Forums

Topic: Disgaea 5 Complete

Posts 141 to 160 of 161

Hallonblad

@antster1983 Thank you. This guide will be very helpful going forward, it seems. I'll try not to read too much and risk spoiling myself.

Switch friend code: SW-1684-7611-8315
Backlog: https://backloggery.com/Hallon
#supercasualgamer

Xyphon22

This may be impossible to answer, but I'm wondering if people think I will like this game based on my past likes. This is one I am interested in, and I see it is going to be $20 on Black Friday at Best Buy. Unfortunately, I don't actually have a Switch yet (I plan to get one soon, hopefully before the end of the year), so I can't try out the demo. I generally have not liked SRPGs that much, but most of my experience has been with Fire Emblem. I have not cared for any of the FE games I have tried. However, I do really like Stella Glow. Which of those games is this one more similar to? Thanks for any advice.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Xyphon22

It's definitely a good deal so I won't be out much money. The other problem is how many other games I will have to get, notably Zelda. Will I actually have time for this and Zelda (and Mario and whatever else I get)? Probably not. Decisions, decisions.

Xyphon22

jump

You haven't got a Switch then don't buy Switch games.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Xyphon22

@jump Normally I wouldn't. I haven't bought any yet. But $20 for a $60 game when I hope to get the system within a couple of weeks may be too good to pass up. Of all the games that are going to be on sale on Black Friday, this is the only one that I am thinking about getting.

Xyphon22

SKTTR

@Xyphon22 I paid 60 for Disgaea 5 Complete and thought it was worth it because of the massive content, endless replayability, deep strategy, and funny characters/story.
I would jump on it for 20!

It didn't totally hook me because I'm not so keen on turnbased games it seems (haven't beaten Mario+Rabbids either), but it's a great game to fall back to (especially on handheld) to beat another stage or to grind a bit.

I hope I get some more time with it after DOOM, L.A. Noire, Skyrim, Xenoblade 2 and the BotW DLC.

Other than that, you maybe should know that I love Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (didn't care for any other FE game) and I don't think Disgaea 5 Complete comes close to these two.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Xyphon22

@SKTTR Great, thanks for the reply. I know I've played Sacred Stones and the demo for Awakenings at least and didn't care for either of them. I do like turn-based games generally, so it sounds like there is at least a pretty good chance I will get at least $20 worth of enjoyment out of it. Especially if it works as a decent pick-up-and-play game when I want a break from BotW.

Xyphon22

SKTTR

@Xyphon22 The Sacred Stones didn't do much for me. And Awakening was even worse. I guess I was spoiled by playing the best two Fire Emblem games ever made. If it helps, I think Disgaea 5 Complete is much better than TSS and Awakening.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Xyphon22

Alright, I think I'll go ahead and take the plunge on this game (assuming I can find a copy of it, of course). And maybe if I get a Switch soon enough I will even have time to play the demo and just return it if I don't care for it.

Xyphon22

Swordsman83

Is it too complex for 1st time player ?

I heard from my friend It's more complex than fire emblem or final fantasy tactics ?

Currently Owned Switch Games: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Octopath Traveller.

JasmineDragon

@Swordsman83 It is a lot more complex than those games, but it doesn't start out like that. In the beginning you just have a few units with basic attacks, and new options are added after every battle. The real complexity comes when you start choosing how to upgrade your units and weapons, which characters to fight with and which ones to assign to research tasks, and managing your base. You end up with a LOT of different options.

As much as I like the game, it might not be the best SRPG to start out with. If you've played anything like FE or Mario+Rabbids and enjoyed those, I definitely recommend it. Otherwise, maybe try one of those and see if you like the genre before taking this one on?

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Swordsman83

JasmineDragon wrote:

@Swordsman83 It is a lot more complex than those games, but it doesn't start out like that. In the beginning you just have a few units with basic attacks, and new options are added after every battle. The real complexity comes when you start choosing how to upgrade your units and weapons, which characters to fight with and which ones to assign to research tasks, and managing your base. You end up with a LOT of different options.

As much as I like the game, it might not be the best SRPG to start out with. If you've played anything like FE or Mario+Rabbids and enjoyed those, I definitely recommend it. Otherwise, maybe try one of those and see if you like the genre before taking this one on?

thanks for the advice. any idea how soon is the next fire emblem to be released on the switch ?

Currently Owned Switch Games: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Octopath Traveller.

AndyD

Okay, so I only barely scratched the surface of the tutorial in this game several months ago, before being pulled away by other games. I am now going to start a new game so I know what and where I am at in the game both story and mechanics wise. is there any advice for a good way to "start" the game so I don't look back 25hrs or so in and go "OH I should have done that instead..."???

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Heavyarms55

@scubydo Unless you intend to play really hardcore and go for the post game super challenges, the game is really forgiving. Eventually you will get the ability to re-roll your characters back to level 1 and start over, which gives you further stat modifiers. If all you want to do is play through the story, you have nothing to worry about.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

jump

I've played over 100 hours of the game and I'm still got tons of grinding to do if I waana complete the post game stuff. I'm not sure I will be done with this before the next game comes out.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

rallydefault

Anybody see the speed run on SGDQ yesterday? Was pretty cool even if I'll probably never finish this game lol

rallydefault

zool

Has any one played both Disgaea and Diablo?
Which one gets your recommendation as the better single player game?

If Disgaea, 1complete or 5 complete. 🤔 👍

Edited on by zool

zool

Kaile

I haven’t played diablo that much and disgaea is my absolute favorite so i may be a bit biased here That being said, disgaea is definitely a great game, the story is entertaining and gameplay is excellent, there is a lot of features and literally hundreds of things to do. It can be a bit grindy but that is only if you want to complete everything as the real grind is in the post game, you can still enjoy the game even if you don’t like mindless grind.

On the other hand, diablo is a great game too and it can swallow you for a long time. There is bunch of characters to play and the game has insane replayabilty which does not get boring with time.

Main question is what you want to play as the gameplay is quite different. Diablo is an action rpg and disgaea is a turn based strategy rpg so i would say just decide what type you feel like playing and go with it.

If you decide to go with disgaea, you can pick either one. Obviously fifth one being the sixth entry in the series has many improvements to the gameplay but i wouldn’t say the first one is bad in any way. I consider both games amazing and standing at the top of the genre.
Characters are completely different so you don’t have to know anything about previous games.
Also if you care about the plot, i would say disgaea 1 is leading in that department

Kaile

zool

@Kaile thanks Kaile
I am playing Xenoblade Chronicle 2 torna now, I will go for a Disgaea next, I think 🤔

zool

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.