Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 5,641 to 5,660 of 12,088

RancidVomit86

I'm tired of seeing people use the "Sega only cares about mediocre Sonic games" b.s. While Sega is terrible at utilizing their backlog of I.P.'s it's still just foolish to say that and shows me 2 things.

1. You don't follow Sega releases and shouldn't be speaking on the matter.
Or
2. You just latch onto whatever you see people saying on the internet.

We don't even have a Sonic game slated for 2018. Sega is pushing some other I.P.'s to the west but, as is popular, no one will acknowledge that. Calling Sonic games mediocre is also another lack of acknowledgment, mixed bag sure they have been, but we've seen some really great games recently also. Sonic Generations, Colors and Mania were all lots of fun and Lost World wasn't terrible either.

Sega have just become the internet punching bag and mostly without cause. I think it a lot of stims from youtubers who make ranting videos on games and are always just looking for something to complain about. Its almost as bad as the "this game is one of the worst ever but I've never played it" people who just say that cause they see it on the internet but that's another post for another day.

Edited on by RancidVomit86

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

LuckyLand

Sega have never been able to develop their IPs in the long run. Very often the best episode was the first one and then they stopped making new games or made disappointing games like Sonic recent ones.
I like Sonic Unleashed and enjoy Sonic Generations (and I think Sonic Mania is a great game but it was developed by fans, not by Sega itself) but Sonic at first was a game that could compete with the best Nintendo games of its time (I prefer Sonic 1 than any 2D Super Mario game), today even when they are appreciable, or at least enjoyable, they simply are not on the same level anymore. They are on the same level of rather mediocre Nintendo games like Yoshi New Island at best. Usually worse, a lot worse. Sonic is not as much an internet punching bag as it would deserve TODAY only because of nostalgia and fans who either are fond of the franchise because they can't forget its great older games or youngsters who like the characters and treat those games like a tie in of their favourite cartoon - it is bad, but they will like it anyway.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

RancidVomit86

@LuckyLand You're making my point. Here's a company doing more than Sonic but all that can be talked about is Sonic. Here's a company who saw the potential these fans had of making a game, green lighted it and invested in them and still get stripped of any credit for it.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

LuckyLand

Here's a company who must have at least some awareness of how bad its reputation is today and who clearly see that everytime they try to make a new Sonic games people keeps criticizing them compared to the classic old games even when they find some good qualities in those newer games. Those fans who were able to made a game more similar to the older ones and more appreciated by many fans can be considered like a savior for Sega. That's another way you can put things. Also Sega decided to debase Sonic Mania and ruin what should have been its best ending to make it a cliffhanger to promote Sonic forces.
The fact that everybody remember Sega only for Sonic is probably due to the fact that Sonic is their only recurring IP. All their games have few episodes, sometimes only one of them, and often as I said only the first one is good. Other times newer episodes were less known widespread than the original (like Revenge of Death Adder - I don't even like it, I prefer the original Golden Axe but that's just my preference, usually people like it a lot. But many people have played the first Golden axe and never even heard of Revenge of Death adder).
Of course there is something that doesn't work the way it should when things like those happens and of course it is Sega's fault since Sega is responsible for its own games, for their quality and for the amount of audience they can reach

RancidVomit86

As they are also building brands like Yakuza and Valkyria in the West and with recent revivals of Daytona USA, Virtual-On and House of the Dead it shows they are interested in return of past I.P.'s.

They are a company forever stuck in they can do no right. If they promote Sonic, their largest and most profitable I.P., then people will bash them for it. If they shelf Sonic for bit and make efforts with others I.P.'s then no one will credit that. This is why they are the internet punching bag.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Let's Go Buffalo!

LuckyLand

In my opinion, the problem is just that in the past it happened to them to create some very iconic, great and influential games but they have never been able to turn this "inspiration of a moment" into a real, productive workflow. They have never been able to turn some great ideas and visions they had into something that could get reiterated and survive the test of time. There was a time when they were great artists but they've never been able to become good enough as artisans, as journeymans, to support in the long run the good things they made. It takes a good balance of both to do what Nintendo have been able to do, Sega completely lacked in the skills to turn it all into an efficient work system, that's why people despise them. People always compare Sega as a simple worker to what Sega can be (or at least was back then) as an artist, and as just a worker Sega can't live up to its reputation.

Edited on by LuckyLand

JoeyTS

I really enjoy Mario Party The Top 100...I honestly don't see why it gets so much hate.

UPDATE: Bowser just ate some cake and it was yummy

gcunit

@Imagamerboi Where's the hate?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

LzWinky

RancidVomit86 wrote:

Sega have just become the internet punching bag and mostly without cause. I think it a lot of stims from youtubers who make ranting videos on games and are always just looking for something to complain about. Its almost as bad as the "this game is one of the worst ever but I've never played it" people who just say that cause they see it on the internet but that's another post for another day.

Let me enlighten you:

Reason 1: Sega is actually not publishing or developing physical games that often. They are now focused on the digital market: https://www.giantbomb.com/sega/3010-62/published/

Reason 2: Sega royally screwed up the Sonic anniversary celebration. Matter of fact, Sonic makes up a plurality of their physical games lately.

Reason 3: A history of gross mismanagement made the current company a shell of their former self. I dare say their Japanese HQ sabotaged the entire company in the early 2000s.

Reason 4: Fans made a Sonic game that was critically acclaimed. Team Sonic followed up with a not-so-acclaimed game.

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

NaviAndMii

If Sonic Mania was 'Mario Mania' - Nintendo would've shut it down (no question about it) ..do SEGA not deserve any credit for deciding to pick the game up and publish it instead? ..it doesn't really matter whether it was developed by fans or in-house as far as I'm concerned - the end result is still the same; the game exists and people are enjoying it! ..if SEGA hadn't given it the green light, it'd have never seen the light of day - and that would've been a greater shame, surely?

I'm also a huge fan of the Football Manager series - again, not developed by SEGA themselves, but not ruined by SEGA either...many publishers get their hands on a franchise and run it in to the ground - SEGA, instead, have shown admirable faith and trust in the developers - and the series is still alive and kicking (and arguably better than ever) as a result. I've lost many a beloved series over the years to poor publishers - so I can only credit the ones that get it right (..I don't know whether that's true of all SEGA published games - but they get a 'thumbs up' for the way they've handled FM from me at least )

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

darkfenrir

Also Atlus is owned by Sega now, iirc. But it seems they are letting Atlus having very, very free reigns so far.

darkfenrir

Tarolusa

I wonder which of these opinions will annoy someone:
1) I think USUM (gen 7 as a whole really) gets way too much hate from the Pokemon fanbase and is just as good as the previous expanded games (e.g. Crystal, Emerald, Platinum)
2) I honestly think Other M is a decent game and is nowhere near as bad as the fanbase played it up to be
3) Link to the Past is my least favourite 2D Zelda Game while the Oracle games are my favourite 2D ones
4) Paper Jam was a really solid game that was treated very unfairly because it posed some resemblances to Sticker Star (e.g. generic landscapes, Toads being the only friendly NPCs, no new characters, very light on story)
5) The Fire Emblem Elitists are far more annoying than the Fire Emblem 3DS fans (which are bad as well but I always found the elitists to be much more insufferable)
6) Persona 3 is my favourite Persona game, while Persona 4 is probably my least favourite one

Edited on by Tarolusa

Tarolusa

LzWinky

NaviAndMii wrote:

If Sonic Mania was 'Mario Mania' - Nintendo would've shut it down (no question about it) ..do SEGA not deserve any credit for deciding to pick the game up and publish it instead? ..it doesn't really matter whether it was developed by fans or in-house as far as I'm concerned - the end result is still the same; the game exists and people are enjoying it! ..if SEGA hadn't given it the green light, it'd have never seen the light of day - and that would've been a greater shame, surely?

The point was against Sonic Forces really. I have no problems with Sonic Mania. These past few years have not been kind to the hedgehog, and Sega certainly isn't helping much.

I'm also a huge fan of the Football Manager series - again, not developed by SEGA themselves, but not ruined by SEGA either...many publishers get their hands on a franchise and run it in to the ground - SEGA, instead, have shown admirable faith and trust in the developers - and the series is still alive and kicking (and arguably better than ever) as a result. I've lost many a beloved series over the years to poor publishers - so I can only credit the ones that get it right (..I don't know whether that's true of all SEGA published games - but they get a 'thumbs up' for the way they've handled FM from me at least )

Sega does seem to be more hands-off compared to other publishers. However, I noted in the link above that they do not publish console games that often anymore.

Tarolusa wrote:

4) Paper Jam was a really solid game that was treated very unfairly because it posed some resemblances to Sticker Star (e.g. generic landscapes, Toads being the only friendly NPCs, no new characters, very light on story)

Paper Jam gets treated poorly because it is sloppy, generic, and mediocre compared to the other games. Matter of fact, Nintendo seemed hell-bent on making the Mario RPG series very mediocre during the 3DS/Wii U era.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Tarolusa

@TheLZdragon While I agree that Paper Jam is much more generic compared to other games in the series (I still enjoy but I can't deny it) and some people have genuine reasons for disliking it (such disliking the overabundance of toad minigames and the tediousness of those paper craft battles) I have seen plenty of people on social media websites such as Twitter and YouTube lambasting the game solely because it had similar problems with Sticker Star. I do agree with your last statement that Nintendo did have a real obsession with making the Mario RPG games extremely safe and generic during the 3DS/Wii U era but, in my opinion, I feel like Sticker Star was the only game that deserved the massive backlash it got.

Edited on by Tarolusa

Tarolusa

NaviAndMii

@TheLZdragon Yeah, that's fair - I mean, looking at my games collection, the last SEGA developed game that I bought and can honestly say that I enjoyed was Sonic Colours (way back in the Wii era!) ..not great!

I just wanted to mention a couple of positives, that's all - it's kind of sad where they've ended up, but they're not all bad!

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

RancidVomit86

I stand my opinions that they don't deserve all the flack they catch and it's just popular to poke at them. So, we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. Seems like most of my opinions aren't the most popular around here anyway so I'm used to it.

@DarthNocturnal is also correct. Sega is a force in the PC market for sure.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Let's Go Buffalo!

OdnetninAges

RancidVomit86 wrote:

I'm tired of seeing people use the "Sega only cares about mediocre Sonic games" b.s. While Sega is terrible at utilizing their backlog of I.P.'s it's still just foolish to say that and shows me 2 things.

1. You don't follow Sega releases and shouldn't be speaking on the matter.
Or
2. You just latch onto whatever you see people saying on the internet.

RancidVomit86 wrote:

As they are also building brands like Yakuza and Valkyria in the West and with recent revivals of Daytona USA, Virtual-On and House of the Dead it shows they are interested in return of past I.P.'s.

They are a company forever stuck in they can do no right. If they promote Sonic, their largest and most profitable I.P., then people will bash them for it. If they shelf Sonic for bit and make efforts with others I.P.'s then no one will credit that. This is why they are the internet punching bag.

THANK. YOU.

FINALLY someone else brings attention to this.

Heck, one of my favorite games from 2016 was 7th Dragon III, but of course nobody paid any attention to it.

Edited on by OdnetninAges

Console Usernames: Rc

HIGH QUALITY VIDEO GAME RIPS

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

My Anime List

Nintendo Network ID: Ages97

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic