Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 601 to 620 of 12,088

Geonjaha

Dreamz wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

I understand your concept in theory, but it probably wouldn't work for any series. If someone was unfamiliar with JRPGs and their first Final Fantasy was 13, they'd probably not even bother trying any other Final Fantasy. Heck, half the people who were into Final Fantasy didn't even bother trying another. 13-2 had a 50% drop off in sales. 13-3 dropped off another 70%. That's a pretty darn high rate of abandon.

A significant part of that is probably due to the main character for 13. When your own series' fans are calling her Blandy McPinkhair, that should probably tell you that creating not one but two different sequels with her isn't a stroke of marketing genius.

Unfortunately with the Final Fantasy series now, it's less about what the consumers want and more about what the creators want to make a game about (ie. A really unpopular boring character). Meanwhile their current tactic with their other famously popular JRPG series is not releasing the (5) newest games outside of Japan. Thanks Squeenix.

Edited on by Geonjaha

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Dezzy

CaviarMeths wrote:

It's really close, and I'm still not sure which I find subjectively better. Objectively, Trigger is better.

That's one of the most insane sentences I've ever read! What on earth is this objective standard you seem to have? Any why has no-one else heard of it?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Geonjaha

Dezzy wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

It's really close, and I'm still not sure which I find subjectively better. Objectively, Trigger is better.

That's one of the most insane sentences I've ever read! What on earth is this objective standard you seem to have? Any why has no-one else heard of it?

Exactly. Speaking outside of a technical standpoint I don't see what criteria you're using there.

Geonjaha

kkslider5552000

Presumably the same way I mean Final Fantasy XIII has an objectively terrible story, in that writing stories allow creativity but also have standards and guidelines and ideas that are frequently followed (why creative writing classes are a thing for example) because they ultimately tend to work. And also because if you went in-depth enough it could get difficult to fully justify why one is better than the other.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

HappyHappyist

JRPGs are some of the worst games I've played. Stories are generally about as good as a bad anime and the combat is complete trash.

Edited on by HappyHappyist

i am part of a social group interested in uniting the world by painting it blue.
Blue blue.

AugustusOxy

I like the Other M a lot more than I liked the Metroid Prime series. I felt the FPS concept was a cop out and far less interesting than a full blown action third person game. Sure the controls on the other M sucked, but the visual style was far less americanized than the prime series, and retained much of its japanese heritage.

I think if the game mechanics would be refined and an actual element of third person 'aim and shoot' had been added to the game, coupled with the melee and fast dodge... you probably would have had an awesome game.

Also I think Majora's Mask is a thousand times better than Ocarina of Time, that Lucario looks stupid, and Mario Kart Wii is the best game in the series.

Sunglasses. Seriously, I hate all the mario karts for handhelds and their simplistic, crap courses.

https://www.facebook.com/AgumonForSuperSmashBrothers4 — Agumon for SmashBros!

LzWinky

Funny that. Metroid Prime was developed in America

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Dezzy

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Presumably the same way I mean Final Fantasy XIII has an objectively terrible story, in that writing stories allow creativity but also have standards and guidelines and ideas that are frequently followed (why creative writing classes are a thing for example) because they ultimately tend to work. And also because if you went in-depth enough it could get difficult to fully justify why one is better than the other.

I kinda get what you're saying. But that's still not really objectivity because those standards and guidelines are themselves subjective (in the sense that people have to agree upon them otherwise they're meaningless).
And on top of that: do people follow these writing styles because they 'work'? Or do we just think they work because we've been taught to follow them.
And that's not actually rhetorical, I don't know the answer.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

LzWinky

I was never taught to read a freaking wall of text on top of dialogue to understand a story...

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CanisWolfred

HappyHappyist wrote:

JRPGs are some of the worst games I've played. Stories are generally about as good as a bad anime and the combat is complete trash.

What games have you played? If you're gonna give me a gun, you may as well give me the ammo, too.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Aviator

Geonjaha wrote:

Unfortunately with the Final Fantasy series now, it's less about what the consumers want and more about what the creators want to make a game about.

God forbid a developer make a game they want to make!

How dare they.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

HappyHappyist wrote:

What games have you played? If you're gonna give me a gun, you may as well give me the ammo, too.

the bad ones I assume

even as a fan, I'll fully admit JRPGs can frequently be anime stories except you have a higher tolerance for dumb things

most of the post-VI Final Fantasies are great examples of this, even the ones I like

he's still wrong but still...

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CanisWolfred

Aviator wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

Unfortunately with the Final Fantasy series now, it's less about what the consumers want and more about what the creators want to make a game about.

How dare they.

I know what you mean. I actually miss the days of creative freedom for developers. You do the best you can, make something you'd want to play, and hope to god someone else agrees with you. I feel like even indies are losing ground there, what with the Kickstarter movement causing the fans to have a reasonable investment in what indie developers create - Now you have to give them what they want, or else they'll feel cheated.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LzWinky

Aviator wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

How dare they.

That's not exactly a good thing. Sometimes you can surprise consumers with new elements. ...and sometimes you can have trash like Final Fantasy XIII

CanisWolfred

Unca_Lz wrote:

Aviator wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

How dare they.

That's not exactly a good thing. Sometimes you can surprise consumers with new elements. ...and sometimes you can have trash like Final Fantasy XIII

Nor is giving people "what they want" the answer. Sometimes you get games people like, and sometimes you get Resident Evil 6. The point is that if you like it, someone's bound to agree. You're forgetting that there are people who like Final Fantasy XIII (and yes, there are tons of people who like Resident Evil 6, I was using it as an example because it caused a backlash and alienated a lot of the core fans, therefore proving that trying to please everyone isn't any more effective), the game was divisive, not universally hated. The goal of a media product should be to make something to the best of your abilities that people will enjoy, which is its usually easiest to accomplish when you try to make something you yourself would like. (because if you can't please yourself, how are you going to please others?) Not like it's possible to please everyone, anyways, so you may as well please yourself.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dreamz

Agreed. Most gamers don't even know what they want, and listening to them beyond token feedback is rarely a good idea.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

CaviarMeths

Dezzy wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

There is a such thing as bad art.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Geonjaha

Aviator wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

How dare they.

There's a big difference between making your own frnachise for a character and using an existing one to push a character that no one but yourself cares about. Listening to consumers is necessary to an extent; they're the ones buying your game don'tcha know?

Geonjaha

ITAFTRS
  • The Bayonetta trailer makes me puke, because it's SO sexist! - I admit it's a great game, but I nevertheless think Ocarina of Time is a bit overrated. - I dislike all the various ways there are regarding evolving your Pokemon, think it'd be much nicer if they evolved ONLY by means of levelling up.

ITAFTRS

LyIa

I got Super Mario World on VC today! A great game, but I hate the change in the audio style. Glad they use the high-pitched classic sounds in the newer games.

all men are kings 👑

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic