Forums

Topic: Wrestling Fans Unite!

Posts 1,501 to 1,520 of 1,969

jump

^I disagree about the chair shot, whilst I wouldn't go as far as to commend them, it's something I rather not see as the cost doesn't equal the pop. Even if it's just one single shot to the head it can still cause a concussion (I've had them before, they aren't nice and my cousin was a boxer who has complications from them) which can rule them out for months as well as potentially causing a botch later in the match and when you're lifting huge guys dropping someone on their neck is a real possibility. It also leads to demands of more chair shots to head as the fans expect it now.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

bimmy-lee

Oh man, I take it Cody ate a chair shot to the dome. Can’t wait to see how he took it. Same as any other spot, could go fine, could go wrong. Depends on the people involved. Let’s break all the rules. Fingers crossed for a piledriver through a table next time. Bang! Bang!

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

bimmy-lee

Double posting because it doesn’t matter what my name is. I watched Fyter Fest in two sittings. Not ideal, I usually like to start and finish a card in a single viewing, but it was a good show. I didn’t love Cody’s match, but it was fine, and it was more about the post match anyway. Seemed like he pulled away a tiny bit at the last second on that chair shot and the frame of the chair maybe sliced him. He could have gigged it because there was a quick shot of him on the mat holding his head, but it wasn’t bleeding yet, and then they came back to the same shot a second later and it was a gusher. Doesn’t matter. I enjoyed it. Cody sold the heck out of it, and it all felt like the ending of an ECW card from 1998. Needless to say, the final matches were great. I ended up watching the pre show too, and Mark Quinn of Private Party looks like a star.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tasuki

New Japan's G1 Climax started tonight from Dallas. A couple of names caught my attention Jon Moxley of course but also in the tournament is Zak Sabre Jr and Will Osprey two of my favorite indy wrestlers. Also Kanta (formerly Hideo Itami of NXT) will be making his return debut match so I am excited about that.

I have to say since watching AEW my love of wrestling has rekindled. Of course I haven't watch any WWE but I am keeping an eye on it with Heymen and Bischoff running the shows but still I am optimistic about Raw and SmackDown.

At least for now I have AEW and New Japan.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

jump

Tasuki wrote:

New Japan's G1 Climax started tonight from Dallas. A couple of names caught my attention Jon Moxley of course but also in the tournament is Zack Sabre Jr. and Will Osprey two of my favorite indy wrestlers. Also Kanta (formerly Hideo Itami of NXT) will be making his return debut match so I am excited about that.

I have to say since watching AEW my love of wrestling has rekindled. Of course I haven't watch any WWE but I am keeping an eye on it with Heymen and Bischoff running the shows but still I am optimistic about Raw and SmackDown.

At least for now I have AEW and New Japan.

I'm a big fan of Zack Sabre Jr and Will Osprey. There's a British indy promotion called Lucha Britannia (which is insane trashy fun but not for everyone) which is where I first saw Osprey, it was about 6ish years ago so he would have been 19 at the time and even then you could tell he was going to be great. At the time he was wearing a Lucha mask so a few years later I remember watching Osprey at another indy event and thought he's similar to Dark Britannico (his Luch Britannia name) only to then find out they were the same person.

Technically Kanta isn't returning to New Japan as he has never wrestled there before, he's largely know for his time in Noah a different Japanese promotion. Keep an eye on the Tomohiro Ishii and Kota Ibushi matches too, both of those guys are great.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Tasuki

@jump I first saw Will Osprey about a year or two ago with a British promotion and instantly fell in love with his ring style. He was a wrestler that I wish would come to WWE just so I could see more of him (even though I know WWE would mess him up). Mostly I have seen his indie stuff on YouTube and it's always a joy watching him. The match he had with Lance Archer this past Saturday was great. Even they had two different wrestling styles, they worked really well together, for me it was probably the best match of the night.

My Backlog

bimmy-lee

Only had time for one wrestling event last weekend, and I chose AEW’s Fight for the Fallen. It was a good show, and it helped highlight the depth of their roster. There’s never a shortage of great tag team rasslin on an AEW card, which I enjoy. Is there kayfabe AEW storyline occurring somewhere right now, like maybe on twitter or something? It completely broke all logic that Shawn Spears was there, but not confronted by Cody. Drove me crazy. I really needed to see Spears bleed. Maybe it’s a story for All In, but they could have touched on it here.

I hope they can figure out commentary by TV this fall. This team is atrocious. I like a two person booth. They need a high energy play by play person to fill the air, and let JR chime in with colorful JRisms. He can’t carry a three hour show anymore, and the jay-brones out there with him can’t cover his BBQ’d babyback brisket.

Good show though, and I saw multiple piledrivers, so I went home happy.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tasuki

@bimmy-lee For now most of AEW's storylines are little 5 minute videos on their YouTube channel which obviously will change this October when they come to TNT.

I was able to watch both Fight the Fallen and the B Block of NJPW G1 Climax tournament both had excellent matches. I second the tag team matches on AEW and Moxley's match for New Japan was great as well. Apparently in New Japan chairs and tables can be used and won't get a person DQ'd unless it's in the ring, outside it's all legal. I found that interesting.

Oh and on the AEW front I can't wait to see the Battle of the Kongs!!!

My Backlog

bimmy-lee

Forgot about the Kong standoff. That was great! A match to anticipate. I also meant to mention Evil Uno from The Dark Order in my last post. That guy made my night. What a throwback! Loved his mid 80s, slimy, chicken ish heel act. He even has a mid 80s rasslin heel body! He looked like Adrian Adonis in a mask and made everyone else look amazing.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tasuki

So AEW is teasing a huge announcement for AEW on TNT tomorrow on social media today, I wonder what it could be?

My Backlog

the_shpydar

I'm betting they'll just be announcing the official start date and the day/time that it will be airing. All indications at this point look like it's probably be on Wednesday nights, starting sometime in October. I am so looking forward to it!

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

jump

the_shpydar wrote:

I'm betting they'll just be announcing the official start date and the day/time that it will be airing. All indications at this point look like it's probably be on Wednesday nights, starting sometime in October. I am so looking forward to it!

Apparently it's gonna be on Tuesday, Smackdown is moving to Fridays on Fox so they are eyeing up that spot and have copyrighted Tuesday Night Dynamite.

Nicolai wrote:

bimmy-lee

Ooh, I like Tuesday Night Dynamite! Tuesday or Wednesday would be good nights. Tuesday maybe slightly better because it’s not competing with NXT, and there will be an opening on a previously established wrestling night.

I’m guessing the announcement tomorrow will be a press conference for signing CM Punk, but it’ll get invaded by Kevin Steen and Rusev, The Outliers.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tasuki

I can agree with Tuesday as well it seems the perfect day as not to compete with WWE.

Does TNA still have a weekly show?

My Backlog

bimmy-lee

Sphydar called it like Ric Flair calling a 60 minute broadway. You’re all invited to my place for a viewing party October 2nd. I’ll have refreshments, they’ll all be things rasslers enjoyed in 1983.

limby-bee was a jerk.

bimmy-lee

Yeah, it sure doesn’t seem like he’s coming back, aside from possible masked run ins at indie shows. A shame for wrestling fans, but oh well. He wasn’t transcendent, but he was fun to watch. The real shame is that he’d probably be even better now than he was when he left. He had shades of Hot Rod in him. If he cared about wrestling, he would be huge for AEW, but he doesn’t, so he won’t.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Tasuki

So more news on AEW's schedule. The word going around is that they will do 51 TV shows a year (speculating that the week of Christmas they get off) and only 4 PPVs a year reason being to give storylines more time to grow and they don't feel rushed.

My Backlog

bimmy-lee

Quarterly PPVs is great news. Feeding the monthly beast has directly impacted WWEs ability to produce interesting storylines. I’m interested to see how they crown their champions as well. I love a good tournament. Just talking out of my rear here, but I would be thrilled if they implemented a rankings system concerning contenders for the titles. It would present their brand as a sport, it would make wins and losses matter (thereby creating kayfabe), and it would be fun to keep tabs on the rankings.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic