Forums

Topic: Japan Discussion

Posts 461 to 480 of 843

Aviator

Tsuchinoko wrote:

there are commercials I would call "quirky", but nothing that I would ever call weird or crazy.

Be prepared to eat your words.

Note: This is most probably not safe for work.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

rolLTheDice

So ... this is a commercial for plastic surgery?

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

Tsuchinoko

@ziLToiD No, its a commercial for an apartment housing chain. And sure, you can pull a random commercial off the internet as an example of a "crazy" Japanese commercial, but I'm sure I can do the same for any country you name as well.

Do you know what they're referencing in the commercial even? I'm not saying its not a weird commercial (and its not even a commercial I've ever seen, and it wouldn't even appear on the regular channels even). So no, I'm not "eating my words". Sorry!

And yes, I understand the joke of the commercial. I could explain it if you want, but its kind of a dumb joke anyway. There's a lot more clever Japanese commercials that that.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Tsuchinoko

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Yo where's ma fried chicken

Nice try, that's Korean

Tsuchinoko

Hmm, I wouldn't want this thread to turn into a "let's post a bunch of crazy foreign commercials" thread all of a sudden...

Hokori

I honestly think there commercials are much more normal then our commercials
Anyway I know I have to go there because I've spent 1/3 of my life trying, I guess I can wait another 10 years...

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

RR529

@HarmoKnight, didn't you say you had an iPad? Have you DL'd the free NHK World app yet? I think you'd get a lot of time out of it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Hokori

@RR529 I do but I never really DL anything it's too confusion to me, if they made one for 3DS or WiiU I'd DL it

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

RR529

I don't know how different it'd be on an iPad, but the App Store is really well organized on the iPod.

Anyways, for someone who's as interested in Japan as you seem to be, I'm surprised you'd let something like a little bit of a wonky shop to get in your way of an app like this.

They don't do much in the way of Japanese pop-culture (although they have a few shows centered around it), they have some on cuisine, a lot on local culture (specific regional culture, such as the culture of a particular city, as well as overall culture), lots of news, and current political & economic situations in the nation.

All the programming is produced by NHK for western audiences, so you get an accurate portrayal of everyday Japanese life, presented in a way that makes it easier for westerners to understand the culture.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

CanisWolfred

Tsuchinoko wrote:

I feel the same way about American stand-up comedy, I just don't get it. Its so blunt, and sarcastic, and in-your-face, which is the total opposite of the culture here.

To be honest, I'm an American, and I hate most American humor for the reasons you listed. It's not funny, it's just overbearing and offensive. That's why I never watch stand-up anymore. However, I don't get most Japanese humor, either, though I do agree that it's pretty much the opposite of American humor. I prefer something more in-between. British Humor tends to be stuff I laugh at more. though there's plenty of examples in American and Japanese culture, too.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Japnjapanjapan is the bestest there ever was nuahahahahahahahahahaha. (Japanjapan is the very best, ooh, ooh!.) ^__^ Konnichi wa minna-san desuka nai arigato desudesudesudesudesu wakarimashita!

Wrote that song just now. Comment pls.

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Hokori

^NO comment

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

Jani-Koblaney

I think American humor is funny.. If you don't take it personally, then it's actually quite funny!

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852 | Nintendo Network ID: NJanders

Snagrio

Jon_Talbain wrote:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

I feel the same way about American stand-up comedy, I just don't get it. Its so blunt, and sarcastic, and in-your-face, which is the total opposite of the culture here.

To be honest, I'm an American, and I hate most American humor for the reasons you listed. It's not funny, it's just overbearing and offensive. That's why I never watch stand-up anymore. However, I don't get most Japanese humor, either, though I do agree that it's pretty much the opposite of American humor. I prefer something more in-between. British Humor tends to be stuff I laugh at more. though there's plenty of examples in American and Japanese culture, too.

Tell me about it. If there isn't an innuendo to a joke anymore, it isn't "funny." then again, from what few anime series I've seen, there seems to be a lot of, um, "visual" cues. But of course anime isn't real life, too bad most people outside the country seem to think otherwise.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

SMEXIZELDAMAN

HarmoKnight wrote:

^NO comment

COMMENT ON MY SONG! >:0

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

RR529

I couldn't watch Itidakimasu! Dining With the Chef today.

My brother has commandeered the TV for the whole day, so he can watch Hurricane Sandy (flipping between CNN, FNC, MSNBC, & TWC all day). He gave me a dirty look when I asked for the TV for that particular half-hour.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Journey's In Japan was on today! they showcased Morioka. The city is well known for the many rivers that run through it, and there are many places along the river to get scenic views. It takes two hours by bullet train (from Tokyo) to get to the city.

First, the host watched some salmon swimming upstream with some city locals. At one point (the 70's), the rivers were completely polluted, but due to the efforts of the government & citizens, they're clear once again.

They then talked about the community wells, filled with spring water (some of the best in Japan). These wells have been known throughout the city's history to bring people together.

The host then visited a local soba (type of noodle) shop, that's been in business for over 100 years.

Next up, was a visit to a local Buddhist temple, which is known for it's 499 statues modeled after the Buddha's deciples.

The host next visited a local restaurant, to get a taste of the local sake (which is some of the best in the country, made fresh with the area's spring water). The specialty for the season was grilled maitake mushrooms. The restaurant was filled with traditional crafts from the area's history.

They showcased a local variety of iron casting, and the master who is the 15th generation in her family to carry on the tradition.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.