Forums

Topic: What are you listening to right now?

Posts 201 to 220 of 2,108

skywake

@bimmy-lee
Flying Microtonal Banana is probably the best from this year with Polygondwanaland a close second. Though with five albums released one one year it's kinda hard to get a handle on where they all rank. Usually you get a chance to let the previous album from an artist settle in your mind before being able to compare!

edit:
BTW if you ask Google Home what albums King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard has released this year it'll list three before saying "and others".

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JoeDiddley

I picked up Steve Reich’s ECM recordings yesterday. I’m being transported by Music For 18 Musicians.

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

spizzamarozzi

bimmy-lee wrote:

@spizzamarozzi - Another interesting haul. I’m curious if you’re able to buy such niche (and I assume possibly rare) genres locally or if you shop online? Probably both I imagine. More to add to my list to investigate.

@bimmy-lee during the year I shop both locally and on ebay, but these were all bought locally. I never get packages sent in December as the risk of them getting stolen, damaged or lost is very high.
I'm lucky enough to live near a record shop which we (the regular customers) have made into the headquarters of our little community of music friends — it's a bit like in the movie High Fidelty.

Thing is, when you shop for records online you become a bit like a race horse — since you can find anything you want, you become unaware of your surroundings. In real record shops you might not find exactly what you're looking for, but if you take the time to look through the shelves you may find other stuff that you wouldn't have bought online.

One example from my haul is McCoy Tyner's Atlantis, an album which none of us had heard about before. I found it in the jazz section and the cover art got me interested, so I decided to put it on the shop's Hi-Fi to give it a try. We were all mesmerized by how great it sounded and how the piano and the drums really convey the idea of being swept by the waves that brought down Atlantis. Needless to say, after the first track ended, everyone in the shop wanted a copy!

Ebay I use for the more obvious/commercial stuff, since the 2nd hand market on the internet is enormous. If I wanted to get a Neil Young album, or a Joni Mitchell album for cheap, I would probably look on ebay. I never bought anything on Discogs but I think I might place a couple of orders next week, but that's just for really obscure and foreign stuff that I've been wanting for centuries and has never been printed in Europe.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

bimmy-lee

@spizzamarozzi - I buy in much the same way, though my purchases and outings have slowed a bit since my daughter was born three years ago. I really only buy online for something specific and like to leave the bulk of my purchases up to fate. On a whim, I’ve plucked albums off racks for as little as 50 cents with no prior knowledge of the band that have become classics in my home.

Before I became a dad, I had a little circuit of record stores, junk shops, swap meets and antique stores I would run every Saturday looking for things I collect (with pub stops in between). I still get out, but only about once a month, and I never make it to all my old stops in a single afternoon any more. I envy the community of music lovers you have. It’s really great to listen with others and share thoughts. I have friends on both coasts who send me albums and vice versa, and we call or write each other about them, but nothing beats listening together in person.

@skywake - I’ll give one or both of them a spin tonight. I checked, and I can definitely stream Flying Microtonal Banana. I’ve always meant to listen up on them more than I have. I grew up in a small town with a little, family owned restaurant known for their fried chicken gizzards, so I really should add more King Gizzard to my gizzard experience.

@aesc - I haven’t had a lot of time today to follow up, but I was interested in that trio of bands when I read your post this morning because I’m unfamiliar. I briefly checked out Vildhjarta. I had them on YT in the background while I was working on a few things, and I was surprised when I finally watched a video and saw that it’s actually two lead singers. Not sure I can think of a band that uses two lead singers whose only function is vocals. Pretty interesting.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

bimmy-lee

Auld Lang Syne. Happy 2018 friends.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Lunaria

Just listening to some vocaloid metal.

Lunaria

Switch Friend Code: SW-4741-0039-3035 | 3DS Friend Code: 0448-0967-2895

spizzamarozzi

So my first order through discogs had just arrived. A huge loot of brain melting japanese psychedelia from the '70s which never even got distributed here. I email the seller telling him that everything looks immaculate. And then the seller says "btw those belonged to a DJ who passed away last year".
FFS. That is a first for me.
I've never owned anything that came from the collection of somebody who passed away. Feels kinda weird. But this guy must have been a first rate DJ to have this kind of stuff in his collection. And it's great that these records went to somebody else (me) who's going to play them and love them just like the previous owner. I will try my best not to die though.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

Vinny

Modal Soul (Nujabes) and X&Y (Coldplay).

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Datasun_7

Very much enjoying Strawberry jam by Animal Collective and I love you, Honeybear by Father John Misty at the moment

Proud Samus main for ssb4!
Hyped for Capt. Toad, Yoshis woolly world, Mario maker and splatoon in the first half of 2015
Wii U, 3DS and PS4 owner

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1379-1446 | Nintendo Network ID: Datasun_7

RancidVomit86

Been listening to The Sword and VHS or Beta this morning

The Sword

and

VHS or Beta

Anyone who hasn't heard VHS or Beta I highly recommend them. I saw them as an opener for Electric Six once and was hooked.

@bimmy-lee You ever check out Immortal? IMO they are the god kings of black metal.

Edited on by RancidVomit86

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Late

I've been listening to TWEWY music after the Final Remix announcement for Switch. Twister-Crossover is a good way to hype myself up.

Also, Rise Against's Hero of War.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

RancidVomit86

Wife was in Houston this weekend so I had to tell her to listen to some good Houston rap. Although she didn't know what Texas Tea was lol. She later asked her cousin who is a pharmacy tech in Port Arthur and found out.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

bimmy-lee

@RancidVomit86 - Hey man, sorry, been away from the site for the last week or so. Yeah, I’ve definitely checked them out. I’ve listened to probably three or four albums now, and I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve heard. I haven’t read up on them yet, so I don’t know much about them other than the music. I thought that RL Grime video you posted was cool. I had heard of him, but never heard his music.

@spizzamarozzi - Probably a third of my vinyl collection has come directly from collections of the dearly departed. Mainly from auctions and estate sales, a box or two at a time. One time I did buy several hundred albums at one particularly good auction, but I ended up selling or giving away at least half of them. I think it’s kind of fun to keep them spinning and carry on the legacy.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

Matthew010

Don't know if anyone's posted this before, but a Nintendo Music YouTuber has a 24/7 livestream which I'll link below:

Matthew010

bimmy-lee

@Malcrash - That’s one of the great pinball table themes. If there had been a movie made in 1989 about a teen getting real good at pinball, this theme would have played during the training montage.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Gandalfthe_Black

I was just listening to Beethoven's 5th Symphony

Gandalfthe_Black

skywake

Unknown Mortal Orchestra are one of my favourite bands. Their new single is a lot more impressive than I expected. Needless to say I'm pretty hyped for their new album if this is what we can expect:

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic