Forums

Topic: How would the PS4.5 and XB1.5 change the prospects of NX success?

Posts 101 to 120 of 217

GrailUK

iKhan wrote:

The entire point of business is to make money by kowtowing to your consumer's interests.

Oh I agree but if the NX is to be a rip roaring success, their target market ain't the 12 mil that bought a Wii U buddy I like to think Nintendo have the guts to bite in to Sony and Microsoft's market share, but I think they will more likely chase a new blue ocean of customers with a new concept and this time not make the mistake of excluding the hardcore. I can't see why Wii U bc would be on the agenda for this. Infact, they should add more distance from it so as not to confuse consumers.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

DefHalan

GrailUK wrote:

iKhan wrote:

The entire point of business is to make money by kowtowing to your consumer's interests.

Oh I agree but if the NX is to be a rip roaring success, their target market ain't the 12 mil that bought a Wii U buddy I like to think Nintendo have the guts to bite in to Sony and Microsoft's market share, but I think they will more likely chase a new blue ocean of customers with a new concept and this time not make the mistake of excluding the hardcore. I can't see why Wii U bc would be on the agenda for this. Infact, they should add more distance from it so as not to confuse consumers.

To lead this discussion back towards PS4.5 and XB1.5 kinda, wouldn't Wii U BC be a good way for Nintendo to offer a "large" library of games for their new system? The PS4.5 and XB1.5 will have the current PS4 and XB1 games in their library (a library that has gotten even bigger thanks to XB1 having BC) and if the NX is starting out fresh that will be a lot of ground to make up. However, by including BC Nintendo is able to have a large library at launch, not rely on last gen ports/remakes as much, offering more new games. Having BC and expanding the eShop further will also showcase Nintendo moving towards a more unified account system as even games you bought in 2012 are still playable on their new system. BC would also give Nintendo a large library to be able to discount often without affecting their current gen games as much. I could see Splatoon or Mario Kart 8 being 50% off in the eShop for all NX owners, or something like that.

I just see more possible positives for BC than negatives. The biggest negative I have seen is a possible increase in system cost, which probably wouldn't be that much honestly and they could probably supplement it with the money they could continue to make off of Wii U eShop games. The hardest thing about implementing BC for the NX would be GamePad usage. Do they sell the GamePad separately or let you use your 3DS or Smart Device as a GamePad screen?

EDIT: Sorry, Kinda went on a tangent there. Sorry. I don't expect people to actually read that. lol.

tl:dr, I think BC could benefit non-Wii U owners more than Wii U owners. As others have said, Wii U owners have the option to keep their system. (although I don't have the space to do that lol)

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Luna_110

I'd prefer that there isn't BC in the NX. Both the Wii and Wii U had it, and it never was a big selling point, specially for Wii U.
I would be Happy if they move away from the Wii brand and begin anew, some big "remasters" could come down the line, but hopefully they'll focus on new games.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

GrailUK

@DefHalan: Some good points Def my man but I am afraid I think non Wii U owners couldn't care less about bc unless there was a serious drought of NX titles...and we all know what happens in that scenario.

DefHalan

@GrailUK: All of this really comes down to a lot of different possible scenarios, but I think having BC is a bigger plus without a lot of negatives.

GrailUK

@DefHalan: Idd. We don't know if the NX is so different from the Wii U that it is simply not feasible or economically viable to have bc. We can't have the most powerful system, at 4k, that plays everything including the kitchen sink and is still $50 cheaper than ps4! Something has to give and give all the options and how the Wii U did not capture many imaginations, I would venture that would be the first for the chop. Like I said, we still have our Wii U's...let the have nots beg for Nintendo to release games like we do hahahah

DefHalan

@GrailUK: I am not asking for all of that. But if they come out with a System that is as powerful as the XB1.5 or PS4.5 and has Backwards Compatibility, and is only $50 more. Then I would pick that over the others. I think XB1 and PS4 owners would also think about getting that system over upgrading the systems they already have or getting the other system. That extra $50 won't mean much when they can go back and play several Hit Wii U games at a discounted price. Possibly discounted to match Current Virtual Console prices. (Wii games are $20, maybe Wii U games (or at least the Nintendo Wii U games, minus 2016 games) could be priced at $25)

I think that is something that would make BC worth it for a lot of people and justify a slightly higher price than the other systems which still delivering power and new software. but this is all speculation.

GrailUK

@DefHalan: I know you would buy one. Heck, count me in as well. I would love bc...It would be better to have it than not...but it isn't me they are trying to persuade to buy an NX. Would missus Jones spend 50 quid more on a console that does the same as the others? Again, Nintendo have already sold us, the fans, an NX. There are 12 million if us, and that is considered a commercial failure. So commercially, they don't want to be the most expensive console if they can help it because they need to find another 18 million sales from somewhere...and that isn't gonna come from the promise of bc. (But it would be nice of course!)

DefHalan

@GrailUK: I don't know if Nintendo can not be the most expensive console if they are offering a system with comparable power to the PS4/XB1. Sony and Microsoft have other ways to help alleviate the expenses of console manufacturing where Nintendo currently doesn't. Microsoft and Sony can rely on subscriptions, other departments in their company, and other things to help with the cost of their manufacturing. Nintendo doesn't have the same pull. If they are shooting for that kinda of power, then they need something to justify their higher price and using the eShop's strengths and the strength of Nintendo software, they could alleviate the cost with offering discounts on Wii U digital software to NX owners. Again, all speculation.

GrailUK

@DefHalan: Ye mayhaps your right

DefHalan

@GrailUK: and maybe you are right lol. Who knows... lol

GrailUK

@DefHalan: May the best Monkey / Fox win !

DefHalan

@GrailUK: ANDROSS!!!!!!

GrailUK

@DefHalan: Lol!

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

@Bolt_Strike:
I wasn't talking about what'd make sense for Nintendo financially, I was talking about your response.

Wii U BC matters to you because you skipped the Wii U. But you said how much of the library made it didn't matter because there were only a few good games. Surely if there are only a few games you'd want as many of those few to be playable on NX!

I personally couldn't care less about Wii U BC. I have a Wii U, I've played a lot of its games. I also don't think BC will be very extensive if it exists at all. But for the people who skipped it? I'd have thought BC was a huge deal. Especially for those who only want a few specific titles....

I'm not worried about those games being ported. They're some of the highest sellers on the Wii U and the most likely to get ported.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

DefHalan

Bolt_Strike wrote:

skywake wrote:

I wasn't talking about what'd make sense for Nintendo financially, I was talking about your response.

Wii U BC matters to you because you skipped the Wii U. But you said how much of the library made it didn't matter because there were only a few good games. Surely if there are only a few games you'd want as many of those few to be playable on NX!

I personally couldn't care less about Wii U BC. I have a Wii U, I've played a lot of its games. I also don't think BC will be very extensive if it exists at all. But for the people who skipped it? I'd have thought BC was a huge deal. Especially for those who only want a few specific titles....

I'm not worried about those games being ported. They're some of the highest sellers on the Wii U and the most likely to get ported.

I do agree with that, if the Wii U has software based BC then the top sellers would be highest priority. Indies games would probably be left optional for the developer.

WebHead

I'll say it before and i'll say it again: I think its unlikely. Nintendo is likely switching to ARM or x86. If NX has it great. But if it gets in the way of game development, Nintendo has to do what's best for business.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

IceClimbers

I don't care what your opinion on the quality of the Wii U's library is, and it's frankly irrelevant. The fact is, the Wii U's library is too small quantity wise for hardware BC to be worth it.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

WebHead

@IceClimbers: this.

I have a feeling you will have to pay and download to be able to play Wii U games on its successor. NX or not.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

skywake

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Games with bigger sales will obviously be a priority so sure. But there are also technical hurdles that could get in the way. For example they might not have a GamePad equivalent so games that leant on the GamePad might not work. Like Splatoon and Super Mario Maker. They might have issues getting some of the more visually intense games to run smoothly so Pikmin and Xenoblade might not make it.

Also, your list of games were some of the best sellers. But they aren't the best sellers on the Wii U. If they put BC through based just on sales and the ease of doing it? Effort vs return? Unless they put a lot of effort into it I'm not sure games like Captain Toad, Bayonetta and Xenoblade would make it on the list. On the other hand full hardware BC would bring all of them over.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.