Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest X and XI

Posts 61 to 80 of 97

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Long RPGs suck. Too much grind not enough game. And not enough time to play them. I'd love to play Dragon Quest but don't want to fork over my money + a lot of my time to play it. Make RPGs shorter! >:0 20 hrs would be perfect

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

Krull

@Reginald Yes, it has been confirmed - but not which platforms. I think it's safe to assume DQXI will come west on all three systems, but nobody has definitively said that the PS4, 3DS and Switch versions will come.

What about DQX, though? I'm pretty sure that was listed among the promised titles when the Switch launched.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589

Tyranexx

@SMEXIZELDAMAN: 20-30 hours is my sweet spot. I don't mind if they're a little longer on occasion, but I'm less likely to pick up longer RPGs overall. That said, I still need to tackle XCX, which will probably happen this winter....

I did pick up DQV this past spring from a sale Square Enix's online store was running. Haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Video Corner: Welcome Back to Termina
Currently playing: Yo-kai Watch, Wario Land: Shake It!

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

ReeLongbow

@SMEXIZELDAMAN Long RPGS suck? Thats insane, i love nothing more far as games than a long RPG with God mode gear i can farm for. I really want Dragon Quest over here other than just on 1)3DS 2)generic DQ games such as builders and heros. No one wants those, we want the real deal, cmon Japan.

Gaming since the 80s

My Nintendo: ReeLongbow

tobibra

Will X be playable outside of Japan or do that game still require a Japanese IP adress or internet or something? Have heard earlier versions would still be unplayable outside of Japan because of something like that even if you have the system to play it.

tobibra

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355

Reginald

ReeLongbow wrote:

No one wants those

Speak for yourself, please. Plenty of people are looking forward to Builders 2. And there's nothing wrong with having main series DQ games on 3DS.

I do think it's likely that we will be seeing the Switch version in the west. That might be why they haven't announced any platforms yet.

Reginald

kkslider5552000

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Make RPGs shorter! >:0 20 hrs would be perfect

I 100% agree with this. Especially based on playing Lost Odyssey lately. It is basically a 20 hour JRPG but longer because so many things in that game take FOREVER. The cutscenes last FOREVER (well some of them), the battles take FOREVER, doing everything in town takes FOREVER. And it's all good, but it takes so long to do anything.

And I love Xenoblade but the absolute worst idea is for nearly any other JRPG to be as long as Xenoblade.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

MegaTen

@kkslider5552000 When I first started out playing JRPGs in the mid-90s, I wasn't really good at them and sometimes found them confusing. So I spend more time on them than necessary. Even then I cannot remember spending more than a hundred hours on a game. 80+ hours at the absolute most. Cutscenes could be very long and were often completely unskippable, but even then... Much of the time spend was on grinding your characters to a point that the rest of the game would become almost a "walk in the park". Side quests weren't even a thing, and if there were any, they would be extremely rare.

Back in the days action games had a extremely high difficulty level because of the lack of content, and probably because of the storage medium (cartridge). Home video games were based on the "Arcade way-of-playing", so developers had to give players a way of wanting to spend a lot of time on their game by making it difficult and justify the game's price tag.

Now we have pretty easy games that are waaaaay too long, often filled with questionable content, as a way to compensate for a lack of genuine challenge and/or meaningful content. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, while being a very good title, is guilty of this too; it doesn't really reward the player completing quests, finding Korok Seeds, or completing shrines. The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt on the other hand, has tons of interesting side quests which often reveal a lot of information about the lore, it's world, and characters. That was much more satisfactory to play on my PC...

Don't get me wrong I like the latest The Legend of Zelda-title, but when you look at all the collectibles scattered all over this HUGE open-world, the ways of attainment, and the lack of meaningful content outside of the main quest, I cannot escape this feeling of wanting to return to my favorite title in the series: A Link to the Past. A much, much more restrictive and smaller-sized game, but so much more satisfactory. That was a game you could know inside-out without spending too many hours on it.

I do hope that Dragon Quest XI has some interesting side quests. Same goes for Xenoblade 2.

Edited on by MegaTen

Done with gaming. Farewell people!

ReeLongbow

@Reginald Square just throws us garbage like DQ heros and DQ builders to distract people from not getting the real DQ games. For some reason they've been this way right after 8.

Gaming since the 80s

My Nintendo: ReeLongbow

kkslider5552000

ReeLongbow wrote:

Square just throws us garbage like DQ heros and DQ builders to distract people

This is already the dumbest thing ever and I hope you don't actually think this.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

Octane

I don't mind long games, but I don't have the time to play several of them a year.

What's worse are unnecessarily long tutorials, walls of text and the likes. Some RPGs literally take dozens of hours to even unlock the basic stuff. I also wish the game had voice acting. It looks off without any sound leaving their mouths when they talk, and it also means you'll be spending a lot of time reading through dialogues and cutscenes.

Octane

kkslider5552000

Octane wrote:

It looks off without any sound leaving their mouths when they talk, and it also means you'll be spending a lot of time reading through dialogues and cutscenes.

I disagree, on the basis that games that are horribly inconsistent with voice acting are MUCH MUCH more annoying.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

Peek-a-boo

ReeLongbow wrote:

Square-Enix just throws us garbage like DQ Heroes and DQ Builders to distract people from not getting the real DQ games. For some reason they've been this way right after 8.

Both Dragon Quest Builders and Heroes are legitimately good games. The only garbage we’re seeing is your opinions of them!

I also get the distinctive impression that you have never played those games. If not, why don’t you go ahead and try them out?

Peek-a-boo

Reginald

Octane wrote:

What's worse are unnecessarily long tutorials, walls of text and the likes. Some RPGs literally take dozens of hours to even unlock the basic stuff.

This is exactly the problem that VII/7 has. The game's prologue, which features no battles whatsoever, takes about 3 or so hours before you finally reach the next island. It takes an average of 20 hours before you unlock vocations.

It's really ridiculous. Despite my icon being from DQ7, it's not a very enjoyable game because of how sluggish it is. Definitely doesn't have very good replay value.

Reginald

ReeLongbow

@kkslider5552000 Ok Dude, Go ahead and play your second rate DQ games and be blind, while us real DQ fans are upset we don't get the same treatment and releases as Japan and the REAL DQ games. Have fun with your fake kiddy version.

Gaming since the 80s

My Nintendo: ReeLongbow

ReeLongbow

Why is no one else here upset that Square never brought over DQX online and now DQ11 is pushed back till next year, and all the old releases are only on DS? And all they give us is throwing a bone to the casual crowd (dragon quest heros and builders). Guess i am the only real fan that cares, enjoy your little game.

Gaming since the 80s

My Nintendo: ReeLongbow

ReeLongbow

@Reginald 7 is one of the best games OF ALL TIME.

Gaming since the 80s

My Nintendo: ReeLongbow

Tyranexx

Octane wrote:

I don't mind long games, but I don't have the time to play several of them a year.

Precisely my problem.

Octane wrote:

What's worse are unnecessarily long tutorials, walls of text and the likes. Some RPGs literally take dozens of hours to even unlock the basic stuff.

While really good story/plot elements are welcome in my book, dragging everything out for the sake of length itself is just frustrating. Many of the RPGs I've played could have been shortened in some way.

Octane wrote:

I also wish the game had voice acting. It looks off without any sound leaving their mouths when they talk, and it also means you'll be spending a lot of time reading through dialogues and cutscenes.

This is where I disagree to an extent. I'm not against voice acting since I feel that it enhances the immersion in some cases, but sometimes I feel that it's better to read the game's text in the mental voice of how you think that character should sound. I don't mind if that's guided now and again, like with how later games in the Zelda series handle nonverbal voice noises.

Take my recent playthrough of Unwound Future. While not fully voice acted, the moments where it was done were, for the most part, great. Most characters sounded like I expected them too. The only exception was Flora's VA this time around. She sounded WAY different than what I expected, and I found the lack of a British accent bothersome.

Video Corner: Welcome Back to Termina
Currently playing: Yo-kai Watch, Wario Land: Shake It!

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Octane

@Tyranexx I get what you're saying (and maybe I'm spoiled by VA in modern games), but seeing the people talk without producing any sound just feels... off. As if it's missing something.

Leaving it up to your imagination works better for books I think. It's not as if you can imagine what the characters look like in a video game. That's already decided for you. Therefore I don't mind it if they give their characters a voice too.

They could always add in an option to turn off VA, everybody wins.

Octane

Snaplocket

There's really no good excuse for why XI has no voice acting in it. Even Breath of the Wild had voice acting which really added to the games story in my opinion.

The English version of Dragon Quest VIII and the Heroes games have full voice acting and they were fantastic.

Snaplocket

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic