Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 1,821 to 1,840 of 2,925

DashKappei

Lol wait a second 1 credit + 2 more was the rule?!!
all my runs have been 1 credit only, no wonder I only broke 459k on Tengai today lmao
I don’t know if I’ll play this week then, I don’t like highscore comp if it’s not on single credit runs.

DashKappei

Switch Friend Code: SW-7921-9388-6881

Lroy

The rules for each weekly challenge and the open leaderboards for each game are in @Oorwullie 's official Leaderboard thread - linked in his sig. Always worth checking there if in doubt.

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 |
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀|
Retro Gamer

DashKappei

@oorwullie yeah basically every shmup out there bar maybe a few distinct case will use the last two digits to show the number of continues. Neo-Geo shmups we played did the same btw, either that or the score resets if you continue after dying.

I don’t think it’s too late at all to change the rule, we just started and it’s a rule (+2 continues) unheard of on high-scores chasing comps

DashKappei

Switch Friend Code: SW-7921-9388-6881

Lroy

Until this is decided, I'm not going to attempt any more runs on STRIKERS 1945 😢

Retro Gamer

OorWullie

Right just read through the rest of the comments. I don't think it would be fair now to change rules after some have already set great scores. Sorry about the confusion. I do include the rules when opening the new challenge but I can understand why some would assume it to be a no single credit run as that's what we usually do. It's just with these Psikyo games not having online leaderboards and mixing single credit and extra credit scores in with each other, it seemed the best way to go. If I'd known about the 2 at the end of the score I'd have wanted single credit runs every time. At least we know now for future challenges.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

OorWullie

Hmmm.dont know what to do. I don't want to put anyone off by asking them to reset their scores but at same time,I don't want to put some off from taking part by not doing so.

My apologies for this guy's.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Lroy

@OorWullie I'm cool with that. So we are sticking with 'default settings' for STRIKERS 1945 (both for this weekly challenge and the open leaderboard for this game) and then will change to single credit, no continues for future Psikyo games.

Thanks @oorwullie - I can take to the skies again 👍

Edited on by Lroy

Retro Gamer

Lroy

Perhaps, anyone who submitted a score for TENGAI using only a single credit - either by choice or by accident in terms of not knowing the rules set can just have (1c) put next to their name on the Leaderboards for TENGAI? This system of adding (1c) could also work for the open Leaderboard for TENGAI?

EDIT: It looks like the following pilots likely submitted (1c) scores for TENGAI last week. @Jbs-Dad - 416,000
@Stargazer - 402,000
@DashKappei - 399,000
@monkeyspasm - 370,000

So perhaps add (1c) to their scores on the weekly challenge Leaderboard? Of course, they are welcome to submit another score using the 'default settings' for the Global Leaderboard for TENGAI?

Ditto the (1c) suffix could be used for anyone submitting scores for STRIKERS 1945 with only 1 credit this week?

Like @oorwullie has said, we can avoid this confusion going forward with having a 1 credit rule for the Psikyo shooters?

Edited on by Lroy

Retro Gamer

hybridseed

@OorWullie If the general preference here is for a single credit rule, and part of the reason you don't want to change it is because of what I said, don't worry about me, I'd rather we did what the majority want...

I'll either step out of this week's challenge or give myself 9 lives😉

Switch: 5859 4845 9859

NNID: Hybridseed

PSN: odogzero

masterLEON

Scoring-wise, if you're playing single credit, you'll potentially have a higher score because you'll be gaining points for the power ups once you max out your firepower. So for example, if on two separate runs you complete stage 5 with two continues and no continues, the no continue run should naturally have a higher score due to points gained by extra powerups (and I realize that the game cuts back on power up squadrons when you're doing well). Correct me if I'm wrong.

"You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!"

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

RetroGamerAndrew

Real sorry for this misunderstanding tbh. As I said before, I'm cool with either resetting or going on with last week rules. We could even split the leaderboard so everybody can compete under his favourite ruleset... just a suggestion by the way

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Lroy

@RetroGamerAndrew It's cool. These details were always going to arise at some stage. Good to bring it up and discuss it. All here for fun and sure we can agree on a system that suits us all 👍

Retro Gamer

meppi64

lol, look at the mess we just made.

DashKappei wrote:

we just started and it’s a rule (+2 continues) unheard of on high-scores chasing comps

Yeah, that's my main problem with this.
Been playing all these games for the past 20+ years and even longer when it comes to 8-bit games with the general rule that pretty much everyone in the shmup community has been using since it's inception. 1CC, normal settings, only now to start playing with a new credit-feeding rule that will end up messing all the scoreboards up and making playing 1CC games a pain in the butt due to the board being overrun with way higher stuff that should be completely separate is a huge turn off.
Heck, it's pretty clear that's why Psykio ended up putting the 100001, 100002, etc thing into the point total in the first place.

Basically, it's an affront to humanity! ;P

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

meppi64

RetroGamerAndrew wrote:

Real sorry for this misunderstanding tbh. As I said before, I'm cool with either resetting or going on with last week rules. We could even split the leaderboard so everybody can compete under his favourite ruleset... just a suggestion by the way

I wouldn't be against that that at all.
in fact, I'd prefer it in cases where the 5 minute caravan mode transforms the game into a weird exploitable grind-fest compared to a regular 1CC play as was intended in the actual arcade release.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

RetroGamerAndrew

Ok, going to repeat myself just to be crystal-clear - I'm open to every common ruleset the player-base agrees upon.
But till then, I'm going to put Striker 1945 down and I'll be giving my huge, ever-growing backlog some (well deserved) love

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Lroy

I'll repeat. I'm flexible and happy to go with whatever rules @oorwullie wishes to enforce. All fun and games to me 👍

Retro Gamer

GrailUK

I would prefer single credit. (But then I'm guessing folk know this already lol.)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

GFoyle

My 2 cents, sorry if I'm repeating myself from previous post:

• It's just common rules set for all in for short, fun challenges. For this purpose, it shouldn't matter if the rules are different from "norm" rules used for high score chasers.
  • Whole concept of 1 credit, 3 lives for certain amount of money was just something what was decided back in the day, it's not more correct than have 3 credits, 9 lives or let say 1 life.
  • I think it's good that default settings are used, especially for newer people.
  • I was sceptical about using 2 continues when I started the Tengai challenge, but found out that it was just as fun if not more fun as I saw more levels.
  • No matter the rules, still best players get more points when using same rules.
  • these Psikyo games are hard, getting past even first loop is not easy in any of them not to mention maximising the score. Probably those default settings have been decided to be 2 credits to balance between fun and challenge.
  • I think I enjoy this format much more than to perfect some shorter run to max in very short amount of time. I think it was fun first to try to pass the first loop and then start to figure out how to get as best score as possible from that (I'm probably going to pass all caravan challenges myself as I don't think I enjoy that kind of format myself)

In general, I'm fine with 1 credits, but I think using the default settings is better, I would think it's more fun for most and it doesn't make it any less skill based.

I definitely don't think the rules should be change during ongoing challenge! I think the rules have been posted very clearly at the start of the challenge and can be seen from the leaderboard thread as well.

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

hybridseed

The game is so tough, I had a go on Monkey last night, was easy at first and I thought I'd easily beat the game but from stage 4 onwards it got tougher, I won't say what stage I got to as to not spoil it for anyone who hasn't passed stage 5 or 6, but I very much doubt I'll beat it on normal without boosting lives and credits!

Switch: 5859 4845 9859

NNID: Hybridseed

PSN: odogzero

GFoyle

I would say please make a poll what people prefer before changing the rules even for future challenges as I don't think it's that clear what majority enjoy the best just because some are vocal about their preferences here, like myself (I think 2 credits is just more fun way to get to know the game and it still works in this challenges).

Somebody said having those continues let's you avoid hard parts, which kinda I disagree. I think it gives you choice to choose you battles, which difficult parts you want to focus on and learn in this one week what you have for the challenge. I enjoyed that tactical aspect very much myself.

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic