Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,961 to 1,980 of 69,954

skywake

WebHead wrote:

Storage could get expensive. The unit will likely have internal memory but not a lot, even then some of it is gonna go to the system software. It is unlikely that the tablet with have a hard drive dock on itself and if Nintendo is recommending 32gb carts for retail games you realistically need a microsd with AT LEAST 128gb if you want to be all digital.

I can see 128GB of internal storage being a real possibility. Forget the price scaling from companies like Apple and Samsung, flash doesn't cost that much. At one of my local PC retailers they have a 128GB SD card for $99AU, SSD for $59AU and thumb drive at $69AU. Retail. They can absorb those costs.

I'd also imagine that the dock does a little bit more than just power the thing and pass through a signal. They could easily have USB support and therefore external HDD support. Possibly a bit of storage of its own. Maybe the dock even has a small ARM chip in it so it can download updates for when you bring the main system back. So there are ways they could do this.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

cwong15

A bunch of thoughts on the latest rumors:

• I think it's cool that N is still pushing local multiplayer. I remember Iwata citing Turkle's book "Alone Together", and how gadgets leave us socially isolated. Console gaming is usually a solitary affair. That you can actually play with someone physically next to you bucks the trend. And now multiplayer will be possible on a portable game machine: that's a first.
  • Multiplayer on a portable? That also means you can share with non-Nintendo gamers. Bring your NX with you on the bus, on the plane, or when you visit. Remember those silly Wii TV commercials with those guys going door to door saying "Wii would like to play". With the NX, that will be you, infiltrating non-Nintendo territory.
  • Speaking of infiltrating, the NX can sell as a second console. N cannot compete directly against the PS4/XB1 as a primary home console, but they can offer a cheap second machine for those who want to play on the road. And look: you can play on your TV at home too! This will prime the market for an NX home console. NX: sneaking into enemy territory through the back door, in your (oversized) pocket.
  • To be cheap, I don't expect the docking station to be anything more than a dumb power/HDMI pass-through. But even then, it could be a performance booster. How? Mobile devices normally don't run at maximum performance since that will suck the battery dry. They normally do things like adaptively lowering the CPU clock rate. But if docking the NX signals the game that it can run at full throttle, it could have a big impact. There was a rumor that NX platform games are supposed to adapt to different hardware capabilities. I thought this referred to different NX products, but this could easily apply to different power profiles.

cwong15

GrailUK

GrailUK wrote:

Made this on paint. Based on the GC pad but slightly altered.
Untitled

I think Nintendo copied my idea! I am going to sue lol!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Therad

If Nvidia also give Nintendo access to their GeForce now service, Nintendo would get access to a streaming service like PlayStation now. And one of the rumours was about streaming from other places. So it might not be to unlikely, since that would boost the service for Nvidia while at the same time expand NX library with little effort.

And if they add PC-streaming, you can buy xbox one games on your win10 machine and play them on NX.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

WebHead

@skywake yes but you'll need the box for using hard drives since again I doubt the portable will have a hard drive bay. It would make the unit heavier, bulkier, and more expensive.

Sucks Nintendo to have had this leaked before reveal but part of life, and it's their fault that they kept blowing it off.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Frostyboy

If this rumour is true then why is everyone comparing a handheld to XBOne and PS4?
You should be comparing it to the PS vita/PS TV or the nvidia shield. This thing is more like a micro console then a home console I thought @DefHalan would be all over this!

Swopped my Saga master system for my friend NES and iv never look back.

Miitomo - http://twitter.com/@Frostyboy

Twitter:

FragRed

@Octane Be careful what you post, IGN and Gamespot.com may take this as legit and start reporting it

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

skywake

WebHead wrote:

skywake wrote:

I'd also imagine that the dock does a little bit more than just power the thing and pass through a signal. They could easily have USB support and therefore external HDD support. Possibly a bit of storage of its own.

yes but you'll need the box for using hard drives since again I doubt the portable will have a hard drive bay. It would make the unit heavier, bulkier, and more expensive.

I'm not talking about the portable component. On the dock one of the ports on it is HDMI we assume. We also assume it's powering the device when docked. But there's no reason why it can't also expand into other ports. It's not like these sort of things don't exist already. I mean here's one designed for that Macbook that only had one USB type C.

Untitled

If that dock has USB ports? They could use it for accessories like microphones for games like Just Dance. They could use it for something along the lines of the Gamecube Controller adaptor. But they could also use it for mass storage for extra storage when docked.

Edited on by skywake

WebHead

@skywake I mean a built in bay could work but it'll make the tablet bulkier heavier and more expensive. And you're missing the point. On the go. Like train rides and such

WebHead

skywake

@WebHead
You're right, on the go they're going to have to use flash. But when docked storage shouldn't be an issue.

WebHead

@skywake which is why I say storage is going to be a pain

WebHead

Grumblevolcano

@WebHead I know this sounds crazy but maybe retail games will return to being physical only like back in the DS/Wii days.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WebHead

@Grumblevolcano nah lol. Despite what I say it could have a drive bay. Would probably have to be 2.5" drives though

WebHead

skywake

@Grumblevolcano @WebHead
As I've said on other threads, flash IS more expensive. But not to the extent it used to be. They could fairly easily get away with 128GB. Which should be enough for a quite a few games. I mean if they can do a premium SKU of the XBOne with 1TB then they can do a premium SKU of the NX with 256GB. Potentially.
Untitled

WebHead

@skywake so you think a built in 2.5" hard drive bay is viable? Safe to say the screen is probably going to be 6"

WebHead

WebHead

@skywake they probably won't due to cost. It'll probably be one of the areas where Nintendo cheaps out on.

WebHead

skywake

WebHead wrote:

@skywake so you think a built in 2.5" hard drive bay is viable? Safe to say the screen is probably going to be 6"

I think a 2.5" HDD bay is possible in the dock though support via USB makes more sense. I don't think they'd put it in the unit itself because of the bulk/power consumption etc. I think upto 250GB of flash is possible in the unit itself. Though 128GB is more realistic given that you can get that much flash at retail for the same cost as a 500GB HDD. Plus they included 32GB of flash in the Wii U when it launched and 128GB would be about the equivalent amount today.

Edited on by skywake

WebHead

@skywake I also suspect there'll be a skyward sword HD. I suspect the control pads will be essentially wii remote plus wands inside new shells.

WebHead

Grumblevolcano

@skywake Surely we should be comparing to 3DS, not Wii U as the NX is mainly a handheld not a home console. How much flash memory does the 3DS have?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic