Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, X-2 and XII - Now with 80% more FF VIII

Posts 821 to 840 of 1,768

Anti-Matter

@darkfenrir
Depend on the enemies or bosses and your party's job.
Recommended Gambit set up by general :
White Mage
Ally : HP > 50% = Cure / Cura, > 30% = Curaga / Curaja
Ally : Any status ailments = Remedy / Esuna / specific items to cure them
Foe : Nearby = Attack
Ally / Self = Protect / Shell / Regen

Black Mage
Foe : Elemental weakness = Elemental Magic spells opposite with enemies (Fire against Water and vice versa, Thunder against Ice and vice versa, etc)
For example : Foe : Fire weakness = Water

Well there are so many Gambit set up. Like Math model. You link the action with command and make the result.
I cannot put so many examples since it will take a lot of spaces here. Happy customizing your Gambit set up.

Anti-Matter

darkfenrir

@Anti-Matter I probably will go with Foebreaker/Shikari, White Mage/Machinist, and Black Mage/Monk. Just need the last part member for that last party member

Thanks for that recommendation though

darkfenrir

Dezzy

All: If Losing -> Git Gud

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Tyranexx

Well folks, they finally announced what many thought impossible: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered is hitting all current video game platforms at some point this year.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Anti-Matter

Let's rename this thread by adding FF VIII within.

Anti-Matter

Tyranexx

This makes your job easier when you'll inevitably have to lock necro'd threads down the line.

Edit: Insert amused snort at edited topic title

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

komodo182

I wish this was divided per final fantasy game instead of a mix of whatever final fantasy people are talking about. Sometimes (if you haven't played them all) you don't know which game users are talking about.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

mack73

Thank you, thank you, thank you Square for doing FF8

FF7 remake and now FF8.... probably the best video game day of my life

mack73

Magician

So Dotemu is handling the Final Fantasy VIII remaster.

That's good news, Dotemu does good work.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BougieBeetle

I had heard from someone that the original assets from VIII were thought to be lost, but apparently that wasn't the case or they obtained them some other way, so this remaster came as a welcome surprise! I've had a weird relationship with VIII over the years and it never quite gelled with me, but maybe this remake will finally win me over.

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

Magician

BougieBeetle wrote:

I had heard from someone that the original assets from VIII were thought to be lost, but apparently that wasn't the case or they obtained them some other way, so this remaster came as a welcome surprise! I've had a weird relationship with VIII over the years and it never quite gelled with me, but maybe this remake will finally win me over.

That was the rumor, Square Enix losing the source code for FFVIII.

If that was the case then I assume someone has reverse engineered the PSP/PS3 code.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

TuVictus

This is probably a dumb question to the more development saavy people here, but I'm curious and would like to learn something. What does it mean to lose the source code? In the sense that, can't they look at any disc copy or FFVIII and somehow extract it? Like datamining but for their own game, or is it something that becomes inaccessible once a game has been sent to be copied. I'm extremely ignorant of game development in general

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Eel

The copy of the game in the disc is a compiled version, a read only format that only the machine is meant to understand.

The source code has all the human-readable code and easy access to assets and stuff.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

PikPi wrote:

This is probably a dumb question to the more development saavy people here, but I'm curious and would like to learn something. What does it mean to lose the source code? In the sense that, can't they look at any disc copy or FFVIII and somehow extract it? Like datamining but for their own game, or is it something that becomes inaccessible once a game has been sent to be copied. I'm extremely ignorant of game development in general

The source code is the thing that humans write (and can read). It's then compiled into machine code (1s and 0s) which is what the computer reads.

You can recover it to some extent in some cases, but it's not a perfectly reversible process, meaning it would be incredibly difficult to do and they'd have a massive mess to clean up before they had anything readable. Think of it a bit like baking a cake and then trying to find out by tasting the cake exactly how many eggs and how much sugar was in it.

Ripping the actual art assets from a compiled game is different than reconstructing source code. That's far more achievable, and if they lost them years ago, it's entirely possible they ripped them off the original disc (or original PC version) for this remaster.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Anti-Matter

@Magician
So that's mean FF VIII remaster will have physical release ?? 😀

Anti-Matter

Magician

Anti-Matter wrote:

@Magician
So that's mean FF VIII remaster will have physical release ?? 😀

I doubt it.

TuVictus

@Morpheel @Dezzy Ahhh okay, I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up, I always wondered about it

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic