Forums

Topic: Japan Discussion

Posts 401 to 420 of 843

Tsuchinoko

theblackdragon wrote:

@Tsuchinoko: So what are your thoughts on the mythical Tengu, then? :3

Haha, I have no thoughts. I know what it is, what it looks like, but other than references in comedy shows or other little bits, I don't really hear about stuff like that. I did take culture and history classes in my University (Doshisha in Kyoto), but my main interests we always language based.

Of course, there are some things that interest me. Look at my user name for instance

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Hokori

Well could I go to college there? Like to study? Sorry my intention isn't to offend
I really do want to go there, I just wish that the only option wasn't an option I know I'll fail at

Edited on by Hokori

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

Tsuchinoko

@Harmoknight ...you're not offending me. I'm not bothered by any of that in the slightest. I just think you need to learn a lot more about life in general, take time to figure out what you want before making such huge decisions. You don't even know enough to know when something is unobtainable in your current mindset.

And yes, you can go to college in Japan, though it costs a lot of money since you most likely won't be working here (since you can't really speak Japanese). Japanese universities have even higher admission standards than most American universities, and if you flunk out, you lose your student visa and its back to the States with you. Plus you'd have to pay living expenses, health insurance (which is required to live here), transportation, food, and everything else. Its too much money to try to self fund unless you come from money.

Like I said, find a college (domestic), study Japanese as seriously and devotedly as you can, enter into the study abroad program and then you can study Japanese in Japan. Get serious about work and study, that's the only way to get things done.

You keep talking about real smarts and fake smarts, but I haven't heard one thing from you that indicates that you know anything about any of this. Really, I learned nothing in high school, college (both in the States and in Japan) was where I did most of my life learning. Wake up, go to college, get real smarts, and get serious. I can't even tell you the number of hobbies, dates, invitations to hang out with friends, and vices that I passed on so that I could work and study to get where I am.

Other than that there's nothing more I can say about it.

Anyway, about the topic--------------

One thing that has interested me a bit, no matter where I go, is the belief that many Japanese people in general have about the supernatural. Coming from a mixed background, I knew this wasn't unique, but it clashes a bit with how down-to-earth and logical Japanese people can be as a whole. I'm Mexican on my mother's side, so I know all about superstitions and hexes, but most Japanese people I've spoken to have told me they believe in things like ghosts or spirits. The influence of those beliefs are everywhere.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

CanisWolfred

HarmoKnight wrote:

Well could I go to college there? Like to study? Sorry my intention isn't to offend
I really do want to go there, I just wish that the only option wasn't an option I know I'll fail at

College there? I think it would be easier to start here and then study abroad. You'd have to get serious about it, though. You could probably start by taking a few classes at the closest community college. That's what I intend to do to learn how to draw and maybe learn Japanese.

OT: I love researching mythology. I see I have something new to look up! Thanks, your Donness!

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

blazerhot

I got a question for @Tuchinoko

Hey! My 3ds fc is 5370-0953-5181! Looking for people who play multiplayer often, nice people or japanease speakers to improve my skills

Tsuchinoko

blazerhot wrote:

I got a question for @Tuchinoko

Umm, ok?

Hokori

I guess I could go To college to just learn Japanese and do some art... It's just if I were to go to college I would've wanted to do something BIG, like an 8 year college with math and all the harder for me subjects, but I don't wanna be 30 when I move there
Also @jon, I didn't know you were mickymac... You seem different (in a good way)

Edited on by Hokori

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

Tsuchinoko

HarmoKnight wrote:

I guess I could go To college to just learn Japanese and do some art... It's just if I were to go to college I would've wanted to do something BIG, like an 8 year college with math and all the harder for me subjects, but I don't wanna be 30 when I move there

But you can't have everything you want right away. I mean, I'm 27, I first came to Japan through study abroad when I was 23.

I still don't get it, if your purpose is Japanese, then just study what you want. You said you don't even like college, so why would you then do an 8 year plan. Why must you suffer yourself to go though such extremes? The thing is, if you don't want to start when you're 30, then you have to start right away. Piddling away about how you don't like the college system, or you don't have goals, all that's doing is putting your future off.

The_Fox

@HarmoKnight
Is there a local community college in your area? You could always try that for a semester or two and see how you take to it. Who knows, maybe it'll turn out to be something you'll really enjoy.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

blazerhot

When i go japan on vacation, are there alot japanese/english speakers who can assist us. example: stores, hotels, taxi, resturants

Hey! My 3ds fc is 5370-0953-5181! Looking for people who play multiplayer often, nice people or japanease speakers to improve my skills

Tsuchinoko

blazerhot wrote:

When i go japan on vacation, are there alot japanese/english speakers who can assist us. example: stores, hotels, taxi, resturants

Hmm, not really. I mean, a lot of people understand a bit, nearly everyone only speaks Japanese and nothing else. They all have to study in school, but it just gives them a basic background in the language. They don't know how to use it, and most of them forget it all by the time they get to college if they don't study it there.

Of course, if you use a travel agency, there's a lot of people working in that field who can speak if to an extent, though I've heard some really poor usage even from them. I'm sure you can find people to help you around, but don't count on that happening everywhere. I'd expect it in the big hotels near the airports, but I'd never expect to go to a restaurant, or a taxi, or any random store and hear anything buy Japanese.

Most of the time though, you never really have to speak. Restaurants have pictures on the menu you can point at, stores and shops will show you the prices visually, and other such small things exists. Once you get out of the airport area though, your chances for English assistance drops a lot. Most of the time when people approach me on the street for something, they speak in full Japanese.

Hokori

There is a community college near me, I just feel like 4 or less years is just as bad as none, for me that's why I'd do 8, I know "technically" some is better then none, but it just feels like giving up if I only do half of what's possible

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

blazerhot

wow , its so hard to read the langauage too. Speaking it is not so hard but reading those symbols would be impossiable to read. If i go Japan i would probaly die of starvation

blazerhot

Their were some errors in my paragraph above . sorry

Hokori

Yeah speaking it isn't so hard and reading it with letters like the ones I'm typing isn't hard, but the Japanese text is the hard part

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

blazerhot

yea maybe Tsuchnoko knows a easy way

CanisWolfred

HarmoKnight wrote:

Well, if you go that route, It's costly (no aid) and you won't get a degree, but the point is more to acclimate you to college and give you some skills even if you find you don't like it. You still should probably try for at least a 2 year degree, if not a 4 year (2 years tend to cram more classes, I think. That's how it was for me at least) at some point, at least once you figure out what you want to do for a real career.

And what's wrong with being 30?

Also @jon, I didn't know you were mickymac... You seem different (in a good way)

Probably because I never act myself when I'm under the monicker of "Mickeymac", a name I'm trying to distance myself from. This is just me, being myself here for once.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

blazerhot wrote:

wow , its so hard to read the langauage too. Speaking it is not so hard but reading those symbols would be impossiable to read. If i go Japan i would probaly die of starvation

It's actually not that hard to read once you know what they're supposed to say. Though I find I often have to squint at Kanji. They were definitely not made for 12 point or lower font...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tsuchinoko

blazerhot wrote:

yea maybe Tsuchnoko knows a easy way

What easy way? There's no easy way or cheat for anything. Get your head in those books! Study, have discipline, make it your life. That's the only way to master anything.

If you think Japanese is hard, that just means you have to study more. The harder something is, the more time and energy you need to put into it. Study!

You think anyone who studies Japanese seriously has time for video games and anime all day? I'm not nearly as studious as some of my friends, but even I have like, 3 dictionaries, 5 different textbooks, a really expensive electronic dictionary (trilingual with French as well), mountains of flashcards, at about 2-3 years into my Japanese study I cut off all English usage with my Japanese friends, I moved in with a Japanese roommate when I was in california and had a Japanese only policy. I got really serious about it.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.