Forums

Topic: The Game Awards 2020

Posts 1 to 20 of 156

Grumblevolcano

The Game Awards is less than a month away (December 10th) and nominees are being announced on Wednesday so now seems a good time to bring back the annual Game Awards thread.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

CITRONtanker

I went in last year expecting... something, so I’m gonna keep my expectations in check for this one in terms of surprise announcements, quote on quote. Hoping this year we actually get some more focus on video games, though. It’s The Game Awards, I don’t need Green Day and Magic: The Gathering ads.

Also, if The Last of Us 2 wins GOTY, I’m gonna find that a bit humorous.

Buy Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Krull

Hmmm... I guess Cyberpunk 2077 is missing this window. Felt like a shoo-in for the overall prize. Now? Hades, FFVII Remake, The Last of Us 2, Animal Crossing... what am I missing? Watch Dogs Legion? AC Valhalla?

Edit: Demon’s Souls remake will probably make the GotY list...

Love to see something off the wall like Hades or Crusader Kings III come away with the big prizes.

Edited on by Krull

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

NintendoByNature

Nintendo seems to be willing to keep us updated as of late with monthly announcements so im expecting some decent stuff. Not going to put the house on it, but im still expecting a couple surprise announcements from them and botw2 trailer.

NintendoByNature

kkslider5552000

I'll be honest, the Game Awards barely exist for any worthwhile reason (like most award shows). Without a crowd, I have no idea why its continuing beyond some arbitrary obligation.

Like imagine some of the long, annoying segments to blatantly advertise some ongoing live service/f2p game in an empty room. For minutes. Noooooo.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Magician

As per usual I don't care who wins which awards, I watch TGA for the world premiers.

Elden Ring or bust.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

TheFrenchiestFry

I'm pretty sure the PS5 launch games like Demon's Souls and Miles Morales barely made it to the threshold to be considered eligble for nominations, so I wouldn't be surprised if either of them show up. I can totally see Demon's Souls being up for awards like Best Game Direction, Best RPG, or even GOTY.

I definitely don't expect AC to win anything other than Best Family Game, and DOOM Eternal is practically a shoe in for Best Action Game. Obviously since Xenoblade and Persona 5 Royal are enhanced remasters/re-releases of older titles they're automatically ineligible given they're largely based on older titles. FFVII Remake is pretty much its own thing adjunct from the original so I can definitely see it getting tipped for Best RPG, Best Score/Soundtrack, Best Art Direction and GOTY.

COD Black Ops Cold War is definitely winning Best Sound Design as MW did last time

Best Fighting Game will definitely go to either Granblue Vs. or UNICLR

Ori is a shoe in for Best Indie Title

Among Us or Fall Guys are potentially up for Best Multiplayer

In terms of announcements I predict a Bayonetta 3 re-announcement, Persona 5 Arena, a teaser for Final Fantasy XVI with a window for the next info dump, an announcement for the rumored Silent Hill soft-reboot for PS5, a new Elden Ring trailer, a new Xbox Game Studios title, a potential teaser for the rumored Metal Gear Solid remake, a new Horizon trailer and a new battle royale title by some indie studio

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Dezzy

Cyberpunk getting delayed obviously means TLOU2 will win game of the year. So people will get annoyed at that because it reflects the "games journalists" opinions a lot more than it does the gaming audience. The GOTY from the gaming audience would probably be something like Ghost of Tsushima. That was probably the game that got the most unanimous praise from all of the various online gaming people I listen to (and sold enough that lots of people played it)

So I'm not overly enthused about watching it for the actual awards, because I just don't think there's going to be any interesting competition. I might watch it (or have it on in the background) for the sake of the various announcements though. I hope we get an Elden Ring reveal. Fromsoft have worked with Game Awards in the past (and won GOTY for Sekiro so probably quite like the event), so it seems possible. Hopefully we also get something from Nintendo and Xbox. Maybe a Bayonetta 3 trailer, or maybe the next Zelda trailer. Then from Microsoft I hope we get a Halo Infinite trailer showing some of the graphical upgrades they've been working on. Just so we know it's gonna be out some time next year.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

LzWinky

GigaMermaid wrote:

I went in last year expecting... something, so I’m gonna keep my expectations in check for this one in terms of surprise announcements, quote on quote. Hoping this year we actually get some more focus on video games, though. It’s The Game Awards, I don’t need Green Day and Magic: The Gathering ads.

Also, if The Last of Us 2 wins GOTY, I’m gonna find that a bit humorous.

I think Animal Crossing will get it, due to the sheer impact it had on this year.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

TheFrenchiestFry

@LzWinky Animal Crossing is definitely not getting it. For a Nintendo game to actively be considered for GOTY at this point it has to be tied to Zelda, Mario or Smash.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Balta666

I don't care about The game awards apart from the announcements. I hope after a lackluster year by Nintendo (even though I liked the bravely second One) this Will have way more stuff.
Also I would like if they changed the schedule to be more Europe frendly as they will air part of the show from london but it appear to be midnight to 4am..

Edited on by Balta666

EngineerMario

Nintendo games this is only for nintendo games up for awards

Game of the Year Award
Animal crossing

Best Original Score Award for 2020
Age of Calamity

Best Action-Adventure
Age of Calamity

Best RPG
Paper Mario & The Origami King

Best Narrative
Age of Calamity

Overall
none

The reason why Age of calamity would be guesses for those awards or the closest thing

EngineerMario

EngineerMario

Last game of the year for nintendo was
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)

EngineerMario

kkslider5552000

Dezzy wrote:

Cyberpunk getting delayed obviously means TLOU2 will win game of the year. So people will get annoyed at that because it reflects the "games journalists" opinions a lot more than it does the gaming audience. The GOTY from the gaming audience would probably be something like Ghost of Tsushima.

Dreams, Among Us, Hades and FFVII R should be above both of them tbh. If life was remotely fair at least.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Wargoose

Final Fantasy VII Remake has been by far the best game I've played this year. My expectations were sky high and I loved almost every minute of it.(I think the 2nd Reactor mission dragged on far too long.)

Wargoose

RR529

As for the Nintendo side of things, Animal Crossing will probably get the most nods, most prominently in the "Family Game" category it'll probably win. I could also see it getting a nomination for "GotY", but definitely won't win.

I could see Paper Mario making a surprise appearance in the RPG or Action category, but definitely not a win (on that note, it'd be cool to see XCDE get a nom in the RPG category, but that really depends on whether or not it's upgraded enough to count as a remake or not in their eyes).

Otherwise I'd like to see FFVIIR have a big night, as it's probably been my favorite game of the year. I expect TLoUII will be the big winner of the night though (no personal opinion of it as I haven't played it).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

NintendoByNature

XC:DE and/or PM TOK get my vote. Ac was fun but wore off for me. Trials of mana was up there too.

NintendoByNature

Kyloctopus

Hades is going to win the Indie Category. I think the only game that might have a chance against it is Ori and the Will of the Wisp.

I could also see Logan Cunningham win for Performance in Hades, but there is some steep competition this year

NBA 2K21 or PGA 2K21 will win Best Sports/Racing. Leaning more towards NBA since that got a pretty big Next Gen update

Spiritfarer could win Games For Change off the top of my mind

I'm leaning on Ori winning Art Direction, but I could also see it going to Ghosts of Tsushima or Demon Souls

Animal Crossing takes Family Game

I don't see any frontrunners for Best Debut Indie Game, but I'd like it to go to Moonsprout Games/Bug Fables

Edited on by Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

RR529

@Kyloctopus, cars always win best racing/sports game (Mario Kart 8, Rocket League, Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsports 7, Forza Horizon 4, & Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled).

Granted, I'm not sure if there's been any notable racing games this year, so a team sport title may actually win this year, though I'm going to go on a limb and say the Tony Hawk remaster will probably take it given how well I think it's been received.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry I dunno, I could see Metroid Prime 4 getting nominated for GOTY when it comes out. Not winning, no matter how good it is, but nominated seems possible.

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic