Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 1,370

CanisWolfred

Finally beat Spider-Man on PS4 100%. I'm not bothering to get a Gold medal completion on the challenges, though, that's clearly not worth my time.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

NintendoByNature

Just finished castlevania bloodlines and it was pretty solid. It was almost as good as super castlevania. Some of the boss fights were odd choices for a castlevania game and it didn't have that dark feel that most castlevania games have but it was still very fun. 7/10

NintendoByNature

Ralizah

Furi

Platform: Playstation 4

Level of completion: Achieved the best ending and defeated all bosses (including the optional final boss) on Furi difficulty. There are other modes, such as an unlockable difficulty, speedrun mode, etc., but I didn't bother very much with those.

What is it?: A cool indie boss rush. You play as a mysterious man fighting his way out of an incredibly elaborate space prison that is guarded by nine warriors who have dedicated their lives to keeping you from escaping.

Things I liked:

• For an indie title, the presentation is pretty genuinely stunning. You can tell it's not a big budget effort, but the art design is fantastic, and the character models are quite easy on the eyes.
  • The music, similarly, is quite impressive, with a number of contributions from exciting new synthwave musicians, including Waveshaper and Carpenter Brut.
  • There's a good deal of spoken dialogue in this game, and it's uniformly well-delivered and interestingly written.
  • The real dish on what's actually happening in the game isn't handed to you on a platter, and you're able to gradually read between the lines, so to speak, and figure out what's going on as the game progresses. The story itself is quite interesting, even if it does have some presentation issues.
  • Controls are razor-tight in this game. They'd have to be.
  • The battles in this game are simple enough mechanically, but also exhilarating due to the split-second timing required throughout. You'll learn to expertly switch between twin-stick shooting, melee sword combat, and dashing to evade enemy moves or sneak around them for a devastating surprise attack. And you'll really have to memorize enemy tells and become comfortable with your moveset, because defeat comes upon you like lightning in this game.
  • Despite the high skill level of the gameplay, it never felt unfair. You learn the rules early, and its up to you to twist them to your advantage to reign supreme. You'll learn early on about the value of baiting enemy attacks, for example.
  • Reloading to the beginning of a battle from the start menu is almost instantaneous, which is good, because, unless you're really, really skilled, you'll be doing this a lot.
  • This game also takes inspiration from bullet hell shooters, and every boss' final phase usually involves a sequence where you're desperately having to weave between countless enemy bullets or lasers to survive.

Things I disliked:

• While the story and worldbuilding itself is interesting, the way the story is presented in... underwhelming. I didn't mind the gradual drip of information related to what was going on as you progressed through the game, but the ending is incredibly anti-climactic. The real final boss is even hidden behind an optional ending. What particularly hurts about that is that the penultimate boss (the last mandatory boss encounter, though) is, far and away, the easiest one in the game. While I often struggled mightily to best a lot of the warriors in this game, and even died a number of times against the tutorial boss, I didn't die once against the final required boss encounter in this game. I do think there are thematic reasons for this, as she's very much presented as an amateur and a weakling, but it doesn't take away from the sense of disappointment I felt upon beating her.
  • Despite the interesting characters on display here, the one that accompanies you the most never gets a proper character arc, which is unfortunate, because it seemed like the game had been hinting at him playing a much larger role in the story than he ended up adopting.
  • The Furier difficulty option that unlocks after you complete the game once. Granted, I don't object to its existence, but the game is already reasonably difficult on the normal difficulty, and, when I tried beating the TUTORIAL BOSS on this higher difficulty level to see see what it was like (I've S-ranked a few of Cuphead's bosses on Expert difficulty and figured it couldn't be any worse than that), I discovered that he was almost more difficult to beat than the late-game bosses on the normal difficulty level. So... I won't be torturing myself like that.
  • The dash in this game only executes when you release the button, instead of when you first press it. I get why this is (like attacks, you can charge up your dashes, which is a necessary skill to master if you're going to dodge some utterly brutal attacks in this game), but it doesn't make it less annoying when the dash command always feels like it has the tiniest delay to it.
  • For some reason, when you beat a boss and are walking to the next one, the game transitions to fixed camera angles, like in a Resident Evil game. Aesthetically, this is fine, but fixed camera angles without tank controls kind of suck, and sometimes they're positioned in such a way that it's difficult to tell if I'm going the right way or heading back where I came from.

Conclusion: A superior effort all-around that is hampered by a small number of issues related to the narrative presentation and character development. Really impressed with Furi and am eager to play the developer's upcoming RPG now.

Verdict: 8/10

Ralizah

Heavyarms55

I recently finished my third campaign in the Thrawn's Revenge mod for Star Wars: Empire at War. It really is the sequel we never got for the 2007 game. But what is awesome is that the mod creator is making another new version adding more ships, ground units, another faction and more hero units too. He is also talking about adding in entirely new mechanics for faction governments! So it's an evolving mod that I will be returning to in a few months.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

NintendoByNature

Finished kid Dracula! 😀 pretty sweet I can say!

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

I recently finished the following;

Star Fox - A fairly decent game for its time. It leaves some stuff to the imagination, and it's impressive what they tried to do graphically on the SNES. That said, the 3D models here haven't aged well. I also found the controls to be pretty clunky.

Star Fox 2 - I liked the RTS elements here, as well as some of the new characters. The complaints about the controls remain, but the 3D models have been improved slightly. The spritework and mission structures here were more my style. It's a shame that this one is so short.... This version of Andross is a disappointment, too.

Donkey Kong Country - This isn't my first completion of this classic, but it's been awhile. Due to save states, I now don't have to run through all 99 lives while trapped in Gorilla Glacier. Wonderful platforming, stages, and music all around.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IV (DS), Yoshi's Island (SNES Classic)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx niceeee. I need to go back and play thru dkc, I've only played thru 3 at this point.

Side note: just beat castlevania Belmonts revenge and it was so much better than the adventure. Dracula was hard as hell though. Took me 20 or 30 trys.

NintendoByNature

Vinny

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance on PC.
It's amazing. Love the combat and soundtrack.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature I'm the opposite; I played the first DKC to death as a kid (well, up to the area mentioned above) but have never played the other original two. I intend to grab them both on the Wii U VC at some point.

A wonderful alternative would have been to have a way to customize what games appeared on our SNES Classic systems, but I know that's wishful thinking.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IV (DS), Yoshi's Island (SNES Classic)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx yea i hear you. I plan on grabbing so many Wii u and 3ds vc games before the eshop closes whenever that is. Dkc and Mario world games are on the list. Along with many others

NintendoByNature

MarioLover92

Just beat Team Sonic Racing's adventure mode. The game itself is really good, and the adventure mode isn't too shabby either (it's quite similar to Transformed's career mode). As I've said before, the team mechanic grew on me, and the tracks and soundtrack are amazing (my favorite tracks are Lost Palace and Sky Road). Now I can get some more time to play online races!

@NintendoByNature If you haven't already, I highly recommend the GBA version of Super Mario Bros. 3. It has all of the e-Reader levels, including ones that were Japan-exclusive. I bought it for the e-Reader levels alone and I don't regret doing it one bit.

Nintendo Life's (self-proclaimed) #1 Mario fan! Wahoo!

My Super Mario Maker 2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
Username: MarioFan92
Latest Level: Fight Fire With Fire! (9J1-JQM-SRF)

NintendoByNature

@MarioLover92 yea I was eyeing it. I did already get super mario advance: super mario world which i love. Still wana get all the other ones from the Mario, dkc, metroid, and yoshi universes.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

MarioLover92

@NintendoByNature I've been thinking of getting the GBA Castlevania games on the Wii U eShop, as well. I only played the old-school ones (I've played 1, 2, 4, Bloodlines, and Rondo of Blood - I wanna get the collection on the Switch), but I heard a lot of good things about the GBA games as well as Symphony of the Night.

NintendoByNature

@MarioLover92 so i got aria of sorrow for Wii u vc.. It was ok I guess. Not great enough for me to stay focused and finish it. I do however plan on going back to it though and trying to finish it. I struggle but enjoy/appreciate the metroidvania formula which the gba games utilize so be prepared for exploration. As for the castlevania collection it's so worth it. I can't recommend it enough if you like old school castlevania like i do. And sounds like you haven't played 3 yet. It's by far one of my favorite castlevania games.

NintendoByNature

MarioLover92

@NintendoByNature Yeah, I didn't play 3. I'll definitely play it once I get the collection

Ralizah

The Metroidvanias tend to coast on lazier level design (unlike Metroid games, which tend to have very intricately designed environments) and the RPG mechanics water down the skill requirements a bit. They're still good fun, though.

I really liked how Order of Ecclesia felt like it combined the strengths of the two different styles of 2D Castlevania design.

Ralizah

NintendoByNature

Finished castlevania 1 for the first time. think I'll take the plunge and start Simon's quest. Wish me luck folks

NintendoByNature

CanisWolfred

@NintendoByNature You'll need more than that. I recommend doing lots of drugs until you're in the correct mindset to comprehend what the level designers were thinking throughout its development.

Or, you know, feel free to look things up. You practically needed a Nintendo Power magazine back then to get through it, so there's no point in wasting your time whenever you get to a brick wall...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

NintendoByNature

@CanisWolfred hahaha I laughed pretty hard at this. I'm going to consult a guide for sure. I kinda wana what all the negative fuss is about. But after all, I did beat zelda 2 multiple times which was pretty hard in its own right.

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic