Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 821 to 840 of 2,136

Octane

@Ryu_Niiyama Yeah, Sunshine's water effects blew my mind fifteen years ago. It still looks good to this day. It's quite impressive what they managed to do with the GameCube's hardware.

Untitled

Octane

Samus7Killer

Too Much Water Talky
This gonna be my GOTY 2017 for sure most likely. #NoMyZeldaBreathofTheMild!

Samus7Killer

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@Octane I agree. The water looked great. Sure it's aged a little, but at the time it looked fantastic. That's always going to be the way as technology improves. That the old doesn't look quite as good as the new. Back then, playing it, I couldn't imagine it looking any better.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Ralizah

Haru17 wrote:

Ocarina of Time/Super Mario 64 still looks good

Sorry, but no, they're HIDEOUSLY ugly games. That's true for most games from that gen, but there's a clear progression from something like Super Mario 64 to something like Conker's Bad Fur Day, where the character models are still excessively polygonal but don't quite look like ripped bits of construction paper brought to life.

Also, RE: Hyrule Field in OoT, I'm not saying the existence of such a large, proportional 3D environment wasn't impressive at the time, but compared to the "hallways and interiors" of other games you mentioned, it feels very boring and lifeless. Same with what I played of TP, actually. BotW's environments are stunning and continually engaging, though, which is a first for the series (as well they should be, considering 90% of that game is spent tromping around the forests and mountains of Hyrule).

I agree that Odyssey's lack of detailed grass textures don't matter too much. Platformers are about kinetic action, movement, and environmental interaction, and Odyssey looks to excel with regard to these things. Anybody who is zooming in on flat grass textures in a Mario game is missing the point.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Kimyonaakuma

Even though it's not really a main focus of any game that I've played the water levels are usually my favourite, at least in 3D games (Classic Sonic scarred my young mind )

When I was younger I always remember loving the various water environments from my childhood Wii games. Beach Bowl Galaxy from SMG was to me the best thing ever! I used to always go back that level and just swim around with shells and try and climb the waterfall. The bonus star with ice mario pretty much blew my mind when I was 8 or 9

The Ryoshima Coast section from Okami also has some really interesting water sections as well (they had a whole palace underwater!). Skyward Sword's sand sea and flooded Faron Woods also stand out to me.

Anyway I've gone on some weird watery swim through memory lane, what I really mean to say is that I'm very excited to spend too much time in the Seaside Kingdom and I'm sure I'll enjoy the other water areas that haven't been officially announced

Edited on by Kimyonaakuma

Kimyonaakuma

Grumblevolcano

@Octane Yeah, F-Zero GX especially comes to mind regarding how impressive GC games looked.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

REmake was insanely good looking on the Gamecube. Those high-quality pre-rendered backgrounds were delicious.

Ralizah

Scrummer

Samus7Killer wrote:

Too Much Water Talky
This gonna be my GOTY 2017 for sure most likely. #NoMyZeldaBreathofTheMild!

Can we all stop and appreciate the wonderful wordplay that is Zelda Breath of The Mild? Ok, you may continue.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

Dezzy

Wind Waker has the coolest water.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Haru17

No way man, Wind Waker water was opaque. Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild have way nicer, clear water. Because water isn't actually blue, that's just it reflecting the sky — it's a transparent substance when viewed from a high angle.

The Wind Waker's water can be boiled down to;

• Two wave meshes
  • Splash effects
  • Waterfalls

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Knuckles-Fajita

Guys. The best water is outside. In real life.

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

49/50 followers - Sep 2

Haru17

Disagree, I've seen IRL water. I want to see new water. Big water. Video game ocean water. The slight differences from real life are what set it apart and make it interesting. I'd much rather that than garish or cartoonish caricatures that lose the essence of water.

By the way, Super Mario Odyssey has very nice water that you can actually dive down into, it'll probably have the best underwater gameplay since Inside.

Untitled

Octane

@Haru17 No, it's actually blue. Water absorbs and emits all kinds of wavelengths, but peaks at blue. It just appears transparent in low quantities, and its colour is strengthened by the reflection of the [blue] sky. Just like how glass is often green or blue, but appears colourless if it's thin enough. Notice how the edges reveal it's ''true colour'', because light needs to travel further through the glass from one end to the other, and more light gets absorbed along the way:

Untitled

Wind Waker's choice of a flat blue plain was obviously a stylistic choice, and I doubt that realistic water would've looked as good. And since you can't swim anyway, there's no point in showed what's beneath the surface.

Octane

Haru17

Octane wrote:

And since you can't swim anyway, there's no point in showed what's beneath the surface.

And that limited ambition is why TWW water has been surpassed.

Untitled

Untitled

Look how nice Super Mario Galaxy's water looked with that fade effect on the translucent blue of the water's surface near Mario. Granted this is running in Dolphin, but The Wind Waker HD also happened.

Edited on by Haru17

Octane

@Haru17 It's not surpassed, it's a different art style. One isn't objectively better than the other.

Octane

Haru17

@Octane I think it's much more beautiful to have dynamic water graphics than static ones. Galaxy, etc water is objectively cooler in that it handles looking down into the water, diving beneath and swimming around, and looking up through the water's surface as well as sailing.

But anyway, let's stop talking about The Wind Waker, it's not that interesting of a Zelda game.

What do you guys think the boo house kingdom will be? Will it make any Luigi's Mansion references like the water kingdom's SM Sunshine rocket nozzle flower? It would be cool if we played as Luigi for that world, even if he wasn't fully customizable.

Edited on by Haru17

Ralizah

The Wind Waker's water is perfect considering the art style and gameplay. Realistic water would have looked out of place.

Ralizah

Octane

@Haru17 Spoiler tags would be appreciated for that last paragraph! Or else I have to avoid this thread entirely.

Octane

Haru17

Untitled

Hey look I found better, transparent water in a cel shaded game where you can't swim underwater.

@Octane I am just assuming there will be a boo house level because it's a Mario game, I don't have and special knowledge that there is one and wouldn't post it without spoiler tags if I did. The other thing was shown in the Nintendo Direct, do I have to use tags for that too?

Edited on by Haru17

Octane

@Haru17 It's fine in that case. I have no idea what's been revealed so far.

Ōkami isn't cel shaded though.

And the water looks a bit out of place in some areas. The thick outlines of the environment are in stark contrast with the clear transparent water.

Edit: That image didn't reveal too much... Didn't know that power-up was in the game though, but it's fine I think.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic