Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 2,001 to 2,020 of 69,954

FragRed

@WebHead I think 200 should be the whole deal, not just portable and control pads. There is no way I would pay any more for the docking station to be included, or want to buy it separate. Plus the more parts this thing needs, the more confusing the message will be to the casual shoppers in retailers.

Anyway if the docking station was used to charge the system, then it would need to be included regardless, though this is speculation it will be a charging station.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

WebHead

@FragRed I think more of an optional charging cradle than a necessary station. We will see but Kimishima said they won't selling at a lost.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

FragRed

@WebHead Here in the UK and Europe, Nintendo don't set the price of their consoles or games, which could have an impact on the sale price if retailers mark it up too high. That could be problematic.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

DjLewe78

Every thing depends on weather they use Tegra X1 or X2 chips as far as 3rd party support goes.
Now the dev kits have X1 in them but didn't Nintendo say recently that they needed further investment regarding the NX?
Could that be to upgrade to the X2 following 3rd party feedback?

But lets assume for costs it will probably be the X1 in the unit.
Could that be capable of porting say FIFA from current gen consoles?
I realise something like bloodborne or Witcher 3 (which i couldn't care less about BTW) would be to much to compromise, but damn NX needs a FIFA right?

1 up !

Octane

@FragRed We do have a MSRP here in Europe. From what I understand, retailers have more freedom and can lower the price, hence why it is easier to find new AAA games for €50 instead of €60 at launch in European stores. However, I believe that retailers are never allowed to ask more than the MSRP. From my experience, games are always less than the MSRP.

Octane

rallydefault

@BiasedSonyFan

Yea, that is very true. And I assume the cost of using the X1 will go down even further when the X2 is formally announced and put into circulation. So yea, I think I agree that the X1 would be the way to go.

rallydefault

Octane

@WebHead @FragRed Of course, there's another problem. If the NX is made to replace both the home and handheld console, and if it also has to cater to the handheld market (where I suspect its biggest userbase will have to come from), then it can't be too expensive either. $250 didn't go well for the 3DS, and it wasn't until it dropped to $170 that the system started picking up steam. The DS launch at $150, but even its price dropped to $130 less than a year after launch. I wonder how many handheld gamers are willing to pay more than the average handheld console for the NX.

Octane

WebHead

I imagibe for memory we are probably looking at 2-4GB of LPDDR4.

WebHead

skywake

BiasedSonyFan wrote:

Which is why, as I argued elsewhere, it would be better for the NX use the X1 chipset instead of the X2 chipset in order to keep the NX affordable for more gamers. Nintendo could offer hardware upgrades later.

The X2 isn't necessarily more expensive or even more powerful. It could just as easily be a lower cost, less power hungry version with the same spec. Or also possible a higher performance, less power hungry chip at a similar cost. Remember, the X1 is two years old. They're probably only using it in the dev kits because the X2 isn't in full production yet (hence the odd timing for the launch).

Octane wrote:

$250 didn't go well for the 3DS, and it wasn't until it dropped to $170 that the system started picking up steam. The DS launch at $150, but even its price dropped to $130 less than a year after launch

Adjusted for inflation
$250US in 2011 -> $270 in 2017
$150US in 2004 -> $190 in 2017

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

WebHead

@skywake plus 3ds had weak hardware and lack of compelling games.

WebHead

WebHead

@BiasedSonyFan I think they'll do 2GB ram and custom x1 for cost. Thy probably will try to hit the $200 price point.

WebHead

FragRed

@WebHead Would the custom X1 mean it would be potentially less powerful than if they used the standard chip in order to reduce cost?

dtjive

Catching up on the last few pages but in Re: hard drive capacity debate.

What if it was the case that the handheld component of the NX had say 64gb, and then the hub component had an additional 250gb? So basically, whilst you wouldn't be able to take ALL save data/downloads with you- you could quickly move data/downloads from one to the other like you would on your computer for example?

Not sure if those number would be appropriate as I'm not sure exactly what the size of a digital game download is, or the data save file of a physical game.

dtjive

WebHead

@FragRed not necessarily. Like Nintendo making a more efficient version of it and such.

WebHead

dtjive

Also, just to add. I also believe the dock won't be a simple device to connect to the TV. I do suspect that it will do some (modest) graphical/resolution improvements when you play at home. The whole concept sounds very similar to the supplemental computing device patent imo.

Secondly, I also think Nintendo will sell the device at $250, but they should also have available a 'portable only' version at $200.

dtjive

Octane

skywake wrote:

Octane wrote:

$250 didn't go well for the 3DS, and it wasn't until it dropped to $170 that the system started picking up steam. The DS launch at $150, but even its price dropped to $130 less than a year after launch

Adjusted for inflation
$250US in 2011 -> $270 in 2017
$150US in 2004 -> $190 in 2017

In short; $200 seems to be the tipping point.

Octane

erv

@rallydefault you're right about that.

Price is going to be a driving factor. 200 May not be much less than 220, but that 199 is a magical number in terms of psychology for a consumer.

Combine that with the current players already approaching that point and Nintendo would lose a battle they shouldn't fight.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

WebHead

@erv a tablet capable of running wii u spec games with attachable/detachable control pads that can play on the TV too combined with free online and a steady stream of quality games, especially Nintendo, at $199? That with proper, aggressive marketing then I don't see how it can fail imo.

WebHead

Grumblevolcano

@WebHead Where has it been said that NX will have free online?

Never forget the PS3 to PS4 transition, Nintendo could easily start charging online with NX because the others are and not frowned upon.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WebHead

@Grumblevolcano well if they're targeting the kids/families the online is likely to be free. It probably won't be as good as PlayStation and Xbox but decent. Maybe I shouldn't say can't fail but I think it'd be hard to resist. Then again a lot of people thought Wii u would repeat Wiis success.

WebHead

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic