Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 1,801 to 1,820 of 3,493

Zkibu

@meppi64 I agree. Was the last week with Tengai same with many continues or 1 credit?

Zkibu

Switch Friend Code: SW-3139-0887-1010

meppi64

@Zkibu I couldn't tell you as I skipped last week.
I had no idea what I was doing wrong as I saw all those scores of 600.000 or close to it getting to level 1-6, while I couldn't even break into 1-5 and get beyond 400 last night.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

RetroGamerAndrew

@meppi64 last week challenge rules were standard psykyo games settings, so 3 life's per credit and 2 extra credit... And I suppose this week is the same.
@OorWullie ?

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

meppi64

@RetroGamerAndrew Ah, I see...
Well, can't say I'm a fan of that as it makes it way to easy to just plow through the game without needing to learn how to handle the most difficult situations for the most part. Same way I'm not crazy of restricting the ACA games to the more often than not overly-constricting 5 minute limit.
Guess it's just not for me then.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

RetroGamerAndrew

@meppi64 I'm perfectly fine with changing the rules to 1 credit if needed, I could erase the scoreboard and start from scratch
My 0.02

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Lroy

@RetroGamerAndrew @Zkibu @meppi64

As we hadn't done a Psikyo shooter before and due to the lack of online leaderboards or a Caravan mode, I think we just went with the default settings. That seemed the least convoluted at the time as it meant those that had already bought and played the game previously could just 'reset' the game to default settings and people buying the game for the challenge wouldn't have to change any settings. Right @oorwullie ?

None of this is set in stone. It is up to the players here to suggest the rules of each challenge and for us to agree.

TENGAI is past. But if people want the 'rules' of this week's challenge changed from default settings to 1 credit and no continues. We just need to say so, the sooner the better though as ideally, we'd all want to playing the game on a level playing field by the end of today.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Zkibu

I am fine with Caravan modes, but would prefer 1 credit runs in Psikyo shooters

Zkibu

hybridseed

All my scores were set as per the original rules and I'd be gutted to have my just under 600k taken away from me.

Switch: 5859 4845 9859

NNID: Hybridseed

PSN: odogzero

Zkibu

I am feeling @hybridseed. Maybe we should just play this week's challenge like we started and change the rules in the future titles.

Zkibu

Lroy

I don't have a strong preference either way. Just keen to get a consensus the sooner the better. Otherwise, I think we will have to stick with 'default settings' for this week's challenge and then revisit this issue ahead of time for the next occasion a Psikyo game gets picked. No big deal, just details to finalise which are bound to crop up the more we diversify the roster of games we choose. I'm still waiting for a NAMCO MUSEUM title to get picked, lol!

Anyway, to help simplify all this and to maybe get this done quicker - we all okay for @Oorwullie to have the final say? That allows us to pass the buck... 😜 I mean it is his baby after all, lol!

Edited on by Lroy

OorWullie

@DashKappei Hmmm I didn't know that. It's been a while since I played it. I had it set to no continues when I returned to it. I was sure I reset my previous leaderboard so all scores would be single continue runs. That must have been one of the other Psikyo games I done that. It's good to know that's how it works though. I would much prefer these challenges to have no extra continues as well but since Strikers 1945 and Tengai don't reset the scores after using a continue,I didn't think there would be any way to tell if someone used them. I wish I'd known that's how it works.

Is it too late to change the rules for this challenge?

Edited on by OorWullie

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

DashKappei

Lol wait a second 1 credit + 2 more was the rule?!!
all my runs have been 1 credit only, no wonder I only broke 459k on Tengai today lmao
I don’t know if I’ll play this week then, I don’t like highscore comp if it’s not on single credit runs.

DashKappei

Switch Friend Code: SW-7921-9388-6881

Lroy

The rules for each weekly challenge and the open leaderboards for each game are in @Oorwullie 's official Leaderboard thread - linked in his sig. Always worth checking there if in doubt.

DashKappei

@oorwullie yeah basically every shmup out there bar maybe a few distinct case will use the last two digits to show the number of continues. Neo-Geo shmups we played did the same btw, either that or the score resets if you continue after dying.

I don’t think it’s too late at all to change the rule, we just started and it’s a rule (+2 continues) unheard of on high-scores chasing comps

DashKappei

Switch Friend Code: SW-7921-9388-6881

Lroy

Until this is decided, I'm not going to attempt any more runs on STRIKERS 1945 😒

OorWullie

Right just read through the rest of the comments. I don't think it would be fair now to change rules after some have already set great scores. Sorry about the confusion. I do include the rules when opening the new challenge but I can understand why some would assume it to be a no single credit run as that's what we usually do. It's just with these Psikyo games not having online leaderboards and mixing single credit and extra credit scores in with each other, it seemed the best way to go. If I'd known about the 2 at the end of the score I'd have wanted single credit runs every time. At least we know now for future challenges.

SW-6101-8403-1640

OorWullie

Hmmm.dont know what to do. I don't want to put anyone off by asking them to reset their scores but at same time,I don't want to put some off from taking part by not doing so.

My apologies for this guy's.

SW-6101-8403-1640

Lroy

@OorWullie I'm cool with that. So we are sticking with 'default settings' for STRIKERS 1945 (both for this weekly challenge and the open leaderboard for this game) and then will change to single credit, no continues for future Psikyo games.

Thanks @oorwullie - I can take to the skies again πŸ‘

Edited on by Lroy

Lroy

Perhaps, anyone who submitted a score for TENGAI using only a single credit - either by choice or by accident in terms of not knowing the rules set can just have (1c) put next to their name on the Leaderboards for TENGAI? This system of adding (1c) could also work for the open Leaderboard for TENGAI?

EDIT: It looks like the following pilots likely submitted (1c) scores for TENGAI last week. @Jbs-Dad - 416,000
@Stargazer - 402,000
@DashKappei - 399,000
@monkeyspasm - 370,000

So perhaps add (1c) to their scores on the weekly challenge Leaderboard? Of course, they are welcome to submit another score using the 'default settings' for the Global Leaderboard for TENGAI?

Ditto the (1c) suffix could be used for anyone submitting scores for STRIKERS 1945 with only 1 credit this week?

Like @oorwullie has said, we can avoid this confusion going forward with having a 1 credit rule for the Psikyo shooters?

Edited on by Lroy

hybridseed

@OorWullie If the general preference here is for a single credit rule, and part of the reason you don't want to change it is because of what I said, don't worry about me, I'd rather we did what the majority want...

I'll either step out of this week's challenge or give myself 9 livesπŸ˜‰

Switch: 5859 4845 9859

NNID: Hybridseed

PSN: odogzero

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic