountains and lakes and aurora, even just the geometry looks way better....

And when playing on the handheld screen it's absolute bliss. Having it condensed into a smaller, HD handheld screen is too awesome.

I really do love how it looks. Last time I had something anywhere close to this was 4 years ago with MH3U. Even with World, I love the classic HD look. It doesn't seem inferior... just different. Like an arcadey approach.

Just lost to Valphalk... again. Can't seem to beat him in the time allotted.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haru17

Untitled

Untitled

Joeynator3000

....You're comparing D. Island to a map that's from the very first game...-.-
Verdant Hills is literally THE worst map out there.

Edited on by Joeynator3000

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Haru17

Look at Rathalos.

Joeynator3000

So? The XX screen is still a very horrid example.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Spoony_Tech

@JaxonH I had Valphalk on the ropes the only time I fought it but I carted twice. Flashing works extremely well and it stays blind longer then any other monster I've ever fought.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Haru17

@Joeynator3000 It's a screenshot from their TV commercial. Regardless of whatever's going on with the lighting, you can clearly see less detail in Rathalos' scales and talons when compared to the uprezed Wii game. I've never really cared about frame rate or resolution, but it would be nice if the first 8th gen console release used the good models and not the 3DS ones for monsters they've already done the work for in Tri.

meleebrawler

@JaxonH He is very good at keeping you out of arm's reach, and has a move for just about any angle you approach him from. However, some of them are dependent on the position of his wings; he can only do his turnaround slam with the thrusters pointing backwards, and most of his deadliest forward-facing moves come when they're pointed, well, forwards. One of the more annoying ones, the "recoil blast" actually has a preset sequence afterwards: he'll always try to stab you, then shoot you. When using his dash attack, he'll also rarely attempt a second if you caught up with him after the first.

I can beat it comfortably with Brave Gunlance, though I've also done it with Brave Charge Blade and just barely with Brave Great Sword.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

zionich

I have not been able to beat the Valphalk either and doubt I will cause enough damage with SnS but I shall continue to try.

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

JaxonH

Hmm, looking back it does actually seem the monster textures may have been a little better in MH3U (funny how the mind's eye works), but even so it's a negligible difference, and everything else looks considerably worse- effects and particles, ground textures, backgrounds, asset geometry (monsters/hunters aside obviously).

MHXX is just an all around better looking game. I think the biggest detractor to MH3U were the ground textures and backgrounds... not to say MHXX nails it out of the park or anything- it is a 3DS port after all, but all those things add up to make it seem less dated.

For example

MH3U
Untitled

MHXX
Untitled

Then again... that Diablos looks pretty freakin good.

@meleebrawler
I'm getting better at him. He's fun though. Been fighting Barioth too. Love this demo, it's easy and quick and unlimited hunts on Switch! At the bare minimum, fans can play this demo for years to come. Me? I've got my save locked and loaded on MHXX for 3DS, ready to transfer

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

CrazedCavalier

Damn it... I dreamed that this got localized. Why?!

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

Spoony_Tech

@CrazedCavalier Premonition?? Maybe you have powers we yet don't understand? Fingers crossed for that.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic