Forums

Topic: What constitutes a "mature" game?

Posts 21 to 40 of 51

rayword45

Magikarp wrote:

ironically, it's rating here was bumped from T to M solely because of said bewbs.

(it's also not listed on our eshop, never hinted to in advertising and every attempt has been made to brush it under the rug)

That's just sad. While avoiding any rants about sex and media in the US, an UNEXPOSED BREAST does not equal worse then games like Call of Duty 3 and Goldeneye 007 with visible blood spatter.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

Magikarp3

rayword45 wrote:

Magikarp wrote:

ironically, it's rating here was bumped from T to M solely because of said bewbs.

(it's also not listed on our eshop, never hinted to in advertising and every attempt has been made to brush it under the rug)

That's just sad. While avoiding any rants about sex and media in the US, an UNEXPOSED BREAST does not equal worse then games like Call of Duty 3 and Goldeneye 007 with visible blood spatter.

hah, let's not forget what happened last time in that violent video games topic. You're right a few posts ago, I was trying to discuss games which were deep in terms of gameplay or in story content. Shadow of the Colossus, for example, is a mature game. Not the killing giant monsters bit, but the story, the atmosphere of loneliness, the motivations behind the characters, they're all things which are definitely going to resonate more with mature gamers than with younger ones.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

Happy_Mask

rayword45 wrote:

Happy_Mask wrote:

What about No more heroes?

I meant gamers, not games. There are some decent M-rated titles like NMH2 and Madworld if you must. But Nintendo gamers typically don't rant about lack of gore. I've actually seen more cases where people claim to have hemophobia on sites like this.

You can't blame em, on account of the media's obsession with it, it's nice to see a company that still maintains a non gory reputation. :3

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

Hokori

Magikarp wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

@TJ DOAD is T and it haz boobs

ironically, it's rating here was bumped from T to M solely because of said bewbs.

(it's also not listed on our eshop, never hinted to in advertising and every attempt has been made to brush it under the rug)

Really? aww cool I bought an M game on my own before I turned 18 and now I have 2 rare cases on games, T rated DOAD and Resident Evil Revlitions

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of...

CanisWolfred

Ah yes, another word that has been b******ized over the years. A mature game is supposed to be something that would only appeal to those of a mature mind. Something whose elements are used in a carefully-thought-out manner, which those with less experience would not get. Take death for example: Lots of blood and gore all over the place is something a child would be able to comprehend. A psychological insight into the experience of death, or coming to grips with loss, are both better examples of how to deal with death in a mature manner - something a young child probably could never comprehend.

A perfect example of a Mature game is the original Valkyrie Profile. Here was a game that dealt with the last moments of various individuals just before their deaths. That should be extremely moving if done correctly. Now, personally I felt it was a pretentious piece of trash, but I haven't played it since I was 15, so I'm still thinking of it with my 15 year old mind, when I simply didn't get it. All I remember about it was that it took forever to get to the gameplay sections, which sucked anyways. And I had to sit through long cutscenes with characters I didn't care about because, f***, why should I care about anyone? Obviously I just missed the point, and if I played it again, I'd probably enjoy it a lot more, not only because I'm 20 now, but also because twice now I have come close to death itself.

In conclusion, the average definition of maturity in gaming is wrong, that the true definition requires that the elements be handled with the kind of care only an experienced mind can give, and that it shouldn't be made to appeal to those who lack maturity.

I desperately need to stop thinking now...ouch...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Shining-Void

In all honesty bewbz shouldn't make a game M. The area below the waist, yes. Gore is the real contender here.

Shining-Void

Nintendo Network ID: Eternal-Cyprees

Happy_Mask

... I was just going by the esrb, lol.

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

Tricoloryoshi

@caniswolfred
That was deep , omg, I agree entirely to that, exept I don't know what that game is, that's amazing.
Though the only game I think about the same way in terms of like the whole appreciate it thing and how you appreciate it through personal experiences is probably persona 3 fes, I haven't beaten it but I've seen a playthrough of it ( I own it though).
Also when I post on this thread ill probably mention persona 3 fes, so you can expect that. :3

I izz anti-not good at teh grammerrzz.
If at first you don't succeed, ragequit.
Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.
Love is too mainstream, haters gonna hate~
my bio by @true_hero
Here is a link. Click it!!! щ(ಠ益ಠщ)

Nintendo Network ID: Tricoloryoshi

Meowpheel

A game usually gets the mature tag if it involves themes better suited for a mature audience, who have a better understanding of the situations depicted in these games.

Edited on by Meowpheel

Meowph, that's right!

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

CanisWolfred

Tricoloryoshi wrote:

@caniswolfred
That was deep , omg, I agree entirely to that, exept I don't know what that game is, that's amazing.
Though the only game I think about the same way in terms of like the whole appreciate it thing and how you appreciate it through personal experiences is probably persona 3 fes, I haven't beaten it but I've seen a playthrough of it ( I own it though).
Also when I post on this thread ill probably mention persona 3 fes, so you can expect that. :3

I actually think Persona 3 mishandles a few of its elements, but is otherwise very mature, yes. I look forward to seeing what you write.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Void

moomoo wrote:

How about one that applies to a mature audience in terms of age and thinking level? 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors is a good example. It's definitely not appropriate for younger audiences in terms of content, but the concepts the game discusses are ones that cannot be easily understood by the average 5-year-old as well.

I was going to make a sarcastic reply... But I like moomoo's response better, so I'll just second that.

I used to travel the stars, then I discovered Earth, and these incredibly addicting things called 'Video Games.'
And they said you couldn't buy happiness!

RR529

HarmoKnight wrote:

Magikarp wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

@TJ DOAD is T and it haz boobs

ironically, it's rating here was bumped from T to M solely because of said bewbs.

(it's also not listed on our eshop, never hinted to in advertising and every attempt has been made to brush it under the rug)

Really? aww cool I bought an M game on my own before I turned 18 and now I have 2 rare cases on games, T rated DOAD and Resident Evil Revlitions

The rating was only changed to M in Australia, @HarmoKnight. It's still T in the U.S.

Avatar: Kagero (FE Fates: Birthright)

Currently Playing: Samurai Warriors: Katana

Recently Beat: Shantae & the Pirate's Curse, Tales of Vesperia, Kirby's Dream Land 2

Tricoloryoshi

@caniswolfred
I'm not actually good with the whole "being deep" thing so really what I write is likely going to be me raving about what I like about the game and if it isnt that then it's going to be a rant about first person shooters. but i guess I could try something better.

I izz anti-not good at teh grammerrzz.
If at first you don't succeed, ragequit.
Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.
Love is too mainstream, haters gonna hate~
my bio by @true_hero
Here is a link. Click it!!! щ(ಠ益ಠщ)

Nintendo Network ID: Tricoloryoshi

KAHN

sex, drugs, language, blood, gore, rock 'n roll, this:

Edited on by KAHN

KAHN

Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

Knux

Moobs.

Knux

Lzeon

Tricoloryoshi wrote:

LZCatboi wrote:

Guns, guns, and profane 12-year-olds

Oh, sorry, forgot about the guns

Profane 12 year olds, that occurs too much, when I was 12, like all everyone would ever talk about is call of duty and mass murder and guns and explosions and blood and some other sixth thing. Actually they still do that a lot.
But then again, it hasn't been that long since I was 12...

When I was 12, we were playing Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64. Kids these days are so unspoiled

Nintendo Life Community Administrator

Splatoon Rank: S
Fates Castle ID: 15449-70849-36123-61987 (Revelation)
Smash characters: Yoshi, Shulk, and Corrin

My Sonyloggery

Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Lzeon

0LD_SK0OL_PUNK wrote:

sex, drugs, language, blood, gore, rock 'n roll, this:

Totally mature because kids would not be able to comprehend singing poop

Nintendo Life Community Administrator

Splatoon Rank: S
Fates Castle ID: 15449-70849-36123-61987 (Revelation)
Smash characters: Yoshi, Shulk, and Corrin

My Sonyloggery

Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Tricoloryoshi

I love the great mighty poo! It is the best thing ever!!

I izz anti-not good at teh grammerrzz.
If at first you don't succeed, ragequit.
Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.
Love is too mainstream, haters gonna hate~
my bio by @true_hero
Here is a link. Click it!!! щ(ಠ益ಠщ)

Nintendo Network ID: Tricoloryoshi

I-U

Magikarp wrote:

So with all these games which are graphically violent for the sake of graphic violence and "edginess", what would you say is a game which is truly designed for a mature audience?

It is hard to say. The idea of being a soldier, something that should be mature, has been glorified to young children in the form of, as an example, G.I. Joe cartoons and action figures. Same can be said about the role of being a murderer, Ghostface, for Halloween which too glorifies fear and horror to the masses for nearly all of October. Mature games will likely always, at the surface, be appealing to younger audiences, but will have elements that they would not understand without more maturity. A game I thought of while reading through responses is Dementium II. On the surface, it is a survival horror game with plenty of blood and gruesome scenes. These are concepts that the younger audience is likely to enjoy due to what has been glorified to them. Getting deeper though, there's material only a more mature individual would understand, such as William being messed up in the head and having possible hallucinations of letters from himself, a saner self. The rating system to me only seems to fit with the material of these games beyond their surface. Gore doesn't get the M, the reason behind the gore gets the M.

Favorite Game: Metroid Prime Hunters

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic