Forums

Topic: Japan Discussion

Posts 421 to 440 of 843

Hokori

@jon there's nothing wrong with being 30 it's just there's only a certain amount of years we live, so my goal is to get there ASAP

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

CanisWolfred

@Tsuchinoko And I think if there was an easy way to learn languages...would we really need 12 years of schooling just to learn our native language(s)?

@HarmoKnight - Man you really remind me of me sometimes. Do you have a lot of anxiety? Because that sounds like something that goes through my mind when I'm anxious.

Also, the Tengu is interesting. It has bird-like characteristics? So that's why Tenguman could fly. I always wondered about that.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Hokori

Ok so I looked up some symbols and the words: alcohol, rain, drawing, and rice field look exactly how I would picture them to be drawn on a piece of paper, if they were indeed the correct form in kanji

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

Hokori

^yep that's what I thought

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

Jani-Koblaney

Man, why can't people understand that college isn't made for everyone? Also there are plenty of other jobs that earn you quite a bit of money with out a college degree. For example, my starting wages when I used to paint was $15 per hour and I worked plenty of hours. That isn't bad for a starting job at all and it required zero college..

Edited on by Jani-Koblaney

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852 | Nintendo Network ID: NJanders

LzWinky

joker94 wrote:

Man, why can't people understand that college isn't made for everyone? Also there are plenty of other jobs that earn you quite a bit of money with out a college degree. For example, my starting wages when I used to paint was $15 per hour and I worked plenty of hours. That isn't bad for a starting job at all and it required zero college..

Doctors, lawyers, and teachers went to college

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CanisWolfred

joker94 wrote:

Man, why can't people understand that college isn't made for everyone?

Lots of people get that. Only problem is that that those people aren't in charge...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Hokori

It's sad because college doesn't mean your smart or hard working or vis versa

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

SMEXIZELDAMAN

@tsuchinoko Dood you give really good advice and I am interested in Japanese language and culture. I don't know about moving there or anything, but a study abroad program during college would be really cool. In college what was your major/minor that let you take Japanese language courses and do the study abroad program? I am a Junior in high school and just starting college visits and I'd like to find some with good Japanese language programs and with a study abroad program ther (not assuming you know all the colleges or whatever) but to take Japanese language and culture classes do you have to major or minor in japanese language and culture? I don't really know what I want to do for college other than continue my studies in Spanish and then study Japanese language and culture as well so I'd like some advice on how to best go about doing that and study abroad program as well.
Also, you do a really good job on those translation articles on the site (well I'm assuming you do and don't just make it say random stuff to screw with us xD) and it's cool that you do stuff like that on NL. Seems like you worked hard to achieve your dream of moving to Japan and I admire you for that. Keep up the good work man

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Tsuchinoko

joker94 wrote:

I'm not saying it is for everyone, I never said it was, but the requirement for any job in Japan that will grant a workers visa to a foreigner has a minimum of a Bachelor's degree as part of its entree stipulations. If he really wants to live in a foreign country, legally, there's a lot he has to do before that.

Sure, if he doesn't go to college, he can work a lot of jobs in his own country, particularly in trade schools, but he won't have a chance of coming here. Even if he was just going to go to, lets say a trade vocational program for computers or something, his lack of Japanese skills would also make it so he has zero chance.

So sure, college isn't for everyone, but for the things he wants, its one of the only things that will even give him a chance of going to step one in the process.

@SMEXIZELDAMAN What area do you live in? These days a lot of areas in North America/EU have good Japanese programs, but depending on where you live, there might not be anyone to practice with. The amount of people emigrating out of Japan is significantly less than it was in the 70's and 80's.

I do have some recommendations for schools in Japan, so if the colleges you look at in your own country send students to those schools, I can give you my impressions of them. Even going for jobs after college domestically, having some of these Japanese colleges on your job resume looks really good.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Jani-Koblaney

oh ok. I get you

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852 | Nintendo Network ID: NJanders

Aviator

HarmoKnight wrote:

There is a community college near me, I just feel like 4 or less years is just as bad as none, for me that's why I'd do 8, I know "technically" some is better then none, but it just feels like giving up if I only do half of what's possible

Quality does not equal quantity.

What do you want to do in the work place.

Living in Japan and finding a girl funnily enough isn't doesn't have the best employment opportunities.

Think about what you want to do with your life (work wise), then look at what courses in college will help you achieve that.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Tsuchinoko

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

@tsuchinoko Also, you do a really good job on those translation articles on the site (well I'm assuming you do and don't just make it say random stuff to screw with us xD) and it's cool that you do stuff like that on NL. Seems like you worked hard to achieve your dream of moving to Japan and I admire you for that. Keep up the good work man

Oh, and thank you for the compliment. I take some liberties with the translations of those videos, more out of time and space saving than anything else. For the 45 minute videos, translating all that dialogue and text would take a lot more time than the 2 hours it takes me to write what I usually send in. I usually watch the videos 3-4 times, take out the unnecessary parts in my head while I'm writing, and change things around based on culture differences or intent of the speaker. I'm not a fan of the Google/Babelfish methos of translation, where you do a word-for-word literal translation based on dictionary definitions. For something English/Spanish or English/German, its a bit easier to find words that will mean the exact same thing, but Japanese is so different, grammatically, culturally, and linguistically that its impossible not to have to tweak things when translating meaning.

I'm not a fan of culture tweaks though, so I will usually write the original word in Roman letters (the alphabet), then write the most common meaning in parenthesis. If a word in Japanese just doesn't exist in English, I won't make up a meaning for it, but I'll explain it. A lot of Japanese translators don't like literal or culture changing translations. This is one of the reasons why, and I love them for putting the money and effort in, many Japanese speakers don't like the Disney translations for some of the Ghibli movies. Mononoke-hime (Princess Mononoke) in particular has quite a few problems that stand out for me.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Hokori

Well I'm going to go see what my friends know about moving to Japan, since some of them want to move as well, maybe they can help with what I need, since I see it as there's always many different paths to achieve a goal, I'll see which path is right for me

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

TheDreamingHawk

I'm actually in the same boat Harmoknight is, and want to move to Japan to take a collage there when I get old enough. I've been preparing early, however, by trying more japan-only food and also learning their language (I can read the kanji in YS II Nes, FFII NES, and Mother NES very well now, helping me in the games)

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

Hokori

The hardest kanji based game I've played is Jump ultimate stars... I really wish there was a way to change the text to Japanese in all my games (not just RE R, DoAD, and pokedex 3D) I'd love to try an RPG in Japanese, also Kid Icarus Uprising in Japanese to listen to what they say compared to the NA can do what ever fits, because IIRC that was one of the first Nintendo games that they didn't really translate at all they just put dialog in that fit the situation

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

CanisWolfred

HarmoKnight wrote:

also Kid Icarus Uprising in Japanese to listen to what they say compared to the NA can do what ever fits, because IIRC that was one of the first Nintendo games that they didn't really translate at all they just put dialog in that fit the situation

That makes so much sense now...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Tsuchinoko wrote:

joker94 wrote:

I'm not saying it is for everyone, I never said it was, but the requirement for any job in Japan that will grant a workers visa to a foreigner has a minimum of a Bachelor's degree as part of its entree stipulations. If he really wants to live in a foreign country, legally, there's a lot he has to do before that.

Sure, if he doesn't go to college, he can work a lot of jobs in his own country, particularly in trade schools, but he won't have a chance of coming here. Even if he was just going to go to, lets say a trade vocational program for computers or something, his lack of Japanese skills would also make it so he has zero chance.

So sure, college isn't for everyone, but for the things he wants, its one of the only things that will even give him a chance of going to step one in the process.

@SMEXIZELDAMAN What area do you live in? These days a lot of areas in North America/EU have good Japanese programs, but depending on where you live, there might not be anyone to practice with. The amount of people emigrating out of Japan is significantly less than it was in the 70's and 80's.

I do have some recommendations for schools in Japan, so if the colleges you look at in your own country send students to those schools, I can give you my impressions of them. Even going for jobs after college domestically, having some of these Japanese colleges on your job resume looks really good.

I live in Ohio. I'll be looking in to study abroad programs for the colleges I visit. Could you throw a couple of those recommendations for schools in Japan so I can listen for which schools they have a partnership with or w/e? I'll try to write down and get info. Thanks for your willingness for advice, dood Also do you have any particular Japanese - English dictionaries to recommend or books to help w/ the learning process. I have this kanji book checked out from the library called "A Guide to Writing Kanji and Kana" by Wolfgang Hadamitzky and Mark Spahn. It has a lot of kanji in it and seems pretty cool I am writing kanji out of that for now and I have like a English - Japanese dictionary that I found lying around only it's published in like 1991 and the kanji one is like 90s too xD

Edited on by SMEXIZELDAMAN

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Snagrio

I actually do have some questions, purely curious.
Do most people in Japan actually just sleep on the bare floor with nothing but a simple sheet and pillow? I can never imagine myself doing that, I'm happy with my double think comfy mattress.
Also, do most homes actually not have tables and everyone just sits on mats? Pardon me if I'm being stereotypical, but that's why I'm asking such questions so I may know better. It must be because I've been watching anime a lot lately, but I've suddenly been wanting to know more about Japanese culture.

Edited on by Snagrio

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.