Forums

Topic: What are your religious views?

Posts 241 to 260 of 340

SupermarketZombies

J-Man don't bust a nut just because you found a girl lol...

Scared of the future, but bored with the past.

J-Man

@Zombies
lol. You caught me. I was just suprised.

J-Man

theblackdragon

Nathan wrote:

No, murder was sin beforehand too, and they may have had their consciences pricked even before knowing about Jesus, but they then realised more of the enormity of sin when they did.

killing in that fashion may have been justified by their prior system of morals and beliefs. call it sin all you like, but what is sin to you may not have been sin to them before they were converted.

Nathan wrote:

Yeah, defense is not murder though. And the people who know were the people who were there and had it documented, if you want to believe even that.

but who were those doing the documenting? biased missionaries? scientists believing they were doing a favor to the poor misguided peoples of the wilderness by bringing them civilization?

Nathan wrote:

Sorry, but the 'system' is not mine. I don't want anyone to follow me. I would just direct their thoughts to their Maker first.

I meant 'your' system in the sense of the system you follow. I did not mean it to say that you were the focus of what you believe. Between this example and the frog/child one, I'm starting to get tired of the hair-splitting.

Nathan wrote:

True. They could still look at a reflection of themselves in water and realise that everything around them had been there before they were, and know that no human or themselves made it or them. And so he can cry out in his heart, "I know I didn't make myself, and I know that nobody here made the things around me... I don't know where you are, or who you are.. but... help me!" And God will respond.

... and how do you know that a native didn't do just that, and that an entire panthenon of gods weren't built from that one experience? You are trying to say that ultimately an isolated group of humans in the jungles of wherever would be suddenly struck by the revelation that Jesus is their savior (as opposed to some native entity/entities), when in reality there is no telling how such an encounter would be interpreted or what would come of it afterward. While it is great that you hold such strong beliefs, I do not echo them.

Nathan wrote:

Interesting thing to say, since the disciples of Jesus were very few in number, had no temporal, worldly power, and yet Jesus' message which they bore spread all over the empire and throughout the world.

but the message does not control the world or how the world works. you may believe it to be so, and i will admit that certain aspects of society have been influenced by christian beliefs, but society is not dominated nor its rules dictated by christianity alone, and society (western society, anyway; i can't really speak for eastern, i suppose) is still changing even now to accept things that go against certain strong christian beliefs (homosexuality, for one, though there are people who call themselves christians and support it, and i've heard christian arguments both for and against accepting it, so your mileage may vary on that one).

also, @J-Man, i think i posted my myspace in the 'contact info' thread. just so you know, though, I'm married, lol.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

AlexSays

J-Man wrote:

Wow! Your a girl? Sorry to be off topic but do you have a myspace?

Of all the pick up lines....

AlexSays

Adam

I think that post tops even Corbie's about his video game religion. This thread is certainly productive.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Machu

And I MUST stay away from it...

EDIT: Just delete it NL, please! You know its only gonna cause trouble eventually. It's getting close to the weekend and I may 'accidently' post something whilst 'accidently' drunk! (Don't worry, we'll come down on you if you do )

Edited on by Nanaki

Rawr!

Nathan

theblackdragon wrote:

but who were those doing the documenting? biased missionaries? scientists believing they were doing a favor to the poor misguided peoples of the wilderness by bringing them civilization?

Everyone has a bias.

theblackdragon wrote:

I meant 'your' system in the sense of the system you follow. I did not mean it to say that you were the focus of what you believe. Between this example and the frog/child one, I'm starting to get tired of the hair-splitting.

I don't mean to hair-split. I just want clear communication.

theblackdragon wrote:

... and how do you know that a native didn't do just that, and that an entire panthenon of gods weren't built from that one experience? You are trying to say that ultimately an isolated group of humans in the jungles of wherever would be suddenly struck by the revelation that Jesus is their savior (as opposed to some native entity/entities), when in reality there is no telling how such an encounter would be interpreted or what would come of it afterward. While it is great that you hold such strong beliefs, I do not echo them.

No, they would not be struck by the realisation that Jesus is their saviour. What I'm saying is that they would realise that there is a Being above nature. And that this Being must have created them and it (the Earth, sky, etc.). The pantheon of gods that you claim they would worship instead would just be mere representations of nature (which has been the case in history where human nature suppressed the truth about God that is inherent in them, and focuses on the creation as creator instead. Kinda like the belief in evolution). And of course there is the worship associated with Nimrod, Semiramis, that sprung into sun-worship, moon worship (Allah was a moon god)... etc.

Your view of these things will be determined by your starting assumptions. If you assume that the God doesn't exist, nor anything supernatural at all, then you have to come up with an explanation for the origin of all things, including us. And by the way, evolution is an old religion. In fact, you can find it paralleled in the Kabbala, which is rabidly against Jesus.

Edited on by Nathan

Brawl friend code: 1418-8149-4165

theblackdragon

@Nathan: i do not believe the hypothetical native would have reacted in the same manner you think he would have, and i do not believe that his own beliefs that he came up with all on his own were/are any less important or socially valid than the ones you and others like you hold today. as there is nothing you or anyone else can say to change my mind, and nothing i have said has similarly impacted you, any further discussion here is time i could be better spending leveling my party, getting to Monstro Town, past the Troopa wall and the Smilax, and then climbing those stupid spring-looking vine-things up into Nimbus Land. :3

i've said my peace, and i won't be returning to this discussion. I also will not be bringing any of this up in other threads, and i'm cool with everyone who has posted here in this one, including you. enjoy your night.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

The_Fox

Kizzi wrote:

One last thing, just think about where you will be spending eternity.

I already know I'll be spending my post-life: Roaming the countryside as a zombie eating tasty, tasty human brains.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Stuffgamer1

Even if theblackdragon will not be returning here, I feel the need to refute her responce to my last post.

About divorce: In days gone by, people were more careful and sesible about marriage in the first place, because they believed it was a Holy institution (which it is, of course, set up by God starting with Adam and Eve). People didn't rush into destructive relationships so often, and were able to tell the difference between a horrible marriage they SHOULD get out of and one that just needs some work from both sides. It is important to remember that America was founded by Christians, for Christians, so the modern trends away from that should obviously mean something.

As for the crimes: I was comparing now with 100 years ago, not now with 15-20 years ago, which is all those charts covered.

I hadn't planned on replying again myself, honestly, but the nature of the responce I received made it seem necessary, as there was clearly a misunderstanding about my previous post.

My Backloggery Updated sporadically. Got my important online ID's on there, anyway. :P

Nintendo Network ID: Stuffgamer1

Nanaki

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

It is important to remember that America was founded by Christians, for Christians, so the modern trends away from that should obviously mean something.

By Christians, probably; for Christians, no.

Read this article

Extract:

Those who insist that America was founded as a Christian nation run roughshod over the historical record. They use the words of the Founding Fathers to support Republican jeremiads on the moral decay of American life. If only this country could return to its Christian roots, they say nostalgically, everything would be okay.

And how do they demonstrate that America was founded as a Christian nation? By selectively choosing texts from the writings of the Founders without any effort to explore them in the context of the 18th-century world in which they were written. Just because John Adams and George Washington quoted from the Bible or made reference to God does not mean that they were trying to construct a Christian nation. Granted, the Founding Fathers were the products of a Christian culture, but most of them were never comfortable with the beliefs that defined this culture. Very few of them would qualify for membership in today's evangelical churches.

Nanaki

Nathan

theblackdragon wrote:

@Nathan: i do not believe the hypothetical native would have reacted in the same manner you think he would have, and i do not believe that his own beliefs that he came up with all on his own were/are any less important or socially valid than the ones you and others like you hold today. as there is nothing you or anyone else can say to change my mind, and nothing i have said has similarly impacted you, any further discussion here is time i could be better spending leveling my party, getting to Monstro Town, past the Troopa wall and the Smilax, and then climbing those stupid spring-looking vine-things up into Nimbus Land. :3

i've said my peace, and i won't be returning to this discussion. I also will not be bringing any of this up in other threads, and i'm cool with everyone who has posted here in this one, including you. enjoy your night.

That's cool. Thanks. You have a good one too, ok.

Brawl friend code: 1418-8149-4165

clicketyclick

Yeesh, reading over this thread makes me thank god I'm an atheist.

Now Playing: Bioshock

y2josh

I believe in a higher being, but you just made me LOL clicketyclick

y2josh

The_Fox

Nanaki wrote:

Stuffgamer1 wrote:

It is important to remember that America was founded by Christians, for Christians, so the modern trends away from that should obviously mean something.

By Christians, probably; for Christians, no.

Read this article

Extract:

Those who insist that America was founded as a Christian nation run roughshod over the historical record. They use the words of the Founding Fathers to support Republican jeremiads on the moral decay of American life. If only this country could return to its Christian roots, they say nostalgically, everything would be okay.

And how do they demonstrate that America was founded as a Christian nation? By selectively choosing texts from the writings of the Founders without any effort to explore them in the context of the 18th-century world in which they were written. Just because John Adams and George Washington quoted from the Bible or made reference to God does not mean that they were trying to construct a Christian nation. Granted, the Founding Fathers were the products of a Christian culture, but most of them were never comfortable with the beliefs that defined this culture. Very few of them would qualify for membership in today's evangelical churches.

I've honestly tried to stay away from the debate going on here, but those whom claim America was clearly founded as a Christian nation hits one of my pet peeves. It just shows incredible historical naivete. Nanaki sums it up nicely, I believe.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Adam

Everyone knows by now that the founding fathers were illuminati.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

rodoubleb

There are 4,200 base religions around the world. One base religion, such as christianity, has 39,000 sects of varying practice. World wide the total number of religious variations is infinite because they are being formed and changing all the time.

I can tolerate them all except those idiots who believe their religion is the one true religion.

Edited on by rodoubleb

rodoubleb

Kknight

@Kizzi & @SuperSonic1990:

I know I'm a little late to be responding to this since I didn't have time to reply yesterday, but I still think it is worth posting. I am a Christian and a Young-Earth Creationist, so I agree with the points that you are trying to debate...BUT, I think that the WAY you are debating them is doing more harm than good...

You are using "evidence" that is either easily debunked or has been disproven, you are directing people to websites that are not professional and don't cite sources, and when you are debating with people that don't believe in the Bible, you can't use the Bible as a primary proof.

That is all I'm going to say on this matter because A) I don't have time to participate in a debate here and B) I don't think this is the place for it, but I did feel it was worth pointing that out. If anyone is interested in debating these issues, I will again suggest taking the debate to the www.rr-bb.com Apologetics forum where that type of debate is welcomed.

Edited on by Kknight

Now Playing DS: Scribblenauts; M&L: BIS--Just Finished: Picross--Backlog: Layton 2; Spirit Tracks
Now Playing Wii: Little King's Story--Just Finished: NSMBWii--Backlog: Boy and His Blob

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.