Forums

Topic: What are you listening to right now?

Posts 181 to 200 of 2,097

skywake

A different sort of post for this thread, what I have been listening to over the last 10 years. Because I have logged just about every song I have listened to for the last decade. Here's a graph showing the change in artists that appeared in my top 5 artists in a month.

It's a bit hard to read but basically if the same artist was my most listened to artist for 6 months in a row? It'd get 1/3rd of the area for that 6 month block. On the other hand if an artist was my 5th most listened to artist for one month? It'd take up 1/90th of the area. If I'm listening to the same stuff month after month it'll be super flat. If I'm listening to entirely different sorts of artists every month? Lots of tiny triangles.

Untitled

A couple of changes to the way I listen to music are visible in this. Firstly the launch of spotify and other music streaming services in Australia (2012). A massive jump in the variety of artists I listened to in a given month. Then more recently I've started to listen to more of my own collection again by syncing needlessly complex playlists to my phone (2015).

Possibly more interesting is the way I went from listening to Silverchair and Smashing Pumpkins to Deerhoof and Sonic Youth and then more recently Blur and Radiohead. Which makes sense because I have pretty much the entire discography for all of them. Especially earlier on when my collection was smaller. But it's still interesting to see how the style of music I listen to has changed.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

spizzamarozzi

december loot thus far

Untitled

December is a strange time of the year when it comes to buying music. I never buy online in Dec. because packages get easily lost under Christmas, so most of the stuff I buy has to come from the local shop. This means I don't get much of a choice as I do online and have to stick with what they offer. That's why I end up buying records I wouldn't buy under different circumstances.

if anyone's interested in the titles, l to r:

1st row
Neil Young - Hawks & Doves (1980, one of the many hit 'n miss records after Zuma)
Keith - The Adventures of Keith (1969, mysterious singer a-la Scott Walker with terrific haircut)
Michael Head & Red Elastic Band (2017, first new album in 10 years by Liverpool legendary songsmith)

2nd row
Le Orme - Ad Gloriam (1969, superb italian beat-psych)
Le Orme - Collage (1971, much heavier and organ driven sound - check the cover art!)
Le Orme - Felona e Sorona (1973, full progressive)

3rd row
Peter Hammill - Fool's Mate (1971, first solo album by Van Der Graaf Generator's brain)
Nara Leão - Nara (1964, absolutely beautiful brasilian bossa nova singer - a gem)
Edu Lobo - Cantiga de longe (1970, experimental singer-songwriter from Brasil)

Edited on by spizzamarozzi

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

skywake

Was listening to quite a lot of King Gizzard's live performances on youtube this weekend
A link to one of the best of them: https://youtu.be/MI_XU1iKRRc

In terms of music recently got? the New King Gizzard album is a legit free download, so I got a copy of that. I also brought one of their earlier albums "I'm in Your Mind Fuzz" on Google Play because I figured I'd streamed it enough that I want to have a truly portable copy of it. As you can probably tell I'm really into King Gizzard ATM. Lastly I got a few CDs when Amazon Australia launched, Ben Folds and Dune Rats

Edited on by skywake

TheMudHutDweller

What am I listening to right now? Well, I was just listening to the muffled screams of some vagrant that I'd lured into my home with the promise of a hearty meal. He was quite the struggler for someone so emaciated, but my new bolster pillow did its magic.

I'm actually listening to a compilation by a Japanese band called Polysics. There's a surprisingly good cover of The Knack's My Sharona on the CD. It's pretty strong throughout, but New Wave Jacket, some utterly mental electro surfer punk thing, has to be my favourite track on the disc.

Oh, and I'm also recently been listening to quite a lot of arcade, Sharp X68000 and Mega Drive VGM stuff.

Edited on by TheMudHutDweller

TheMudHutDweller

Inertiacreep

Lately been playing the sh** out of Gladys Knight and the Pips, Melanie Fiona and dabbling with H.E.R and Tiara Thomas

Inertiacreep

Dizzy_Boy
Dizzy_Boy

@TheMudHutDweller a few of those tracks I listed are from '92. So, I suppose those are really hardcore as drum and bass wasn't really a thing at that point.
I have most of those tracks on vinyl,and I end up sticking them in with my old school drum and bass sets anyway. So, I end up classing them as drum and bass anyway.

Dizzy_Boy

Twitter:

bimmy-lee

Been doing a LOT of Christmas music this month, but I’m making room tonight for a Sun Records spotlight on Johnny Powers and Charlie Feathers.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

JoeDiddley

Still John Coltrane at the moment, a bit of Bach as its Christmas, and Wu-Tang Clan.

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

Deku-Scrub

Been listening to some Super Mario Sunshine recently, I really like the music

Deku-Scrub

Joycon Boy Forever

Currently Playing:
Switch: Fire Emblem: Three Houses
3DS: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
PS4: Persona 5, Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

kobashi100

So UK rappers Jam Baxter and Ed Scissor hands released a new album same day as Eminem.

Listened to both and my god, Eminem revival album has to be his worst album. Worse than relapse and I never thought I would say that.

As for Jam Baxter & Ed Scissor hands laminated cakes album is fire!!!

Edited on by kobashi100

kobashi100

Inertiacreep

I saw some of the people in here listen to techno... so theres this techno song from the 90s maybe early 2000s that I have been dying to find. It has a child or a girl sampled saying "i want to be a good christian" ... does anyone know this?

Inertiacreep

bimmy-lee

Playing Monopoly Gamer (CE) and blasting The Legend of Blind Joe Death by John Fahey. Beautiful, super precise slide guitar work by a git box master.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

spizzamarozzi

Untitled

The highlights of the second half of December — crazy month, as I managed to buy 29 records in 30 days (if shops were open tomorrow I would probably buy a couple more to make it 31). This month has been all about jazz and brazilian, japanese and italian psychedelia. A few of these records demanded a price slightly higher than the usual I am willing to pay, but overal they are all excellent albums. Curiously enough, in 2017 I bought the exact same amount of records as I did in 2016 — never happened before. If anybody's curious:

top row:
Peter Green - The End of the Game ('70, psychedelic blues jam from founding member of Fleetwood Mac)
Cold Sun - Dark Shadows ('70, recently unearthed psych mastodon by Texas band)
Os Brazões - Os Brazões ('69, psych garage from Gal Costa's early backing band)
McCoy Tyner - Atlantis ('75, superb jazz, almost feels like you're being swept by the waves of Atlantis)

centre row:
Lula Côrtes - Rosa de Sangue ('80, psychedelic folk from northern Brazil)
Lula Côrtes e Zé Ramalho - Paêbirú ('75 cornestone record for brazilian psychedelia)
Lenine - Na Pressão ('99 excellent brazilian modern singer/songwriter)
Milton Nascimento & Lô Borges - Clube da Esquina ('72 some consider it the brazilian Sgt. Pepper)

bottom row:
Far East Family Band - Nipponjin ('75 heavy japanese psych/space rock)
Far East Family Band - Tenkujin ('77 their last record, still spacey but much more prog oriented)
Masahiko Satoh - Amalgamation ('71 heavily improvised free music, cross between jazz, psych and tribal)
J. A. Seazer - 邪宗門 (Jashumon) ('72 brain melting japanese psych once used as soundtrack to Nō theatre performances)

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

skywake

For the 5th time this year I can say that I'm listening to King Gizzard's new album. They did it, they f****ng did it, five albums in one year. The absolute madmen. And to top if it off it's actually not that bad either.

Edited on by skywake

bimmy-lee

Just revisited Electriclarryland by Butthole Surfers for the first time since the late 90s. I like it tonight more than I did then. It will remain in my rotation for a while.

@spizzamarozzi - Another interesting haul. I’m curious if you’re able to buy such niche (and I assume possibly rare) genres locally or if you shop online? Probably both I imagine. More to add to my list to investigate.

@skywake - That’s incredible output. If I were to listen to just one King Gizzard album from this year, which would you recommend?

limby-bee was a jerk.

Magic1636

Right now I’m going back and forth between Eminem: Revival and Hollywood Undead: Five

Magic1636

Switch Friend Code: SW-7296-5752-0023

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic