Forums

Topic: The Universal Games Ranking Forum (Currently: Characters/Weapons/etc. You Hate Playing Against)

Posts 461 to 480 of 540

Bolt_Strike

Buizel wrote:

I'm not sure about too little content...in what way do they have any less content than previous games?

Mainly in regards to extra content. Every 3DS era game has been fairly minimal in terms of post game and extra features. None of them really had that major extra sidequest feature like Contests or Secret Bases, save for ORAS which only really brought them back because they had to being remakes. None of them had the sprawling mini regions like the Sevii Islands or DPPt's Battle Zone (the place with the Fight Area, Survival Area, Resort Area, etc.). They mainly just had short post game arcs, a couple of small gimmicks that get boring after about 5 minutes, and maybe 1 or 2 new batches of post game Pokemon, that's it. They're a far cry from the likes of Platinum, HGSS, and BW2 where you could keep playing for weeks, maybe even months, after you finished the main storyline.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Krull

I think I've generally pretty good at avoiding costly mistakes, but games that disappointed me? Hmm, Final Fantasy X. Having come off FFVII and FFVIII, I kept waiting for the world to open up, but instead I kept going backwards and forwards along the same paths. It wasn't a total bust - I played through to the end and did ultimately enjoy it - but the feeling of disappointment never really went away. And I've never seen voice acting as a selling point for a video game - I think that mindset began here. I'd throw in FFII as a disappointment too, but that one's on me. If I'd read anything about it in advance of playing it, I'd have been better prepared. That levelling system - ugh!

Aside from that, maybe Ace Attorney: Justice for All. Massive drop in quality from the first game. I gather the third one is far, far better, so I will give the series another try at some point.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589

Ryu_Niiyama

I have issues with sequels that are semi niche for the first game but changed to snag the mainstream gamer.

Mass Effect 2 and 3. I'm one of 3 people that didn't care that it became a waist high cover shooter, I hated the addition of ammo (wait "I mean heat sinks") and the lame lore cover up, the death of the MC and the two year gap was a lazy plot device, most of the new characters were boring (would have rather they expanded on ALL of the original team equally instead), I hated the expansion into the books and comics that controlled new storylines but left you confused if you only played the games (this is a complaint I have with EAware in general), Somebody tell Ali Hillis that she didn't need to try to sound like a chain smoker to show that Liara had "Been through some Sh**"(tm), and Jen Hale, I adore you but you started tying WAY too hard with the flirting dialogue (don't get me started on the relationship dialogue, I just had to not talk to men after a point in my games), I hated the diminishing of the Reapers and the stupid way they tried to put the collectors and Cerberus at the forefront. As a paragon that would punch you in the face if you got on her nerves, I hated that you are beholden to Cerberus in 2 and pretty much a war criminal in 3. Loyalty missions were somewhat juvenile (why do I have to help Jack's unhinged self become slightly less unhinged? Also Miranda and Jack were poorly designed in general) and were somewhat...intrusive considering you are supposed barreling towards the end of the galaxy.

The reaction that folks had to Andromeda... I'd already had to ME 2 and 3. If they had fixed the inventory, found a medium between the combat in 1 and (say Andromeda) and no ammo clips or at least make them side options for faster reloads), focused on the REAPERS and the current squad and focused on the other races homeworlds sooner and kept more of the the storyline in the game and not in comics and books and I might have enjoyed it more.

AC games after III (although I toss AC II at top of that list....as I almost stopped playing the series after that game). People complain about the counter system but had no issues with the cheap way the infamy and detection system worked II on? Also I really don't want to play Assassin Dress up. I don't care about unlocking outfits and dye. Also Ezio is a jerk and unrelatable, Altair while also a jerk was at least a redeemable one. I know I'm one of 3 people that cared about the whole "those that came before and the reason for the templars vs Assassins and your religion isn't real but advanced science by the other race that enslaved and bred humanity" plot so it sucked watching it diminish each game.

Fallout 4. That starting narrative (and the main story) was pretty much offensive to me. I have no issues playing a character with a set narrative, but when you give me a character creation tool and a supposedly open world then the less narrative defining the PC the better for me. I will say as generic as TES openings are that is why I get so immersed in them....I can craft a full character arc using the world as a backdrop.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.
Please tag me before you sent a Friend Request. Thanks!

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

kkslider5552000

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Mass Effect 2 and 3. I'm one of 3 people that didn't care that it became a waist high cover shooter,.

This is wrong, as Mass Effect 1 was a waist high cover shooter, even if you don't want to admit it. 2 and 3 were just much BETTER waist high cover shooters.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

WarioIsTopTier

When somehow your time off is busier than school

I've a new poll ready to go, but I felt like chipping in on the topic since I missed out last time.

Sonic Forces - I'll get the obvious one out the way first, this was a serious let down for me. I just wanted this to be good, at least decent, something to carry on the hype from Mania but what we got was one of the most stale games I've ever played. The Player Character is fun to create but is rarely any fun to play as, Modern Sonic is passable sometimes and ungodly stiff at other times, and Classic Sonic is the best advertising for Sonic Mania I've ever seen. The only things the game has going for it is a decent soundtrack, good graphics, and Mortar Canyon being a genuinely fun 2 minutes.

Brawlout - While I don't think this game is very good, that's not what I find disappointing about it. What disappoints me is that it was the first 'Smash Clone' to come to Switch, and it's disappointing to me that such a mediocre game is setting the stage. It's games like these that give 'Smash Clones' a bad name, which is especially sad with Rivals of Aether coming to Switch, which gameplay wise is far more unique and good enough to at least be on the same level as Smash.

Yooka-Laylee - While the game certainly plays better since the many updates, it's still a bit fundamentally flawed. Levels are full of empty space, the same characters are kinda copy pasted throughout the game with few new ones to offer, puzzles aren't very fun or interesting, the Rextro minigames are actual garbage and collectables that should be used to guide a player like the quills are placed in the dumbest of spots. I wouldn't call it a bad game, but it can't hold a candle to games like A Hat in Time or Hob which wipe the floor with it on a much lower budget.

Overwatch - Imagine you've made a hugely successful game and you feel the need to push it competitively. There's a few issues though, the game is very unbalanced, confusing to watch, and has a lot of dumb stuff like stun mechanics. You'd probably try to fix those issues, right? Maybe, but Jeff would rather make a million posts on people saying mean things in a video game, make the dumbest new hero ever in Doomfist, ban people for playing bad characters he's too incompetent to balance and do funny ha ha moments like invading streams.

Makes you wonder where those 30 million players went.

Ultra Street Fighter 2 - I like this game, but I can't be the only one slightly regretting purchasing this when the 30th Anniversary Collection was announced. I'm still having fun with it, I'm just a bit saltier when I'm not.

Here's that brand spanking new poll: http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5a555b3fe4b0149eb2e62f6f

Also while I was gone two of my friends started CS:GO gambling and lost €900 collectively which is cool and good.

WarioIsTopTier

Tyranexx

@BigYellow: Glad to see you again! I was thinking I hadn't seen you in awhile. RL can be fun, eh?

I love the blurb from the new poll:

poll wrote:

Thank you for waiting for the lazy bloke to provide options AGAIN.

Video Corner: If Mario Had a Battle Royale Mode
Currently playing: Ocarina of Time 3D (Master Quest), Paper Mario: Color Splash

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

WarioIsTopTier

@Tyranexx Thanks man! It sure can, we ended up going away the literal second I was done with exams. Fingers crossed I'm safe this time!

WarioIsTopTier

Ralizah

Definitely agree on Mass Effect 2. It took a fun RPG with some slightly wonky shooting mechanics and turned it into a third person shooter with streamlined RPG aspects, downgraded planet exploration (you used to be able to visit the planets... now you just scan them! What fun!) and a forgettable plot.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Ryu_Niiyama

@Ralizah May I hug you? Whenever I criticize ME 2 onward I get beaten up by nerd and pitchforks. Nice to know I'm not alone.

@kkslider5552000 I didn't see this sorry. Agree to disagree.

Edited on by gcunit

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.
Please tag me before you sent a Friend Request. Thanks!

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Tyranexx

That's actually what's kept me away from the Mass Effect series; a little too TPS-Y for my liking.

Video Corner: If Mario Had a Battle Royale Mode
Currently playing: Ocarina of Time 3D (Master Quest), Paper Mario: Color Splash

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

GoldenGamer88

@BigYellow This must be the single most condensed and down to the point description of everything wrong with Yooka-Laylee. I feel like it was enough for people to hear they were ex-Rare employees and didn‘t bother to ask what exactly they did. For all we know they could‘ve been the underpaid interns making coffee for the real devs lol. Even on Switch, this game is just garbage.

Also I agree on most things you said about Overwatch. I wouldn‘t say the game is unbalanced. Each and every hero, except for Doomfist, has his or her place on the team under the right circumstances, though, some are really situational heroes and therefore are not seen as 'must-picks'. What annoys me about Overwatch, and the reason I only play it occasionally in short bursts, is the community. You can‘t pick who you want and when you pick Rein or Mercy to support the team, you‘ll get yelled at for not doing your job properly. Oh yeah, I am not doing my job, Genji. I‘m here with the team, damage-boosting and healing while you get out there and get yourself killed. And playing as Reinhardt is absolutely boring. Stand there, hold up your shield and walk forward so your team stays safe. At least Orisa can shoot and have her shield up. But oh no, Orisa is so weak! Go pick, Rein instead! Oh, you wanna play Zenyatta so you can heal and attack? Nah, we need Mercy, she‘s much better! Sorry bout the ranting but I‘m really fed up with that aspect of Overwatch.

Edited on by GoldenGamer88

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

Ralizah

@Ryu_Niiyama Hugs Oh, believe me, I'm glad someone else sympathizes. Especially considering ME1 is probably one of my favorite Xbox 360 games. I'll never understand why people liked ME2 so much, and yeah, it has turned into a minor sacred cow in the video game world.

I mean, it's not Andromeda, it's still a competently produced game, but I can't think fondly of something that took a fun Western RPG full of character and fun dialogue and wide spaces to walk around in and unique builds and went all dark and corridor-shooty with it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Haru17

So like, what disappointed you was that Mass Effect 2 had of fewer the literally empty moonscapes you had to walk across to do side missions?

Granted I don't think the series was amazing or anything, they were just a fun narrative games. The structure of 2 got a bit weird since they did it in episodes you can play in any order, which made playing through it more listless, but that's about my only complaint. I like both 1 and 2, haven't gotten to 3 yet.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

WarioIsTopTier

@GoldenGamer88 I kinda feel like that's been a trend with games recently, like with Playtonic pushing their work at Rare so much and Sonic Team reminding us the people behind Colours and Generations were behind Forces and then it turned out they had one level designer from Lost World and 2 newbies. People just took it for granted but the devs still seem to come out of it fine. I'll never know where all that money went for Yooka-Laylee.

That's a very good point about Overwatch too, most of the characters do have times they can excel, but even in Quick Play you'll get yelled at for playing them. The community is probably the worst aspect of OW and how it's handled is just as bad. I do wish they'd focus more on their characters as some genuinely don't do anything or are really boring, but they've their priorities absolutely wack.

WarioIsTopTier

LegendOfPokemon

Rocket League: Heard really great things about this but ultimately didn't have fun when I played it.

Yoshi's Woolly World: The yarn aesthetic was great but the game felt like a slog to me.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon: I think the mansions were really well designed but the bosses and mission structure were somewhat repetitive. (It had a surprisingly good soundtrack though!)

ARMS: The concept is a great idea but I wasn't a fan of either control scheme and there wasn't much to do besides the core fighting mode.

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

LegendOfPokemon

@BigYellow The announcements were definitely unexpected (in a good way). I’m just worriedly about how much Nintendo will rely on ports and DLC to provide content for Switch (and especially because some owners already bought Switch ports on Wii U).

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

Ralizah

@CreamyDream I still hear people talking about how great it is. I wish I could share in the enthusiasm, but I just... can't.

And yeah, I never even bothered picking up ME3 or Andromeda. What a fall from grace!

Ralizah

Cynas

@GoldenGamer88 Honestly the only mode in Overwatch I can play anymore is Mystery Heroes in Arcade. There's a lot less raging going on and people can't get mad over what character you're playing. About a year ago I played my first match of competitive and afterwards thought to myself "Nope, never doing that again, that wasn't fun". I was able to do Quick Play for a while but even that felt like it was getting more toxic as time went on.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

WarioIsTopTier

@LegendOfPokemon The only thing that took me aback a little was the Pokken DLC, I'm really happy we're getting it, but if I'm right it's €7.50 for a character and two supports. That's seriously steep, Street Fighter 5 and Smash 4 got flack for the price of their DLC, but this is pushing it.

Aside from that, the poll is closed now! Here's the results:

1st - Weak Characters/Items You Love To Use - 31% (4 Votes)
2nd - Mario Oddessy Kingdoms - 23% (3 Votes)
3rd - everything else got 2 each so deep joy everyone's a winner (15% Each)

Turns out Weak Characters/Items You Love To Use is the new topic! This one I've wanted for a while, so I'll get on it fairly soon.

For the first time in a third or fourth while, Happy Ranking!

WarioIsTopTier

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic