Forums

Topic: Japan Discussion

Posts 481 to 500 of 843

SMEXIZELDAMAN

@tsuchinoko So Ohio State University has study abroad at Hokkaido University, Nanzan University, Tenri University, University of Tsukuba, Waseda University and some International Christian University.

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

RR529

Imagine-Nation was on tonight!

Opening Topic: They announced the recent release of the Zone of the Enders HD collection for PS3/360, on Oct. 25.

Main Theme: They covered Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. The popular manga debuted in 1987, and is still going strong, now in it's eighth series (each one following a different cast of characters. The series has been adapted into films, OVAs, & video games, but hasn't had a TV anime... Until now.

Yes, 25 years after the series originally debuted, it's finally getting a TV anime, that just premiered this October. The story follows a centuries old family feud. There was recently an art exhibition featuring the series' art, for it's 25th anniversary.

Creator's Interview: They interviewed Sota Sugahara. He debuted his first manga at age 19! Entitled Tonio Chan, it ran in a weekly magazine for two years. Moving on, he is now trying his hand at various other creative ventures. No matter what his work, everything he does is CG.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tsuchinoko

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

@tsuchinoko So Ohio State University has study abroad at Hokkaido University, Nanzan University, Tenri University, University of Tsukuba, Waseda University and some International Christian University.

International Christian University is otherwise known as Kokusai Kirisuto Daigaku, its really famous, but it really will try to appeal to foreigners more than any University on that list. I went there for one semester while I was slumming between my full-time University and when I got hired by my current company. I really didn't like it.

If you're looking for a quality college with an amazing reputation, Waseda is one of the best in the country. If you tell a Japanese person you studied at Waseda, they'll be really impressed. Tsukuba is also really well respected, as is Hokkaido University. I don't know the others.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Tsuchinoko

Jon_Talbain wrote:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

I feel the same way about American stand-up comedy, I just don't get it. Its so blunt, and sarcastic, and in-your-face, which is the total opposite of the culture here.

To be honest, I'm an American, and I hate most American humor for the reasons you listed. It's not funny, it's just overbearing and offensive. That's why I never watch stand-up anymore. However, I don't get most Japanese humor, either, though I do agree that it's pretty much the opposite of American humor. I prefer something more in-between. British Humor tends to be stuff I laugh at more. though there's plenty of examples in American and Japanese culture, too.

I understand what you're saying. And to be honest, there are a few American comedians I still like. Stand-up comedian Maria Bamford is very funny, she's actually somewhat similar to a lot of the comedy we have in Japan. Japanese comedy is actually very different from what a lot of people think it is. It plays a lot on word play, cultural humor, very situational humor. Japanese comedians can be extremely funny without being offensive.

It seems to me that, more and more, American comedians are relying on offensive jokes to get laughs, and very few comedians in the States rely on anything other than crude humor. I actually think your British comedy reference is funny, since I find British comedians these days, like Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle. Of course, the lovely Graham Norton (of who I've been a huge fan) does it both ways, being funny while using silly gags and stories to get genuine laughs, and then the occasional stronger joke.

I don't see any big reason why, in and of itself, offensive humor is bad when used occasionally, but I'm not a fan of offensive jokes towards specific races, nationalities, or other such groups. That's something I NEVER see in Japan. the only thing I ever see here, and it's still kind of rare, is the occasional rude joke towards a fellow celebrity.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

CanisWolfred

Tsuchinoko wrote:

I don't see any big reason why, in and of itself, offensive humor is bad when used occasionally, but I'm not a fan of offensive jokes towards specific races, nationalities, or other such groups. That's something I NEVER see in Japan. the only thing I ever see here, and it's still kind of rare, is the occasional rude joke towards a fellow celebrity.

I don't like those jokes either, not even when they're trying to make fun of the stereotype, but I think the only reason you don't see it neary as often in Japan is because they aren't exposed to different nationalities on a daily basis, so the jokes just wouldn't work over there.

With that said, there are some notable racist jokes in Japanese media that I know of, it's just that they're more subtle about it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

Tokyo Eye was on today!

They covered the Shinkansen (bullet train).

First, they highlighted the steps you need to take to make sure you don't miss your train (especially if you don't speak Japanese). Trains going west are marked with blue logos & gates, while trains going east have green logos & gates. Trains come & go roughly every 3 mins, and the average departure delay is only a little over 30 seconds. They gave prices for non-reserved, reserved, & first class seating.

They then explained the safety of the trains & system, showing all the safety measures the train's components go through (some every other day, some every month, some every 18 months, and some every 3 years). They also showed the nightly renovations that go on along the tracks every night. They showed "Dr. Yellow", a shinkansen that measures even the slightest distortion in the track or pantegraph, in order for it to be fixed. They also highlighted the safety measures in case of earthquakes. Seismometers are attached to the shinkansen's power supplies all across the nation, and at the sign of even the slightest shake, the power shuts off, with the trains coming to a full stop 3 seconds later!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Begin Japanology was on today. They covered the role of Potatoes, Taros, & Yams in Japanese cuisine & history.

All three legumes are inexpensive in Japan, making their presence wide spread through the nation.

During times of famine, the sweet potato saved countless lives (and possibly even the nation), as it grew in harsh conditions. It was tough though, as Japanese farmers (around Edo especially), held the misconception that sweet potatoes were poisonous. Also, the Japanese word for potato is derived from Jakarta, the Indonesian city that introduced the legume to Japan.

Taros have been harvested in Japan before rice. A certain kind of taro is made into a gelatinous substance. While it doesn't have much taste, it's eaten for it's texture, and is widely used as a diet food in Japan. It can also be used to make sponges, or a kind of adhesive.

Yams are also widely eaten in Japan. They followed a "yam hunter", as he went out & searched for wild yams in the mountains. Wild yams are held in high regard, as they're more tasteful than their farmed counterparts.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Tsuchinoko wrote:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

International Christian University is otherwise known as Kokusai Kirisuto Daigaku, its really famous, but it really will try to appeal to foreigners more than any University on that list. I went there for one semester while I was slumming between my full-time University and when I got hired by my current company. I really didn't like it.

If you're looking for a quality college with an amazing reputation, Waseda is one of the best in the country. If you tell a Japanese person you studied at Waseda, they'll be really impressed. Tsukuba is also really well respected, as is Hokkaido University. I don't know the others.

Can you only do study abroad for one semester or can you like re-apply and do it multiple times? I'd like to do it for longer than one semester at least

God loves you

Snagrio

RR529 wrote:

Begin Japanology was on today. They covered the role of Potatoes, Taros, & Yams in Japanese cuisine & history.

All three legumes are inexpensive in Japan, making their presence wide spread through the nation.

During times of famine, the sweet potato saved countless lives (and possibly even the nation), as it grew in harsh conditions. It was tough though, as Japanese farmers (around Edo especially), held the misconception that sweet potatoes were poisonous. Also, the Japanese word for potato is derived from Jakarta, the Indonesian city that introduced the legume to Japan.

Taros have been harvested in Japan before rice. A certain kind of taro is made into a gelatinous substance. While it doesn't have much taste, it's eaten for it's texture, and is widely used as a diet food in Japan. It can also be used to make sponges, or a kind of adhesive.

Yams are also widely eaten in Japan. They followed a "yam hunter", as he went out & searched for wild yams in the mountains. Wild yams are held in high regard, as they're more tasteful than their farmed counterparts.

Yay history! I'm being serious, history is one of my favorite subjects along with biology.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

RR529

^Yeah, I love history too. My favorite part of Begin Japanology, is when they explain the history of whatever subject they're discussing

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

LzWinky

@Tsuchinoko: What do you do in Japan anyway?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Aviator

LZBirdboi wrote:

Been there done that. www.nintendolife.com/forums/general_discussion/japan_discussion?start=440#reply-451

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

LzWinky

Aviator wrote:

LZBirdboi wrote:

Been there done that. www.nintendolife.com/forums/general_discussion/japan_discussion?start=440#reply-451

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

SMEXIZELDAMAN

LZBirdboi wrote:

Aviator wrote:

LZBirdboi wrote:

/me rolls around in thread with catgirls that speak Japanese~ kawaii desudesudesudesu! ♥♥

God loves you

RR529

J-Melo wasn't on last night.

Missed Itadakimatsu! Dining with the Chef today (if it was even on, with J-Melo missing last night, I wonder if they've switched up the schedule).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

LzWinky

The only reason I'd want to visit Japan is to me Hayao Miyazaki. I would love to chat with him

RR529

Wow, NHK World has completely shuffled their lineup, so I'm going to be a bit confused for awhile.

Anywho, Journeys in Japan was on tonight (used to be Tokyo Fashion Express).

They went to Nagoya, and highlighted the city's relationship with Miso (various restaurants, how it's made, and history).

Sorry I wasn't more detailed (since I didn't know it would be on tonight, I didn't check to see what the episode was going to be about beforehand).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

JunkosBoobies

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

LZBirdboi wrote:

Aviator wrote:

LZBirdboi wrote:

/me rolls around in thread with catgirls that speak Japanese~ kawaii desudesudesudesu! ♥♥

wait...
what do you mean by "catgirls"?

Discord: JunkosBoobies#5379
Backloggery
MAL
DeviantArt
Avatar: Junko Enoshima (Danganronpa)

3DS Friend Code: 0447-7094-2346 | Nintendo Network ID: DeviousCrossing | Twitter:

Magikarp3

RR529 wrote:

Wow, NHK World has completely shuffled their lineup, so I'm going to be a bit confused for awhile.

Anywho, Journeys in Japan was on tonight (used to be Tokyo Fashion Express).

They went to Nagoya, and highlighted the city's relationship with Miso (various restaurants, how it's made, and history).

Sorry I wasn't more detailed (since I didn't know it would be on tonight, I didn't check to see what the episode was going to be about beforehand).

They have miso soup in sachets here which are just-add-water, but I've always wanted to make it proper. I've also wanted to make proper yakisoba, although I dunno if the ingredients available here are the real deal or not. There never seem to be any Japanese orientated supermarkets here; only Chinese and Korean

then again, I bet the best stuff is mostly homemade or family made rather than branded, just like every other cuisine

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

Jeremyx7

Magikarp wrote:

I bet the best stuff is mostly homemade or family made rather than branded, just like every other cuisine

.......Truth!

Wii U online games: Mario Kart 8, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Need 4 Speed: Most Wanted U

3DS online games: Kid Icarus Uprising, Tetris Axis

3DS Friend Code: 4554-0287-3926 | Nintendo Network ID: Jeremyx7

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.