Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 301 to 320 of 70,011

skywake

WebHead wrote:

@skywake: eh I think it's safe to say this will be out before 2018. The low spec portable and consoles would need good gimmicks. Maybe the portable can have that outward object scanning/detecting from the patent.

It's safe to say that the NX will be out before 2018 but that doesn't mean that we'll get a new home console and portable before then. Also 2018 is an important year in terms of what tech will be available to use especially for home consoles. It's about then that 4K is feasible at the sort of prices we're used to for a home console. If the NX isn't a home console and we instead have to wait for 2018 before the Wii U is retired? It could be more than just a bump above the Wii U, it could even be a generational leap above the PS4.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Therad

I have a hard time seeing the replacement for Wii U coming out in 2018. Do we honestly think it will survive as long as the Wii? 2017 at latest is my prediction.

I actually think a mid-gen console could be a good move. They could have about the same CPU and a slightly better GPU than the competition, have some sort of improved "normal" controller (with some nintendo magic) and thus get third-party ports. When the "PowerTwins" starts to prepare for their next gen and start powering down current consoles, nintendo would be in full stride and be in a good place to take some of the players from other consoles.

Therad

skywake

Therad wrote:

I have a hard time seeing the replacement for Wii U coming out in 2018. Do we honestly think it will survive as long as the Wii? 2017 at latest is my prediction.

You guys keep throwing the Wii U's situation around as if it's some kind of ticking time bomb. I honestly don't think it comes into the picture. It's less a question about how long the Wii U can "last" and more a question of what strategy puts its successor in the best position. I don't think a mid-gen console is a good strategy unless they've got something insane.

Should they be first? For sure. But that doesn't mean early. If they wait a little bit longer:

• The PS4 won't be as shiny and new, people will start looking for the next thing
  • 4K adoption will increase and more people will want content that runs at >1080p
  • They'll be able to offer higher specs at a lower price
  • With more time they'll be able to have more content ready for launch than they did with the Wii U

Edited on by skywake

WebHead

What would Nintendo realistically release for Wii U and 3DS until the end of 2018. Come on guys. Whatever NX is it will be out by the end of 2017. Fin

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

skywake

WebHead wrote:

What would Nintendo realistically release for Wii U and 3DS until the end of 2018.

You mean other than Zelda, Star Fox, Pikmin 4, and Project Guard/Giant Robot? Maybe Animal Crossing, Metroid and Mario? And what about some second-tier releases like Mario Golf, Mario Strikers, ExciteTruck, Kid Icarus and Luigi's Mansion? Perhaps they could go with some ports to fill things out a bit, we're already getting Twilight Princess so maybe Super Mario Sunshine?

Not saying that they will hold out to 2018 but the idea that they've already done everything is a bit weak. They're scraping the bottom of the barrel for the 3DS but not the Wii U. With the Wii U it's more a question of whether or not they move on before exploring what the Wii U could do.

Octane

F-Zero? We know that Nintendo hasn't forgotten about that game either, there was that cancelled F-Zero project for Wii U as well.

Hideki Kamiya expressed his interest in working on Star Fox and a Murasame Castlr sequel. He got to work on Star Fox, I wouldn't mind seeing his take on The Mysterious Murasame Castle.

There's plenty of games left that I can come up with. It's unlikely that the Wii U will be supported for that long, but it's definitely not impossible.

Octane

WebHead

Alright whatever floats you guys' boats.

WebHead

skywake

Nintendo published million sellers on Wii that haven't had equivalents on Wii U yet:

• Zelda (2016)
  • A 3D Mario on the scale of Galaxy (3D World possibly counts)
  • Animal Crossing
  • Metroid (3D and 2.5D)
  • Paper Mario
  • Mario Strikers
  • Mario Sports Mix

Same deal but for DS/3DS:

• Clubhouse Games
  • Rhythm Heaven (exists in Japan)

Edited on by skywake

WebHead

Anyone who thinks Nintendo is riding the Wii U train actively for another 3 whole years is frankly delusional. but hey, i can't tell you what to think.

WebHead

Octane

@WebHead: I don't think they will, but it's definitely not impossible.

Octane

skywake

WebHead wrote:

Anyone who thinks Nintendo is riding the Wii U train actively for another 3 whole years is frankly delusional. but hey, i can't tell you what to think.

I'm not saying it will happen or that it's definitely happening. All I'm saying is that there's enough left undone for the Wii U that they could if they wanted to. If they did decide to do that it's not like we'd run out of new games which is what you were arguing. It's probably true for the 3DS but it isn't for the Wii U. If they go down that path? It wouldn't be smart for the short term but it could work in the medium term by putting their next home console in a better position.

You're saying leaving the option of Nintendo going against all of the "conventional wisdom" and dragging the Wii U out is delusional. I agree that it is an out there theory but I don't think it's delusional to say it's possible. Instead I'd argue that it's delusional to think you know what Nintendo would and wouldn't do. If you think you know what Nintendo is doing then you don't know Nintendo.

Edited on by skywake

Therad

skywake wrote:

WebHead wrote:

What would Nintendo realistically release for Wii U and 3DS until the end of 2018.

You mean other than Zelda, Star Fox, Pikmin 4, and Project Guard/Giant Robot? Maybe Animal Crossing, Metroid and Mario? And what about some second-tier releases like Mario Golf, Mario Strikers, ExciteTruck, Kid Icarus and Luigi's Mansion? Perhaps they could go with some ports to fill things out a bit, we're already getting Twilight Princess so maybe Super Mario Sunshine?

Not saying that they will hold out to 2018 but the idea that they've already done everything is a bit weak. They're scraping the bottom of the barrel for the 3DS but not the Wii U. With the Wii U it's more a question of whether or not they move on before exploring what the Wii U could do.

The gamepad could be super-fun in Luigis Mansion. See hidden ghosts and stuff when looking through the gamepad.

I agree with the assessment that there are still many franchises they haven't used this gen (or the last...), but I don't think they will be able to increase sales of Wii U. And here lies the problem, with a smaller install base they have a harder time making money. Not only do they sell less of their own games, but the "passive" income from other developers are really low.

Therad

WebHead

@Therad: exactly it just wouldn't be worth it. Face it guys. Wii U ain't gonna last as long as we'd like. But yeah I see what skywake says, they are a bunch of crazy stubborn old men after all

WebHead

erv

Well the interesting bit is that the wii U being weak doesn’t hurt nintendo as much as the next console being executed wrongly. Nintendo is transitioning.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

skywake

tl;dr - this is a transition period, Nintendo have to think about what's best for FOUR platforms. It's not just about the Wii U.

WebHead

@skywake: well to be fair I think we can all agree that 3ds has had its time. It's lived its life. So I don't think 3ds really matters in the long term anymore.

WebHead

skywake

@WebHead: Fair call, I'll rephrase my tl;dr:
this is a transition period, Nintendo has to take four platforms into account when choosing what to launch and when. It's not just about the Wii U

Edited on by skywake

Octane

Talking about business strategies... Nintendo could've dropped the Wii U's price as well, even selling the system at a loss. It's not a short term solution, but it's a long term strategy. Getting more Nintendo systems in people's houses to ensure that more people are willing to buy their next console, because they've experienced Nintendo's products first hand. But again, this is Nintendo...

Anyway, I don't believe they're losing any money of the Wii U anymore. And don't forget about the insane attach rate of its games. I don't think they're losing much on the software side. Their hardware sales might be down, but software still sells. MK8's sales are nearing 5.5 million copies, that's not even taking in account the digital sales.

Of course, we're also assuming that the next home console will do a lot better than the Wii U commercially.

Octane

Mister_Wu

Octane wrote:

Talking about business strategies... Nintendo could've dropped the Wii U's price as well, even selling the system at a loss. It's not a short term solution, but it's a long term strategy. Getting more Nintendo systems in people's houses to ensure that more people are willing to buy their next console, because they've experienced Nintendo's products first hand. But again, this is Nintendo...

Well, at least we now know why the price of the Wii U is still relatively high...
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/11/you_can_now_buy_a_re...

Octane wrote:

Anyway, I don't believe they're losing any money of the Wii U anymore. And don't forget about the insane attach rate of its games. I don't think they're losing much on the software side. Their hardware sales might be down, but software still sells. MK8's sales are nearing 5.5 million copies, that's not even taking in account the digital sales.

Well, it actually surpassed that mark a while ago:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wiiu.html
And yes, the attachment rate is still greater than 50%:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html
And in the UK it's pretty much the best selling Wii U game even now:
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/11/animal_crossing_amii...
Which is even more surprising considering it didn't receive an update since last May.

Octane wrote:

Of course, we're also assuming that the next home console will do a lot better than the Wii U commercially.

And this is the interesting part. Until we know what the NX is, I cannot even try to guess that...

Mister_Wu

WebHead

yeah if nintendo's gonna have a gimmick hopefully its something simple that doesn't drastically up the cost of the system.

WebHead

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic