Forums

Topic: How will SOPA affect video game review/forum sites?

Posts 101 to 120 of 241

Aviator

I don't believe that Australia is in a vacuum. So why do people think America is?

These two bills are located in the United States of America. Therefore, it affects Americans, not Australians. Yes, an Australian law may arise sometime in the near or far future that is an offspring from the ideas that both SOPA and PIPA present, however, as I stated above, there are no current plans to implement such laws in our society.

k8sMum wrote:

Is the lack of wiki for 24 hours going to ruin your life somehow?

Maybe I should clarify my thoughts on the blackouts. I am not an American. I do not live in America. Why am I unable to access this site, as well as others, because of a bill that may not even become law that isn't even located in my country?! If SOPA/PIPA were a threat in my country, and I opposed the ideas that they present, I would be for the black-out. However, none of those scenarios are the case. Even if the site was simply a search engine, or a site full of ads, why shouldn't I be able to access it?

Indeed, the possible ramifications of SOPA/PIPA may be detrimental to Americans and the sites that are affected. If some of the sites that I access, which the servers are based in the States may shut down, so be it. I'm not gonna rock in the fetal position in the corner because one, two, ten, twenty internet site(s) are shut down.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

cheetahman91

Viewtiful_Joe wrote:

Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo jumped off the bandwagon. IIRC correctly.

So... how can we make this SOPA BS go away? Or is it too late? I'm a little worried.

Yeah but they're all members of the ESA which as far as I know still supports it which means that they still indirectly support it.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

Ark

Malkeor wrote:

You can still kinda view the English Wikipedia! Just be quick with your screenshot button before the screen fades to the blackout!

scrolls article at lightning speed, printscreening like crazy

Or you could just press the "X" to stop the page from fully loading and read Wikipedia without any restrictions.

Usagi-san

Great scott! Syf's right!

"I never swear, my lord, I say yes or no; and, as I am a gentleman, I keep my word." - D'artagnan in Twenty Years After

edhe

I can read Wikipedia articles on my 3DS no problem.

Either the mobile site hasn't been accounted for, or it uses script to block the page that cannot be run on a 3DS.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

JayArr

It's sad that the site that could have the most impact protesting, Google, is doing nothing more than putting a black box over there name. No gives a **** that you cant read that.

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

LzWinky

bezerker99 wrote:

Use Wikipedia.com today via their mobile site http://en.m.wikipedia.org

Also, I'm planning on blacking out tonight in protest of SOPA. xD

You can also hit the Stop button next to the URL bar as the page loads and the blackout screen will not load

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Malkeor

LordJumpLz wrote:

bezerker99 wrote:

Use Wikipedia.com today via their mobile site http://en.m.wikipedia.org

Also, I'm planning on blacking out tonight in protest of SOPA. xD

You can also hit the Stop button next to the URL bar as the page loads and the blackout screen will not load

This is amazing! It's not even slightly annoying this way....

3DS Friend Code: 4296-2988-0518
Currently playing:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Radiant Historia

Shane904

Just add ?banner=none to a wikipedia url for no blacking out

Shane904

Malkeor

sak904 wrote:

Just add ?banner=none to a wikipedia url for no blacking out

To be honest I think completely blacking out website is more effective. Even if it can be exploited in the case of Wikipedia.

Edited on by Malkeor

3DS Friend Code: 4296-2988-0518
Currently playing:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Radiant Historia

JayArr

Untitled

SOPA has made us all into freaking dirty hipster trash! WHEN WILL THIS INSANITY END!!!!?

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

sykotek

JayArr wrote:

Untitled

SOPA has made us all into freaking dirty hipster trash! WHEN WILL THIS INSANITY END!!!!?

The insanity will end once all human life is wiped out on this shiny blue dot flying through space. Sad, but true.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

ShinRPGGamer

JayArr wrote:

Untitled

You're saying you'd rather have people lose their jobs, the internet become an anywhere but America system, and have an already fragile American economy cruble before your very eyes?

If so, then be my guest...

Formerly known as the artist Gmls719

1st Champion of the NLife Bowl.
Team: GmlsDragoonersUnited

Wii FC: 4905 5217 4099 5072
3DSFC: 3582 - 8742 - 0524

Chrono_Cross

JayArr is obviously against SOPA.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

sykotek

JayArr was against SOPA, before being against SOPA was cool.

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

Captain-N

The Gov shouldn't be telling me what I can/can't view online. & I agree Google, of all sites, should black out.

Captain-N

ShinRPGGamer

@SytoekandJoe: I belive the only way to reply to this is to self depravte myself...

Gmls719, you sir, do not understand sarcasm...on the internet... and your grammer's too inconsistent.

OT: The bill will not pass. There's just too many problems that can arise in this bill being passed.

Edited on by ShinRPGGamer

Formerly known as the artist Gmls719

1st Champion of the NLife Bowl.
Team: GmlsDragoonersUnited

Wii FC: 4905 5217 4099 5072
3DSFC: 3582 - 8742 - 0524

Aqueous

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/michael-geist/sopa-protest_b_121...
A friend sent me that. I'm not happy about this, at least some damage has been done to derail it, the world will expand if it goes through. I'd miss all the bronies and I'd be worried about nintendolife's safety as well. Hope it does not pass, alot of sites I enjoy think they are in danger and the video that currently is thatguywiththeglasses is grim.

Guest on NFR 57: http://nintendofreeradio.podbean.com/category/episode-57/

3DS Friend Code: 2793-0600-1156 | Nintendo Network ID: AqueousDoubt | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.