Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 821 to 840 of 1,982

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@GrailUK The motion controls in Skyward Sword were one of the very few redeeming features of the game. Though the infinite Wii remote recalibration got very annoying, fast. It looked nice too but after that I struggle to find a positive thing to say about it.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Haru17

Besides Mario Kart, 'The Zelda cycle' is a meme, it doesn't explain different games or how people enjoy them. Skyward Sword's problem was that it's dungeon-ish overworld was so slow to get through, making the whole game the same thing without any external towns or real overworld areas besides the empty sky that felt unfinished. And that it's story was the exact same tropey damsel junk that Ocarina of Time subverted in 1998 and which Breath of the Wild retreaded yet again this year.

But that's besides the point, pointing out other things Edge gave a 10/10 to is only to prove the arbitrary nature of a large number score and dispel whatever myth of prestige they have for giving less high scores. Odyssey looks like it will be great, it probably will be given that there is no expectation of story or nuanced level design as there is in Zelda.

Edited on by Haru17

Capcom Nintendo Life Community Manager

Contents are ???% sarcastic in nature.

Octane

Yeah, the only Zelda cycle that exists is the one from Mario Kart. I mean, I haven't changed my opinion on a Zelda game before, certainly not to the extent that I love a game one year, and hate it the other.

Anyway, I've avoided almost anything SMO related since E3, because I don't want to spoil myself. However, I have a few questions. I've heard there is amiibo support in the game, and I've also heard it's optional cosmetics that you can also get by playing the game, is that true? And there's no season pass shenanigans, right?

Octane

Snaplocket

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Congratulations, for completely missing the point of my posts. The game clearly has a ton of positives.

@Haru17 I'm almost 100% certain those thoughts are just your opinion and nowhere near the general consensus. The dungeon and town designs seem pretty great from what I've seen.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Snaplocket

Anti-Matter

@SLIGEACH_EIRE
Okay.
You said the vehicle was awful.
The Joy Cons are terrible.
Switch is still lack of 3rd party.
HAHAHAHAHA..... !!!
Really ?!

Anti-Matter

SMEXIZELDAMAN

The one fatal flaw of Skyward Sword was Tingle was not in it

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

YummyHappyPills

@Octane No DLC announced and any amiibo costumes are unlockable in game according to the official site. All amiibo do is give hints and the 3 wedsing amiibo give you small buffs.

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

Anti-Matter

@BLP_Software
So, Mario will temporarily dressed in Wedding gown if I scan Wedding Princess Peach Amiibo ?

Anti-Matter

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@Octane I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a Season Pass for SMO but it could be announced a month or maybe few months after release. It's a big money making opportunity for Nintendo, one I don't think they'll turn down. A lot of their big games have DLC or Season Passes now. And Mario's their main man. The thing is, remember when Ubisoft announced the SP for Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle before the game had even come out? That did not go down well, to say the least.

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

NaviAndMii

JaxonH wrote:

Skyward Sword was an amazing game. So was Breath of the Wild. 9/10... 10/10... what does it matter. The games are both incredible. And it's not me, and not just one review site... that thinks so. Considering Zelda BotW got more perfect scores then any other game in history, there comes a point where you have to face the facts that you are the outlier. That the majority of people love it and they are not "biased" or "adding points".

Odyssey is going to be epic. And no, not just because Edge said so, but Edge saying so is certainly evidence of the fact. They've only given 20 perfect scores in 21 years. And their scores have never really been different than the vast majority of other reviewers. So ya.

Another return to greatness with Zelda Mario combo of two perfect 10/10 games. We saw it with Zelda Link to the Past and Super Mario World. We saw it with Zelda Ocarina of Time and Mario 64. But never in the same year. Wow... what a time to be a Nintendo gamer.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I pretty much entirely agree - it's just EDGE that I have a problem with! ..since they published the worst 'top 100 of all time' list I've ever seen, I just can't accept using their 'opinion' as evidence of anything! Top 100's are subjective, of course - IGN didn't have a single Mario Kart game in theirs IIRC, which is kind of sacrilegious if you ask me, but on the whole their list wasn't too bad...such lists can act as something of a barometer for how well-rounded an outlets opinions are though - and EDGE's list (and, more importantly, their justification for it) was just utter trash as far as I'm concerned! If that's how they view the entire history of gaming, I don't any time for their opinions on individual games

That being said, all of the footage, hands on impressions, live demonstrations etc that I've seen all seem to point to Odyssey being pretty special - looks a whooooole lot of fun to me...so, unless Nintendo have been showing off parts of the game that aren't truly representative of the final product - which is highly unlikely - I think that there's little doubt that we're in for a real treat!

...and yeah, just to add my 2c to the whole Skyward Sword debate - I absolutely loved that game too! I've never fully understood what people didn't like about it to be honest - it was different, but at the same time still 'classic' Zelda - the motion controls (thanks to Motion Plus) felt really, really tight and responsive...and I loved Fi almost as much as Navi! To me, it was a great Zelda with a great storyline, great visuals, great controls, great puzzles, great characters, great mechanics - great everything! ..probably my third favourite Zelda game all in all - just behind OoT and BotW - which is a very, very healthy place to be!

...and to have a top Zelda title and an epic-looking Mario in the same year is just - as you say - WOW! ..there's no better way of putting it!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 SNES 🎮 N64 🎮 GB 🎮 GG 🎮 PC 🎮 PS2 🎮 GC 🎮 PSP 🎮 Wii 🎮 X360 🎮 PS4 🎮 MDC 🎮 Switch 🎮

Currently Playing (Online):

PS4: GT Sport (DR: D, SR: S)

Switch: Mario Kart 8 DX (R: 8500, B: 2000) | Splatoon 2 (Lvl: 46, RM: A-, SZ: B+, TC: A)

Switch Nickname: TomCat★

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii

Operative2-0

Hopefully any DLC worlds are a ways off, I'd rather not 100% the game and then find out there's a new kingdom coming soon after.

Operative2-0

Octane

Mario DLC feels weird to me...

I can't be the only one, right?

Octane

Spoony_Tech

No more then Zelda dlc. We got it for Kart 8 so everything is fair game.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

Mario DLC was the first Nintendo DLC, remember New Super Mario Bros. 2? But honestly, I think BotW expansion pass was where "everything is fair game" seemed to be the case.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Operative2-0

Pretty much, yeah. I both like it and dislike it for various reasons, but in the end if it means more content, it can't be too bad. I'm sure I'll buy anything they offer up anyhow

Operative2-0

Haru17

I'm all for this and the Zelda DLC if they're quality expansions like Bethesda can make. It is a bit nebulous with the Champions' Ballad DLC basically selling an ending, but I think that's more due to the obvious production troubles in making the base game.

I want the same thing out of a Mario DLC expansion that I do out of a Monster Hunter one (another series that's never gotten important new content in DLC): a new map/world with new enemies and map-based features like capturing to move across power lines. I'd easily pay $20 for another New Donk City.

Capcom Nintendo Life Community Manager

Contents are ???% sarcastic in nature.

YummyHappyPills

@Haru17 I thought Champions Ballad was set in the past, you know...before the ending.

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic