Forums

Topic: How will SOPA affect video game review/forum sites?

Posts 121 to 140 of 241

Odnetnin

Viceroy_Khaoz wrote:

Just saying, but the Obama Administration does not approve of SOPA and PIPA. Unless there is a forced veto of the veto, then SOPA and PIPA will not pass. In other words, we're pretty much safe.

USE THE POCKET VETO OBAMA

Also, my friend thought of the "quickly stop loading the page" workaround about five seconds after hearing about the blackout.

Edited on by Odnetnin

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

sykotek

This is pretty much the only real reason I oppose any sort of censorship to the internet. The internet is a driving force for global unity. I feel censorship and marginalizing of the internet as it currently exists will be the beginning of the end for us as a species.
[youtube:vXqbi3kaYxg]
Seriously, I do think in worst case scenarios.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

Bankai

Capt_N wrote:

The Gov shouldn't be telling me what I can/can't view online. & I agree Google, of all sites, should black out.

Oh look, since we're going to start talking about the philosophy behind SOPA now...

What on earth makes you think you have a right to access copyrighted materials for free? While the execution of the SOPA bill is flawed, the idea behind it is watertight. The Government should damn well be trying to curb copyright theft. Because copyright theft, however cool it sounds to pretend media companies are evil corporations, does cost jobs (lots of jobs), and has a direct impact on the quality of the entertainment you and I end up with.

Oh, and I can think of a whole lot of illegal material that you should have no right to access, too, while we're on topic.

This is the thing I hate about all these controversies. Stuff like SOPA happens, and it's a bad idea, but then the protestors go and mess the debate up by saying and doing things that are even less rational or justifiable.

I feel censorship and marginalizing of the internet as it currently exists will be the beginning of the end for us as a species.

Really. So when they censored books a few hundred years ago, and censored public speakers a few thousand years ago, it was also the beginning of the end for us as a species.

Yep. The Internet is the first thing in the history of humantiy to be censored.

I'll never understand why people seem to think the Internet should be a Wild West anyway. Anarchy is a ruinous concept, and anarchy is the real enemy to civilization. And yet this "free" Internet people get all angry for is exactly that, a proposal for anarchy.

Edited on by Bankai

the_shpydar

Ya know Waltz, some times i really do love you. Thanks for summing up my feelings so well.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Aviator

@Waltz
Untitled

Edited on by Aviator

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

sykotek

Really, what's the point of arguing with Waltz? It's like arguing with a wall. Regardless of how well I respond or don't, he'll feel his position is correct, the end. I do have to clarify a few things though about my position though.
a) I am not for piracy.
b) I am against censorship.

YellowChocobo wrote:

Really. So when they censored books a few hundred years ago, and censored public speakers a few thousand years ago, it was also the beginning of the end for us as a species.

No, don't be ridiculous, obviously it was not, BUT we don't know how much knowledge we've lost because of various book burnings or the loss of libraries and vast tomes of knowledge possibly contained in libraries such as the one in Alexandria. Who knows where we would be now technologically/socially/spiritually, if the knowledge and contents of those books would have become widely available. As for the doomsday scenario, I readily admitted in my last post, that I see the worst case scenario, so what's the problem? Our society, in the last few years, become much more reliant on the internet to spread knowledge and information. That's not comparable to points you've brought up.

YellowChocobo wrote:

Yep. The Internet is the first thing in the history of humantiy to be censored.

Didn't say that, but the internet is more than just a place for people to pirate stuff too.

YellowChocobo wrote:

I'll never understand why people seem to think the Internet should be a Wild West anyway. Anarchy is a ruinous concept, and anarchy is the real enemy to civilization. And yet this "free" Internet people get all angry for is exactly that, a proposal for anarchy.

I think the anarchy that is the internet has done pretty good so far without this legislation. Again, I'm not for piracy, but if businesses feel the need to come up with legislation to curb it rather than changing their business model to combat it, they should go back to the drawing board with new legislation.

Really, don't feel you need to respond @Waltz or anyone, I've made my position on this really clear at the top of this post. I'm not gonna bother wasting my time debating this point with you all day.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

Bankai

Really, what's the point of arguing with Waltz? It's like arguing with a wall. Regardless of how well I respond or don't, he'll feel his position is correct, the end. I do have to clarify a few things though about my position though.

Only when I am right. If you can come up with a single good argument against censorship then off you go.

I'm going to win by saying two little words that TBD would then need to censor, though. Thus proving my point further.

No, don't be ridiculous, obviously it was not, BUT we don't know how much knowledge we've lost because of various book burnings or the loss of libraries and vast tomes of knowledge possibly contained in libraries such as the one in Alexandria. Who knows where we would be now technologically/socially/spiritually, if the knowledge and contents of those books would have become widely available. As for the doomsday scenario, I readily admitted in my last post, that I see the worst case scenario, so what's the problem? Our society, in the last few years, become much more reliant on the internet to spread knowledge and information. That's not comparable to points you've brought up.

No, you missed what I said completly. If censorship is the beginning of the end of humanity, then humanity would have died out before it even got going. It is completely irrelevant how much "knowledge" is lost, since 1000 years from now the "lost knowledge" of the Internet would also be completely forgotten.

Good ideas have a habit of hanging around, even if they are censored. History has taught us that time and time again, and it would prove true here as well. History is not on your side when you say "all this knowledge would be gone!"

(And before you ask for examples: Marquis De Sade, Galilleo, Darwin, Michelangelo)

As for the doomstay scenario, the only problem is it makes you look slightly crazy. It's a little hard to give a crazy dude much respect in a philisphical debate.

Didn't say that, but the internet is more than just a place for people to pirate stuff too.

Yes, and SOPA won't make the whole Internet disappear. This isn't black and white, all or nothing. If you want to argue the merits and failings of SOPA, learn to see grey.

I think the anarchy that is the internet has done pretty good so far without this legislation.

Protip: The Internet is already censored. GASP. Philisophically, a new law to protect the rights of the companies on an already-censored Internet that make the stuff you apparently enjoy is a good thing.

Again, I'm not for piracy, but if businesses feel the need to come up with legislation to curb it rather than changing their business model to combat it,

Oh yeah. It's so easy to change your business model to compete with... your own material which is being given away for free. I think you should apply for the CEO job at Universal. You'll clearly nail it.

Edit: Just to clarify before someone comes and gets upset with me for being the big bad meanie Chocobo, I'm not saying you have to agree with SOPA. I don't agree with SOPA. It's a very badly written bill.

What I am saying is that if you want to argue against it, use a rational debate. "It's the end of humanity," or "The Govenment has no right to tell me what to do," are hysterical arguments that do your cause more harm than good.

Edited on by Bankai

komicturtle

He's back and putting the logic back into Nintendolife

komicturtle

FOREST_RANGER

I don't know, I think people just hate the bill itself. The bill's provision is a bit ambiguous and many people worry that it could give big companies control over the internet. I like Chocobo's viewpoint of the bill's foundation and his support for copyright, but it just seems too little-thought-out. There's no telling out what would happen. Think about little independent companies with potentially bright minds...think about the journalists who cover games <hint hint>

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

komicturtle

Dang, what did I do to deserve this?

I'm head over heels here!

komicturtle

Aviator

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

I always end up looking like the big bad bully

Indeed, although some may see you as a bully, you are incredibly informed. A certain nekkid fairy agree's with you 99% of the time.

QUEEN OF SASS

You know
But I'm just like

Shirma_Akayaku

SOPA and PIPA are complete idiots. they take the after affect of what could happen very lightly. it's even probably a joke to them.
I'm extremely worried about this thing going on. Will I be able to see art created by others?
look at this http://www.lapfoxtrax.com/
it says " art inspires art. don't let them take that away"
even this saying is inspiring (to me).
EDIT: let me re-phrase that
people who work and encourage SOPA and PIPA to pass the law are complete idiots. they take the after affect of what could happen very lightly. it's even probably a joke to them.
I'm extremely worried about this thing going on. Will I be able to see art created by others?
look at this http://www.lapfoxtrax.com/
it says " art inspires art. don't let them take that away"
even this saying is inspiring (to me).

Edited on by Shirma_Akayaku

Wi-Fi Game List:
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Splatoon
Super Smash Bros. Wii U & 3DS + All DLC
Mario Kart 8 + All DLC
Mario Golf: World Tour + All DLC
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Wii U & 3DS Game Wish List:...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9553-9610 | Nintendo Network ID: Toadette75

Aviator

WhiteMage75 wrote:

SOPA and PIPA are complete idiots.

Didn't know they were people. Maybe I can add them on facebook?

QUEEN OF SASS

You know
But I'm just like

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.