Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 2,881 to 2,900 of 12,088

AlliMeadow

@Geonjaha: But if Nintendo implemented age restrictions, then they would be cutting off a large portion of their userbase. I think it's very easy for a parent to buy their kid a game rated 7 without any clause to it (such as parental controls, etc.) then to buy a game rated 7, but only if the parents go into the game and turn off some of the functionality and password protect it.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

Geonjaha

AlliMeadow wrote:

@Geonjaha: But if Nintendo implemented age restrictions, then they would be cutting off a large portion of their userbase. I think it's very easy for a parent to buy their kid a game rated 7 without any clause to it (such as parental controls, etc.) then to buy a game rated 7, but only if the parents go into the game and turn off some of the functionality and password protect it.

When the choice is between
A) Having the most shut off controlled experience ever, even for adults, preventing private communication and proper online experiences and...
B) Having parents set their consoles age restriction once (affecting all software), or even worst case scenario, doing it for the initial set up of a new game they buy.

I would have thought the choice was obvious. No other gaming platform inhibits its use so much just for the sake of keeping children 'safe'. Services that people love are shut down just because Nintendo has to cater its entire platform to children, instead of doing the sensible thing and doing what everyone else does, with parental restrictions.

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Socar

@Tubalcain: After what happened, Miyamoto-San and Takeda-San are the last to understand how games work. Most likely the CEO that would show up would be from the Yamauchi family and while that might be a good sign, it could also be a bad one.

........Iwata-San, why did you leave Nintendo so soon without finding a replacement?

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Hendesu

btw I don't like Ambiio party for A.C. It feels like a quick buck for Nintendo.

Let's not start things please
~Vader

Edited on by LaserdiscGal

Some random dude on Nintendo Life.
Toriel left for a while, so Freaky Fred took over her place!
Not changing this part of the signature until Nintendo announces Super Mario Sunshine 2.
[Started 10/31/15]

Nintendo Network ID: DarkSperow

AlliMeadow

Geonjaha wrote:

When the choice is between
A) Having the most shut off controlled experience ever, even for adults, preventing private communication and proper online experiences and...
B) Having parents set their consoles age restriction once (affecting all software), or even worst case scenario, doing it for the initial set up of a new game they buy.

I would have thought the choice was obvious. No other gaming platform inhibits its use so much just for the sake of keeping children 'safe'. Services that people love are shut down just because Nintendo has to cater its entire platform to children, instead of doing the sensible thing and doing what everyone else does, with parental restrictions.

I would go for option A, many kids today are better when it comes to technology than their parents. If I as a parent could go out and buy a product for my kids that was suitable for them, without having to do anything for it to be suitable, I would definitely choose that option over an option where I have to learn how to prevent my children from getting access to certain things. I'm lazy. I won't learn new tech just so that my children kan be protected, when I can buy stuff that protect them without me having to interfere. And I know that there are a lot of lazy people in this world.

Besides, I've never encountered any of the problems you describe, so I don't really se what Nintendo lacks when it comes to the online experience.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

Socar

@WaveBoy: You're claiming over two games that play differently.......wow. Atleast I can agree that Thousand Year Door is better than what Sticker Star will ever be.

Here's an unpopular one, Even if Nintendo buys Capcom, they will still hold up a lot of Capcom IP's just like their own.

Edited on by Socar

eribuns

I don't really like the Final Fantasy series too much? The only games that really got my attention were 7, 10, and 12. And even then I barely got to play through any of those. I think 7 was the only Final Fantasy game I ever finished. Oops.

I hate The Legend of Zelda.

3DS Friend Code: 1263-9346-0869 | Nintendo Network ID: titanias | Twitter:

SuperWiiU

WaveBoy wrote:

To be fare, the original RE was groundbreaking on the PS1 as well, there was nothing else like it unless you had a PC with Alone in the dark, but really, RE was in a league of it's own and perfected the survival horror genre. By the time the remake came out, I was honestly growing tired of the traditional RE formula. Code Veronica nearly sealed the deal....blugh. And Zero was just beating the canvas.

Actually, Alone In The Dark 2 was released in the same year on the PS1, even before RE in Europe.

I've never played RE:Make, so I can't judge it or your opinion of it. But I did love Code Veronica X.

Edited on by SuperWiiU

CaviarMeths

I have mixed feelings on the whole RE franchise, but I feel like RE5 and RE6 are really meant to be played as co-op games. They're pretty crap as solo experiences, but quite fun if you have a buddy to team up with. I know, not really in the "spirit" of RE, but I like to look at games in a bubble.

While I liked Revelations, it felt like it was trying to marry the crap solo experiences of RE5/6 to the survival horror roots of the series. Still a solid experience though.

I need to get around to that big series playthrough I've been meaning to do for a while now. Picked up the HD versions of RE1/4/CV on PS3 PSN and have 5/6/R/R2 on disc. Waiting for 0 and 2 HD versions to come out, I guess. I'll think about how best to play RE3 later. I think I have both the Dreamcast and the PS1 version and my brother has the Gamecube version. Assuming DC is the way to go.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Ralizah

WaveBoy wrote:

There were quite a few changes that I also felt were inferior to the originals, and I hated how they altered some of the music or had NO music in certain areas that actually HAD music in the original.

A lack of music can be even more effective than a traditional horror score in channeling tension in certain situations.

I never really thought of the original and remake as being similar, as they seem like almost entirely different games. The original is like a cheesy and goofy low-budget horror movie from the 70s. The remake is a gorgeous and tense horror experience that sheds anything from the original that might detract from its new vision. I'll admit to thinking that the remake is, if not the greatest horror game ever made, within the top three horror games ever made, but I do think the original has its place for a modern survival horror fan as well.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

SuperWiiU

CaviarMeths wrote:

I have mixed feelings on the whole RE franchise, but I feel like RE5 and RE6 are really meant to be played as co-op games. They're pretty crap as solo experiences, but quite fun if you have a buddy to team up with. I know, not really in the "spirit" of RE, but I like to look at games in a bubble.

That's definitely true, but even so RE5 is horrible as an RE game. They should've released it under a non-RE name. like the first version of RE4 became DMC instead. I never even bothered with RE6 and have yet to clear Revelations from my backlog.

Edited on by SuperWiiU

Peek-a-boo

@SuperWiiU: I personally wouldn't bother playing Revelations; not only is it a poorly optimised port (the graphics looks very scaled up from the lowly 3DS resolution) but it lacks all the characteristics of what makes a Resident Evil game the series as we know it to be.

I enjoyed Resident Evil 4 as an action game as opposed to a Resident Evil one, and I quite liked the co-operative mode in RE5, but ever since then, the series has not only lost its identity, the game(s) themselves are not particularly compelling to play anymore.

Resident Evil 7 really, really needs to go back to its roots. I can foresee it being a return to form if - and that's a BIG if - Capcom play their cards right.

Peek-a-boo

Socar

If Nintendo decides to put a standard controller for NX, even though I'll get it, I'll be disappointed big time.

Fire Emblem will always be the best SRPG series ever. Infact, I can argue that its the definitive SRPG genre. Sure, games like Sakura Wars, FFT, Ogre tactics and maybe VC might come into mind for some but to me, they feel nowhere as great as Fire Emblem does.

Edited on by Socar

SuperWiiU

WaveBoy wrote:

I think we can all agree though that RE6 is the abomination of the franchise, it was the only real crappy RE game in the traditional main franchise.

Is the RE6 story as bad as RE5's? Especially the final of RE5 is the worst RE experience I've ever had.

Edited on by SuperWiiU

-Godot

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is a superior game than Super Mario 3D Land. I think 3D Land is overrated, but not by that much.
Did anyone else notice how rushed Dark Moon got towards the end? The ice mansion had half the levels it should have, followed by a sh***y boss fight. Then Treacherous Mansion was filled to the brim with bugs and glitches! It didn't take away from how great the final mansion was, but it still could have been much, much better.

Currently bored (while change when I stop being bored)

Peek-a-boo

@WaveBoy: Revelations 2 is pretty ho-hum in all honesty; rather than there being a great individual episode, it is more like a great individual moment contained within the odd episode or two.

I thought the first and third episode were the best ones purely because they provided the player a couple of game/story changing choices as well as retaining the old school Resident Evil atmosphere.

They are worth a trip if you really, REALLY want to play something new in the Resident Evil franchise, but it isn't a particularly compelling package overall. I had forgotten about the whole game mere hours afterwards.

As for Luigi's Mansion 2, I much preferred the original on the GameCube. There was no in-game timer to worry about either, which was often a wearisome burden at times in Dark Moon.

Peek-a-boo

Socar

@WaveBoy: Agreed. But on the bright side, I had a fun time with it even though it has its problems.

I want some argument so I'll say it again......Fire Emblem will always be the best SRPG series ever. Infact, I can argue that its the definitive SRPG genre. Sure, games like Sakura Wars, FFT, Ogre tactics and maybe VC might come into mind for some but to me, they feel nowhere as great as Fire Emblem does.

Shoot me! XD

Edited on by Socar

Peek-a-boo

@WaveBoy: Am I allowed to say neither?!

I didn't mind playing Revelations on my 3DS and the episode structure suited the handheld, but the Wii U version was pretty poor.

As for Revelations 2, if you didn't like the prison in the first episode, which I personally thought was one of the better/stronger scenarios in the whole 'season', then I do not know if you would like the later/other chapters very much. In this case, I'd wait until the whole game is on sale for $10 or something, which works out to be $2.50 per episode.

That's all I have to say on this matter.

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic