Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 2,081 to 2,100 of 70,005

NinChocolate

OorWullie wrote:

Just having a wee think about these detachable controllers and if true how they will work.Those tiny little pads in the mock ups that appeared looked a nightmare to use but what about if they are similar to that but folded in half so that when detached you can snap them open to give you a controller more the size of a Wii mote.The buttons will be designed so that they work both ways,front facing 1/2 buttons like the Wiimote when open and detached and L/R and ZL/ZR when folded over and attached to the console giving it standard controls.When the pads are folded over they'll be thicker than the console itself giving you a good grip.Sounds feasible to me.

Nintendo's form factor is what I'm most excited to see. Their careful planning usually lets them get a bit more function out of certain amount of form than most. It's never really predictable, always a novelty when revealed

NinChocolate

gcunit

All this talk of teraflops... numbers may show that the PS4 is 4 times more powerful than Wii U, but the games sure aren't 4 times as pretty or impressive, so it doesn't count for much in my book.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

DefHalan

gcunit wrote:

All this talk of teraflops... numbers may show that the PS4 is 4 times more powerful than Wii U, but the games sure aren't 4 times as pretty or impressive, so it doesn't count for much in my book.

Yeah but the PS4's library is probably 4 times the size of the Wii U.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

gcunit

I'll take quality over quantity, and so will my wallet and backlog.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

DefHalan

gcunit wrote:

I'll take quality over quantity, and so will my wallet and backlog.

Me too but there are quality games on PS4/XB1 that are skipping the Wii U because of power.

skywake

GrailUK wrote:

What does Pascal mean?

Pascal would be X2 because the X1 was Maxwell based. Which could mean one of three things. A significant performance boost with a similar power consumption. A moderate performance boost with a moderate power reduction. Or a significantly more power efficient and lower cost chip with similar performance. Whatever it is it's good news.

gcunit wrote:

This is true. Just because a GPU can process 4x as much doesn't mean it'll look 4x as good. It doesn't even mean you'll get 4x as many FPS with the same settings. But short of getting the same game at the same settings and measuring the FPS on all of them? It's the most objective measure of "how powerful" something is we can get.

Me saying the NX will be something between 1.5x and 3x as powerful as the NX? That's entirely meaningless. Unless I also say that the XBOne is almost 4x more powerful than the Wii U. Or that the 3DS was 100x less powerful than the Wii U. Then you kinda get a bit of a picture of how powerful this thing will be.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

parallaxscroll

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/29/12320792/nintendo-subscript...

Nintendo's NX console got a whole lot less mysterious this week after a detailed report from Eurogamer — later corroborated by IGN and Kotaku — blew the lid off the concept. In short, it's said to be a tablet-style device powered by Nvidia mobile hardware; it has detachable controllers, and can be hooked up to a TV for living room play.

I have an idea that I don't expect Nintendo to use, but that I do think it should: offer a monthly paid subscription service. The Netflix of video games, if you will. I believe doing so could improve its situation in a number of key areas, solving some long-standing issues while making the company more accessible to more people.

What would such a subscription service involve? The most obvious component would be access to Nintendo's incomparable back catalog of games. Right now the company sells individual titles as $5–10 downloads on the Wii U and 3DS, releasing them one by one. This approach was progressive when it launched with the original Wii 10 years ago, but it's out of touch today.

The next component is a long shot, but it would help Nintendo sidestep some of its biggest problems. If the NX really is based on Nvidia mobile hardware, I'd love to see it include Nvidia's GeForce Now streaming service as part of the same subscription. GeForce Now lets you play games that are running on PCs somewhere in Nvidia's data centers and stream them to devices like the Shield tablet and Android TV. You can buy games individually, and there's also a library of titles available with a monthly fee.

GeForce Now needs a solid internet connection, of course, but it's worked well for me whenever I've used it, and it would guarantee a level of third-party support that Nintendo hasn't managed to achieve in decades. Since the games run on high-end PCs, the NX's likely power disadvantage would be less of an issue, too — Nintendo could keep the cost down on the system itself, yet still be able to claim that it plays advanced, complex titles like The Witcher III that it would otherwise have no hope of attracting to its platform. It's been hard to see who'd use GeForce Now as a primary method of playing games while it's been restricted to Nvidia devices, and services like OnLive and PlayStation Now have failed to set the world alight for various reasons. But smart integration into the NX could make the experience a lot more palatable to a mainstream audience, even if it shouldn't and couldn't be the primary way to play games.

Of course, I don't expect Nintendo to stop developing its flagship titles and charging $60 for them individually, nor should it — games like Mario Kart 8 were hugely successful even with the Wii U's small userbase. But Nintendo could boost subscription membership by developing smaller-scale games for the service — the kind of thing it puts on the 3DS eShop today. Sony's successful PlayStation Plus service, which gives subscribers a wildly varying selection of games each month, shows how people are willing to pay for a steady flow of content from a company they trust.

I agree that GeForce Now streaming would help offset the limitations of NX hardware (whatever its using) because games could be brought to NX, exclusive or not-exclusive, that would be impossible on the hardware itself. Like the article said, they run on high-end Nvidia servers with GeForce GPUs. From what I've read about GeForce Now, it's not perfect, but is better than PlayStation Now.

Obviously GeForce Now is not a replacement for the Supplemental Computing Device, but they could be similar in results, for those that do not wish to purchase extra hardware (if that's how SCD will be implemented).

Edited on by parallaxscroll

parallaxscroll

IceClimbers

@BiasedSonyFan I should point out that being Pascal based doesn't necessarily mean Tegra X2. It could be a custom chip, which Nintendo is known for using, that is Pascal based and more power efficient but not anymore powerful than a Tegra X1.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

DefHalan

@BiasedSonyFan why was this addressed to me?

DefHalan

@BiasedSonyFan ok, that was just a lot of text for my simple reply to another post lol.

deweytepps

Wrote a huge thing and it just disappeared.

deweytepps

skywake

@parallaxscroll
There's a reason I'm dismissive. OnLive, the previous attempt at this, launched in the US and the UK. NVidia's GeForce Now is available in the US, Canada and Europe. Playstation Now is available in the US and only fairly recently launched in the UK and Europe. With Japan being in closed beta.

I don't think having an NVidia GPU makes this idea any more likely. And besides, even if they did? As an Australian I highly doubt I'll have access to it. Even if I had decent internet which I don't from what I can tell none of these game streaming services are available here. I doubt Nintendo would be the ones to be the first to deliver it. So yeah. I don't see any reason for me to buy into that speculation.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

parallaxscroll

@skywake

Alright, fair enough. Then at least I'd like to see the Supplemental Computing Device(s) implemented.

The Nintendo patent indicates that an SCD would contain one or more processors / processor modules, memory, audio/video drivers, game data data, one or more network interfaces. The SCD would have a physically wired connection to the console. One or more SCDs can be connected to a console locally to supplement performance in executing a game.

While I can't imagine NX being connected to a discrete large GeForce GTX type GPU, I could see 1-2 Tegra chips in an SCD. It could also be that the dock for connecting NX to an HDTV and power supply (or a separate dock) is one form of the SCD.

It would not be unheard of.

During the 8-bit and 16-bit eras, Nintendo and third party devs often used extra chips in NES / Famicom and SNES / Super Famicom cartridges to boost the processing power and memory of their games. Everything from NES Memory Management Chips (MMCs) to Konami's VRC series to Super NES DSPs, extra CPU accelerators, SuperFX / Super FX2. They all supplemented the NES / SNES hardware.

I really do think NX will utilize SCDs sooner or later.

parallaxscroll

Octane

@BiasedSonyFan Sony (and Microsoft as well) are not going to screw over their 40+ million userbase. Whatever comes to PS4 NEO is playable on the vanilla PS4 as well.

It depends on whether we'll get a PS5 or just new iterations of the PS4, but if the former is the case then I don't expect exclusive games on NEO at all. If there's a NEO 2.0 maybe, but not until that console is introduced and by that time the vanilla PS4 will have had its time. I don't see the problem.

@skywake Are you sure PS Now is a thing in Europe? Last time I checked it was still in closed beta.

Octane

FragRed

I've been thinking and I'm interested to hear what everyone's thoughts are, but as is typical with Nintendo's new consoles/platforms, the NX is going to be something that needs to be picked up and actually used in order for the media (and maybe potential customers) to get a good understanding of the device itself which is a huge part of how they sell the idea to people.

The problem is they already missed E3, they look like they could miss Gamescom so that leaves the Tokyo Games Show to really sell the NX unless I've missed something. But most media won't be attending that event so I'm not too sure how Nintendo are going to get this in the hands of mainstream journalists and gamers.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

GrailUK

@FragRed How difficult can a hand held you can play on the TV concept be to grasp? The main thing Nintendo have to manage is the negative spin from those wanting a dedicated home console. It will be vastly inferior to the Scorpio for example and they will disregard it's power for a mobile unit. The message I think will be easy, guy playing Zelda at home, stands up and walks outside or something still playing. Easy. (I am sure they can make it more imaginative than that lol) but what they cannot do is let the public perceive it is a home console first. (So maybe in my example it would be better starting outside!) Place your bets. In the reveal, how many times will Nintendo say 'Hybrid'. I reckon 0.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

FragRed

@GrailUK It's Nintendo's own fault for the negative spin the NX is receiving in part at least from those wanting a dedicated home console. First party support for the Wii U is pretty much none existence in many people's eyes this year and a lot of people, myself included, I think were hoping the reason was because a new home console was on the way.

Also Nintendo cannot escape the fact that this will be portrayed by the media as a hybrid or a handheld/home console regardless what message Nintendo themselves puts out. Its always talked about being a hybrid by the media and Nintendo hasn't said a word. And any marketing Nintendo do will show the docking station and the fact it's used for TV output and, likely, how the controller detaches from the tablet and reassembles to form one that can be used for the home TV experience as that is part of the experience.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic