Forums

Topic: The Universal Games Ranking Forum (Currently: Characters/Weapons/etc. You Hate Playing Against)

Posts 461 to 480 of 548

Ralizah

@Xyphon22 The downgraded puzzles are what ruined it for me. Like, I didn't like the story in Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, but it still had charming characters and great puzzles, so I was OK. These puzzles, though... yeah, they're all very gimmicky. Gotcha riddles. There's way less diversity in puzzle types, too. Especially the downloadable puzzles, which all seem to be variants of the same sort of thing.

Katrielle Layton is OK, but her thirsty assistant is annoying. The dog exists to be sarcastic and nothing else so far. The side characters are less colorful than I'm used to PL characters being as well.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Tyranexx

@Ralizah: In that case, I'll probably still try out Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy. It'll be some time before I play both that and the prequel trilogy. XD

The first dungeon in Twilight Princess is a bit of a drag, but IMO the game and Hyrule in general open up way more after that "meh" experience. To be honest, I stopped roughly where you have my first time playing the game and didn't get back to it for a few months. That's not to say there aren't other sections of the game that don't get a little bogged down on occasion (There's a dungeon in the later part of the game that I personally dislike the design of that some do like. It houses one of my favorite bosses in the game, however), but there are enough things about it that I love; I can still easily rank the game in my top five Zeldas.

...The problem is, the more Zelda games I play, the more disorganized that top five gets.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Video Corner: Every JRPG Ever
Currently playing: Ever Oasis, Pokemon Shuffle (mobile)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

20wonders

I don't have too many games that disappointed me. Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 recent examples: Star Fox Zero and Sonic Forces. It's funny because I have a common problem with both of them: the controls are flawed (Star Fox Zero's are somewhat manageable if a bit frustrating at first, Classic Sonic in Forces controls like garbage though) but I wasn't hating either of the games up until the final bosses of each game, which caused me to kill my interest and I ended up selling both of them. Fighting Andross in Star Fox Zero just highlights how messy the controls are as a whole and it's more frustrating because I could have beaten him with ease if traditional controls were an option. Sonic Forces' final boss, however, is downright poorly designed and dishes out some of the worst bullcrap I've played in any game I've played recently. I was fine in the first part of the fight but when it goes to the 3D perspective and I got 75% of his health down, I had to hit the boss in the middle using the homing attack and as soon as I came back down on the platform, the boss crushed the floor from beneath me - not giving me enough time to get out of the way. If that wasn't bad enough, the boss also brought its fist down on a nonexistent platform and when I tried to use the homing attack on the boss, I fell to my death through the aforementioned nonexistent platform and had to start that all over again. I realized at that moment that I was better off just sticking to Sonic Colors, Generations, and Mania if I wanted to play a recent Sonic title.

20wonders

Tyranexx

I'm still not sure if I have all my squirrels in a row for this one, but here's my list. Note that this list isn't necessarily referring to bad games.

• Sonic Advance 3: This probably wasn't a wise pick for a first game in this series, but I borrowed it off of my brother. The game wasn't bad by any means, I just wasn't really blown away by it and didn't find it memorable. I think I had my expectations set higher than they should have since I always had heard good things about the series.
  • Pokemon Battle Revolution: To summarize, this is a better game if you had the Gen IV games, but your options are severely limited otherwise. I was expecting something akin to the Pokemon Stadium games from back in the day.
  • Game & Wario: To be honest to this game, I kind of went in expecting it to be mediocre. There were roughly three minigames that I truly enjoyed, but the rest ranged from meh to disappointing. I agree with some who say that this probably should have been a pack-in title with the Wii U, or at least the minigames should have been made available for individual purchase.
    Pikmin 3: Another game that was overhyped to me. It was by no means bad, but I found the AI of the Pikmin to be somewhat poor and the micromanagement to not at all be to my liking.

LuckyLand

Fragile Dreams.
When I saw trailers and other preview videos/images it reminded me both of Ico and Silent Hill, and I thought it must have been an extremely interesting mix, I felt very intrigued about it and it looked like its style was very fascinating too. I really was looking forward to it and couldn't wait to play it.
Then the game was in fact a poor and unpolished adventure very limited in its scope, with laughable small play areas, unbalanced and tedious (and sparse) fight session, without a style as good and intriguing as it looked in the trailers, but full of stupid nonsense in cutscene and in a bunch of pathetic texts that you had to collect at some point. The game was terrible, and the narrative contents were tedious, boring and pathetic at the same time. I really hate that game.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Buizel

In recent memory:

Paper Mario: Sticket Star
It's been bashed to death, but quite deservingly so imo. Paper Mario TTYD is one of my favourite games of all time, let alone one of my favourite RPGs, largely due to its comical narrative and enjoyable battle system. Sticker Star is very much a different game - massively cutting down the narrative and RPG elements in favour of puzzle-solving in the form of sticker collecting. The thing that bothered me the most about this is, whereas I enjoyed battles in TTYD, battling in Sticker Star was actually detrimental as it would use up your stickers. The game felt like a chore and I couldn't make it past the first third or so.

Sonic Forces
Being a fan of Sonic Generations, I had high hopes for this one, and unlikely many I wasn't put off by pre-release footage or reveals such as character customisation. In fact, I'd argue that in core concept this isn't a bad Sonic game at all. However I was really disappointed by the execution - somehow Sonic Team managed to make the modern Sonic gameplay feel worse than in Generations, not to mention the short and underwhelming level design. Avatar levels felt like slower, clunkier, and duller, modern Sonic stages, and classic Sonic stages felt pointless after Sonic Mania.

Mario Party 10
Simply very dull. It's missing a lot of the competitive elements that made the N64 and Gamecube titles so fun.

Ralizah wrote:

1/2 Genie Hero is a massive disappointment. It's missing the great level design, large dungeons, and open world of previous games, and instead opts for a shallow, almost arcadey approach to its levels. It's obscenely easy, even in comparison to Risky's Revenge, and the story and character banter have been toned down to the point where it feels like it lost a lot of its personality. This is particularly disappointing considering Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is arguably the best exploratory, Metroidvanian platformer on the 3DS.

I've maybe found the opposite - 1/2 Genie Hero was my first Stantae game and I adored it. Since then I've really struggled to get into other entries in the series. I suppose I just prefer the structure of 1/2 Genie Hero.

Edited on by Buizel

Currently playing: South Park: The Fractured But Hole (Switch), Battle Chef Brigade (Switch), Hyrule Warriors (Switch), Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC).
Replaying: DKC Tropical Freeze (Switch), Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch).

Bolt_Strike

Pick a main series Pokemon game on the 3DS. Any main series Pokemon game on the 3DS. That entire era of Pokemon has been massively underwhelming. Too little content, regions that have been getting progressively bare and linear, gameplay mechanics getting phased in and out regardless of whether people like them or not, Game Freak's standards have really been slipping recently.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Buizel

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Pick a main series Pokemon game on the 3DS. Any main series Pokemon game on the 3DS. That entire era of Pokemon has been massively underwhelming. Too little content, regions that have been getting progressively bare and linear, gameplay mechanics getting phased in and out regardless of whether people like them or not, Game Freak's standards have really been slipping recently.

I'm not sure about too little content...in what way do they have any less content than previous games?

I am by no means disappointed by these games (in fact, I'd say Pokemon is a series that tends to get better with every installment), but I do agree I am disappointed by the linearity. This got to ridiculous levels in Alola with Pokemon blocking every other path. Although I did like the way this game handled HMs and backtracking.

The more I think about this topic, the more I think of examples from the Sonic series. Usually those that are hyped as being better Sonic games but I am underwhelmed by:

• Sonic Colors. The levels are too short, and I'm not the biggest fan of 2D in the 3D engine. The combination of these makes much of the gameplay feel awkward to me. But most of all, I can't stand the Wisps because of the way that they break the pace of this and other Sonic games.
  • Sonic Rush. Hold dash and right. Either an easy win or a cheap death.

Currently playing: South Park: The Fractured But Hole (Switch), Battle Chef Brigade (Switch), Hyrule Warriors (Switch), Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC).
Replaying: DKC Tropical Freeze (Switch), Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch).

Bolt_Strike

Buizel wrote:

I'm not sure about too little content...in what way do they have any less content than previous games?

Mainly in regards to extra content. Every 3DS era game has been fairly minimal in terms of post game and extra features. None of them really had that major extra sidequest feature like Contests or Secret Bases, save for ORAS which only really brought them back because they had to being remakes. None of them had the sprawling mini regions like the Sevii Islands or DPPt's Battle Zone (the place with the Fight Area, Survival Area, Resort Area, etc.). They mainly just had short post game arcs, a couple of small gimmicks that get boring after about 5 minutes, and maybe 1 or 2 new batches of post game Pokemon, that's it. They're a far cry from the likes of Platinum, HGSS, and BW2 where you could keep playing for weeks, maybe even months, after you finished the main storyline.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Krull

I think I've generally pretty good at avoiding costly mistakes, but games that disappointed me? Hmm, Final Fantasy X. Having come off FFVII and FFVIII, I kept waiting for the world to open up, but instead I kept going backwards and forwards along the same paths. It wasn't a total bust - I played through to the end and did ultimately enjoy it - but the feeling of disappointment never really went away. And I've never seen voice acting as a selling point for a video game - I think that mindset began here. I'd throw in FFII as a disappointment too, but that one's on me. If I'd read anything about it in advance of playing it, I'd have been better prepared. That levelling system - ugh!

Aside from that, maybe Ace Attorney: Justice for All. Massive drop in quality from the first game. I gather the third one is far, far better, so I will give the series another try at some point.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589

Ryu_Niiyama

I have issues with sequels that are semi niche for the first game but changed to snag the mainstream gamer.

Mass Effect 2 and 3. I'm one of 3 people that didn't care that it became a waist high cover shooter, I hated the addition of ammo (wait "I mean heat sinks") and the lame lore cover up, the death of the MC and the two year gap was a lazy plot device, most of the new characters were boring (would have rather they expanded on ALL of the original team equally instead), I hated the expansion into the books and comics that controlled new storylines but left you confused if you only played the games (this is a complaint I have with EAware in general), Somebody tell Ali Hillis that she didn't need to try to sound like a chain smoker to show that Liara had "Been through some Sh**"(tm), and Jen Hale, I adore you but you started tying WAY too hard with the flirting dialogue (don't get me started on the relationship dialogue, I just had to not talk to men after a point in my games), I hated the diminishing of the Reapers and the stupid way they tried to put the collectors and Cerberus at the forefront. As a paragon that would punch you in the face if you got on her nerves, I hated that you are beholden to Cerberus in 2 and pretty much a war criminal in 3. Loyalty missions were somewhat juvenile (why do I have to help Jack's unhinged self become slightly less unhinged? Also Miranda and Jack were poorly designed in general) and were somewhat...intrusive considering you are supposed barreling towards the end of the galaxy.

The reaction that folks had to Andromeda... I'd already had to ME 2 and 3. If they had fixed the inventory, found a medium between the combat in 1 and (say Andromeda) and no ammo clips or at least make them side options for faster reloads), focused on the REAPERS and the current squad and focused on the other races homeworlds sooner and kept more of the the storyline in the game and not in comics and books and I might have enjoyed it more.

AC games after III (although I toss AC II at top of that list....as I almost stopped playing the series after that game). People complain about the counter system but had no issues with the cheap way the infamy and detection system worked II on? Also I really don't want to play Assassin Dress up. I don't care about unlocking outfits and dye. Also Ezio is a jerk and unrelatable, Altair while also a jerk was at least a redeemable one. I know I'm one of 3 people that cared about the whole "those that came before and the reason for the templars vs Assassins and your religion isn't real but advanced science by the other race that enslaved and bred humanity" plot so it sucked watching it diminish each game.

Fallout 4. That starting narrative (and the main story) was pretty much offensive to me. I have no issues playing a character with a set narrative, but when you give me a character creation tool and a supposedly open world then the less narrative defining the PC the better for me. I will say as generic as TES openings are that is why I get so immersed in them....I can craft a full character arc using the world as a backdrop.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

kkslider5552000

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Mass Effect 2 and 3. I'm one of 3 people that didn't care that it became a waist high cover shooter,.

This is wrong, as Mass Effect 1 was a waist high cover shooter, even if you don't want to admit it. 2 and 3 were just much BETTER waist high cover shooters.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

BigYellow

When somehow your time off is busier than school

I've a new poll ready to go, but I felt like chipping in on the topic since I missed out last time.

Sonic Forces - I'll get the obvious one out the way first, this was a serious let down for me. I just wanted this to be good, at least decent, something to carry on the hype from Mania but what we got was one of the most stale games I've ever played. The Player Character is fun to create but is rarely any fun to play as, Modern Sonic is passable sometimes and ungodly stiff at other times, and Classic Sonic is the best advertising for Sonic Mania I've ever seen. The only things the game has going for it is a decent soundtrack, good graphics, and Mortar Canyon being a genuinely fun 2 minutes.

Brawlout - While I don't think this game is very good, that's not what I find disappointing about it. What disappoints me is that it was the first 'Smash Clone' to come to Switch, and it's disappointing to me that such a mediocre game is setting the stage. It's games like these that give 'Smash Clones' a bad name, which is especially sad with Rivals of Aether coming to Switch, which gameplay wise is far more unique and good enough to at least be on the same level as Smash.

Yooka-Laylee - While the game certainly plays better since the many updates, it's still a bit fundamentally flawed. Levels are full of empty space, the same characters are kinda copy pasted throughout the game with few new ones to offer, puzzles aren't very fun or interesting, the Rextro minigames are actual garbage and collectables that should be used to guide a player like the quills are placed in the dumbest of spots. I wouldn't call it a bad game, but it can't hold a candle to games like A Hat in Time or Hob which wipe the floor with it on a much lower budget.

Overwatch - Imagine you've made a hugely successful game and you feel the need to push it competitively. There's a few issues though, the game is very unbalanced, confusing to watch, and has a lot of dumb stuff like stun mechanics. You'd probably try to fix those issues, right? Maybe, but Jeff would rather make a million posts on people saying mean things in a video game, make the dumbest new hero ever in Doomfist, ban people for playing bad characters he's too incompetent to balance and do funny ha ha moments like invading streams.

Makes you wonder where those 30 million players went.

Ultra Street Fighter 2 - I like this game, but I can't be the only one slightly regretting purchasing this when the 30th Anniversary Collection was announced. I'm still having fun with it, I'm just a bit saltier when I'm not.

Here's that brand spanking new poll: http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5a555b3fe4b0149eb2e62f6f

Also while I was gone two of my friends started CS:GO gambling and lost €900 collectively which is cool and good.

summons a meteor on your parents haha I win

Playing: Street Fighter 5 AE, Team Fortress 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, A Hat in Time, The Forest
My Nintendo Switch Friend Chode: SW-3013-0076-0450
Steam Profile: ...

Tyranexx

@BigYellow: Glad to see you again! I was thinking I hadn't seen you in awhile. RL can be fun, eh?

I love the blurb from the new poll:

poll wrote:

Thank you for waiting for the lazy bloke to provide options AGAIN.

BigYellow

@Tyranexx Thanks man! It sure can, we ended up going away the literal second I was done with exams. Fingers crossed I'm safe this time!

summons a meteor on your parents haha I win

Playing: Street Fighter 5 AE, Team Fortress 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, A Hat in Time, The Forest
My Nintendo Switch Friend Chode: SW-3013-0076-0450
Steam Profile: ...

Ralizah

Definitely agree on Mass Effect 2. It took a fun RPG with some slightly wonky shooting mechanics and turned it into a third person shooter with streamlined RPG aspects, downgraded planet exploration (you used to be able to visit the planets... now you just scan them! What fun!) and a forgettable plot.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah May I hug you? Whenever I criticize ME 2 onward I get beaten up by nerd and pitchforks. Nice to know I'm not alone.

@kkslider5552000 I didn't see this sorry. Agree to disagree.

Edited on by gcunit

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Tyranexx

That's actually what's kept me away from the Mass Effect series; a little too TPS-Y for my liking.

GoldenGamer88

@BigYellow This must be the single most condensed and down to the point description of everything wrong with Yooka-Laylee. I feel like it was enough for people to hear they were ex-Rare employees and didn‘t bother to ask what exactly they did. For all we know they could‘ve been the underpaid interns making coffee for the real devs lol. Even on Switch, this game is just garbage.

Also I agree on most things you said about Overwatch. I wouldn‘t say the game is unbalanced. Each and every hero, except for Doomfist, has his or her place on the team under the right circumstances, though, some are really situational heroes and therefore are not seen as 'must-picks'. What annoys me about Overwatch, and the reason I only play it occasionally in short bursts, is the community. You can‘t pick who you want and when you pick Rein or Mercy to support the team, you‘ll get yelled at for not doing your job properly. Oh yeah, I am not doing my job, Genji. I‘m here with the team, damage-boosting and healing while you get out there and get yourself killed. And playing as Reinhardt is absolutely boring. Stand there, hold up your shield and walk forward so your team stays safe. At least Orisa can shoot and have her shield up. But oh no, Orisa is so weak! Go pick, Rein instead! Oh, you wanna play Zenyatta so you can heal and attack? Nah, we need Mercy, she‘s much better! Sorry bout the ranting but I‘m really fed up with that aspect of Overwatch.

Edited on by GoldenGamer88

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

Ralizah

@Ryu_Niiyama Hugs Oh, believe me, I'm glad someone else sympathizes. Especially considering ME1 is probably one of my favorite Xbox 360 games. I'll never understand why people liked ME2 so much, and yeah, it has turned into a minor sacred cow in the video game world.

I mean, it's not Andromeda, it's still a competently produced game, but I can't think fondly of something that took a fun Western RPG full of character and fun dialogue and wide spaces to walk around in and unique builds and went all dark and corridor-shooty with it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic